SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

ToadKiller Dog
8 hours ago, neilnunb said:

This  from the club that on the last avaliable data was paying somthing like 133% on wages and 3.7m in debt .

Basically wanting the gov to help out his clubs over spending .

You have assets sell some .

Enjoy your packed stadiums four home games against the ugly sisters ,that was your priority last spring/summer .

Seems these loans come with conditions ,good .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

20 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

This  from the club that on the last avaliable data was paying somthing like 133% on wages and 3.7m in debt .

Basically wanting the gov to help out his clubs over spending .

You have assets sell some .

Enjoy your packed stadiums four home games against the ugly sisters ,that was your priority last spring/summer .

Seems these loans come with conditions ,good .

Exactly this!

While I am not the biggest rugby fan, what a lazy comparison that is, it is just a needless dig at the government, which isn't the brightest idea when you are asking them for money. 

The government will look at their business model (which is so bad and they're still trying to sign players!!) and tell them to bolt!1

Premiership Cloud Cuckoo Land!

Amazing how the media present this story without even the briefly expressed insight shown on this thread.  Well, not really amazing considering the level of "journalism" in the media.

51 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Looks like the DU begging bowl is working

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6591437/dundee-united-cash-covid-pandemic/

Another sponsored walk on the cards boys? 🤔😁

That's £60k they won't be able to use for other purposes, whatever they are.

Hopefully the beginning of a long, slow and painful death for that club.

Hagar the Horrible
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

That's £60k they won't be able to use for other purposes, whatever they are.

Hopefully the beginning of a long, slow and painful death for that club.

I will be happy with a quick kill

RustyRightPeg

Alarm bells should’ve been ringing when they couldn’t afford to put their under soil heating on against St Johnstone but the Dundee game 50 yards away was on!!!

I'm Only Hearts but also like to think of myself as a realistic person. 

Given that Killie, now Aberdeen have taken advantage of the loan availability more will follow as they are no longer losing face.  The Aberdeen article also suggests that there is a growing fear that fans will not return to stadiums till next season.  I've heard this before because first it was Oct, then Nov, now maybe next season.  The truth is no one knows and even  if some fans are in their seats I can't imagine full houses.

Our CE also said on radio late last year that Hearts would be alright without fans till the end of the season but then would have to reconsider our options.  Should we, as Hearts fans, start to be concerned?  i know we are well placed (Loyal support, Foundation, Benefactors) but at what point will concern turn to panic amongst all clubs?  It's all very amusing laughing at the suffering of others but we need teams to play!

3 minutes ago, washniklaw said:

I'm Only Hearts but also like to think of myself as a realistic person. 

Given that Killie, now Aberdeen have taken advantage of the loan availability more will follow as they are no longer losing face.  The Aberdeen article also suggests that there is a growing fear that fans will not return to stadiums till next season.  I've heard this before because first it was Oct, then Nov, now maybe next season.  The truth is no one knows and even  if some fans are in their seats I can't imagine full houses.

Our CE also said on radio late last year that Hearts would be alright without fans till the end of the season but then would have to reconsider our options.  Should we, as Hearts fans, start to be concerned?  i know we are well placed (Loyal support, Foundation, Benefactors) but at what point will concern turn to panic amongst all clubs?  It's all very amusing laughing at the suffering of others but we need teams to play!

No fans back at the beginning of next season will seriously impact a lot of clubs, including us.  

Neil Dongcaster

It doesn’t seem to me that the club are particularly worried about next season as we have been signing some large contracts whilst probably strolling to the championship title already.

Under the floodlight
On 25/01/2021 at 13:48, John Findlay said:

Can he not just pump Lorraine Kelly for a few quid?

Don't think she needs the money.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

No fans back at the beginning of next season will seriously impact a lot of clubs, including us.  

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think fans will be allowed back next season, it’s likely to be staggered with limited numbers to be gin with as the country builds confidence that the vaccine has worked. The biggest thread to this would be a strain like the South African one taking hold..

that aside I believe Ann and the benefactors have confirmed they will continue to provide support for at least the next 5 years. In addition, we have a lot of decent earners out of contract, and of course we have FOH

in summary, Financially - wouldn’t swap places with anyone with the exception of Celtic - but it will be harder than it should be

2 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

It doesn’t seem to me that the club are particularly worried about next season as we have been signing some large contracts whilst probably strolling to the championship title already.

This is maybe whats concerning me.  We seem to be behaving like nothing is different, signing player, adding to costs, being ambitious (never a bad thing but in the middle of a pandemic could be more conservative!). 

I'm worried that this could come back to bite us like it has with Aberdeen?  In my opinion, AB was phenomenal at the start of this crisis with harsh and unpopular decisions that have ultimately proved sound business decisions (wage cuts).  I just don't want us to relax too soon and regret it later.

Neil Dongcaster
Just now, washniklaw said:

This is maybe whats concerning me.  We seem to be behaving like nothing is different, signing player, adding to costs, being ambitious (never a bad thing but in the middle of a pandemic could be more conservative!). 

I'm worried that this could come back to bite us like it has with Aberdeen?  In my opinion, AB was phenomenal at the start of this crisis with harsh and unpopular decisions that have ultimately proved sound business decisions (wage cuts).  I just don't want us to relax too soon and regret it later.

I trust AB not to screw the financial side of Hearts. We are incredibly wasteful but she will make tough decisions if they are required.

ToadKiller Dog

These loans for the premiership club is there criteria to be met .

Will for example Dundee United get a credit check to see if they are financially sound longer term ,so the Gov can get the money back rather than risking chucking away £1.7m .

Is there protections will the SPFL stand as guarantors if a club  defaults ?. 

32 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Will for example Dundee United get a credit check to see if they are financially sound longer term ,so the Gov can get the money back rather than risking chucking away £1.7m .

Good point.

Hagar the Horrible
2 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Its a good point, DU are asking for fans money again, Shankland has hit a wall Street Crash on his stock being worth less than a danish mink farm.  The Sheep need the loan arangement, but is being called the emergency loan agreement.  What if a club takes it but just cant pay it back, will that club hence be in public ownership, or will the government go full HMRC and put in a pay up or a kill order.  Is the TV money that guarantor?

On 25/01/2021 at 12:48, John Findlay said:

Need to fill her mouth with cement before I’d pump Lorraine Kelly

I doubt fans will be back in large numbers before mid 2022 definitely can't see it being anytime soon,even once the majority are vaccinated it'll have to be done over a period of time the reintroduction of filling stadiums arenas theatres etc 

Skivingatwork

I imagine that there will be some sticking points around the hierarchy of creditors in the event of an insolvency.

SG will want to ensure they get the taxpayers money back.

2 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

I have heard in the last 24 hours from someone senior in the game that it is the guarantees that would normally be required for any loan of this magnitude to a company that are a sticking point. Normally a bank or other loan provider such as a club director or shareholder would be given security over club assets such as the stadium or a property or even the club's IP (logo, trademarks etc). The security over the asset would then be released once the loan is paid back. However a lot of club's have already offered these securities to existing loan providers such as banks, owners, shareholders, wealthy sponsors and so have nothing to give as security for a loan of up to £1.7m. The owners of those clubs whose assets are not tied down by a security are reluctant to offer their club assets as a security for such a loan as it threatens the value of their shareholding if their club does topple into admin. I would expect however that if the loans are to be made via the SPFL then the club's share of future TV revenues and central commercial income could be used as security of a sort.

Footballfirst

Latest update from the SFA.  Suspension of lower league football extended until 14 February.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/suspension-of-football-update-29-january/?rid=13929

Friday 29 January 2021

The Scottish FA has this week undertaken extensive consultation with representatives of leagues and clubs affected by the temporary suspension announced on Monday, 11 January 2021.

This process has been beneficial in understanding the specific challenges faced by clubs at those levels within the men’s and women’s games, in particular understanding the key components required to facilitate return to play within each competition when it is safe to do so.

Given that current lockdown measures implemented by the First Minister will now remain in place across Scotland until at least the middle of February, the existing temporary suspension of football will be extended until midnight on Sunday, 14 February.  This affects leagues with predominantly part-time clubs – although a number of full-time clubs have been affected.

The Scottish FA will continue to work with those affected to develop league and division- specific plans for a return to training and playing, including adequate training and conditioning time. Those circumstances vary across our game and will be kept under constant review with any restart of the game likely to happen on a progressive basis.     

A further update will be communicated by Wednesday, 10 February.

The Scottish Cup Fourth Round fixtures scheduled for 20 February will not now go ahead, and all ties will be rescheduled and information communicated in due course. Consequently, Saturday, 20 February can be released as a fixture date for league matches.

The Scottish FA will continue to work with Scottish Professional Football League colleagues to accommodate the dislocated Scottish Cup fixtures when it is deemed safe and practical to do so.

Rod Petrie, Scottish FA President: “The conversations we have had with representatives from the clubs and leagues affected by the temporary suspension have been hugely beneficial. We have been able to further communicate the rationale behind the decision in the midst of an ongoing pandemic whilst also hearing at first hand the most important issues facing clubs and leagues at each level of the game.

“We have also been greatly encouraged by the sense of togetherness shown by the clubs and the robustness with which protocols and measures have been implemented in the interests of player and staff safety within football.  

“A number of initiatives have been suggested which may help to make the eventual return to playing efficient without compromising safety.

“The decision to extend the suspension is necessary given the Scottish Government’s own extension of existing lockdown measures. Football will play its part to support the collective effort to reduce the spread of the new variants of the COVID-19 virus.

“We are grateful for the input of all groups involved in our online discussions this week and we will continue to liaise ahead of our next public update on February 10th.” 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Scottish Cup going to be a rat tat tat tournament this season, whoever's in fom in Spring 

Edited by Sir Gio

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Scottish Cup going to be a rat tat tat tournament this season, whoever's in fom in Spring 

Or December is the new normal.

Are we not potentially being excluded from potential European football next season via the Scottish Cup ?  Presuming that there is now a possability that they may not finish the cup this season..

Middle of Feb decision made to have football in lower leagues to return beginning of March...gives them 2 weeks or so to try and get fit plus time to start testing prior to the first matches in March

In the meantime I'm sure they will be looking at 18 match seasons for leagues 1 and 2...playing in March and April (poss early May) with cup dates available as well

This would leave plenty of time for cup fixtures to be fitted in

There will need to be some fixture adjustments as well to make it 1 at home and 1 away against each side.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

At least they are talking to people now.

Maybe some good might come from that. 

You think ? What is it you think they have discovered during these meetings that wasn’t known before a ball was kicked ? Don’t be fooled by the chat the sfa will do what’s good for the sfa blazers and no one else. Absolute shambles of a governing body. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/55859587?__twitter_impression=true

Long-serving SPFL secretary Iain Blair has retired, with Calum Beattie confirmed as his replacement.

Blair had been in the role since 1998, initially joining the SPL before its merger with the SFL in 2013.

He leaves with immediate effect and Beattie takes over after four years as assistant secretary.

Chief executive Neil Doncaster, on behalf of the board and member clubs, thanked Blair for his "huge contribution to Scottish football".

Doncaster added: "Iain had intended to step down in summer 2020, but agreed to defer his retirement by six months to help steer the League through the Covid-19 crisis.

"League fixturing and acting as guardian of the rulebook are difficult tasks at the best of times, but Iain has retained a calm positivity and cheerfulness even amidst some of the most challenging moments.

"Calum Beattie has served a four-year apprenticeship with the league and is a very capable and talented individual. I have complete faith in Calum's ability to step up and take over from Iain."

Blair says his 22-year tenure has lived up to his expectations of a "challenging, interesting, enjoyable and frustrating" role.

Beattie thanked Blair for helping to enable a smooth transition and is ready to embrace the "many challenges" facing the 42 member clubs. 

:wave1:

31 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Long-serving SPFL secretary Iain Blair has retired, with Calum Beattie confirmed as his replacement.

Blair had been in the role since 1998, initially joining the SPL before its merger with the SFL in 2013.

He leaves with immediate effect and Beattie takes over after four years as assistant secretary.

Chief executive Neil Doncaster, on behalf of the board and member clubs, thanked Blair for his "huge contribution to Scottish football".

Doncaster added: "Iain had intended to step down in summer 2020, but agreed to defer his retirement by six months to help steer the League through the Covid-19 crisis.

"League fixturing and acting as guardian of the rulebook are difficult tasks at the best of times, but Iain has retained a calm positivity and cheerfulness even amidst some of the most challenging moments.

"Calum Beattie has served a four-year apprenticeship with the league and is a very capable and talented individual. I have complete faith in Calum's ability to step up and take over from Iain."

Blair says his 22-year tenure has lived up to his expectations of a "challenging, interesting, enjoyable and frustrating" role.

Beattie thanked Blair for helping to enable a smooth transition and is ready to embrace the "many challenges" facing the 42 member clubs. 

Rats leaving a sinking ship, springs to mind. 

The SFA / SPFL should be coming up with a strategy to get the lower leagues and cups back up and running. Is there any other country in Europe that has suspended any league? The incompetence is staggering. 

7 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

The SFA / SPFL should be coming up with a strategy to get the lower leagues and cups back up and running. Is there any other country in Europe that has suspended any league? The incompetence is staggering. 

I think they just did.    The Scottish Cup fixtures to recommence from mid February.   League games to restart in March.    Two weeks to get players fit.   I assuming they are using Cup games as a mini-pre-season. 

Edited by HMFC01

41 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Scottish football is so lucky to have an abundance of capable guys in charge, that's bound to eventually filter through to tangible things like good sponsorship and TV deals and success for the national team.

You'd imagine.

Italian Lambretta
On 25/01/2021 at 12:48, John Findlay said:

Interesting that some posters get away with misoginystic posts were others get a warning or a weeks ban.

15 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I think they just did.    The Scottish Cup fixtures to recommence from mid February.   League games to restart in March.    Two weeks to get players fit.   I assuming they are using Cup games as a mini-pre-season. 

"A further update will be communicated by Wednesday, 10 February.

The Scottish Cup Fourth Round fixtures scheduled for 20 February will not now go ahead, and all ties will be rescheduled and information communicated in due course. Consequently, Saturday, 20 February can be released as a fixture date for league matches."

That's what I get for reading and relying on sky sports to give me accurate information on their news. 

21 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Ignore my last quote. ☺ 

Edited by HMFC01

1 minute ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Interesting that some posters get away with misoginystic posts were others get a warning or a weeks ban.

In what way misogynistic?

10 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Scottish football is so lucky to have an abundance of capable guys in charge, that's bound to eventually filter through to tangible things like good sponsorship and TV deals and success for the national team.

You'd imagine.

Yeah 😁. Next up:   the disciplinary committee.   I won't be holding my breathe on that one. 

Guest ToqueJambo

"Iain had intended to step down in summer 2020, but agreed to defer his retirement by six months to help steer the League through the Covid-19 crisis."

🤣 🤣  🤣  You mean to be part of the team that made a complete dog's dinner of ending the league and then has presided over one disaster and embarrassment after another ever since?

Daily Record

Crisis talks are under way in an urgent bid to prevent the plug being pulled on this season’s Scottish Cup.

Record Sport understands emergency discussions have taken place over the last two days between the SFA and the SPFL as fears grow that fixture congestion caused by the ongoing coronaviruslockdown measures may mean the competition cannot be played to completion as scheduled, with this year’s final set for Hampden on May 8. 

It’s expected that a final decision will be announced next week with a number of radical options currently being examined, including a ‘worst case scenario’ which would see this season’s competition being effectively abandoned for the time being and then re-started after the summer.

The entire third round fixture list had to be scrapped at the weekend as 12 second round ties have still to be played.

That pileup has left 44 teams still in the running for 32 remaining third round places.

But with all football below the top two divisions currently suspended - and with no agreed date in place for a potential restart - the situation is becoming desperate.

And with eight fourth round ties also scheduled to be played out before the end of this month to determine the line up for the quarter finals, a complete contingency overhaul of this season’s competition is now required.

Show Player

This could include the creation of a ‘Scottish Cupfestival of football’, with as many as three rounds of matches being crammed into a ten day window ahead of the planned semi final dates on April 10 and 11. 

But such a plan could only be rubber-stamped if enough room can be made in the fixture list for all league matches to put on pause, in order for the cup matches to catch up.

And to further complicate matters six Highland League clubs are still to play second round ties - Brora Rangers, Huntly, Keith, Formartine, Fraserburgh and Nairn County - with fears growing that their entire league season could soon be declared null and void.

The SFA, though, are desperate to find a solution which will allow them not to pull the plug on their own crown jewel competition, which is worth around £5m in prize-pot money, shared out between all competing clubs across the country. 

(Image: SNS Group)

And with football facing a financial tsunami after almost a full year without match-day income, the need for that cash to be distributed could hardly be greater.

A source told us: “It’s now really a question of how innovative football can be if we are to find a way of playing this year’s Scottish Cup to completion.

“We should be whittled down to just 16 teams already. But there are still 44 clubs left in the competition. The question is, how can we get these ties played against the backdrop of what is already a heavily congested fixture list in the SPFL?

“With the European Championships scheduled to begin in June it means there is no room to extend the domestic season so the Scottish Cup Final can’t simply be moved back from May 8.

“The worst case scenario would be playing this season’s cup matches at the start of next season. But talks are ongoing in an attempt to find a better solution and there should be a definitive answer before the end of next week.”

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Don't see the problem. The precedent has been set with the Scottish Cup. 

Yup and the fact there was only very limited spaces for any fixtures to be fitted in despite them being played all over the place now

5 hours ago, sadj said:

SFA/SPFL fail to communicate shock.

What do you expect when Maxwell and Doncaster's modus operandi is like the tin foil bombers used to drop over Germany to confuse radar. Nothing is ever clear or transparent.

The infamous, long left behind Glasgow smog lingers on in the offices at Hampden. 

On 29/01/2021 at 15:28, fancy a brew said:

You'd imagine.

“Capable” in SPFL parlance a pseudonym for “Celtic Minded” 

3 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

SFA/SPFL fail to communicate shock.

What do you expect when Maxwell and Doncaster's modus operandi is like the tin foil bombers used to drop over Germany to confuse radar. Nothing is ever clear or transparent.

The infamous, long left behind Glasgow smog lingers on in the offices at Hampden. 

Chaff.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )