Is it now time to consider getting out of this corrupt Scottish league

Bauldrick

Problem is, where to we apply to  and who would welcome us?  or do we just soldier on, putting up with the present set-up in Scottish football where we will probably never be allowed to win the league championship ever again, the best we can hope for is the occasional good cup run and a flukey cup win despite the best attempts of the match officials to thwart us, I'm now totally p----d off with the way things are going, there's never ever going to be a level playing field, or is it this corona virus thing just getting me down and giving me a despondent and dismal viewpoint of all that is going on around me, cheery wee soul, aint I, now where's that whisky bottle.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Jambo-Fox

• Unknown user

• A_A wehatethehibs

12 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Surely you of all people would have a plan.......

:lol:

👀

I'd hate to play in England. Too many clubs, billions floating about and so disconnected its ridiculous.

I do think Hearts need to start kicking and screaming about league reconstruction to create an actual league rather than the current OF-centric sesspit. 

For a start, we need a bigger league. Playing each other 4 times a season is painful and removes any excitement. Its ****ing boring. **** Sky. You want 4 OF games? They can have two friendlies home and away before the season starts. **** yis. 

SpruceBringsteen

I'd rather it was untenable for Celtic and Rangers to stay in the Scottish league than Hearts.

Unfortunately they both have 50-60k "humans" who make that impossible.

2 hours ago, OTT said:

I'd hate to play in England. Too many clubs, billions floating about and so disconnected its ridiculous.

I do think Hearts need to start kicking and screaming about league reconstruction to create an actual league rather than the current OF-centric sesspit. 

For a start, we need a bigger league. Playing each other 4 times a season is painful and removes any excitement. Its ****ing boring. **** Sky. You want 4 OF games? They can have two friendlies home and away before the season starts. **** yis. 

As I've posted on here often, I love Scottish football apart from it's glaringly obvious fatal flaw.  I couldn't agree more with your post and in particular with the 2nd paragraph.  Surely this is the time for all the clubs bar two to rebel and demand changes to level up the playing field.

If we can't offload the two offenders, can't we completely revamp the administration.  Move it to Edinburgh for a start and rebuild it from scratch.  English or foreign referees.  One club, one vote.  A huge clampdown on sectarian behaviour.  

I don't have all the answers but a purge on the duopoly in a manner which gives all clubs a decent chance of success.  What we have now is just a sick joke.

Perhaps looking for likeminded clubs and breaking away from the cesspit is the answer. I’m sure there are others who are just as scunnered as we are with joke that the SPFL has become. 

Absolute fantasy. 

the only option would be to have an all encompassing British Super League split into regions (geographic). But that would damage lower tier in all countries. 

or

partner up with other smaller reputation leagues in the Nordics er al. but that wouldn’t be financially viable for fans. I don’t know why I think this but Finland, Norway, Iceland seem to be more aligned to the Scots as people. 

stay in Scotland, use what we’ve got. Sadly, that’s not a lot. 

Greedy Jambo

Could we not start our own league and invite teams to join? 

It could be called the SPHL

Scottish Professional Hoofball League

Berra could be Chief Executive. 

I'll get my coat. 

If the Texaco cup was what it would be like to play in an English/Scottish league then bring it on, every game was like a cup final and games against the likes of Wolves and Burnley were sellouts I also remember the away games at Mortherwell and Airdrie were rocking with so much atmosphere and exceptional crowds. Bring it on, lets escape the dark ages.

52 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

on’t know why I think this but Finland, Norway, Iceland seem to be more aligned to the Scots as people. 

Independent small nations. They must laugh at us.

Fantasy’s stuff.

we have a corrupt organisation running it, corrupt officials refereeing games, and now of course we have rat clubs that are corrupt also.

we just have to hope it’s all flushed out via the independent enquiry. It will be slightly easier from now on for me and others in that I will no longer have to witness corruption in away league games (bar 5 grounds across all divisions) as I won’t go near their stadia ever again. So the only corruption I’ll see is the officials at Tynecastle 

1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Perhaps looking for likeminded clubs and breaking away from the cesspit is the answer. I’m sure there are others who are just as scunnered as we are with joke that the SPFL has become. 

The vast majority unfortunately voted along with this shambles.

13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We're a proud Scottish team, we belong in the scottish leagues.

When the vast majority of teams in the top league, a top league we are part of want you expelled from that league for no reason other than to give Celtic the title and to make sure teams like Forfar get a few grand?

We are a proud Scottish team, but this is not a proud Scottish League.

Wont happen anyway.

Unknown user
Just now, Gambo said:

When the vast majority of teams in the top league, a top league we are part of want you expelled from that league for no reason other than to give Celtic the title and to make sure teams like Forfar get a few grand?

We are a proud Scottish team, but this is not a proud Scottish League.

Wont happen anyway.

Yep, the corruption needs dealt with but this is where we belong and we shouldn't be chased out by snide and shenanigans. We have a louder voice than we realise.

17 minutes ago, Gambo said:

The vast majority unfortunately voted along with this shambles.

That’s all part of the problem, that and the fact that a fair few of the Chairmen of some of the lower league teams are actually old firm supporters.  What an absolute shambles of a league we have. Corrupt and totally rotten to the core.

Edited by Deevers

David McCaig

Maybe a group of us could leave en-masse and form a Scottish division higher up the English pyramid directly below National League North.

I would imagine Ian Murray and the Tories would be hugely supportive of any idea.

Screw Scottish football, screw the SFA and screw the national team... And I say that as a lifelong SNP supporter!!!

David McCaig
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

100% if it was possible to do something.    But it seems far fetched sadly.

I'm pretty sure the FA would do whatever the Westminster government tell them to.  In terms of cementing the Union, I'm amazed they've not gone down the no brainer option of a full blown British League.

Scottish Football is probably the strongest example of devolution/independence not working there is.

57 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I'm pretty sure the FA would do whatever the Westminster government tell them to.  In terms of cementing the Union, I'm amazed they've not gone down the no brainer option of a full blown British League.

Scottish Football is probably the strongest example of devolution/independence not working there is.

Hard to disagree with your last para but as an independence supporter I will try. The SPFL and to a lesser extent the SFA are both viewed as corrupt organisations , I don't see them as Scottish institutions but Glasgow ones. They remind me of the old rotten Labour burgh (and boroughs in England) found in Scotland post war best examples being Glasgow, Lanarkshire (various) and Dundee in George Galloways day. Cronyism, bribes, corruption were the order of the day. When Labour was swept out of power in Scotland things improved.

As for football I would make the SPFL a subsidiary of the SFA rather than allow it to function as a separate cartel with it's own rules and and board of directors. The SFA should function like a parliament and be open to public scrutiny and the minutes of it's meetings published (meetings possibly streamed on their website for nerds out there)  I realise negotiations for sponsorship deals may be confidential but 95 percent of their business is not. It's all about being open about how and why decisions are made we will never agree with all of them but at least we'd know we weren't being swindled or lied to.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Hard to disagree with your last para but as an independence supporter I will try. The SPFL and to a lesser extent the SFA are both viewed as corrupt organisations , I don't see them as Scottish institutions but Glasgow ones. They remind me of the old rotten Labour burgh (and boroughs in England) found in Scotland post war best examples being Glasgow, Lanarkshire (various) and Dundee in George Galloways day. Cronyism, bribes, corruption were the order of the day. When Labour was swept out of power in Scotland things improved.

As for football I would make the SPFL a subsidiary of the SFA rather than allow it to function as a separate cartel with it's own rules and and board of directors. The SFA should function like a parliament and be open to public scrutiny and the minutes of it's meetings published (meetings possibly streamed on their website for nerds out there)  I realise negotiations for sponsorship deals may be confidential but 95 percent of their business is not. It's all about being open about how and why decisions are made we will never agree with all of them but at least we'd know we weren't being swindled or lied to.

I'm an independence supporter, but Scottish football is probably the worst example of Scottish autonomy imaginable!!

Just now, David McCaig said:

I'm an independence supporter, but Scottish football is probably the worst example of Scottish autonomy imaginable!!

Henry McLeish former Labour first minister wrote a book about the decline of Scottish Football published in the last couple of years. To say he's not a fan of the self interest of the clubs and the SPFL set up is an understatement. Might reread it as the lockdown continues could be quite topical.

David McCaig
Just now, EIEIO said:

Henry McLeish former Labour first minister wrote a book about the decline of Scottish Football published in the last couple of years. To say he's not a fan of the self interest of the clubs and the SPFL set up is an understatement. Might reread it as the lockdown continues could be quite topical.

The big problem is the dominance of the Old Firm.

Whilst the EPL rules the roost down south it is still far more collegiate in its outlook.

colinmaroon
13 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Scottish Football is controlled by one team that is not Scottish and another, to a lesser extent,  expat team, plus Sky, not Scottish, administered by an incompetent Englishman.

Hectormasson
10 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I'd rather it was untenable for Celtic and Rangers to stay in the Scottish league than Hearts.

Unfortunately they both have 50-60k "humans" who make that impossible.

Subhumans surely ??🙊🙊🙊🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Independent small nations. They must laugh at us.

Quite rightly as well. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

It also highlights the relegious divide and how deep it runs. 

A blight not only on our football, but our society. 

😢

Lord Beni of Gorgie

How about we just pack in voluntarily and turn Tynecastle into a shrine. Put a jumbotron in the middle and just repeat our finest moments. 

Bit of VR (virtual reality not Vladimir) grab a headset and live out the finest moments through the eyes of McCartney Walker Mackay Young Battles Bauld Wardhaugh Robbo and Adam all the way through to Skacel and Hartley. 

More VR in the custom built terrace cinema. 

Revisit the surges of Anfield,  even the losing semifinal in 93, and many many derbies. 

Live in a world of blissful peace worshipping the greatest team that ever did exist free of the poison 40 miles west 

Edited by Sir Gio

Bazzas right boot

A breakaway league would never happen as too many clubs vote in line to keep the OF as they want their gate money. 

TV wise, the of take about 50% of the income, so any TV deal could be upto 50% less and it would keep all clubs as is. 

Saints x2, Killie, Hamilton, etc all bend the knee to the OF. 

Even Aberdeen do. 

Shite House league. 

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

A breakaway league would never happen as too many clubs vote in line to keep the OF as they want their gate money. 

TV wise, the of take about 50% of the income, so any TV deal could be upto 50% less and it would keep all clubs as is. 

Saints x2, Killie, Hamilton, etc all bend the knee to the OF. 

Even Aberdeen do. 

Shite House league. 

I'm which case breaking away with Rangers and others to England may be best solution.

This thread should have been scrapped after the first reply. 

The thought of playing in England sounds atrocious to me. 

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Scottish Football is controlled by one team that is not Scottish and another, to a lesser extent,  expat team, plus Sky, not Scottish, administered by an incompetent Englishman.

Just now it’s controlled fully by just one team. They have their people in positions of influence in both regulating bodies. It all has to be done to suit Celtic - absolutely everything. Time for real change - unfortunately the game is in the hands of completely spineless individuals in most of the clubs in the lower leagues.  If these people got off their knees maybe something could be done to rescue the sport and make it something worthwhile. When you read the absolute Self seeking  tripe spouted by the Raith  chairman you realise what an uphill struggle it would be though.  

5 minutes ago, Homme said:

This thread should have been scrapped after the first reply. 

The thought of playing in England sounds atrocious to me. 

It's not a corrupt league. Nothing to lose

adambraejambo
5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I'm which case breaking away with Rangers and others to England may be best solution.

If that was possible both Celtic and Rangers would have broken away and joined England ages ago. The only way I can see a UK based league is if this virus stays around for alot longer than expected and alot of clubs go to the wall. If sky go bankrupt and the cash dries up. The game south of the border would need to reboot . Obv though I want Covid 19 to be gone asap so we prob need to just sort the SFA/SPFL and get our house in order. 

3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Hang on there

The Scottish league set up and the SFA have been corrupt for years. Long before devolution and independence became popular. The SNP were a minority party for nearly all the 20th century and Scottish football was run to suit two clubs even then. 

Just because our football is shite and corrupt doesn't mean everything else is the same. 

One other thing this is a Scottish football problem and it's up to all our clubs to find a way through it and not run away to England or Scandinavia or elsewhere. 

Edited by luckydug

A_A wehatethehibs

I would do it in a heartbeat Scottish Football is DEAD 

Join the FA, northern conference, work our way up. Might take years, decades. I would follow Hearts. 

Bin the Glaswegian Football Association it is complete pish run by a bunch of corrupt gambling addict ****wits. No possibility of EVER progressing to better quality football on Scottish pitches or better national team with that shower at the helm, we need to look at clubs joining the English League. I’d be happy for Hearts to lead the charge.

We would fly the Scottish flag with pride as Cardiff and Swansea do the welsh. 

Sadly our small time politics would prevent it from ever happening, so we will just continue with this old firm circus forever, with other clubs winning one cup every 50 years and never being able to qualify for Europe as any decent players when you have a decent season just leave to go to England so it’s not possible to keep a team together.

And even when you do have a good year, your dream doesn’t take you to the San Siro or Bernabeu, you end up in Slovenia or Belarus or some shithole. Then you sell any good players and you’re back to playing the same 10 clubs with empty stadiums 4 times a season for the next 1000 years with celtic / rangers winning every league. Just accept the flow of players out of our clubs into league 1 level in England as there’s more money there. Pitiful. Player after player after player leaves us to go to England, and the players who come the other way are pish / past it. We could forge a different future - instead of Scottish players leaving to join English football, bring English football to Scotland. 

The reality is though, if there’s ever to be a Scottish club playing in England it won’t be an existing club. Too much baggage and politics. You’d probably have to form a new club for it to be possible. Maybe someone will do it

For a long time I have advocated for the creation of a British football league.

Revenue wise, we would actually become much larger and be playing the sort of football we want to see. Sure, the league would be unbelievably difficult to win but we aren't winning it here and foreign ownership, should we ever go down that route again, would likely happen because Edinburgh is such a great city and we are such a great club.

Scottish football, like many things in Scotland, has been stagnating for ages whilst the rest of the world takes us over.

A_A wehatethehibs

A lot of Scottish folk forget that we already HAVE English football in Scotland, shitloads of it constantly through our tv screens and sky subscriptions. 

But no Scottish clubs get the benefit, all the money goes to England as do ALL of your favourite players now and forever. Even Rudi, thought of as such a legend here, binned us for his first offer in England. Bring English league football to a pitch in Scotland. 

Hearts a Scottish club playing in a National UK League sounds good to me!

The other clubs would embrace Hearts and Edinburgh.

Now is the time to do it, SPFL in meltdown and likelihood that several clubs the length and breadth of country will cease to exist.

The Gorgie Boys are going to a new league!

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Hearts a Scottish club playing in a National UK League sounds good to me!

The other clubs would embrace Hearts and Edinburgh.

Now is the time to do it, SPFL in meltdown and likelihood that several clubs the length and breadth of country will cease to exist.

The Gorgie Boys are going to a new league!

I'm in.

Edinburgh, outside of London is the most wealthiest city in the UK. Burnley or Wolverhampton, are third world towns in comparison. So in a properly run and competitive UK league , foreign investment would pour in and the Scottish card would give a new marketing dimension and promote football tourism. Unfortunately Celtic FC are draining the life out of Scottish football with their insatiable desire to dominate the administration, media and finance of the game. No one will be around to see their 12 and half, in a row or multiple quadruple treble treble as the boredom will extinguish any lingering interest. So yes a new environment sorely needed. Scottish football must be the worst possible advert for Scottish independence 

I don't see any easy or simple answers.  there shall be less money around next term whenever that is, also we shall lose some of our support, of all ages.  RIP lads.    Too many people are not social distancing  etc.  

Ex member of the SaS

I have no problem with teams voting in their own self interest, but that is why this vote was corrupt from the start. However teams should be looking at the bigger picture and instead of rolling over for the Glasgow pound should be fighting for a fairer league. Hibs for example ( not their fans ) should be considering the derbies, and the loss in revenue and excitement it brings. Somethings you can't put a financial angle to. The fact that clubs are being blackmailed due to tying the vote to league positions is all down to ONE person using their position to benefit their own club. Said at the time Lawell being in the job would be a disaster waiting to happen and so it's come to pass.

Celtic are desperate for 10 in a row. I can't see how the season being null and void can interrupt this. just write off this season and rerun it from the start, OR simply pay out the cash ( equally between ALL teams ) and restructure the league for next season. There was no real outcry when Aberdeen were saved due to the rules on seated stadia were introduced, so why can't they do the same now?