SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

7 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Very confused by what is going on as I thought it was purely the football authorities decision to suspend the leagues.

I'm sure it is... as dungcaster keeps telling us, he only does what clubs tell him. Think there is the usual sfa/spfl blame-the-sg going on here. It'll be something along the lines of the SG wanting all sports on hold if they're not testing. Cue the spfl passing the blame. It's no us its thems.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Hagar the Horrible
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Or at least it was decision made with both sides. The statement very much makes it out that the football leagues came forward with plans but the government decided it should still be shut.

I think we do the same as we are doing for ICT and do the same for PT and Stranraer,   and sod the rest of the league...take your medicine

3 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I think we do the same as we are doing for ICT and do the same for PT and Stranraer,   and sod the rest of the league...take your medicine

Wouldn't the seethe be glorious!?

SectionDJambo
21 minutes ago, Mark_Mywords said:

Hmmmmmmm

image.thumb.png.42ae20eb4df0bceef1e758be0de09741.png

18 minutes ago, Mark_Mywords said:

image.thumb.png.5c66d0098bfd5654a0bce88bd8ee2fc5.png

It's beginning to smell isn't it.

Can they have the brass neck to save Brechin City again?

We better believe it.

Sorry if I missed it, but was there ever an official announcement from the SFA with the results of Maxwell’s letter to Championship clubs if the wanted the season to continue?

17 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

At this rate beginning to wonder if Partick Thistle and Stranraer will survive or maybe it suits the SFA if they don’t. Absolutely fuming 

Nucky Thompson
35 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Very confused by what is going on as I thought it was purely the football authorities decision to suspend the leagues.

It looks like football authorities were told to do it by the SG

jamboinglasgow

I do get the feeling more and more, the 16 team League Two mentioned earlier, will be brought in, under the guise of being a compromise to help Lowland, Highland and League two clubs with the Old Firm B teams there.

8 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Sorry if I missed it, but was there ever an official announcement from the SFA with the results of Maxwell’s letter to Championship clubs if the wanted the season to continue?

Think there was a resounding GTF... and they quietly retreated to their wee offices, not to utter another word on the matter. Top work from the cream of Scottish Football! It makes you want to vomit!

On 05/02/2021 at 16:11, Martin_T said:

Could the Scottish Cup potentially work as an end of season tournament? The vast majority of teams will only need to play 1 or 2 games, so it could potentially be played over 3 or 4 weeks?

Good point. No reason the season cannot be extended

i the vast majority of clubs won't be affected by the Euros (assuming they go ahead) so L1 & 2 being extended makes no difference

ii the "issue" that Doncaster raised with UEFA about the large number (allegedly) of Scottish clubs whose players contracts will be up for renewal at season end is an issue the clubs & SPRL can fix among themselves. This affects the diddy clubs who try to avoid a summer wage bill - but they just got £500K from the govt to no issues here . 

iii play the cup as an end of season tourny - if clubs can't raise a team then too bad , withdraw. 

Again, they got £500K from the SG so it shouldn't be an issue. 

iv there should be no issue with the super-duper new TV deal being used as an excuse .

Finally, **** Brechin. 

32 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Yes, I like this idea! Might not raise as much as ICT, but even just 500-1000 tickets sold for each club would be something.

4 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Finally, **** Brechin. 

At the end of all of this... I want them gone. Relegated, never to return. How the team at the very bottom of the pile, position 42, last place... was the ONLY team to avoid demotion, is an absolute scam/abomination/farce/stich-up/con! Get them tae ****! And their bent chairman!

Neil Dongcaster
2 minutes ago, kila said:

Yes, I like this idea! Might not raise as much as ICT, but even just 500-1000 tickets sold for each club would be something.

I think the point has been made now. All funds to FOH after this.

24 minutes ago, third lanark said:

At this rate beginning to wonder if Partick Thistle and Stranraer will survive or maybe it suits the SFA if they don’t. Absolutely fuming 

Its disgusting mate. I don't know what's happening with the grants but they won't be enough o mothball clubs until next season. Perhaps some sort of fans fighting fund would help. Good luck 

Guest ToqueJambo

Some chickens coming home to roost in the lower leagues. Had a peek at the pie and bovril forum and one person said how Forfar would kick up a fuss if the league was curtailed and they suddenly had 9 games less to escape relegation.

That's literally what lower league clubs voted to happen last season.

Partick Thistle are being absolutely screwed the most here again though, which everyone knew last spring even if they didn't admit it. And to a lesser extent Falkirk. We could genuinely be looking at a situation where a club like Thistle goes bust as a direct result of the fellow clubs who voted for that possibility to save themselves when there were other viable options that threatened no clubs.

On 07/02/2021 at 19:14, Newton51 said:

Before i throw my laptop through the window, can i ask for a sensible reason why discussions have taken place which prioritise 2 clubs in particular having their Colts teams in League 2?

Can we not have a team in there? Can aberdeen or hibs as well? At least offer it out or are we just sitting back and accepting who calls the shots here.

I don't expect Ann to do this but i want her to openly abstain from all discussions, unless they directly threaten our position.

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Before i throw my laptop through the window, can i ask for a sensible reason why discussions have taken place which prioritise 2 clubs in particular having their Colts teams in League 2?

Can we not have a team in there? Can aberdeen or hibs as well? At least offer it out or are we just sitting back and accepting who calls the shots here.

I don't expect Ann to do this but i want her to openly abstain from all discussions, unless they directly threaten our position.

I don't see the benefit of Colts in general for anyone. Loaning out young players instead of playing them in a glorified reserve team seems like a better experience for them.

Edited by ToqueJambo

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Sensible reason (and only reason) - nobody else matters... at least in the eyes of the sfa/spfl.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this is what the sfa/spfl are trying to manipulate behind the scenes. So, 16 teams (two of which are the colt-uglies) leaves 12... are 4 promoted? At a time when there are clearly too many 'professional' teams in the Scottish leagues, we're adding another 6? But hey, if we promote four from the regionals, we can save Brechin again! Yay!

Seriously, how long can Scottish football continue to operate like this!?! 

Hagar the Horrible

Its interesting to note Celtic WONT be able to go for elite training abroad, its been limited only to the Olypics and paralymic athletes only,  Its an SG  GIRUY to Lennon

25 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Some chickens coming home to roost in the lower leagues. Had a peek at the pie and bovril forum and one person said how Forfar would kick up a fuss if the league was curtailed and they suddenly had 9 games less to escape relegation.

That's literally what lower league clubs voted to happen last season.

Partick Thistle are being absolutely screwed the most here again though, which everyone knew last spring even if they didn't admit it. And to a lesser extent Falkirk. We could genuinely be looking at a situation where a club like Thistle goes bust as a direct result of the fellow clubs who voted for that possibility to save themselves when there were other viable options that threatened no clubs.

That's the most galling part.  There wee other viable options available that could've meant the least harm to clubs but self interest and bowing to Lawell has shattered Scottish football rather than bring it together.  

Not one if them will admit liability if a club goes out of business.

All we had to do was what they did in England and wait.   Celtic couldn't let any other sensible option be explored. 

Disgraceful how all this has been handled and ho one will be responsible for any of it. 

2 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Its interesting to note Celtic WONT be able to go for elite training abroad, its been limited only to the Olypics and paralymic athletes only,  Its an SG  GIRUY to Lennon

Could lennon not just show him his teeth at the gate and get the same perks as the Paralympians? 

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

That's the most galling part.  There wee other viable options available that could've meant the least harm to clubs but self interest and bowing to Lawell has shattered Scottish football rather than bring it together.  

Not one if them will admit liability if a club goes out of business.

All we had to do was what they did in England and wait.   Celtic couldn't let any other sensible option be explored. 

Disgraceful how all this has been handled and ho one will be responsible for any of it. 

It's amazing the contrast in how quick and eager the SPFL and clubs were to stop the league, not even pause it, last season and their desperation to keep playing games no matter what this season, in some leagues anyhow.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

It's amazing the contrast in how quick and eager the SPFL and clubs were to stop the league, not even pause it, last season and their desperation to keep playing games no matter what this season.

...but the Scottish cup was ok? 

The media up here just sat back.  

Imagine radio 5 if the FA or english leagues had handled anything like this?   5 days of phone ins.  

We are nothing but a bowling club and the media have to share some of the blame.  

11 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Could lennon not just show him his teeth at the gate and get the same perks as the Paralympians? 

That made me laugh, then i thought hmm...should i really be laughing at that? Ach...it cheered me up!

Just now, jambonian said:

That made me laugh, then i thought hmm...should i really be laughing at that? Ach...it cheered me up!

Felt the same after posting it.  It's a dig at Lennon though.   No dodgy intentions.  

Footballfirst

The SFA has advised the the current suspension of lower league football will continue.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/suspension-of-football-update-9-february/?rid=13929

In recent weeks, the Scottish FA has engaged extensively with clubs and leagues affected by the suspension of professional football across the men’s and women’s game to discuss tailored return to playing plans for implementation when it is considered safe and appropriate to resume.

We have also remained in regular dialogue with Scottish Government to ensure their input into and ultimately approval of those proposed plans.

Regrettably, the government has today confirmed that - in cognisance of the current restrictions in place across the country - they cannot currently commit to return dates for those affected leagues in the coming weeks.

We will continue to speak with all parties in the meantime and will provide a further update by 1 March. This date should not be seen as a proposed restart date, however it should help provide some clarity to affected clubs to aid their planning over the short term.

Whilst this is disappointing news, Scottish football will continue to play its part in assisting the Scottish Government’s efforts to reduce the prevalence of COVID-19 across the country.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the Scottish Government shutting down the lower leagues. This was a decision of the SFA.  Professional football was allowed to continue including part time clubs.

Once again it's the SFA in full deflection mode.

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I remember when this was discussed last year that other premier teams were being offered a place at the colts team but at the bottom of the pyramid as they weren’t paying to join

13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The SFA has advised the the current suspension of lower league football will continue.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/suspension-of-football-update-9-february/?rid=13929

In recent weeks, the Scottish FA has engaged extensively with clubs and leagues affected by the suspension of professional football across the men’s and women’s game to discuss tailored return to playing plans for implementation when it is considered safe and appropriate to resume.

We have also remained in regular dialogue with Scottish Government to ensure their input into and ultimately approval of those proposed plans.

Regrettably, the government has today confirmed that - in cognisance of the current restrictions in place across the country - they cannot currently commit to return dates for those affected leagues in the coming weeks.

We will continue to speak with all parties in the meantime and will provide a further update by 1 March. This date should not be seen as a proposed restart date, however it should help provide some clarity to affected clubs to aid their planning over the short term.

Whilst this is disappointing news, Scottish football will continue to play its part in assisting the Scottish Government’s efforts to reduce the prevalence of COVID-19 across the country.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the Scottish Government shutting down the lower leagues. This was a decision of the SFA.  Professional football was allowed to continue including part time clubs.

league 1 and 2 will be reduced to an 18 game season no doubt 

Stealing this from Reddit, which was in turn stolen from another forum:

"When the league season started on October 15 (I think it was, it was certainly around there) the seven day infection rate was 153.1 per 100,000. At that stage nobody was vaccinated and there was no testing.

Now here we are with an infection rate of 118 per 100k (that is dropping), the most vulnerable have had their first dose of the vaccine and clubs have offered to test players (you know...exactly like they do in the Premiership and Championship) but they are still told they won't be allowed to play.

For reference the "three week shutdown" was introduced when rates were sitting at 269.1 per 100k..."

No idea if the numbers stack up or not, but it's interesting nonetheless.

16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I get the feeling they’re throwing a test balloon in the air again (as they did with the championship)... if this all continues over the next couple of days with no adverse effects, I think a bombshell will follow. The SG will be blamed.
What the bombshell will be is anyone’s guess... you can guarantee, however, it won’t be for the good of Scottish football and will hugely benefit the uglies in some shape or form. 

8 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I remember when this was discussed last year that other premier teams were being offered a place at the colts team but at the bottom of the pyramid as they weren’t paying to join

Yeah it was Rangers proposal.  They suggested Hearts and Hibs could drop a colt team each into the Lowland league.  While them and Celtic would pay a £50k fee to join League 2 and a buy a minimum of 500 tickets for every away fixture.  It was actually a very decent proposal which got very little support.  Guaranteed it would now though.  I'm not against colt teams myself as long as they could not get promoted as far as the Championship.  Its something that happens in all major European leagues aside from England. 

I think the lower leagues just want an 18 game season. But they want the government to be responsible for it because if they decided themselves they'd have to hand back cash to sponsors etc?

Last year, one of the reconstruction models was 14-14-14 (I think). Largely, nobody would suffer. If it was to the benefit of the bottom 14, they had the option to mothball. 
This would have sailed seamlessly to a conclusion this season, as things have turned out. 
Funny that us muppets on a forum could see that it was the best way to go but the millionaire owners with their huge business brains couldn’t. 

Footballfirst

Here is the original statement from 11 January intimating a 3 week shutdown.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-board-confirms-three-week-suspension-of-professional-football-beneath-spfl-championship/?rid=13929

And an extract:

While the updated Scottish Government guidance permits the continuation of professional sport, the board meeting, which followed a Joint Response Group discussion on the matter last Friday, nevertheless considered the implications of doing so at all tiers of the Scottish football professional pyramid, against a backdrop of increased positive cases across the country.

In particular, the board gave extensive consideration to making a decision in the interests of public health, taking cognisance of the government’s wish to reduce travel and possible contact with others whilst safeguarding commercial broadcasting contracts that sustain the professional game.

6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I get the feeling they’re throwing a test balloon in the air again (as they did with the championship)... if this all continues over the next couple of days with no adverse effects, I think a bombshell will follow. The SG will be blamed.
What the bombshell will be is anyone’s guess... you can guarantee, however, it won’t be for the good of Scottish football and will hugely benefit the uglies in some shape or form. 

reconstruction with 18 game season to conclude. Brechin to survive again

2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Saw that, but it surely isn’t the case?  If it is then Rangers have to withdraw from Europa League. 

Anything that punishes Brechin is a great day in my view , also as a bonus , the longer the delay of the women’s game the better , get them back to summer football .

Tick tock getting louder for some clubs , shame that W️‘s

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Saw that, but it surely isn’t the case?  If it is then Rangers have to withdraw from Europa League. 

Travel for elite sport is still allowed. e.g. Scotland's Rugby side can "get tae France".

Partick and Elgin unhappy with the latest decision.

Ian McCall mentioning Mike Muraney (Alloa) and Ken Ferguson (Brechin) in his criticism of the SFA on Sportsound just now.

CavySlaveJambo
55 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/suspension-of-football-update-9-february/?rid=13929.

Professional Sport was never suspended.  And Leagues 1 and 2 both count as Professional.  Even though the vast majority that are part time.  

59 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Rings a vague bell 

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I think the point has been made now. All funds to FOH after this.

I'll buy a ticket for all three clubs. 👍

4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Good point. No reason the season cannot be extended

i the vast majority of clubs won't be affected by the Euros (assuming they go ahead) so L1 & 2 being extended makes no difference

ii the "issue" that Doncaster raised with UEFA about the large number (allegedly) of Scottish clubs whose players contracts will be up for renewal at season end is an issue the clubs & SPRL can fix among themselves. This affects the diddy clubs who try to avoid a summer wage bill - but they just got £500K from the govt to no issues here . 

iii play the cup as an end of season tourny - if clubs can't raise a team then too bad , withdraw. 

Again, they got £500K from the SG so it shouldn't be an issue. 

iv there should be no issue with the super-duper new TV deal being used as an excuse .

Finally, **** Brechin. 

No they didn't.

£150k for league 1 and £100k for league 2 teams.

The SPFL and SFA were encouraged by getting all their own way on everything last season including the Scottish Cup.

It's no surprise they aren't taking any account of what some clubs might want now. 

5 hours ago, Blackshades said:

The government didn't stop the lower leagues .the SFA and SPFL did that themselves the dispensation for sport still stands so why do they need government approval .strange underhand tactics on the go again

I agree with this. Both the SPFL and SFA abdicating responsibility here and NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME putting the blame at the feet of the SG. I expect the SG to counter this in due course.

Hagar the Horrible
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The SPFL and SFA were encouraged by getting all their own way on everything last season including the Scottish Cup.

It's no surprise they aren't taking any account of what some clubs might want now. 

Its like the clubs dont matter in this. Nobody has asked what they want. This is what it is like being a fan all the time. Only we pay to have these idiots in charge making idiot decisions. 

13 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I agree with this. Both the SPFL and SFA abdicating responsibility here and NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME putting the blame at the feet of the SG. I expect the SG to counter this in due course.

What should also be remembered is the lower leagues were the  sacrificial lamb for Celtics trip to Dubai  if they hadn't gone there with all their shananigans the lower leagues would never have been stopped .maybe had to test but it wouldn't have stopped

Guest ToqueJambo
52 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

What's incredible about this is that at the same time as blaming the SG they also keep appealing to them and asking them for favours. How is that the basis of a good, trustworthy working relationship?

Just one of many examples of the complete incompetence of the people running our game.

Guest ToqueJambo
37 minutes ago, Blackshades said:

What should also be remembered is the lower leagues were the  sacrificial lamb for Celtics trip to Dubai  if they hadn't gone there with all their shananigans the lower leagues would never have been stopped .maybe had to test but it wouldn't have stopped

Come on. Celtic players getting a bit of sun is much more important than the survival of Partick Thistle.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )