Jump to content

The Corona Guitar thread.


Greedy Jambo
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve had a snoop around on sites I’ve bought from and Focusrite seems to be the most popular just now. If it’s just the one guitar they do a Scarlett that comes with a great software bundle for about £100 

I was just about to click on your link but I'll look that up.  That make was recommended in one of the tutorials and is well in the price range.  Getting a software bundle would be better.  Didn't realise I could get uo and running for as little as that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Tazio

    59

  • superjack

    49

  • Greedy Jambo

    109

  • One five

    93

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I was just about to click on your link but I'll look that up.  That make was recommended in one of the tutorials and is well in the price range.  Getting a software bundle would be better.  Didn't realise I could get uo and running for as little as that.  

Make sure you check the USB output is compatible with your computer. Lots of them are USB-C now. Annoyingly I’ve got a couple of really nice Edirol units that are FireWire as I bought them to work with Apple and now they’re more use as paperweights unless I use an old laptop. 
The one below is usb c

https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_solo_3rd_gen.htm
 

Thomann are a company I use a lot. Nice quick delivery and good prices. 

Edited by Tazio
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Make sure you check the USB output is compatible with your computer. Lots of them are USB-C now. Annoyingly I’ve got a couple of really nice Edirol units that are FireWire as I bought them to work with Apple and now they’re more use as paperweights unless I use an old laptop. 

I've just bought that scarlett one with a software bundle for £130.  The software is Appletonive which was mentioned in a tutorial.  It is basic USB connection.   Just a mic to get now.  For my needs I won't have to go overboard price wise?   

Thanks for this.  I'm now sort of up and running.  Just to collect at argos.  That was easy.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nice one. Have fun with it. YouTube is brilliant if you have any problems with loads of excellent video tutorials on all different levels of experience. 

I'm looking at mics now.  Should I just go for a condensed one for basic vocals in the house?  There is one that you need electricity with but can't remember the which type.  I sound like I'm gargling porridge anyway.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I'm looking at mics now.  Should I just go for a condensed one for basic vocals in the house?  There is one that you need electricity with but can't remember the which type.  I sound like I'm gargling porridge anyway.  

A condenser is best for recording purposes as they’re more sensitive. They need phantom power which will be switchable on the interface. There is a button that says 48v that supplies that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tazio said:

This one is a good deal, I’ve got a couple I’ve used for recording podcasts and vocals on music. Also very good for recording acoustic guitar. Bonus that it comes with a free stand as well. 
 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/11112416292532--samson-c01-microphone

I've just grabbed myself one for £30.  That's me all the basics to get started.  I'll bookmark that mic you've recommended and see if it's there in a couple of weeks.   This time next week I'm up and running.   Brilliant help that's got me over the line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Tazio said:

This one is a good deal, I’ve got a couple I’ve used for recording podcasts and vocals on music. Also very good for recording acoustic guitar. Bonus that it comes with a free stand as well. 
 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/11112416292532--samson-c01-microphone

I cancelled the mic package that I'd ordered from Amazon and went back and bought this.  Huge difference in quality for about an extra £15.  Had to buy a air blocker and desktop mic stand but well worth the extra.  That's it all in the post now.  Brilliant advice yesterday. 

Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I have finally bought a guitar. Used to play when a wee bit younger, stopped at 20 (1993). 

I've been thinking about it for a while, so just bougjt a cheap strat copy. Connect to mynipad and off I go.

Still remembered a few tunes as well, will just take a while to get my fingers moving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

N Lincs Jambo
On 30/12/2020 at 13:27, Auldbenches said:

I want to start recording guitar onto my laptop.  I've looked at audio interfaces but can only find ones in my price range with mic sockets on them.  I can't find one that takes I can put a guitar lead directly into.  Is there a lead that I can buy that goes from the guitar to a mic socket?   I've looked a couple of tutorials but can't see how they what they connect the guitar with. 


Can’t believe I missed this thread first time around. If you’re still looking to record guitar onto your laptop there’s a budget range amp which allows you to do that. It’s the Boss Katana. I picked up a Boss Katana Mk 1 2nd hand last week for £160 off Facebook and it’s amazing.

 

Also if you go to www.justinguitar.com he has a few video tutorials on how to set it up and get the most out of it.

 

Also for anyone else looking to get started on guitar the above site is brilliant. Virtually all the content is free. I’ve been using it for over 10 years now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:


Can’t believe I missed this thread first time around. If you’re still looking to record guitar onto your laptop there’s a budget range amp which allows you to do that. It’s the Boss Katana. I picked up a Boss Katana Mk 1 2nd hand last week for £160 off Facebook and it’s amazing.

 

Also if you go to www.justinguitar.com he has a few video tutorials on how to set it up and get the most out of it.

 

Also for anyone else looking to get started on guitar the above site is brilliant. Virtually all the content is free. I’ve been using it for over 10 years now.

Can you transfer what you've recorded on there to other software to edit etc? 

I'll look at that amp when funds allow.

Just been getting into it over the last couple of weeks. 

Brilliant fun during this period. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

N Lincs Jambo
26 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Can you transfer what you've recorded on there to other software to edit etc? 

I'll look at that amp when funds allow.

Just been getting into it over the last couple of weeks. 

Brilliant fun during this period. 


I believe you can record onto software like Logic. My daughter finished a music degree last year and she has Logic Pro X on her laptop. I’m hoping she’ll let me plug in to her laptop and have a play. Not sure about other software but there must be other stuff about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, N Lincs Jambo said:


I believe you can record onto software like Logic. My daughter finished a music degree last year and she has Logic Pro X on her laptop. I’m hoping she’ll let me plug in to her laptop and have a play. Not sure about other software but there must be other stuff about.

I got a basic bit of software with the audio interface that I'm still learning before I upgrade if need be.  Just getting used to the basics and enjoying it.  Excellent fun at home.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

N Lincs Jambo
24 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I got a basic bit of software with the audio interface that I'm still learning before I upgrade if need be.  Just getting used to the basics and enjoying it.  Excellent fun at home.  


What’s the software you’re using? Might be interested for when my daughter goes back to Manchester and takes her laptop with her 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, N Lincs Jambo said:


What’s the software you’re using? Might be interested for when my daughter goes back to Manchester and takes her laptop with her 😂

FL Studio 20. It comes free with tbe audio interface.  There are other free ones but not sure how good.  I think you'll get a free download that'll do if it's just recording guitar and vocals.  

I'm just doing wee tutorials to improve in the basics. 

Plenty videos on YouTube. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't believe I've missed this thread! I've had a passion for playing the axe for years so much so it has cost me a fortune on pedals lol now I'm thinking of changing amp ! We never are happy with our sound are we ! or is it just me 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/12/2020 at 00:24, Greedy Jambo said:

What kind of set up do i need to be as cool as this guy?

 

 

You’ve probably got your sound by now but if not any decent OD pedal with you’r guitar on the bridge with your amp set with a hint of gain should give you something near it mate👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

N Lincs Jambo
3 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

FL Studio 20. It comes free with tbe audio interface.  There are other free ones but not sure how good.  I think you'll get a free download that'll do if it's just recording guitar and vocals.  

I'm just doing wee tutorials to improve in the basics. 

Plenty videos on YouTube. 

 


Cheers m8 I‘ll check it out👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just found this thread as well, I am so glad many have you have got back into playing or even taken it up for the first time, I have played bass guitar for about 25 years! The pandemic has sucked for bands with all of the restrictions, I have played more than ever using my old Boss Dr. Rhythm drum machine, it is starting to crap out on me, it's 15 years old so it forced me to finally learn how to use my Zoom r8 sequencer! I just starting singing before the pandemic so I have spent countless hours learning to sing while playing bass to a drum beat, it has been fun! I have an acoustically engineered basement studio with lots of gear so it doesn't bother the wife when I'm playing some punk rock which she doesn't care for much! I have some knowledge in recording with interfaces into software if anyone has questions I can try to help! Cheers! carl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, gator said:

I just found this thread as well, I am so glad many have you have got back into playing or even taken it up for the first time, I have played bass guitar for about 25 years! The pandemic has sucked for bands with all of the restrictions, I have played more than ever using my old Boss Dr. Rhythm drum machine, it is starting to crap out on me, it's 15 years old so it forced me to finally learn how to use my Zoom r8 sequencer! I just starting singing before the pandemic so I have spent countless hours learning to sing while playing bass to a drum beat, it has been fun! I have an acoustically engineered basement studio with lots of gear so it doesn't bother the wife when I'm playing some punk rock which she doesn't care for much! I have some knowledge in recording with interfaces into software if anyone has questions I can try to help! Cheers! carl

If you could learn me to sing you would be a magician lol, seriously though it’s funny but I’ve played less guitar since the original lockdown don’t know why really think it was just not having any purpose in learning new stuff as I was used to playing with guys and got bored playing with just a drum, I’ve been downloading backing tracks and I’m getting back into it now started going through different sounds I can get it’s amazing what you can get when you try lol.sometimes a new bit of gear can get the juices flowing again 🤟

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, One five said:

If you could learn me to sing you would be a magician lol, seriously though it’s funny but I’ve played less guitar since the original lockdown don’t know why really think it was just not having any purpose in learning new stuff as I was used to playing with guys and got bored playing with just a drum, I’ve been downloading backing tracks and I’m getting back into it now started going through different sounds I can get it’s amazing what you can get when you try lol.sometimes a new bit of gear can get the juices flowing again 🤟

If I can learn how to sing and play anyone can😀, I think it can be more difficult learning to sing and play bass because the bass doesn't carry the melody in most songs, I'm realizing it is easier to learn bass driven melody songs! If you are used to playing in bands the lockdown can be a real drag, many of my mates in gigging bar bands have lost some enthusiasm, they are so used to rehearsing and playing every week this has upset their routine! I have always practiced with a drum machine whether I am playing in a band or not, with learning to sing I have looked at this as an opportunity to get better! I am so glad you're getting back in to it, you are right , new gear makes a huge difference in motivating you to play! Keep me updated and thanks for responding!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, gator said:

If I can learn how to sing and play anyone can😀, I think it can be more difficult learning to sing and play bass because the bass doesn't carry the melody in most songs, I'm realizing it is easier to learn bass driven melody songs! If you are used to playing in bands the lockdown can be a real drag, many of my mates in gigging bar bands have lost some enthusiasm, they are so used to rehearsing and playing every week this has upset their routine! I have always practiced with a drum machine whether I am playing in a band or not, with learning to sing I have looked at this as an opportunity to get better! I am so glad you're getting back in to it, you are right , new gear makes a huge difference in motivating you to play! Keep me updated and thanks for responding!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, gator said:

If I can learn how to sing and play anyone can😀, I think it can be more difficult learning to sing and play bass because the bass doesn't carry the melody in most songs, I'm realizing it is easier to learn bass driven melody songs! If you are used to playing in bands the lockdown can be a real drag, many of my mates in gigging bar bands have lost some enthusiasm, they are so used to rehearsing and playing every week this has upset their routine! I have always practiced with a drum machine whether I am playing in a band or not, with learning to sing I have looked at this as an opportunity to get better! I am so glad you're getting back in to it, you are right , new gear makes a huge difference in motivating you to play! Keep me updated and thanks for responding!

Yeah I can imagine mate trying to do a bass line and sing the melody 🥴

I wasn't doing anything seriously at lockdown just messing around with a couple of guys really but the singer /guitarist wasn't really into getting back gigging think he is more interested in doing his own stuff. I got myself a digi tech trio it's great for practicing/ learning stuff especially riffs and any lead I dare to do lol . I just have to play the rhythm and the trio records the drum and bass to the rhythm then a can lay the guitar parts over them it's cool. Yeah keep in touch 🤟

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gator said:

If I can learn how to sing and play anyone can😀, I think it can be more difficult learning to sing and play bass because the bass doesn't carry the melody in most songs, I'm realizing it is easier to learn bass driven melody songs! If you are used to playing in bands the lockdown can be a real drag, many of my mates in gigging bar bands have lost some enthusiasm, they are so used to rehearsing and playing every week this has upset their routine! I have always practiced with a drum machine whether I am playing in a band or not, with learning to sing I have looked at this as an opportunity to get better! I am so glad you're getting back in to it, you are right , new gear makes a huge difference in motivating you to play! Keep me updated and thanks for responding!

Playing the bass or drums while singing is the really difficult.  Well done.  I've tried it with the bass and impossible after playing the guitar. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Playing the bass or drums while singing is the really difficult.  Well done.  I've tried it with the bass and impossible after playing the guitar. 

 

Yeah, it's a struggle especially if you have never sang before, it has added a new challenge to my music playing during these times of isolation so it's all good, I learn a lot from recording myself, some of it is god awful and makes me think I should stick to just trying to play bass, as a long time Hearts supporter I am used to struggles and challenges!😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gator said:

Yeah, it's a struggle especially if you have never sang before, it has added a new challenge to my music playing during these times of isolation so it's all good, I learn a lot from recording myself, some of it is god awful and makes me think I should stick to just trying to play bass, as a long time Hearts supporter I am used to struggles and challenges!😀

It is difficult not being self critical with it, but sometimes you listen back and the guitar is better than you thought.  

I fet stuck on just getting better at what I can do rather than challenge myself.

I need to try and learn a new style if guitar to stretch myself.  Some jazz chords etc. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FinnBarr Saunders
On 30/12/2020 at 15:00, Tazio said:

Nice one. Have fun with it. YouTube is brilliant if you have any problems with loads of excellent video tutorials on all different levels of experience. 

 

My daughter pretty much taught herself to play guitar using Youtube. Then with a wee bit of help from the school and a few musician mates of mine she got herself a "higher" in music. Does no bad busking in Livi now when allowed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

It is difficult not being self critical with it, but sometimes you listen back and the guitar is better than you thought.  

I fet stuck on just getting better at what I can do rather than challenge myself.

I need to try and learn a new style if guitar to stretch myself.  Some jazz chords etc. 

 

Reference to self criticism I think most singers and guitarist are mate I know I am for sure on the guitar(I don't sing)I read once in a David Bowie book that he did no like his voice and wanted to sing like one of the singer from the Walker brothers. I'm sure Mick Ronson was going to give up the guitar after listening to some of the players coming through that was exceptionally fast at playing and most of us can only dream to get to there levels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
superjack
On 10/02/2021 at 23:50, superjack said:

I have finally bought a guitar. Used to play when a wee bit younger, stopped at 20 (1993). 

I've been thinking about it for a while, so just bougjt a cheap strat copy. Connect to mynipad and off I go.

Still remembered a few tunes as well, will just take a while to get my fingers moving.

After a few months, it is all coming back now. Nailed a few oasis numbers and a couple of Metallica. 

Starting to regret not doing this a few years earlier though.

I'll be spending the weekend lowering the action and filing down the frets as I'm now working on some lead riffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, superjack said:

After a few months, it is all coming back now. Nailed a few oasis numbers and a couple of Metallica. 

Starting to regret not doing this a few years earlier though.

I'll be spending the weekend lowering the action and filing down the frets as I'm now working on some lead riffs.

Cool mate , what matallica songs did you learn? Love them but I’ve never learned any of there stuff maybe it’s about time I did 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

superjack
2 hours ago, One five said:

Cool mate , what matallica songs did you learn? Love them but I’ve never learned any of there stuff maybe it’s about time I did 👍

It was the type of Music I used to play years ago, nailed enter sandman in a couple of hours last night.

Once you've sussed a couple of their tunes, their music can be reasonably easy to pick up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, superjack said:

It was the type of Music I used to play years ago, nailed enter sandman in a couple of hours last night.

Once you've sussed a couple of their tunes, their music can be reasonably easy to pick up.

Great song 👍They have been one of my favourite bands for years . I play a lot of rock sabbath,  judes priest stuff so will give them a go , cheers mate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

superjack
2 hours ago, One five said:

Great song 👍They have been one of my favourite bands for years . I play a lot of rock sabbath,  judes priest stuff so will give them a go , cheers mate.

Go onto you tube and search for Marty music. His tutorials are amazing for metal tunes. I use andy guitar on you tube for less heavy rock music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, superjack said:

Go onto you tube and search for Marty music. His tutorials are amazing for metal tunes. I use andy guitar on you tube for less heavy rock music.

Think I know who you’d talking about yeah he breaks every part down I learned a few Bowie stuff (solos) from him ,you tube is a great tool eh lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

superjack
1 hour ago, One five said:

Think I know who you’d talking about yeah he breaks every part down I learned a few Bowie stuff (solos) from him ,you tube is a great tool eh lol.

I know, wish it existed when I originally started guitar in the 80s. I am crap at picking a tune up by ear so I was limited to whatever music books I bought or what someone showed me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, superjack said:

I know, wish it existed when I originally started guitar in the 80s. I am crap at picking a tune up by ear so I was limited to whatever music books I bought or what someone showed me.

I use to sit and read tab hated that  but now I rather YouTube it or go to pro  ultimate guitar  , I’ve got lots of music books that are now gathering dust 

😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, superjack said:

Go onto you tube and search for Marty music. His tutorials are amazing for metal tunes. I use andy guitar on you tube for less heavy rock music.

Check out Jason read YouTube lessons, pretty good for learning stuff fast 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, superjack said:

Go onto you tube and search for Marty music. His tutorials are amazing for metal tunes. I use andy guitar on you tube for less heavy rock music.

 

Andy is superb. Learned Sound of Silence via his videos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Taught him everything he knows. 

 

 

 

He’s not keen on the Marshall stacks is he 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, One five said:

He’s not keen on the Marshall stacks is he 😂

As an ex roadie it still make me laugh how rock and metal fans still get taken in by bands with massive amounts of Marshall cabs. 
They’re fake!! You can get empty ones from Marshall just as set dressing. A single Marshall at anywhere near full volume is painful to listen to so the devastation created by a wall of them would overwhelm the rest of the PA. A lot of bands now will have the main amps and speaker cabs off stage in acoustically isolated rooms so they get a perfect sound with no interference from other instruments when they’re mic’d up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

As an ex roadie it still make me laugh how rock and metal fans still get taken in by bands with massive amounts of Marshall cabs. 
They’re fake!! You can get empty ones from Marshall just as set dressing. A single Marshall at anywhere near full volume is painful to listen to so the devastation created by a wall of them would overwhelm the rest of the PA. A lot of bands now will have the main amps and speaker cabs off stage in acoustically isolated rooms so they get a perfect sound with no interference from other instruments when they’re mic’d up. 

 

Try telling that to Slash. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

As an ex roadie it still make me laugh how rock and metal fans still get taken in by bands with massive amounts of Marshall cabs. 
They’re fake!! You can get empty ones from Marshall just as set dressing. A single Marshall at anywhere near full volume is painful to listen to so the devastation created by a wall of them would overwhelm the rest of the PA. A lot of bands now will have the main amps and speaker cabs off stage in acoustically isolated rooms so they get a perfect sound with no interference from other instruments when they’re mic’d up. 

Yeah I know I was only joking, I’ve got a 100 W valve amp head and it is as loud as shit ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

 

Try telling that to Slash. 

You won’t want to see this then. 

 

3 minutes ago, One five said:

Yeah I know I was only joking, I’ve got a 100 W valve amp head and it is as loud as shit ! 

There’s a very funny video of journalists and guitarists trying a Marshall Plexi at full volume. 

Edited by Tazio
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, One five said:

Yeah I know I was only joking, I’ve got a 100 W valve amp head and it is as loud as shit ! 

 

I think every amp i've ever bought has been far too loud lol

Apparently the Roland Cube amps are good for just pissing about in the house. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...