Sunderland 'Till I Die (Netflix)

Tommy Brown

Tommy Brown

Just finished series 2.

Thought S1 was good, S2 even better. I cannot praise this docu highly enough. Just hope S3 is being done.

Stuart Donald & Charlie Methven seem so genuine in their desire to get the club back in the right direction.

Inherited a cluster**** (Martin Bain) but got the fans on their side.

Jack Ross, our neighbours are welcome to him. It was becoming apparant in the run in that he learned too much from his previous protege (no need to guess).

Charlie fliping his duster with his marketing girl. I hope she got well paid for the footage, she'll be lucky to get another job in marketing again. :lol:

The transfer of Will Grig. JR "£1.25m is the top, he is not worth any more" Stuat Donald eventually crushed and paid £3m.

It was gripping to watch.

Losing Josh Maja was huge though, he was in great form, looked a natural goal scorer. The  club got treated poorly by player and agents.

The end of season drama of failing to get promotion. Losing a play-off final must be dreadful, particularly in this case.

Note

I don't really want this to end up about Hearts docu, but I think I will be hiding behind the couch in embarrassment.

Note 2

I found myself almost warming to Aiden McGeady

:hartley:

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

:oopsoops:

:lol: 

Watched it all last week, excellent tv, really liked Stewart Donald, live in Newcastle and know quite a few ST holders at Sunderland, they don't all feel that way, but nearly all of them hate Jack Toss

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just finished series 2.

Thought S1 was good, S2 even better. I cannot praise this docu highly enough. Just hope S3 is being done.

Stuart Donald & Charlie Methven seem so genuine in their desire to get the club back in the right direction.

Jack Ross, our neighbours are welcome to him. It was becoming apparant in the run in that he learned too much from his previous protege (no need to guess).

Charlie fliping his duster with his marketing girl. I hope she got well paid for the footage, she'll be lucky to get another job in marketing again. :lol:

The transfer of Will Grig. JR "£1.25m is the top, he is not worth any more" Stuat Donald eventually crushed and paid £3m.

Losing Josh Maja was huge though, he was in great form, looked a natural goal scorer. The  club got treated poorly by player and agents.

The end of season drama of failing to get promotion. Losing a play-off final must be dreadful, particularly in this case.

Note

I don't really want this to end up about Hearts docu, but I think I will be hiding behind the couch in embarrassment.

Note 2

Funny how you see things differently. 

Charlie didn't have a clear strategy himself,  shooting from the hip.

Martin Bains job was basically to send the bill to the owner and negotiate what he could. 

Did pretty well in the circumstances. 

Stuart Donald is a really good guy and like every other support there are some fantastic people and utter roasters. 

Merge with Netflix thread mods

Tommy Brown
16 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Martin Bains job was basically to send the bill to the owner and negotiate what he could. 

Stuart Donald is a really good guy and like every other support there are some fantastic people and utter roasters. 

I did search but didn't find it. 

:silviodamn::sweat:

Edited by Tommy Brown

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I thought Martin Bain came across a right tosser in the first season. Clearly fancies the pants off himself the perma tanned knobend. 
Charlie another huge tosser but clearly passionate about getting Sunderland up, it’s great television. Was also crystal clear he wasn’t impressed with Craig Lev...sorry I mean Jack Dross. 

I hope Hibs tramps are watching and realise what they’ve inherited😃🖕🏼

Edited by jack D and coke

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just finished series 2.

Note

Note 2

You're easily taken in! 

Tommy Brown

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/07/sunderland-fans-ire-owner-stewart-donald-sell-club

Seems to be on the fans hit-list.

Sticking with Jack Toss was an obvious mistake. (the old give him the pre-season and couple of months drivel)

I'm assuming Parkinson has not delivered well enough either. But he's just inherited JR's team.

now  2020's the icing on the cake, with another season  in League 1 guaranteed.

Tough gig, over-earning players inherited, lost best player for peanuts mid-season.

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Redhelen said:

You're easily taken in! 

Hey, I've followed Barnsley results since Danny Wilson days.

give us your views

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Hey, I've followed Barnsley results since Danny Wilson days.

give us your views

Jack Ross way too cautious but Sunderland fans were very confident that with games in hand they'd get 2nd or even win the league. Was hilarious watching it all unfold at the end of the season as we went on our winning run and Luton carried on regardless! They were very jammy to get some of those draws too,  in the Man utd style of loads of added time!

All down to Majas goals early on and when he went they had no team, just looking to Mcgeady to pull something out the hat. by all accounts he wasnt much of a team player.

Donald and Methwen only bothered about a quick buck not the long term stability of the club, but not getting promoted cost them big time. You can tell Charlie played to the camera, there were fan initiatives that helped that so called record at SOL on Boxing day. What did he actually do other than anatagonise fans by saying it was their fault that Sunderland lost games. 

Personally I think they'll struggle until someone has the willpower to grasp the bull by the horn and build up their squad slowly on more realistic wages  To me only Luke O'Nien came out with any credit!

Tommy Brown
6 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

Jack Ross way too cautious but Sunderland fans were very confident that with games in hand they'd get 2nd or even win the league. Was hilarious watching it all unfold at the end of the season as we went on our winning run and Luton carried on regardless! They were very jammy to get some of those draws too,  in the Man utd style of loads of added time!

All down to Majas goals early on and when he went they had no team, just looking to Mcgeady to pull something out the hat. by all accounts he wasnt much of a team player.

Everything I said in my OP

Donald and Methwen only bothered about a quick buck not the long term stability of the club, but not getting promoted cost them big time. You can tell Charlie played to the camera, there were fan initiatives that helped that so called record at SOL on Boxing day. What did he actually do other than anatagonise fans by saying it was their fault that Sunderland lost games. 

They hoped to move up quicker and make an attractive sale. Don't see anything wrong there, A challenging Sunderland in the Championship would always be an attraction for would be buyers. Failed by a poor First Team coach, wonder where he is now :lol:

Personally I think they'll struggle until someone has the willpower to grasp the bull by the horn and build up their squad slowly on more realistic wages  To me only Luke O'Nien came out with any credit!

The fans turned on him and told to sell up in January. Fans are fickle. If its not going right throw more money at it. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I thought Martin Bain came across a right tosser in the first season. Clearly fancies the pants off himself the perma tanned knobend. 
Charlie another huge tosser but clearly passionate about getting Sunderland up, it’s great television. Was also crystal clear he wasn’t impressed with Craig Lev...sorry I mean Jack Dross. 

Thought Bain had an impossible job. Most people in football fancy themselves,  almost a pre requisite  :)

Ross definitely a Leveinite though 

Unknown user

What was interesting to me was how easily perspective can be affected. After the first one I thought Martin Bain seemed ok, after the second one I thought he was a prick when I found out he'd installed that room for himself with the club losing millions.

Fitzroy Pointon

The Will Grigg transfer saga was great TV. I actually thought that Stuart Donald was going to have a stroke. 

Didn't show Ross in a good light at all. Seems like a guy who is completely bereft of a plan B. 

It's car crash and brilliant all at the same time. One of the only things I've watched that was made better by the fact that I knew what was coming. :lol:

Bain was a tool. A Hun tool at that. Akin to the Will Grigg thing, I recall Bain in S1 saying in an episode that he won't be held ransom to clubs and pay over the odds for players, then an episode or 2 later, he was trying to offer something like £12 million for Ross McCormack :lol:. Chris Coleman is a prick too. Another Brendan Rodgers. If he was chocolate, he'd eat himself.

S2 started in the best possible fashion. That scene in Methven's office with the music. :rofl: 

Followed by the scene in the stadium testing out Adagio for Strings on the PA. :rofl:

10 hours ago, Zen Jambo said:

Think it’s ace. That Charlie guy though, Barry Home Owner? 

Barry Home Owner and David Brent rolled into one.

19 minutes ago, Locky said:

It's car crash and brilliant all at the same time. One of the only things I've watched that was made better by the fact that I knew what was coming. :lol:

Bain was a tool. A Hun tool at that. Akin to the Will Grigg thing, I recall Bain in S1 saying in an episode that he won't be held ransom to clubs and pay over the odds for players, then an episode or 2 later, he was trying to offer something like £12 million for Ross McCormack :lol:. Chris Coleman is a prick too. Another Brendan Rodgers. If he was chocolate, he'd eat himself.

S2 started in the best possible fashion. That scene in Methven's office with the music. :rofl: 

Followed by the scene in the stadium testing out Adagio for Strings on the PA. :rofl:

How is he a prick? He’s a married man with 6 kids! 😂

35 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Trampy mackem *******s

:spoton:

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

What was interesting to me was how easily perspective can be affected. After the first one I thought Martin Bain seemed ok, after the second one I thought he was a prick when I found out he'd installed that room for himself with the club losing millions.

The account of it was hilarious imo

”Who uses it?”

”Aw, Martin Bain used to”

”Never mind that, what players are using it?”

”Eh, none of them?”

And I thought we were bad for pishing money away

Edited by Thommo414

Remnants of Standards
11 hours ago, Zen Jambo said:

Think it’s ace. That Charlie guy though, Barry Home Owner? 

Have a campachoochoo on me Charlie.

East Lothian Jambo
11 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Jack Ross is not much of a manager based on that documentary 

Methven is clearly a bellend. Some of his antics are just embarrassing.  Good telly though 

Bain is another throbber.  Clearly running a shit tip and getting Ellis Short to sign the cheques. I see he's got a gig out in India now with their Premier League.  He would go to the moon for a pay day 

22 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Methven is clearly a bellend. Some of his antics are just embarrassing.  Good telly though 

Bain is another throbber.  Clearly running a shit tip and getting Ellis Short to sign the cheques. I see he's got a gig out in India now with their Premier League.  He would go to the moon for a pay day 

The irony was he slated Jack Rodwell first series for not jeabibg without his full pay, but he got his full day when he was sacked for being a rubbish CEO. 

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Bain was irritating me within minutes of the first season, he’s a wrong un 100%. The cryo chamber that only he was using :lol: 

How these guys get into these positions is what baffles me. You’re right he’d go anywhere for the money. There’s not anything wrong with working in India but you can tell he’s a man with absolutely zero morals. He’d sell his granny. 

Carl Fredrickson

I have enjoyed watching both series but the firm that makes it are Sunderland supporters who at one time were looking to buy the club. S1 had some strange editing of clips from games and the part in S2 with the recovery tank was edited too. The tank was installed during Sam Allardyces time at the club at his request. He used it to keep a number of players with poor fitness records on the pitch. The two that I can think of are Kone and Kirkhof (sp?)

Moyes took over and didnt use it and so many players then had fitness issues. The tank wouldnt be a waste of money IF it was used for the players and not for that knob Bain. 

Jack Ross was welcomed early doors with the fans as he got them playing attacking football and was like a breath of fresh air after the last couple of managers. However that changed after a loss or draw (cant remember the game) where his tactics changed to trying to hold onto one goal leads (sounds familiar?) This was obvious to fans and the board alike and I was surprised that he didnt get sacked in the summer. 

Edited by Carl Fredrickson
Added thoughts on Jack Ross

12 hours ago, Locky said:

Barry Home Owner and David Brent rolled into one.

Stewart Donald has certainly got some Brent moments when he rocks up and tries to talk about football. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Enjoyed s2. Charlie boy was something else, David Brent esque character. Deserved a smack in the coupon the way he was speaking to the Northern Irish marketing lass on Boxing Day

Jack Ross was tactically inept and trying to hold on for 1-0 narrow results when their budget and playing squad pissed all over the rest of that league... :facepalm:

i did worry in the first episode when he was being shown around by an attractive Female member of staff by herself :oohmatron:

did find it hilarious when Charlie was screaming his head off from the directors box at Wembley in the league cup trophy final and then afterwards offering a critical analysis on the tactics. Summed himself up after the Coventry game “thats the first time I’ve seen a football club I’ve supported lose 5 goals at home..” 

as an aside, across the 2 seasons, have noticed that Sunderland appear to be a very boring bunch of fans with only 3 songs 

1. “Sunderland Till I Die...”

2. “...By far the Greatest Team the World has ever seen”

3. “Sunderland, Sunderland, Sunderland... (repeat as naseum)”

basically 3 songs that are used as generic ”insert team name” chants by dozens of English clubs. Maybe the doc only showed that and they have a bigger repertoire? 

Carl Fredrickson
23 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Enjoyed s2. Charlie boy was something else, David Brent esque character. Deserved a smack in the coupon the way he was speaking to the Northern Irish marketing lass on Boxing Day

Jack Ross was tactically inept and trying to hold on for 1-0 narrow results when their budget and playing squad pissed all over the rest of that league... :facepalm:

i did worry in the first episode when he was being shown around by an attractive Female member of staff by herself :oohmatron:

did find it hilarious when Charlie was screaming his head off from the directors box at Wembley in the league cup trophy final and then afterwards offering a critical analysis on the tactics. Summed himself up after the Coventry game “thats the first time I’ve seen a football club I’ve supported lose 5 goals at home..” 

as an aside, across the 2 seasons, have noticed that Sunderland appear to be a very boring bunch of fans with only 3 songs 

1. “Sunderland Till I Die...”

2. “...By far the Greatest Team the World has ever seen”

3. “Sunderland, Sunderland, Sunderland... (repeat as naseum)”

basically 3 songs that are used as generic ”insert team name” chants by dozens of English clubs. Maybe the doc only showed that and they have a bigger repertoire? 

Decent summary, the fans also sing I Cant Help Falling In Love With You. Dont know about any others - got to be some slagging Newcastle and Boro though. 

Holyrood_Hearts

Thought Stewart Donald & Luke o’Nien came across really well. Donald seems a decent guy who was trying to his best for the club (think Methven is the same but is a bit of an arsehole too) 

The Will Grigg transfer is incredible TV, although to be fair to SD he thought he was going the best thing to help the team. 

Tommy Brown
56 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Thought Stewart Donald & Luke o’Nien came across really well. Donald seems a decent guy who was trying to his best for the club (think Methven is the same but is a bit of an arsehole too) 

The Will Grigg transfer is incredible TV, although to be fair to SD he thought he was going the best thing to help the team. 

There didn't seem to be a plan B.

It seemed Grigg or nobody.

Couldn't grasp that.

Donald was certainly more worried than Ross that their top scorer was gone.

Bottle certainly crashed in the fee paid.

Edit

FFS, just checked 5 goals in 38.

Prolific, not.

Edited by Tommy Brown

I would be happy to work for Charlie Methven.

Yes he’s a , however he’s massively driven and requires some passion from his team too. Lots of energy with the best intentions.

You knew straight away how things were going to go with the Marketing Comms lady - what an utter waste of space. Attitude problems and high opinion of herself, without any respect to what the club needed to change and achieve. Charlie acts on it, good on them. 

Methven came across like every management consultant that I’ve ever met, micromanaging insignificant shite t like which song to play before the game but an utter failure and bully when it comes to anything of substance, like picking an arbitrary number that he wanted in attendance for the Boxing Day game and then ripping into staff for not having any ideas to make his plan work.

Donald seems decent enough but just doesn’t have the money to run things as he wants, by the end it was starting to dawn on him that overpaid mercenaries don’t guarantee success and that they should have cleared the decks and built a team to get them promoted rather than one they want for the championship. At that level they could have had 4/5 players in for the grigg money, maybe Jack Ross would have taken a different approach if he had more than one non scoring striker to work with.

No doubt after covid Donald will be offloading the dirty Mackems as quickly as he can, 3rd straight season in the third tier coming up.

jack D and coke
42 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Methven came across like every management consultant that I’ve ever met, micromanaging insignificant shite t like which song to play before the game but an utter failure and bully when it comes to anything of substance, like picking an arbitrary number that he wanted in attendance for the Boxing Day game and then ripping into staff for not having any ideas to make his plan work.

Donald seems decent enough but just doesn’t have the money to run things as he wants, by the end it was starting to dawn on him that overpaid mercenaries don’t guarantee success and that they should have cleared the decks and built a team to get them promoted rather than one they want for the championship. At that level they could have had 4/5 players in for the grigg money, maybe Jack Ross would have taken a different approach if he had more than one non scoring striker to work with.

No doubt after covid Donald will be offloading the dirty Mackems as quickly as he can, 3rd straight season in the third tier coming up.

Yep. A man who has sort of invented a job for himself and gets paid a fortune for basically kidding on he knows what’s hes doing. World is full of these ***** nowadays. 
An utter tosser. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Tommy Brown

@Ribble

Methven came across like every management consultant that I’ve ever met, micromanaging insignificant shite t like which song to play before the game but an utter failure and bully when it comes to anything of substance, like picking an arbitrary number that he wanted in attendance for the Boxing Day game and then ripping into staff for not having any ideas to make his plan work.

The record was 38k, they wanted to top it. Not an arbitrary figure.

the marketing girl  "not a cat in hells chance of getting 40k". They got 46k.

SD said 3 of sat in meeting and came out with no ideas, but would have another meeting. That was their job.

Then the pitch side blowup by CM.

comedy gold.

as I said in my OP, I hope she agreed for the editing and was well paid for. It showed her being in the wrong job. 

Edited by Tommy Brown

7 hours ago, mayfield said:

I would be happy to work for Charlie Methven.

Yes he’s a , however he’s massively driven and requires some passion from his team too. Lots of energy with the best intentions.

You knew straight away how things were going to go with the Marketing Comms lady - what an utter waste of space. Attitude problems and high opinion of herself, without any respect to what the club needed to change and achieve. Charlie acts on it, good on them. 

Hiya Charlie! 

17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sunderland fans are arseholes.

Well said Liam. They remind me of those perennial losers hibs. 

hmfc_liam06
10 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Entitled, a given they should be en EPL side. Think they are bigger than they are kinda thing?

8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Entitled, a given they should be en EPL side. Think they are bigger than they are kinda thing?

Aye that and I’ve got a soft spot for Newcastle thanks to Robbo. 

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Des Lynam said:

Aye that and I’ve got a soft spot for Newcastle thanks to Robbo. 

Tbh I find Newcastle the same :lol:

24 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Nothing more so than the woman in tears at the national stadium asking 'Why never us? Why do we never get to celebrate?'

been here before
23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That ****ing theme song, jesus 

The 'Skip Intro' button is a godsend.

hmfc_liam06
32 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Nothing more so than the woman in tears at the national stadium asking 'Why never us? Why do we never get to celebrate?'

I loved the bit in the first series where they were playing Celtic in a friendly and the taxi driver is predicting an easy 4-0 win (or thereabouts) for Sunderland :lol:

FERRY HEARTS

Watched both series and got hooked 

it was good seeing the inner workings of club around deadline dates

They mackam fans make some noise even after all shit they’ve been through 

especially liked the clip with the soldier fans young lad singing We are Sunderland Boot boys  brought back good memories of late 70 early 80 being taken to games by ma older brother