Riots in Minneapolis

annushorribilis III

I guess the term is irony, talking today and showing film of a man on the roof of the White House with fairly large automatic weapon, not something normally shown, the White House fenced and guarded as if in a war zone. An then I hear that Minneapolis where it all started are cancelling curfews for tonight and probably further, is that irony, guarded White House, home of the problem easing security. 

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Justin Z

• Sharpie

• The Internet

• alwaysthereinspirit

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

What a loaded thread title here by the way. "Riots in Minneapolis, police station attacked" 🤨 Talk about not the full story.

Two policemen charged for assault on a 74 year old man in Buffalo. 

Chokeholds by police no longer allowed in  Minneapolis. Sometimes you just feel like saying was that so difficult why didn't you do it years ago.

Edited by Sharpie

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Good. There has to be a root and branch overhall of policing in America after this, I'm not taking away the difficult job a Police Officer faces, you'll have come against some bad people in your time Bob?

9 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Chokeholds by police no longer allowed in  Minneapolis. Sometimes you just feel like saying was that so difficult why didn't you do it years ago.

More info on the Buffalo charges: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-buffalo-police-officers-charged-assault-over-alleged-shoving-75-n1226566

9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Good. There has to be a root and branch overhall of policing in America after this, I'm not taking away the difficult job a Police Officer faces, you'll have come against some bad people in your time Bob?

9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I have ,but more nice people. I just realise I shouldn't even be commenting on this thread I am from a different generation In my Edinburgh days we didn't have community policing we were, the beat men were the community policeman. I twas not a habit totreat the elderly with anything but respect as far as possible, same with women and children. When breaking up a brawl at the White Hoose it was not uncommon to wrap ones arm round a throat and squeeze, didn't take long nobody likes being the recipient of that treatment, so the chance of a fatality was less than minimal. The fact is as regular beat men your methods were known, I had the compliment on more than one occasion hearing the comment "its big blue eyes, shoat" meaning look out. The distance between the police an the public now makes the Atlantic Ocean look like a ditch

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Apparently, according to some guy on talksport saying"All lives Matter" is racists patter. No really! 

Saying all lives matter distracts away from the issue that black people have it a lot harder because of the colour of their skin in white society and it is for white people to make things better.

Of course all lives matter, but that isn't the argument!

Ibrahim Tall

Morons fighting with police in London. Wtf benefit to George Floyd and abusive policing in the US is a riot in a foreign country?

The disappointing thing is whilst protesting in London (and other places) to help save lives they are running the risk of taking life by not social distancing and many seem to think that's okay as if the cause should take priority.

Once more our police seem very reluctant to take action and that can only be through instruction from above.

You can (no indeed should protest) but you should not help the spread of infection which has killed thousands in this country alone

I wonder how some of them by their actions would feel if another human being caught the virus and this led to a person dying

Edited by CJGJ

9 minutes ago, kila said:

Saying all lives matter distracts away from the issue that black people have it a lot harder because of the colour of their skin in white society and it is for white people to make things better.

Police brutality is the argument. 

18 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Morons fighting with police in London. Wtf benefit to George Floyd and abusive policing in the US is a riot in a foreign country?

They will want to start the looting at some point, that’s the only reason some of the people turn up at these protests. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I don’t want to second guess what’s gone on in Whitehall but the videos of people pelting police and horses with objects are not cool. To be blunt, people are not going to be supportive of folk acting like that. It looks like an excuse to riot

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It looks like an excuse to riot

For many it will be, which, as you correctly say, will detract from the argument sadly. 

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, Shanks said:

They will want to start the looting at some point, that’s the only reason some of the people turn up at these protests. 

Undoubtedly, but obviously we can't tar them all with that brush, that would be ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Undoubtedly, but obviously we can't tar them all with that brush, that would be ridiculous.

Agree 100% 

Unknown user
Just now, Shanks said:

Agree 100% 

:thumbsup:

I quoted you but it wasn't meant to be aimed at you. There's a lot of people who use this minority to dismiss the whole thing when it's no more true than all cops batter OAPs.

The only thing that puzzles me is what is it that goes on in U.K. and Canada that denies that Black lives matter. In both modern day countries black people from many regions have been welcomed by immigration, and proved that black lives mattered by taking them in as refugees when there lives and way of life was threatened. In Toronto one of the worst crime problems is caused by Somalis, they are I believe black, they were not forced into crime but certainly participate in it. I have seen on numerous broadcasts a shooting in Toronto again where victim and suspect were both black, I take it that it is acceptable when a black murders a black, but rightly unacceptable when a white kills a black, I just don't though understand the concept. I was horrified with the police action on Floyd and understand the process there, I just don't understand the other part.

2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

The only thing that puzzles me is what is it that goes on in U.K. and Canada that denies that Black lives matter. In both modern day countries black people from many regions have been welcomed by immigration, and proved that black lives mattered by taking them in as refugees when there lives and way of life was threatened. In Toronto one of the worst crime problems is caused by Somalis, they are I believe black, they were not forced into crime but certainly participate in it. I have seen on numerous broadcasts a shooting in Toronto again where victim and suspect were both black, I take it that it is acceptable when a black murders a black, but rightly unacceptable when a white kills a black, I just don't though understand the concept. I was horrified with the police action on Floyd and understand the process there, I just don't understand the other part.

Thomas Sowell is worth reading.

Sawdust Caesar
1 hour ago, kila said:

Agreed.

blm.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Agreed.

blm.jpg

Are there any figures percentage wise how many blacks are killed by blacks compared to how many blacks are killed by whites. I know black gang v black gang in Chicago is brutal. Differences will cause comments, when I first came to Canada I walked through a corridor to get to the time clock. I met others coming the other way and acknowledged them with a hello. I became through time of regular laughter after ping and asked one of the girls why. She said we don't say hello and with your accent its really funny. On that occasion I was not referred to as a haggis basher, two definitely racist comments.

Riccarton3
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don’t want to second guess what’s gone on in Whitehall but the videos of people pelting police and horses with objects are not cool. To be blunt, people are not going to be supportive of folk acting like that. It looks like an excuse to riot

Be good to clarify who is actually doing the rioting. These protests sometim e s attract folks looking to discredit peaceful protest. Admittedly, likely more of a n issue in the US but tactics tend to get copied.

The two cops suspended for seriously injuring that defenceless old man were applauded by an honour guard of their follow officers on their way out of court today

:cornette:

The US police have SERIOUS problems.

Edited by Cade

Just turned Sky news on and they showing live a memorial service for Mr Floyd. 

Holy shit, that's some Bible thumping nonsense going on there.

42 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Are there any figures percentage wise how many blacks are killed by blacks compared to how many blacks are killed by whites. I know black gang v black gang in Chicago is brutal. Differences will cause comments, when I first came to Canada I walked through a corridor to get to the time clock. I met others coming the other way and acknowledged them with a hello. I became through time of regular laughter after ping and asked one of the girls why. She said we don't say hello and with your accent its really funny. On that occasion I was not referred to as a haggis basher, two definitely racist comments.

The authorities have no control over criminals killing/murdering someone, but they should have, at least in theory, control over how the police act.

A quick Google brought up the link below, which shows that in 2015 an unarmed black man was 5 times more likely to be killed when getting arrested than an unarmed white man.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed

Riccarton3
51 minutes ago, Cade said:

The two cops suspended for seriously injuring that defenceless old man were applauded by an honour guard of their follow officers on their way out of court today

:cornette:

The US police have SERIOUS problems.

We need Harry Callahan - Magnum Force

Edited by Riccarton3

2 hours ago, kila said:

This is spot on, kila.

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Just turned Sky news on and they showing live a memorial service for Mr Floyd. 

Holy shit, that's some Bible thumping nonsense going on there.

Sure I read somewhere he is having 4 funerals. 

jack D and coke
8 hours ago, kila said:

Ok then what is the argument? I’m being very honest here btw I’m not trying to be wide or whatever. I don’t know about you but I don’t have any issue with anyone if they’re a good sort. If someone deserves a job or whatever then regardless of their colour or religion or whatever then as far as I’m concerned they should get the gig. 
We all watched that incident and felt the same horror but does that stuff really happen here? 
Why are British people getting into knots about this? Plenty here to get mad about no? 
I read a big story on my Facebook tonight about a girl from my area who was black and grew up with a lot of racism and reading it I totally get it and feel her pain, she had a rough time I don’t doubt that but I saw white kids get the same treatment cause they were ginger or fat or ugly or poor or whatever. Bullying goes on in life imo. 
Surely all lives matter? This black thing does my head in tbh. 

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Ok then what is the argument? I’m being very honest here btw I’m not trying to be wide or whatever. I don’t know about you but I don’t have any issue with anyone if they’re a good sort. If someone deserves a job or whatever then regardless of their colour or religion or whatever then as far as I’m concerned they should get the gig. 
We all watched that incident and felt the same horror but does that stuff really happen here? 
Why are British people getting into knots about this? Plenty here to get mad about no? 
I read a big story on my Facebook tonight about a girl from my area who was black and grew up with a lot of racism and reading it I totally get it and feel her pain, she had a rough time I don’t doubt that but I saw white kids get the same treatment cause they were ginger or fat or ugly or poor or whatever. Bullying goes on in life imo. 

Pointless! Our lives don’t matter. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Fair comment.

7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

BFA858FC-8779-4C5A-BB61-C3715B84EF06.jpeg

D5D27745-A80D-41C1-99E6-3295E8FA10F8.jpeg

Edited by Swanny17

Bindy Badgy
18 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Cynical answer - because camera phones have only been a thing for the past 5-10 years so they could get away with it before. 

19 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Cynical answer - because camera phones have only been a thing for the past 5-10 years so they could get away with it before. 

Definitely, including Floyd. This whole thing is being magnified and blown up by widespread camera phones over past decade but as all police have body cams it should always be clear what occurred in any incident. 

Watching these fools yesterday brought back memories of 2011 when riots erupted over a known armed thugs death from police. You can bet a whole load of hoodlums down there are eyeing the looting and violence in the U.S with some envy. 

10 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

On the first point, not everybody feels like you, its 21 years since the Stephen Lawrence inquiry report and on the surface things have improved but institutional racism is still a huge issue.

On the second point, should "British" people not get angry about injustices around the world, of course they should. The idea that people wouldn't have demonstrated against apartheid seems ludicrous now, but that's what many argued at the time, and some of those people were even at Mandela's funeral.

On the third point of course they do, all lives matter, but it was a White policeman slowly killing a black man in handcuffs. It looked sadistic, we've been here before and rarely has there been any justice in the past.

Generally, your last point seems to feed into the far right agenda and if you weren't on a predominantly white, Scottish football forum you would have been slaughtered for it. I'm sure you didn't mean it to come across like that.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

BFA858FC-8779-4C5A-BB61-C3715B84EF06.jpeg

D5D27745-A80D-41C1-99E6-3295E8FA10F8.jpeg

No offence to you bud but I hate crap like that. 
On Shelagh Fogarty the other day she was having to defend her view unbelievably from black people who basically said they didn’t care if they infected people after these protests as BLM was more important than killing vulnerable people with Covid. 
James O’Brien has a caller who said he should quit his job and make sure a black person got his job too. 
This stuff gets out of control imo. 

9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

On the first point, not everybody feels like you, its 21 years since the Stephen Lawrence inquiry report and on the surface things have improved but institutional racism is still a huge issue.

On the second point, should "British" people not get angry about injustices around the world, of course they should. The idea that people wouldn't have demonstrated against apartheid seems ludicrous now, but that's what many argued at the time, and some of those people were even at Mandela's funeral.

On the third point of course they do, all lives matter, but it was a White policeman slowly killing a black man in handcuffs. It looked sadistic, we've been here before and rarely has there been any justice in the past.

Generally, your last point seems to feed into the far right agenda and if you weren't on a predominantly white, Scottish football forum you would have been slaughtered for it. I'm sure you didn't mean it to come across like that.

A fair post mate👍🏼

Edited by jack D and coke

Of course every life is precious.

But BAME people are being disproportionately harassed and killed by police.

That's just the fact of the matter.

That's what's being protested against.

It still happens here too, just not to the same severity as it does over in the States.

11 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

That's because you're a good guy, so all lives genuinely matter to you. But this isn't about you, or the other people who think like that. For far too many people, black lives don't matter at all and saying all lives matter deflects the focus away from that. It gives people a throwaway slogan to hide behind.

For some people, they actively hate black people and sadly we'll probably never change them, but we need to make them a minority and remove them from positions of influence.

Saying black lives matter for some will be uncomfortable, they probably aren't intentionally racist and/or aren't really sure what they think, or subconsciously ignore the issues black people face; those people can be educated to change so they understand and support the structural changes needed. All lives matter let's them say their piece and go back to blissful ignorance. Saying black lives matter forces them to really confront the issue and decide where they stand on it and learn more about it.

Regarding others who are bullied etc, by all means start a movement to support fat people or ginger people or whatever, it's a worthy cause. But this isn't about them.

All lives matter. And I hope one day we will all be able to say that and the world will be a true reflection of that. Until then, black lives matter.

Edited by Taffin

Bindy Badgy
1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

Definitely, including Floyd. This whole thing is being magnified and blown up by widespread camera phones over past decade but as all police have body cams it should always be clear what occurred in any incident. 

Body cams are really effective right up until the point where the police have the ability to turn them off, they put tape over the camera or the footage mysteriously goes missing.

22 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Body cams are really effective right up until the point where the police have the ability to turn them off, they put tape over the camera or the footage mysteriously goes missing.

I am being repetitive I know, but how the hell do people who will do that in the first place get into the police.  With the aids now used by departments to  vet applicants how are they passing the tests.  I just don't get it it seems the keepers  in the zoo need behavioral tending  more than the exhibits.

5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I am being repetitive I know, but how the hell do people who will do that in the first place get into the police.  With the aids now used by departments to  vet applicants how are they passing the tests.  I just don't get it it seems the keepers  in the zoo need behavioral tending  more than the exhibits.

Agree and the sad thing is it has been happening ever since I can remember.

That's from the 60's onwards.

No idea how this has not been dealt with in my lifetime.

Captain Sausage

Some statistics from the UK in 2018. 

Black people 3x more likely to found guilty of a crime, yet 4x more likely to be stopped and searched. Also less likely to be found guilty than white people, and received heavier sentences (although that could be down to the type of crime committed)

Impossible to say whether these stats are a result of a racist police force, or a result of black people being more likely to commit a crime, but provides some context against the situation in the US. 

1A6D6EA3-5C4D-4038-B7F3-69C303F6A36D.png

12 minutes ago, benny said:

Agree and the sad thing is it has been happening ever since I can remember.

That's from the 60's onwards.

No idea how this has not been dealt with in my lifetime.

I goti nto the recruiting position in the 70's,  basically as an experienced police officer you could pick out the chancers pretty quick. We had also indoctrinated a physchological test and examination by a professional, that rooted out some potential problems before hiring. Tere are only two conclusions either the police are not using the modern techniques or they are ignoring the results.

5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I goti nto the recruiting position in the 70's,  basically as an experienced police officer you could pick out the chancers pretty quick. We had also indoctrinated a physchological test and examination by a professional, that rooted out some potential problems before hiring. Tere are only two conclusions either the police are not using the modern techniques or they are ignoring the results.

Do you think that powerful police unions in the States may be part of the problem?

luckyBatistuta
21 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Police brutality is the argument. 

21 hours ago, kila said:

White Police brutality is the argument 

FTFY

https://t.co/1oExmGGuYd?amp=1

So you’re not arguing this then

sweep, sweep