Sunderland 'Till I Die (Netflix)

Tommy Brown

Calebs Grandad

Really enjoyed both series but they just can’t accept that with the money that’s around in English football they are probably just a division 1 team at best. 

• 3 years later...

New 3 parter on Netflix. Enjoyed it especially.....

Lee Johnston's cameo in the first episode is priceless. The comment from the radio show immediately after is 😂

Edited by Mister T

Thanks for highlighting Season 3 is live. The first two seasons are brilliant viewing for a documentary. You can tell neither documentary season set out to profile an absolute collapse and failure of a big club and it was just amazing in the vein of being transfixed by a slow moving train wreck.

I love how it is also the origin of Welcome to Wrexham in that Rob McElhenney became obsessed with Sunderland Til I Die. And I admit to loving Welcome to Wrexham.

As someone who loves a good sports doc, I can't imagine two more equally delightful yet totally opposite vibes than Sunderland and Wrexham.

These behind the scene shows are a curse. Mind our one coincided with our demotion season. I blame it for covid too.

Seems to have been good for Wrexham though

Benny Klack

Sunderland till I die  - first two seasons were brilliant. They have always had a Scottish connection, from Bain to Jack Ross to McGeady. Look forward to watching the new season - wish it contained more wee Lee content than folks suggest above.

The owners in the last season came across as awful people 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

Sunderland till I die  - first two seasons were brilliant. They have always had a Scottish connection, from Bain to Jack Ross to McGeady. Look forward to watching the new season - wish it contained more wee Lee content than folks suggest above.

It's by far the best football documentary series. I don't know if it's meant to be hilarious, but it's on a par with the office. Last series had some posh, ex-Ibizia dj acting like a twat, before that Martin Bain was the only person using their "spa" and cryogenic chamber (costing £2 million a year).

Lee Johnson will be hilarious. I'm still holding out for a H1b5 one.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Batistuta87
12 hours ago, Mister T said:

New 3 parter on Netflix. Enjoyed it especially.....

Lee Johnston's cameo in the first episode is priceless. The comment from the radio show immediately after is 😂

Nice 👍

Really liked the first 2 series. Will defo be watching this.

2 hours ago, Benny Klack said:

McGeady is Irish, other than that completely agree. 

hughesie27
5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He's not though is he. 2 Scottish parents and born in Scotland. Just like how Che Adams is English.

Benny Klack
9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Ha ha - Scottish football connection then 😊

33 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

He's not though is he. 2 Scottish parents and born in Scotland. Just like how Che Adams is English.

Woosh ? 

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Just saw that. Beale for Hibs, once Monty gets the heave-ho? Wee Lee for Sunderland?

Lee was hated by the majority of fans but wouldnt put it past the current owners to re-employ LJ.

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Whopper of a man.

Deserved it for blanking the player he subbed off on Saturday and completely ignored when he went for a handshake. 

Terrible manager.

Mowbray was loved by players and fans alike and most fans bought into that Mowbray was trying to do with such a young squad. When they sacked Mowbray they should have replaced with better - not fecking Beale who is an awful manager. His CV at QPR, The Rangers and Sunderland should prevent him getting another managers job. 

Gundermann

TBH, what do Sunderland fans expect? They've just come up after years in the third tier and are just outside the play-offs. Would be like Dundee sacking Docherty for not making Europe or top six.

RustyRightPeg
16 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

TBH, what do Sunderland fans expect? They've just come up after years in the third tier and are just outside the play-offs. Would be like Dundee sacking Docherty for not making Europe or top six.

Not really. They're the biggest & best supported club in that league (IMO).

Sacking Mowbray, fair enough, 2 wins in 15 or something, but appointing Beale was verging on season ending suicide. I don't blame them for wanting him out, and I expect they'll climb into the playoffs quite easily with the right appointment.

Pasquale for King

Surely Beale will gp back to being an assistant, some guys just dont have the qualities to be a success manager. 

tiger Rudi
17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Surely Beale will gp back to being an assistant, some guys just dont have the qualities to be a success manager. 

This. Another Cathro. 

4 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Whopper of a man.

Deserved it for blanking the player he subbed off on Saturday and completely ignored when he went for a handshake. 

Terrible manager.

Yep he was a dead man walking after that,the guy he blanked is well liked and then once he realised he had fecked up he tried to put up a pathetic excuse on social media. Weasel.

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Not really. They're the biggest & best supported club in that league (IMO).

Sacking Mowbray, fair enough, 2 wins in 15 or something, but appointing Beale was verging on season ending suicide. I don't blame them for wanting him out, and I expect they'll climb into the playoffs quite easily with the right appointment.

Yes but they surprisingly have one of the lowest wage bills so they’re actually punching well above their weight this season.  

Regarding Beale I remember Huns telling me that Beale was the real manager when Gerrard was at Ibroke and how amazing he was going to be.  Not exactly worked out has it?!

55 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Being hated by QPR, Rangers and Sunderland fans is some going

Always reminds me of the guy in the pub who thinks he’s clever and talks crap constantly, and everyone is thinking ffs, please just shut up and **** off

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

May be good in theory but seems to lack the charisma needed as a manager to take players with him.  I can't imagine him inspiring many.

jambo_tar
15 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

hope they do not start sniffing round our manager 

Ditto. Roy Keane appears to be the fans choice. He is a regular on Gary Neville's podcast and he has said that he wants to get back into management. Did state that he wants the right job and not any old job. 

gordon simpson
36 minutes ago, jambo_tar said:

Ditto. Roy Keane appears to be the fans choice. He is a regular on Gary Neville's podcast and he has said that he wants to get back into management. Did state that he wants the right job and not any old job. 

hope so 

Binge watched this over the weekend, really enjoyed it. Can't help but feel for their fans who are tremendously loyal , sadly a few of them are no longer with us. 

I'd also forgotten Ozturk and Jon Mclaughlin played for them. Not much sympathy for Jack Ross or Wee Lee though.

Edited by EIEIO
Spelling

17 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Time will tell.

But the bigger common denominator here is Sunderland. 

yep, their carousel of managers since their departure from the premiership puts them in a difficult position where the managers they need think it's a poisoned chalice and the managers that do want to go there aren't good enough to meet some pretty high (and sometimes unrealistic) expectations. Each season they were in league one the expected to get automatically promoted cos they spent the most money, now because they have the most folk through the door every week they think they should be at least in the playoffs despite having a wage bill that's less than a sixth of league leaders Leicester. They get 40k per week at their games and yet have a £9m wage bill, the 4th lowest wage bill in the division, don't get me wrong I'm not saying that they spend outwith their means like they have in the past but they can't be giving managers their jotters every few months for not get promoted out of a league where 19 clubs are outspending you.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Ribble said:

yep, their carousel of managers since their departure from the premiership puts them in a difficult position where the managers they need think it's a poisoned chalice and the managers that do want to go there aren't good enough to meet some pretty high (and sometimes unrealistic) expectations. Each season they were in league one the expected to get automatically promoted cos they spent the most money, now because they have the most folk through the door every week they think they should be at least in the playoffs despite having a wage bill that's less than a sixth of league leaders Leicester. They get 40k per week at their games and yet have a £9m wage bill, the 4th lowest wage bill in the division, don't get me wrong I'm not saying that they spend outwith their means like they have in the past but they can't be giving managers their jotters every few months for not get promoted out of a league where 19 clubs are outspending you.

They're still suffering heavily from the shit show of the previous ownership & overspending.

Dallas Green
3 hours ago, EIEIO said:

I'd also forgotten Ozturk and Jon Mclaughlin played for them

Just looked him up and he has played for us more than any other team (and also scored and assisted more with us than anyone else).

He seemed to bounce around Turkish second division teams.

BelgeJambo

Season 3 not a patch on the first two.

New owner has **** all charisma.

Sad ending

Benny Klack

Really enjoyed this series - the benchmark in all these types of shows IMO. 

Very sad ending - the way this show captures the strength of feelings real people have to their football club is incredibly powerful. 

Neil came across well, as did Ross Stewart.

Hopefully this club gets back to the premier league one day but the club still seems like a basket case.

Agree that the young owner seems to lack charisma and just seems to be an over privileged Euro bot playing at being a club owner to be like his Dad. 

Edited by Benny Klack

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Benny Klack said:

Really enjoyed this series - the benchmark in all these types of shows IMO. 

Very sad ending - the way this show captures the strength of feelings real people have to their football club is incredibly powerful. 

Neil came across well, as did Ross Stewart.

Hopefully this club gets back to the premier league one day but the club still seems like a basket case.

Agree that the young owner seems to lack charisma and just seems to be an over privileged Euro bot playing at being a club owner to be like his Dad. 

Hopefully they do another series from this season. Would love to see what Beale's like behind the scenes. 

Benny Klack
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Hopefully they do another series from this season. Would love to see what Beale's like behind the scenes. 

Oh that would be great - could probably cover it off in half an episode