At What Point Did You Think Our Season Was Doomed?

King Of The Cat Cafe

9 hours ago, indianajones said:

When we didn't sack Levein after the Scottish cup final last season.

Was never going to end well.

That's where I'm at. Budge's persistence with Levein was never going to end well. Anyone else would have launched him ages ago, and she's supposed to be an astute business woman.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jack D and coke

• Fozzyonthefence

• Famous 1874

• East Lothian Jambo

As Kilmarnock's third goal went in a few weeks ago I just thought that we've done what was needed, new manager, players etc. We were playing good football (at times), we were scoring goals again. We'd rolled the dice and were still getting beat. It just hadn't worked and we were going to really struggle to get out of the mess we were in.

9 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Yes. I agree.

Specifically Naismith getting injured. That moment is the exact moment Hearts have never recovered from. 

It was something like 8 minutes into the match, if I remember correctly. Disaster. We were flying until that moment. 

Gordon Ramsay

After the SC final last year and the realisation that the most incompetent man to ever step foot inside of Tynecastle was staying on.

I mind folk on here talking up our performance against Dundee Utd in the first group game of the league cup. I could not see it as it just felt like more of the same from last season.

When we fell behind Stenhousemuir before scrambling a win I knew we were in for a shocker.

I knew the season was doomed as soon as I knew we weren't changing manager in the summer. This was the worst decision an owner has made at our club in a long while. 

And here we are....

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I still don't think it's doomed as mathematically we can save our selves without relying on others (I appreciate recent form doesn't make that the likeliest option but still). 

We won’t be playing any more games this season though!  So, now we’re relying on a decision from the SPFL.  

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We won’t be playing any more games this season though!  So, now we’re relying on a decision from the SPFL.  

You might be correct but you can't say that definitively at this point. 

Fozzyonthefence

I always think back to Naismith going off after 8 minutes at Murrayfield.

However, as bad as we have been for 18 months, it looks like if we’d won just one ****ing game last Wednesday, we’d already be safe from relegation.  Lots of fans were saying how important it was to get off the bottom as quickly as possible since the league could stop at any time, yet the players go out without a care in the world.  Disgusting!

Fozzyonthefence
25 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

You might be correct but you can't say that definitively at this point. 

I think I can.  And Boris will.

Part of the problem is there's not really been any awful results on paper. Outside of the Old Firm, we've only lost two matches by more than one goal all season (3-0 away to Kilmarnock in November and 0-2 at home to Hibs on Boxing Day).

Good cup runs, including beating Motherwell, Aberdeen and Rangers has broken up the league form a bit too so it's never seemed like that long since a win, even though very few of those came in the league.

Add in the injuries, where one saviour or another was just a week or two away from returning, which meant hope was always on the horizon for some.

I think without some of those factors we'd have seen much further reaching changes earlier and wouldn't be where we are now.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I always think back to Naismith going off after 8 minutes at Murrayfield.

However, as bad as we have been for 18 months, it looks like if we’d won just one ****ing game last Wednesday, we’d already be safe from relegation.  Lots of fans were saying how important it was to get off the bottom as quickly as possible since the league could stop at any time, yet the players go out without a care in the world.  Disgusting!

Imagine that is our last game and we end up going down because of that? I know it’s about the season as a whole but that was the last effort that seals the fate...

None of them should ever be forgiven if that happens. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
12 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

It is very easy to say that defeat on Wednesday was the lowest of the low, but our spiral into what the MSM delightfully call "the drop zone" started long before that.

I started to fret when we surrendered a lead at Aberdeen.   I wonder was there a single turning point?

5-0 Livingston last season. Was obvious then that Levein was dragging us into a world of shit.

From the high of Easter Road to watching Hamilton best Rangers at Ibrox. I’d been fairly bullish that we’d get out this mess but felt like it was written in the stars we’d go down. We just don’t seem to carry any luck. Hamilton’s goal at tynie, miles offside, missed. McNulty stamp missed. St Mirren handball missed. Boyce, Naismith chances at the end of Motherwell. Doige scoring with scuffs, deflections, goals off the back of his head, just shows the difference these things can make when you have the luck. Watching Hamilton score and win at Ibrox, I knew we were down. 

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

From the high of Easter Road to watching Hamilton best Rangers at Ibrox. I’d been fairly bullish that we’d get out this mess but felt like it was written in the stars we’d go down. We just don’t seem to carry any luck. Hamilton’s goal at tynie, miles offside, missed. McNulty stamp missed. St Mirren handball missed. Boyce, Naismith chances at the end of Motherwell. Doige scoring with scuffs, deflections, goals off the back of his head, just shows the difference these things can make when you have the luck. Watching Hamilton score and win at Ibrox, I knew we were down. 

Agree with nearly all of that, I was wondering if that was it when Hamilton won at Ibrox too.  You need to watch their goal at Tynie again though - it really wasn’t miles offside at all (possibly a baw hair, not sure), presumably you’re going on how it looked at the game?

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Imagine that is our last game and we end up going down because of that? I know it’s about the season as a whole but that was the last effort that seals the fate...

Exactly!  St Mirren went out with the attitude that it could be the last game and it was must win.  Fought and scrapped for everything, we didn’t.  Ultimately lost to a hand ball though, although we’d still be bottom with a draw.

8 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Agree with nearly all of that, I was wondering if that was it when Hamilton won at Ibrox too.  You need to watch their goal at Tynie again though - it really wasn’t miles offside at all (possibly a baw hair, not sure), presumably you’re going on how it looked at the game?

It was offside and I like hyperbole haha. 

When we got humped 0-0 at home to Ross County. Everyone was optimistic because we had Whelan, Naismith and others back and it seemed we had almost a full strength team for the first time in ages. We were shitter than ever.

In retrospect when Mrs Budge did not sack Levein immediately after the Cup Final.   A whole summer was wasted on poor recruitment to fit a model that wasn't going to work.

Bunny Munro

The signs were there from the start of the season. The preseason was a disgrace.

I want us to play 4-4-2 with Clare in the 'Colin Cameron' role.

I'm happy with the goalkeeping situation.

We only need 4-5 players.

All undone within weeks of the season starting.

It's mental to think we hadn't played 3-5-2 in any of our friendlies or league cup games then start it in our first game away to Aberdeen. It's mental how little game time Dikimona was given during preseason/league cup groups then thrown on in Aberdeen. How much game time did MacDonald and Zanatta get in the league cup only for both to be out the door weeks later.

Edited by Bunny Munro

When Levein wasn’t emptied in the summer. Letting him take pre-season and signing players showed everyone that Ann Budge was incapable of sacking Levein & his Bootroom. Even now he’s still there after all the damage he has done to our club.

The truth is we were in trouble before the first game of the season.

Scottie Wanshot.

When Stendel came in and brought in highprees football and the players haven't the skill to play it, more or less playing without a defence, and playing a goal keeper who couldn't catch a cold.

After the Motherwell defeat at home under Levein I witnessed one of the worst performances from a Centerhalf I've ever seen and knew that we were in trouble if we continued to play Halkett everyweek. 

Was apprehensive about things from the Dundee United game. It was after being beat by Hamilton and St Johnstone a second time that I truly begun to believe the worst case scenario was inevitable 

Pre season was an absolute shambles , unfit, unorganised, unmotivated. The opposite of what preseason is for. Sackable offence on its own

Edited by jambopilms

been here before
15 hours ago, stan said:

Going 3 down to Killie after the break when we knew that was the last chance to turn the corner and finish the season well. 

Probably the first 'must win' game and one I actually expected us to do well in.

That, for me, was the moment of realisation that we weren't capable of competing in the bottom six.

15 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think when we got beat 3-0 by Kilmarnock it showed we lacked Character. Without character in Scottish football you are done for.

As for this season then this is the game I cameon to post about. The manner of the goals going in so quickly and the utter inability of the players to raise their game was nailed firmly to the mast that afternoon.

The LC semi v Sellick last year also played its part although I reckon the slippery slope was well advanced before then. As for Naismiths injury in that game then absolutely it played a part although I think the manner in which he finally went off played a part. 

If he'd went off and stayed off then fair enough, get on with it an accept it but to come back on again before limping off, not to be seen again just seemed to suck the morale for the rest if that season.

SomethingAboutObua

The Ross County draw at the start of the season was when I became really opposed to Levein staying, 0-0, County were unbelievably unlucky not to score about 4 against us, I think they missed a sitter and hit the wrong side of the post twice. 

Drawing 2-2 with Hamilton and then losing to Motherwell at home and not sacking him I realised we were going to have an awful season.

Not finding a manager for 5 matches I realised we are being run badly on the football side of things by people who don't know what they need to do for a successful team (no complaints as yet about the business side)

Drawing with Accies again, we're going for 10th

Losing to St Mirren, no Ikpeazu again but playing an injured Boyce, honestly don't know what'll happen. (Ikpeazu isn't our saviour, just saying he'd work better against Hamilton than a ****ing striker with a back injury.

Also playing Pereira again and again has ****ed us* 

Edited by SomethingAboutObua

jamboinglasgow

This season, I didn't feel relegation was a possibility until we lost to Hamilton away. I thought before then we will click and get out of it but to me it demonstrated players have no fight in them. Since then every game against a bottom six side has been players going into it with no desire to win, (though usually having to fight back after going at least a goal down.)

Nelly Terraces

I remember being in The Pear Tree beer garden on a sunny day during the festival & watched 5 minutes of the home game v Ross County on my IPTV App. Stuck headphones to get an idea of the atmos & there was virtually silence coming over on audio in the ground, they cut to a crowd shot & folk sitting there bored senseless, arms crossed, one guy yawning & checking his watch, others on their mobiles. The action was non existent.

There I was having a great time with a beer in the sun & thought to myself 'thank **** I don't waste my time/money with that shite now'. Said to my good lady, I know this sounds a bit extreme, but I honestly think Hearts could be in a lot of bother this season'. Did I honestly think they'd go down - NO, but I was 100% this season would be nothing short of utterly mind numbing & unsuccessful garbage.

The Apprentice

The League cup games are usually a pretty good indicator of how the Team is shaping up ahead of the new season. Yes it’s still early but you’re paired up against so called ‘lesser’ sides in the group stages. Those performances against Stenhousemuir and East Fife showed that there was little chance of any improvement or learning of mistakes from

last season. 

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
21 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

It is very easy to say that defeat on Wednesday was the lowest of the low, but our spiral into what the MSM delightfully call "the drop zone" started long before that.

I started to fret when we surrendered a lead at Aberdeen.   I wonder was there a single turning point?

This season for me was Killie 3-2 and Hamilton 2-2. 

We had beaten Rangers 2-1 in the league and we all thought we turned a corner. We then drew 3-3 with St Johnstone after being in such a good position at 2-1. 3-3 wouldn’t have been bad if we had kicked on against Killie and Hamilton. I’m sure at this stage we were 5 points behind 7th placed Killie. One league win since then against Hibs. 

It all kinda sunk in at Killie/Hamilton for me. 

I've known and felt this was coming for 3 years. Been to one game all season and until the Queen, Levein and the hippy prick are away I will not go back.

I blame the Queen Ann brigade. If we, as fans took to the streets sooner she would have been forced to take action some time ago.

But no, all she ever saw was the nauseating love in and thought all was rosey. Shame on evwey last ****ing one of you.

We were doomed seasons ago under Cathro, when at full time, the pitch at Pittodrie resembled World Cup '78 there was so many pieces of paper with tactics on them strewn across it. At that point I remember thinking WTAF is happening, who is in charge here?

been here before
7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I've known and felt this was coming for 3 years. Been to one game all season and until the Queen, Levein and the hippy prick are away I will not go back.

I blame the Queen Ann brigade. If we, as fans took to the streets sooner she would have been forced to take action some time ago.

But no, all she ever saw was the nauseating love in and thought all was rosey. Shame on evwey last ****ing one of you.

One prick leaves and one prick returns.

You tell them Princess.

9 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Mostly in agreement. I’d possibly exempt Bobby (for Wednesday, he’s been hopeless at other times), Smith, Hickey and Moore. Possibly harsh on Washington, too in terms of effort and ground covered. The rest of the team on Wednesday were an absolute embarrassment.

Edited by Shaggy2

Having Levein at the club made sure no other manager would come in as he is poison. Then he helped himself to the job and we've been a disaster since then. The fluke cup run keep him in the job longer when we really needed shot of him quicker, but then, we thought getting him out the door was impossible. We were right.

It still bothers me than we gave him the keys to the castle and allowed him to reign. A seriously dated manager who'd won nothing his entire career and played football which would give you cataracts, and we built the club around him.

:hartley:

Sickening.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Jee said:

Having Levein at the club made sure no other manager would come in as he is poison. Then he helped himself to the job and we've been a disaster since then. The fluke cup run keep him in the job longer when we really needed shot of him quicker, but then, we thought getting him out the door was impossible. We were right.

It still bothers me than we gave him the keys to the castle and allowed him to reign. A seriously dated manager who'd won nothing his entire career and played football which would give you cataracts, and we built the club around him.

:hartley:

Sickening.

The ones that tell you it’s not a problem him still mooching about too. 
Just incredible to be quite honest. What a farce. 

Bazzas right boot

The 2-3 v Motherwell was an alarm for me. 

The 2-2 Hamilton was when the fear really kicked in. 

4 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

I remember being in The Pear Tree beer garden on a sunny day during the festival & watched 5 minutes of the home game v Ross County on my IPTV App. Stuck headphones to get an idea of the atmos & there was virtually silence coming over on audio in the ground, they cut to a crowd shot & folk sitting there bored senseless, arms crossed, one guy yawning & checking his watch, others on their mobiles. The action was non existent.

There I was having a great time with a beer in the sun & thought to myself 'thank **** I don't waste my time/money with that shite now'. Said to my good lady, I know this sounds a bit extreme, but I honestly think Hearts could be in a lot of bother this season'. Did I honestly think they'd go down - NO, but I was 100% this season would be nothing short of utterly mind numbing & unsuccessful garbage.

I think this was the game I left at full time  and it occurred to me I hadn’t stood up, clapped or cheered the whole game. Just mind numbingly dull

The Internet

That home Ross County game at the start of the season was a proper downer. 0-0 just wasn't a reflection of the game at all :lol: If county had strolled out of there ith a 0-5 win it would've been entirely justified. Watching us, with on paper a really strong team, just get ripped apart multiple times by Ross County was eye opening. One of the many many games that should've been Levein's last. 

annushorribilis III
12 hours ago, The Merse said:

I mind folk on here talking up our performance against Dundee Utd in the first group game of the league cup. I could not see it as it just felt like more of the same from last season.

When we fell behind Stenhousemuir before scrambling a win I knew we were in for a shocker.

All of this.

The LC games were shockers and still it was excused - against the weakest opposition we would face all season, we were absolutely awful. But injuries.....

Shortly after AB announces a review of "the football department"  & calls out CL publicly for being "disorganised" and I'm thinking of yet another season down the crapper.