Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Nobody is in any position to whinge how long this has taken......this move could very well be the most important of this young lads career so he had every right to take his time and be sure it’s the best move for him.

I hope he does well and we’ve got a nice sell-on clause included in this deal as he could go for a hell of a lot of money one day.

Of course hearts fans are in a position to whinge if they want to. Hickey as is his right has taken his time to do what’s right for him so we have a right to do what right for hearts. That means getting him out the door asap so we can plan/move forward. If he is dragging his heels that is of no benefit to us so a moan about that Is ok. 

It’s a dream move for the boy but can’t help feel at 17/18 years old he is jumping ship a little early. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Great move for him, and his good words on Hearts on leaving are very welcome, plus paying back some of his development costs in the transfer!

All the best in the future Aaron, try hard and become a world star!!!! 

Think his composed style will suit Italian football well. 

Good luck to him and for having the ambition to go further afield than along the M8, hope it pays off. 

Cheers for the video clips. Potentially a huge star in the making and has just shown he has a really good brain re his career choices. Fingers crossed for the future- learn and live my boy 

They are experts in conditioning over there. So hopefully he keeps injury free and bulks up to a elite professional footballer standard. Plenty of carbs in their diets to work off and not a Nandos in site hopefully.

17 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

But but but

his old man’s pure Sellick 

he’ll make him go tae Parkheed likesy 
I read on here many times 

"Celtic offered me a contract a few times. I'm a Celtic fan and much as that was appealing I just don't feel as if football-wise that was the right decision for me at this stage."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/aaron-hickey-no-regrets-over-22657085.amp

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

"Celtic offered me a contract a few times. I'm a Celtic fan and much as that was appealing I just don't feel as if football-wise that was the right decision for me at this stage."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/aaron-hickey-no-regrets-over-22657085.amp

How are or were Celtic able to offer him a contract before agreeing a transfer fee with Hearts.

8 minutes ago, true-jambo said:

How are or were Celtic able to offer him a contract before agreeing a transfer fee with Hearts.

Yes.

How things happen in practice is different I always think. Back channels, informal talks, third parties. 

Edited by Mikey1874

56 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Of course hearts fans are in a position to whinge if they want to. Hickey as is his right has taken his time to do what’s right for him so we have a right to do what right for hearts. That means getting him out the door asap so we can plan/move forward. If he is dragging his heels that is of no benefit to us so a moan about that Is ok. 

It’s a dream move for the boy but can’t help feel at 17/18 years old he is jumping ship a little early. 

think he's been on a stellar journey since making his debut - if I was him, I'd keep pushing myself in the same vein by joining a team like bologna. He's also done a move within reason by not joining Bayern.

and given whats happened progress wise with cochrane, brandon et al - the club have benefited from  Aaron's move too. Had Aaron stayed, who knows....he might've stalled like the other lads - not good for him or the club.

1 minute ago, haj said:

Just noticed that he’s removed his leaving post on instagram 🤔 

took it down yesterday, probably advised to do so.

9 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

think he's been on a stellar journey since making his debut - if I was him, I'd keep pushing myself in the same vein by joining a team like bologna. He's also done a move within reason by not joining Bayern.

and given whats happened progress wise with cochrane, brandon et al - the club have benefited from  Aaron's move too. Had Aaron stayed, who knows....he might've stalled like the other lads - not good for him or the club.

Absolutely,  no one knows which way it would go. For me it’s to early, another year or 2 playing first team football for hearts was the way to go. He made it pretty clear he wasn’t hanging around for the championship which for a young boy Who to date hasn’t achieved a huge amount is a little premature. Time will tell. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Think his composed style will suit Italian football well. 

Good luck to him and for having the ambition to go further afield than along the M8, hope it pays off. 

This.

I'd be expecting a teatime announcement today. 

However, there was a player De silvestri who had a medical and signing on separate days. Due to Covid protocols. 

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Didn't they also wine and dine the officials across there too?

Yes!

Those were the days when people thought only Scotland was not corrupt. 

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Absolutely,  no one knows which way it would go. For me it’s to early, another year or 2 playing first team football for hearts was the way to go. He made it pretty clear he wasn’t hanging around for the championship which for a young boy Who to date hasn’t achieved a huge amount is a little premature. Time will tell. 

For me it's absolutely the right time for Hickey to go. 

lets say he stayed....does a cochrane and in 3 months turns into mince. he's worth nothing, his career is in limbo and the club can't sell him. club get slated for turning down £1.8m for him

lets say he stayed and does well in the championship. but next season, because he's played at a lower level, he struggles when we get promoted....confidence goes, and he's the next cochrane.

Or.....we and he cash in on a (long enough) purple patch. he probably increase his wage 5, 6 or 7 fold? and Hearts get  £1m+ for a player who played 20 odd games for us?

Or (and to be fair) - we take a MASSIVE gamble and offer him £3k a week to stay and hope he continues to shine this year AND next AND doesn't get injured....AND hope someone offers £3 - £5 mil for him in 2 years time....

time will tell Dazo, but at worst for Hickey he'll be on a few thousand quid a week for I dunno 3 or 4 years? even if his career stalls at bologna am sure he'd find a club back in scotland at least who'd take a punt on him.

52 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Yes!

Those were the days when people thought only Scotland was not corrupt. 

My recollection is that only the corrupt people, in Scotland, said that only Scotland wasn’t corrupt.

They’re maybe still trying to say it 🤔

3 hours ago, true-jambo said:

I usually take things very literally but I think he meant that Celtic made an offer for him.

I've noticed from the Herald website that there's very little coverage of Hickey's transfer. Maybe they don't want to make their Celtic following cry.

The Record has also knocked £300 grand off the fee that's been reported everywhere else.

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

For me it's absolutely the right time for Hickey to go. 

lets say he stayed....does a cochrane and in 3 months turns into mince. he's worth nothing, his career is in limbo and the club can't sell him. club get slated for turning down £1.8m for him

lets say he stayed and does well in the championship. but next season, because he's played at a lower level, he struggles when we get promoted....confidence goes, and he's the next cochrane.

Or.....we and he cash in on a (long enough) purple patch. he probably increase his wage 5, 6 or 7 fold? and Hearts get  £1m+ for a player who played 20 odd games for us?

Or (and to be fair) - we take a MASSIVE gamble and offer him £3k a week to stay and hope he continues to shine this year AND next AND doesn't get injured....AND hope someone offers £3 - £5 mil for him in 2 years time....

time will tell Dazo, but at worst for Hickey he'll be on a few thousand quid a week for I dunno 3 or 4 years? even if his career stalls at bologna am sure he'd find a club back in scotland at least who'd take a punt on him.

All fair enough but I don’t agree now is the time but the money is very good, for him I’d presume and definitely for us. Always a risk handing out contracts to promising kids and a gamble on when to sell. Definitely a route back for him though if it doesn’t work out. Hopefully confirmed soon and we can move on.  

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

Taking Andy Robertson's trajectory as a benchmark, Hickey could have played with us for another two years and still got a big move assuming he's the player we all think he is and he doesn't get the Hearts injury curse.

However, when clubs like Bayern and Bologna (and it does sound like Bayern offered him a contract as well as Celtic) come calling it's tough to not take that chance, so I agree it's the right time. If Robertson had got offers from clubs like those at 18 I'm sure he would have been off instead of joining D Utd.

It's obvious his head is screwed on and he's got a pathway for his career in his mind that has playing lots of first team football as its foundation. Straight into the Bologna first team seems to have sealed it ahead of Bayern II and definitely ahead of playing for Celtic on plastic pitches in Hamilton, Livingston and Kilmarnock.

4 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

it's such a fantastic move for him - he's obviously very ambitious and full of confidence - go on my son !

Clearly decided to distance himself from the shitshow that is Scottish football.  Very wise.

Great move for him and kind words for Hearts on his exit. Refreshing to see a young lad go and try something abroad and not be bogged down in the west of Scotland. If he does well over there then he really will have a great opportunity to reach the top level. He has the technical ability, no doubt about it.

Hopefully Aaron will fulfil his potential, fully, and push himself way out of Celtic's league. At least while he's at his peak. 

Genuinely chuffed for the lad and wish him all the best. The sky's the limit, young man. 

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

I've noticed from the Herald website that there's very little coverage of Hickey's transfer. Maybe they don't want to make their Celtic following cry.

The Record has also knocked £300 grand off the fee that's been reported everywhere else.

They simply don’t care if it has nothing to do with those two. Scotland had a player that was currently in their top league when they played and won a final of a major international tournament (Djoum/AFCON) and barely a peep was said about it. Now if Ambrose had won with Nigeria while at Celtic I’m sure that point would not just be made but loudly.

As for Hickey (to steer things back on topic) looks like tomorrow for an announcement at this rate then.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Taking Andy Robertson's trajectory as a benchmark, Hickey could have played with us for another two years and still got a big move assuming he's the player we all think he is and he doesn't get the Hearts injury curse.

However, when clubs like Bayern and Bologna (and it does sound like Bayern offered him a contract as well as Celtic) come calling it's tough to not take that chance, so I agree it's the right time. If Robertson had got offers from clubs like those at 18 I'm sure he would have been off instead of joining D Utd.

It's obvious his head is screwed on and he's got a pathway for his career in his mind that has playing lots of first team football as its foundation. Straight into the Bologna first team seems to have sealed it ahead of Bayern II and definitely ahead of playing for Celtic on plastic pitches in Hamilton, Livingston and Kilmarnock.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

All fair enough but I don’t agree now is the time but the money is very good, for him I’d presume and definitely for us. Always a risk handing out contracts to promising kids and a gamble on when to sell. Definitely a route back for him though if it doesn’t work out. Hopefully confirmed soon and we can move on.  

we agree to disagree Dazo which is what it's all about. Had Hickey stayed with us you could argue his progression would stall. he'd be up against poorer players in a league which affords you more time, space and punishes errors less. he'd perhaps appear to look phenomenal in such circumstances but  would other clubs take this into account and offer much less to buy him.

In a way, staying could be likened to the mentality of choosing to head up the M8 - big fish in a tiny pond where not many escape to bigger clubs...

anyways - lets see what transpires! :)  

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

They simply don’t care if it has nothing to do with those two. Scotland had a player that was currently in their top league when they played and won a final of a major international tournament (Djoum/AFCON) and barely a peep was said about it. Now if Ambrose had won with Nigeria while at Celtic I’m sure that point would not just be made but loudly.

As for Hickey (to steer things back on topic) looks like tomorrow for an announcement at this rate then.

ambrose did win it while at celtic

55 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

ambrose did win it while at celtic

I know, it was kinda tongue in cheek, but looking back at my post I see how it doesn’t seem that way.

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Can you imagine what the Press would have said if Aaron had stayed at Celtic and Bologna had made on offer after a few first team games?

Sun: Celtic starlet on brink of£20million move to Italy.

Daily Rebel:  Bayern eyeing £20 million rated Celtic starlet.

etc. etc.

23 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

With all the Levein chat I got thinking and decided to check up on our former World Cup star Juwon Oshaniwa.

6 appearances in Nigeria since he left. 87 appearances in his career...25 with us.

Three year deal for you mate...thanks Craig :facepalm:

Ever get the feeling that African players get gifted caps just so European clubs are mugs-enough to buy them? I think we've been duped twice this way with Obua and Oshaniwa...

Edited by Spellczech

19 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Ever get the feeling that African players get gifted caps just so European clubs are mugs-enough to buy them? I think we've been duped twice this way with Obua and Oshaniwa...

Nigeria are not too bad at fitba...would probably beat Scotland! So I've no idea how he got the gig to go up against Messi.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I know it’s a you tube mash up but when you think he only played 33 games you get a real insight into Hickey’s quality in that video earlier - precisely because he’s had such few games

Are the authorities waiting for us to cash the cheque before they charge us the same amount in legal fee.

Wouldn't be at all surprised.

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I know it’s a you tube mash up but when you think he only played 33 games you get a real insight into Hickey’s quality in that video earlier - precisely because he’s had such few games

What I was thinking. His composure on the ball in very competitive games really came through, especially considering his inexperience, and you could see why people think he could end up a DM.

Presume all the medical stuff will be done today so introduced to the media tomorrow. Great move for him and will be interesting seeing how his career progresses. Mucho credit to him for avoiding a move to the mhanky mob and getting away from scottish football.

All the best Aaron!

10 hours ago, Dazo said:

What a load of mince, you do realize that playing in the championship would set him back for sure playing against rubbish every week.

17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

What I was thinking. His composure on the ball in very competitive games really came through, especially considering his inexperience, and you could see why people think he could end up a DM.

Personally not sure about this DM talk from various sources?  I think you’d lose a good full back with really good recovery ability, not only for himself, but making back ground to help his centre backs. His style and poise in possession doesn’t say to me he’s a midfielder.

He’s very comfy in possession but doesn’t strike me as a pass picker who’d slip balls forward competently or be working the ball from that area like , say, Irving does at the moment. 

He’s good at cutting inside from FB and driving forward as the space opens up. It’s a totally different scenario to starting centrally with less room to manoeuvre.  

The White Cockade
11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Exactly

Just pointing out some of the rubbish we read on here from the Celtic hating brigade 

Neil Dongcaster
3 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Exactly

Just pointing out some of the rubbish we read on here from the Celtic hating brigade 

Doesn’t every Hearts fan hate Celtic?

19 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Exactly

Don't you hate Celtic? 

24 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Exactly

Wonder if Celtic had Hearts permission to offer him a contract several times? 
Reality is they don’t really rate him otherwise they would have signed him. They wouldn’t have let him go in the first place. They didn’t think he would make it. They are happy to get their 30%. Credit to the academy coaching team at Oriam for identifying a talent and developing it. Reality is that he couldn’t get in a Scotland u17 team two years ago that Smith and Logan were first picks for.  The speed of his development was very unusual but very rewarding. 

What's the verdict on the £2m loan fee chat from a few days ago ?   Was there any actual evidence/substance to it being a loan  ....... or just the usual bollock conjecture in the hope that Sellick wouldn't get any of it ?            

26 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Exactly

celtic hating brigade? You means the utter filth who robbed our kiosks, spat on the ball boys, sing their terrorist shit, pretend  to be IRA soldiers outside the ground, smashed the windows of 2 buses I’ve been on, singg songs about burning us on bonfires, boo rememberance day, have a ****ing opinion on everything and everyone, claim to be the greatest ***** alive, 1986 and are responsible for our expulsion!!  that ****ing Celtic .

Hate doesn’t do it justice  !! ****ing filth. no defending those ***** on here 

2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

What's the verdict on the £2m loan fee chat from a few days ago ?   Was there any actual evidence/substance to it being a loan  ....... or just the usual bollock conjecture in the hope that Sellick wouldn't get any of it ?            

Some Italian media reporting it because it's a common practice in Italy, in order to spread transfer costs. I think from what I read Celtic would still get a chunk if it was a loan fee

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Personally not sure about this DM talk from various sources?  I think you’d lose a good full back with really good recovery ability, not only for himself, but making back ground to help his centre backs. His style and poise in possession doesn’t say to me he’s a midfielder.

He’s very comfy in possession but doesn’t strike me as a pass picker who’d slip balls forward competently or be working the ball from that area like , say, Irving does at the moment. 

He’s good at cutting inside from FB and driving forward as the space opens up. It’s a totally different scenario to starting centrally with less room to manoeuvre.  

I thought he looked like a Gomis or Haring type DM thinking of recent midfielders. Competitive, win the ball, find space, pick the right pass. Break forward when given the chance.