The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You won’t want to see this then. 

There’s a very funny video of journalists and guitarists trying a Marshall Plexi at full volume. 

At over an hour long, no!

What's it saying?

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

At over an hour long, no!

What's it saying?

You can jump to the bit about his amp set up. All backstage in their own area and effect etc controlled by his guitar tech. 

5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I think every amp i've ever bought has been far too loud lol

Apparently the Roland Cube amps are good for just pissing about in the house. 

I got myself a fender mustang practice amp nice sounds for messy about in the house .

Greedy Jambo

You can jump to the bit about his amp set up. All backstage in their own area and effect etc controlled by his guitar tech. 

What's Slash's opinion on it? Ha. 

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

What's Slash's opinion on it? Ha. 

World famous hugely rich guitarist isn’t allowed his own amp set up as his tech bullies him out of it. 
Quite the story. 

And the Roland Cube Amps are good but get one with the amp modelling on it. 

Edited by Tazio

I’ve went through a few amps and pedals tbh in my time and I still can’t get the sound I want 😂😂

Greedy Jambo
Just now, Tazio said:

World famous hugely rich guitarist isn’t allowed his own amp set up as his tech bullies him out of it. 
Quite the story. 

Haha, what utter bullshit. 

Even his Epiphone signature guitars are done to his own spec (not the rock bottom price ones, granted)

Why would a guy with all that money be told what to do? 

Madness. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Haha, what utter bullshit. 

Even his Epiphone signature guitars are done to his own spec (not the rock bottom price ones, granted)

Why would a guy with all that money be told what to do? 

Madness. 

Two things. 
An easier life. The tech does setting changes etc offstage and he just has to concentrate on playing without worrying about other things. 
You want to sound good. A FOH engineer getting a clean sound to the desk has a much easier life making the band sound good as they get proper action between the instruments. 

You’d be amazed how many players have all that done for them nowadays. Or their onstage pedal board is a MIDI set up doing changes for them through complex set ups that would be too much to switch between songs or even during them. 

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, One five said:

I’ve went through a few amps and pedals tbh in my time and I still can’t get the sound I want 😂😂

This 😂

Greedy Jambo

Two things. 
An easier life. The tech does setting changes etc offstage and he just has to concentrate on playing without worrying about other things. 
You want to sound good. A FOH engineer getting a clean sound to the desk has a much easier life making the band sound good as they get proper action between the instruments. 

You’d be amazed how many players have all that done for them nowadays. Or their onstage pedal board is a MIDI set up doing changes for them through complex set ups that would be too much to switch between songs or even during them. 

Mate, i think you have too high an opinion of your old job and what techs do. They do what they've told, they set up the guitar how the guitarist wants it, they change the strings for him, all the shitty jobs he can't be bothered doing. 

Some serious disrespect on the go here. Slash get's told what do to :rofl::facepalm:

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Mate, i think you have too high an opinion of your old job and what techs do. They do what they've told, they set up the guitar how the guitarist wants it, they change the strings for him, all the shitty jobs he can't be bothered doing. 

Some serious disrespect on the go here. Slash get's told what do to :rofl::facepalm:

You really need to work on your reading of sarcasm. Everything you posted there is what I was saying. Guitarists work with techs they know and trust and come up with the system that’s best for the player between them. Slash has had the same tech for years and that’s because they have a good working relationship and Slash trusts him. 

Greedy Jambo
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You really need to work on your reading of sarcasm. Everything you posted there is what I was saying. Guitarists work with techs they know and trust and come up with the system that’s best for the player between them. Slash has had the same tech for years and that’s because they have a good working relationship and Slash trusts him. 

I didn't spot the sarcasm, i must admit.

I thought we were having a serious discussion about all things music. 

Did anyone else spot the sarcasm, or is he just back tracking? 😂

Great to see this thread come alive again, since I last posted my old drum machine packed it in, I bought an Alesis SR18 to replace it, like anything new it took me some time to figure it out but what a difference 15 years of technology makes, it is very user friendly and sounds excellent! I try to rotate playing my different bass guitars, I have 6 and they are all so different so that is fun but I am so looking forward to playing with my mates again! I imagine it is the same in Scotland as here where the lockdown has killed many gigging bands, some long time players I know have barely played in the last year or so which is sad!

52 minutes ago, gator said:

Great to see this thread come alive again, since I last posted my old drum machine packed it in, I bought an Alesis SR18 to replace it, like anything new it took me some time to figure it out but what a difference 15 years of technology makes, it is very user friendly and sounds excellent! I try to rotate playing my different bass guitars, I have 6 and they are all so different so that is fun but I am so looking forward to playing with my mates again! I imagine it is the same in Scotland as here where the lockdown has killed many gigging bands, some long time players I know have barely played in the last year or so which is sad!

Yeah it’s been difficult for gigging bands here as well mate but hopefully pubs and clubs will soon get the go ahead to let live music back in our life’s. Studios are starting to open from what I here so hopefully I’ll get playing with the band mate again . Drum machines are great but you can’t beat playing live eh even if it’s in a studio. Stick in we will have them rocking soon.

1 hour ago, One five said:

Yeah it’s been difficult for gigging bands here as well mate but hopefully pubs and clubs will soon get the go ahead to let live music back in our life’s. Studios are starting to open from what I here so hopefully I’ll get playing with the band mate again . Drum machines are great but you can’t beat playing live eh even if it’s in a studio. Stick in we will have them rocking soon.

Thanks for the reply, I hope you are still enjoying your playing, I think music has kept me well occupied during this pandemic and we have a ways to go over here before we are even at where the UK is! It has been sad to hear of so many of my friends who were playing out just not being motivated to play, I guess it is different when you are preparing for gigs all the time and practice as a band a couple of times a week then it stops abruptly! The drum machine is a great companion for a bass player in a lockdown but I can't wait for my buddy to come by and play real drums, drink my beer, keep bad time and leave my garage reeking of weed!👍

3 minutes ago, gator said:

Thanks for the reply, I hope you are still enjoying your playing, I think music has kept me well occupied during this pandemic and we have a ways to go over here before we are even at where the UK is! It has been sad to hear of so many of my friends who were playing out just not being motivated to play, I guess it is different when you are preparing for gigs all the time and practice as a band a couple of times a week then it stops abruptly! The drum machine is a great companion for a bass player in a lockdown but I can't wait for my buddy to come by and play real drums, drink my beer, keep bad time and leave my garage reeking of weed!👍

Stoped playing for a while tbh thought of it at first as a rest to learning stuff constantly but after a while started going back to playing along with rather a backing track or drums on my keyboard ( pure cack lol). I could not believe the stuff I had forgotten 🤦‍♂️, we are all back on the chat (band mates) so that’s got me motivated again looking forward to loud music wrong notes and weed they just  go great together 👍

We had our first rehearsal last Thursday since August last year  haven't Gigged since Feb 2020, It all felt a bit strange but we soon got back into it, hoping we can get back out again very soon. ....🤘🤘

Unknown user
34 minutes ago, micole said:

We had our first rehearsal last Thursday since August last year  haven't Gigged since Feb 2020, It all felt a bit strange but we soon got back into it, hoping we can get back out again very soon. ....🤘🤘

👍

3 hours ago, micole said:

That is great news, I'm sure there will be a new appreciation for rehearsing and gigging after the time off! Rock on!

3 hours ago, micole said:

Nice one  👍

• 1 month later...

Hey folks, wonder if anyone can point me in the right way. I’ve recently read some articles saying that you can train yourself to pick tunes up by ear. Does anyone on her have any tips, pointers or even recommend a decent site with great tutorials? Ideally, I want to be able to pick up lead riffs just by listening, and also to have the ability to just jam and improvise.

9 hours ago, superjack said:

Hey folks, wonder if anyone can point me in the right way. I’ve recently read some articles saying that you can train yourself to pick tunes up by ear. Does anyone on her have any tips, pointers or even recommend a decent site with great tutorials? Ideally, I want to be able to pick up lead riffs just by listening, and also to have the ability to just jam and improvise.

Not sure if you can train yourself I would say you can rather have the ear for it or not , I can pick up most simple stuff like the melody , riffs etc but when it comes to tricky solos it's faster to read the tab or watch a lesson on YouTube rather than sit and listen over and over again. I got the ultimate guitar pro app it's a very handy tool.

Unknown user
10 hours ago, superjack said:

15 minutes ago, One five said:

Not sure if you can train yourself I would say you can rather have the ear for it or not , I can pick up most simple stuff like the melody , riffs etc but when it comes to tricky solos it's faster to read the tab or watch a lesson on YouTube rather than sit and listen over and over again. I got the ultimate guitar pro app it's a very handy tool.

My hands don't work as well as they used to so I don't play much any more, but absolutely you can train yourself to pick up tunes by ear, it just takes practice, concentration and persistence. You start slowly and get better as your brain learns the new language.

Of course, as 1-5 says, it's often quicker and easier to use readily available tabs or videos, these weren't options we had available when I was learning, but yes, you can do it, and it's a valuable skill for when you're jamming with new people, having to learn a rare song quickly etc

49 minutes ago, One five said:

Yip. YouTube can be helpful.

Learning Johnny Marr guitar riffs is useless unless you can see what the hell he’s doing. Even then it’s very difficult. Took me ages to learn The Headmaster Ritual but great when you do !

There a YouTube channel by a guy called Rick Beato that does ear training courses. Though my feeling is it’s something you can or can’t do. 

Just now, Tazio said:

There a YouTube channel by a guy called Rick Beato that does ear training courses. Though my feeling is it’s something you can or can’t do. 

Yip. It’s not a quick process. You need to have the knack of playing or it’s very difficult. I can rattle off a simple thing on the piano but the coordination is perplexing ! 
As a guitar player, you’d think you would be able to do it but it’s a mystery to me. Similarly drums. Witchcraft ! Don’t know how they do it.

46 minutes ago, Smithee said:

My hands don't work as well as they used to so I don't play much any more, but absolutely you can train yourself to pick up tunes by ear, it just takes practice, concentration and persistence. You start slowly and get better as your brain learns the new language.

Of course, as 1-5 says, it's often quicker and easier to use readily available tabs or videos, these weren't options we had available when I was learning, but yes, you can do it, and it's a valuable skill for when you're jamming with new people, having to learn a rare song quickly etc

Yeah fair enough I suppose I’ve trained to hear my brain to hear the simple melody etc but to pick up the fast lead runs the great players do I would be there for ages trying to work out note for note properly, jamming of the cuff I usually just do the notes in the scale of the chord that’s in the song and if we decide to do it in the playlist I’ll learn it proper , but yeah we all do things our own way 👍

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Yip. It’s not a quick process. You need to have the knack of playing or it’s very difficult. I can rattle off a simple thing on the piano but the coordination is perplexing ! 
As a guitar player, you’d think you would be able to do it but it’s a mystery to me. Similarly drums. Witchcraft ! Don’t know how they do it.

I get what you're saying. I can usually work out simple melodies on a keyboard, then translate to guitar or harmonica. Looks like I just need to keep practicing and maybe pick it up. I'll try some of the you tube channels to see if that increases my learning process. Need to work on my scales more as well. I know moth the minor and major pentatonic scales but never really practice them enough, probably just answered my question with that last sentence.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Learning Johnny Marr guitar riffs is useless unless you can see what the hell he’s doing. Even then it’s very difficult. Took me ages to learn The Headmaster Ritual but great when you do !

Yeah nothing better than nailing one of your favourite song’s, tbh most of the fast screaming leads I find them just impossible to get it without cutting a few corners and just usually simplifying the 100 miles an hour licks and concentrate on the main parts everyone would recognise.

7 minutes ago, superjack said:

I get what you're saying. I can usually work out simple melodies on a keyboard, then translate to guitar or harmonica. Looks like I just need to keep practicing and maybe pick it up. I'll try some of the you tube channels to see if that increases my learning process. Need to work on my scales more as well. I know moth the minor and major pentatonic scales but never really practice them enough, probably just answered my question with that last sentence.

I remember when my daughter was at the early grades of piano and had to endlessly practice her scales. 
It did pay of course when she was let loose on playing anything that came to mind.

I think, subconsciously, the whole house knew them off by heart. 😂

A whole different discipline of course. I self taught myself guitar and can’t read a note of music. 🥴

4 minutes ago, One five said:

Yeah nothing better than nailing one of your favourite song’s, tbh most of the fast screaming leads I find them just impossible to get it without cutting a few corners and just usually simplifying the 100 miles an hour licks and concentrate on the main parts everyone would recognise.

👍

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Boab said:

I was a bassist for years, desperately trying to work out exactly what Les Claypool from Primus was up to. YouTube 4 life!

30 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I was a bassist for years, desperately trying to work out exactly what Les Claypool from Primus was up to. YouTube 4 life!

Likewise. I’m still playing bass. Not like that guy however. I’m more an Andy Rourke guy. Wish I was as good as him mind !

davemclaren

I’ve never seen the point of trying to learn a solo note for note. Better just to do your own solo that’s in the spirit of the song I reckon, chucking in the odd familiar phrase. Maybe I’m just lazy though. 😄

Unknown user
46 minutes ago, Boab said:

Likewise. I’m still playing bass. Not like that guy however. I’m more an Andy Rourke guy. Wish I was as good as him mind !

It was a proud day in the smithee house when I first played groundhogs Day live, I won't lie

Just now, Smithee said:

It was a proud day in the smithee house when I first played groundhogs Day live, I won't lie

👍

18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’ve never seen the point of trying to learn a solo note for note. Better just to do your own solo that’s in the spirit of the song I reckon, chucking in the odd familiar phrase. Maybe I’m just lazy though. 😄

No your not lazy mate you are correct I always say “do it our way” folks unless they are a music geek are just happy to hear the song they rather can relate to or enjoy , most are not interested in the solo unless it’s a big part of the song ie purple rain, all right now etc I have seen people getting bored when they listen to songs like comfortably numb(brilliant song like)  when the guitarist goes on and on , make it simple and quick most of the audience will appreciate that better.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

👍

Greedy Jambo

If you can whistle to a tune, you can play guitar to a tune. 

If you can't whistle, then, you're screwed.

On 24/06/2021 at 09:51, Boab said:

Being a drummer for over 50 years it becomes second nature bit like riding a bike 😁. The whole process is, like guitar playing, keep it simple do not try and over complicate things, learn the basics first all the fancy stuff will follow later.  

Swahili Jambo

Got a nice wee Fender acoustic/electric which I can plug into an amp if in the mood.  Until a ****ing 6/4 pished mate fell on it and now a nasty superficial crack on it below the fret board.  It still plays nice but worried about the crack.  Not sure what to do tbh.  I'm thinking super glue!!

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, Swahili Jambo said:

Got a nice wee Fender acoustic/electric which I can plug into an amp if in the mood.  Until a ****ing 6/4 pished mate fell on it and now a nasty superficial crack on it below the fret board.  It still plays nice but worried about the crack.  Not sure what to do tbh.  I'm thinking super glue!!

Get a luthier to fix it properly. 

1 hour ago, Swahili Jambo said:

Yeah Dave is correct mate get it fixed by a professional.

• 2 weeks later...
Greedy Jambo

This might sound obvious to some people, but if you've got a guitar that sounds a bit crap and doesn't stay in tune all that well, the problem might be as simple as changing the strings. 

I've just put a set of D'Addario XL 10/46 on a £150 guitar and it's made the world of difference. 

33 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

This might sound obvious to some people, but if you've got a guitar that sounds a bit crap and doesn't stay in tune all that well, the problem might be as simple as changing the strings. 

I've just put a set of D'Addario XL 10/46 on a £150 guitar and it's made the world of difference. 

And always get rid of the strings supplied on a new guitar unless it’s an expensive one as they’re normally rubbish. 

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Yeah good quality strings can certainly make a difference mate 👍

Would like to know anyone’s thoughts on this …,, I’ve always used a Marshall valve amp for any live gigs and probs will never go passed them but lately Ive been trying these modelling amps with built in effects and I feel they are pretty impressive. I have a small 5w practice to mess around in the house but thinking of getting a secondhand 30/40w for when the studios open up properly as valve amps are heavy ****s to humph around , I’ve plugged into the ones in the studios but always thought they where just so so unless you added an overdrive/screamer to there sound.  thoughts ?

davemclaren
9 hours ago, One five said:

Would like to know anyone’s thoughts on this …,, I’ve always used a Marshall valve amp for any live gigs and probs will never go passed them but lately Ive been trying these modelling amps with built in effects and I feel they are pretty impressive. I have a small 5w practice to mess around in the house but thinking of getting a secondhand 30/40w for when the studios open up properly as valve amps are heavy ****s to humph around , I’ve plugged into the ones in the studios but always thought they where just so so unless you added an overdrive/screamer to there sound.  thoughts ?

I use a Boss Katana amp now. I still have a Marshall DSL40C but It’s too heavy to cart around at my age. 🙁