At What Point Did You Think Our Season Was Doomed?

King Of The Cat Cafe

King Of The Cat Cafe

It is very easy to say that defeat on Wednesday was the lowest of the low, but our spiral into what the MSM delightfully call "the drop zone" started long before that.

I started to fret when we surrendered a lead at Aberdeen.   I wonder was there a single turning point?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jack D and coke

• Fozzyonthefence

• Famous 1874

• East Lothian Jambo

When I watched us lose at Arbroath in a pre season friendly. I honestly turned to my daughter and said, I hope this isn’t the sign of things to come. Glenavon away was the same. We were rank that day and rank all season. 2-1 up at  Aberdeen and we imploded. The writing was on the wall back then. This is worse than the 80-81 season. We had an excuse back then... we don’t now

jack D and coke

The turning point for the club seems to have been the LC semi against Celtic at Murrayfield. It’s been a spiral of shite since then. Probably making the SC final has been another thing that’s dragged it out much longer than it should’ve. Levein shouldve been dismissed straight after the livvy debacle but the cup run kept him in a job after that. We’ve been tragic for 2 years. 
This season though I’ve been concerned since it seemed to take an age to get Stendel in. I hoped it might go better but I believe the man walked into an utter shitshow and had none of his own men around either. 
It’s been a real cluster**** for two years for me. 

His name is
3 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

When I watched us lose at Arbroath in a pre season friendly. I honestly turned to my daughter and said, I hope this isn’t the sign of things to come. Glenavon away was the same. We were rank that day and rank all season. 2-1 up at  Aberdeen and we imploded. The writing was on the wall back then. This is worse than the 80-81 season. We had an excuse back then... we don’t now

Im hindsight, the performance at Glenavon, even in a pre season friendly, should have set more alarm bells ringing. 

Im pretty sure everyone was steaming tho

Edited by His name is

3 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

It is very easy to say that defeat on Wednesday was the lowest of the low, but our spiral into what the MSM delightfully call "the drop zone" started long before that.

I started to fret when we surrendered a lead at Aberdeen.   I wonder was there a single turning point?

For me, I first thought it was way worse than a blip after the (first) home defeat to Kilmarnock in October. 

Confirmed in the home loss against St Johnstone. Every new manager gets a bounce from the squad....don't they?

Since then, it's been hope rather than expectation. Still hoping...

Going 3 down to Killie after the break when we knew that was the last chance to turn the corner and finish the season well. 

Probably the first 'must win' game and one I actually expected us to do well in.

That, for me, was the moment of realisation that we weren't capable of competing in the bottom six.

Diadora Van Basten

I think when we got beat 3-0 by Kilmarnock it showed we lacked Character. Without character in Scottish football you are done for.

We lost Jon McLaughlin (that's hard to spell).  Then Peter Haring.  Then that exposed our weaknesses again.  Couldn't get proper replacements.  I would add Berra and Souttar getting injuries and not recovering properly didn't help.  

We've struggled since Haring I'd say overall he was ace in the middle and at the back!

16 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The turning point for the club seems to have been the LC semi against Celtic at Murrayfield. It’s been a spiral of shite since then. Probably making the SC final has been another thing that’s dragged it out much longer than it should’ve. Levein shouldve been dismissed straight after the livvy debacle but the cup run kept him in a job after that. We’ve been tragic for 2 years. 
This season though I’ve been concerned since it seemed to take an age to get Stendel in. I hoped it might go better but I believe the man walked into an utter shitshow and had none of his own men around either. 

To be even more precise it was the moment Naismith got injured in the LC semi.

This season I had concerns after the game against Stenny that things weren’t going to improve. I didn’t expect it to be quite so bad though. 
Not punting Levein back upstairs after the cup final was the culmination of many abysmal on field decisions by Budge. 

22 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Two days after the cup final of 2019 when it became apparent HE was staying on

This. Sadly.

Had a feeling we'd struggle this season, though probably 8th or so, nowhere near as bad as it has been.

😐

East Lothian Jambo
32 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I would concur with this assessment 

Levein should never have been appointed manager for a second spell 

Famous 1874

I think as a club we spiralled hugely after Neilson left, aka since Levein got more control. In terms of this season, warning signs were there after the first couple of home games against Hamilton and Ross County, both who should have beaten us. It’s hard to say when we were doomed as we’ve been shite all season bar a handful of results (Rangers x2, Hibs x2 and Motherwell away, even in the 5-2 against St Mirren we were all over the shop). 

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Yes. I agree.

Specifically Naismith getting injured. That moment is the exact moment Hearts have never recovered from. 

And bringing on Danny Amankwaa :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

I would concur with this assessment 

Levein should never have been appointed manager for a second spell 

On reflection an unbelievable mistake. 

2 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

I think as a club we spiralled hugely after Neilson left, aka since Levein got more control. In terms of this season, warning signs were there after the first couple of home games against Hamilton and Ross County, both who should have beaten us. It’s hard to say when we were doomed as we’ve been shite all season bar a handful of results (Rangers x2, Hibs x2 and Motherwell away, even in the 5-2 against St Mirren we were all over the shop). 

Perhaps the 1-3 Aberdeen game is the real turning point. Something changed that day. 

18 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

To be even more precise it was the moment Naismith got injured in the LC semi.

This season I had concerns after the game against Stenny that things weren’t going to improve. I didn’t expect it to be quite so bad though. 
Not punting Levein back upstairs after the cup final was the culmination of many abysmal on field decisions by Budge. 

Game against Stenhousemuir definitely. A few of the new boys got a run out and we had to put Halkett up top to beat them.

Famous 1874
2 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Game against Stenhousemuir definitely. A few of the new boys got a run out and we had to put Halkett up top to beat them.

Fs I forgot about the BetFred cup group stage. Beating Dundee United on pens, scraping past Stenhousemuir, failing to hammer Cowdenbeath and losing on pens to East Fife. 

coatbridgejambo
47 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

I thought we'd get out this mess and thought the latest game v Hamilton would be the turning point 

But after 15 minutes I realised were f*****d 

even though we came back in that one with some ref help

East Lothian Jambo
3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

When we didn't sack Levein after the Scottish cup final last season.

Was never going to end well.

Then allowing him to bring back Walker. Lazy recruitment which has cost us dearly 

11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

And bringing on Danny Amankwaa :facepalm:

On reflection an unbelievable mistake. 

Perhaps the 1-3 Aberdeen game is the real turning point. Something changed that day. 

Danny Amankwaa was a decent player.  You have to remember he was at the club with the previous coaching.  Obviously he needed better mentoring which the clowns (coaches) couldn't manage.

8 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Fs I forgot about the BetFred cup group stage. Beating Dundee United on pens, scraping past Stenhousemuir, failing to hammer Cowdenbeath and losing on pens to East Fife. 

Was always looking like it was going to be a succesful season a!? 

Although to be fair, if we had/do pump the scum at Hampden it may well be.

Famous 1874
Just now, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Was always looking like it was going to be a succesful season a!? 

Although to be fair, if we had/do pump the scum at Hampden it may well be.

Yep been a disastrous 18 or so months bar a few games here and there unfortunately. 

Do enjoy pumping the vermin, especially at Hampden but can’t see the game currently going ahead.   

Werner Herzog

Labouring to a 2-1 victory over Stenhousemuir was the point I felt we were in for a poor season.

However, losing  2-1 to Hamilton in December was the point I felt we were in serious danger of getting relegated.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Two days after the cup final of 2019 when it became apparent HE was staying on

This!

indianajones
18 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Then allowing him to bring back Walker. Lazy recruitment which has cost us dearly 

Still seething about both. 

Walker returning was like being stabbed.

Never thought it was doomed but well before the turn of the year I felt we’d be in a battle to stay up right into the split fixtures. 

Looking like it.  

3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Season Doomed.... potential cup final and eight games to play 

are you serious?

8 league games to play.....hopefully... and we've won 4 of the last 30 odd. Nah, you're right, it's all rosey for us... 

East Lothian Jambo
2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Still seething about both. 

Walker returning was like being stabbed.

Ridiculous signing. Empty shirt 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

It was like the management shit themselves when that happened.  Levein’s never been an overly attack minded manager as it is but that day we went further more into our shells. 

That’s the difference for me. Stendel would face adversity straight on and believe he’d find a way and fight to stay positive.  

Edited by Debut 4

LarrysRightFoot

The home defeat to Kilmarnock. That just completed deflated me. We really have been a shambles for going a year and half though.

The White Cockade

Last 18 months have been a shambles but didn’t think we’d go down until losing in Paisley last Wednesday 

1 hour ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

After a ropey opening 15 at Pittodrie I though we were not bad.  We were then very good for 15-20 minutes when Naismith came on and if you’d told me right after Jamie Walker put us ahead that we’d be where we are I’d have said you were nuts. Hickey and Dikamona gifted them that game. 

Shooter McGavin

When it was clear Levein was staying on after the cup final, I was dreading the new season to be honest.

But I 100% did not think it would lead to us being the situation we are in right now. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

When Levein failed to do the best thing for the club by stepping down after the cup final. 

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

cant agree more. 100% bang on the money here. 100%

a ridiculously easy cup draw saw that imposter given more time and unfortunately we played well in the final (I say unfortunately because it gave Budge an excuse to keep that charlatan on). Could greet thinking about it all. Stendel seems to be a huge mistake. I so want him to be the man but his record is woeful

Edited by 1971fozzy

The fact that Levein and the hippy still stink out the joint sums us up. I have no doubt in my mind that if it did not get to the stage where even the Queen Ann brigade were starting to turn then Levein and that long haired prick would still be in the dugout.

Selling Dave Mackay and sacking Tommy Walker.

That's the mood I'm in.  Gifting Willie Hamilton and Alan Gordon to hibs didn't help either.

A_A wehatethehibs

Knew it would be bad Summer 2020 when it became clear Levein was continuing at the club, knew we were at risk of relegation in October-November after a round of fixtures where we had been dominated by the likes of Ross County - took pelters for saying it on kickback at that time, then the penny steadily started dropping for everyone.

Disaster at Leicester, disaster at Scotland, disaster at Hearts - Craig Levein is the real fraud, a career wage thief who has stolen and is continuing to steal money out of Hearts fans pockets. I can’t describe how unacceptable it is that Ann has kept him and Macphee around, those actions have left her legacy as chairwoman in tatters. Decisive action was needed on Levein a year ago, a ruthless leader would have axed him, Budge failed to act and now we are a leaderless club.

Sure, folk are going to be angry that Stendell has not worked out, but let’s be honest it was like putting a new captain on the Titanic after the iceberg had struck. This was 5 years of Leveins work, hundreds of players signed over that time. 

Seymour M Hersh

I still don't think it's doomed as mathematically we can save our selves without relying on others (I appreciate recent form doesn't make that the likeliest option but still). 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Knew it would be bad Summer 2020 when it became clear Levein was continuing at the club, knew we were at risk of relegation in October-November after a round of fixtures where we had been dominated by the likes of Ross County - took pelters for saying it on kickback at that time, then the penny steadily started dropping for everyone.

Disaster at Leicester, disaster at Scotland, disaster at Hearts - Craig Levein is the real fraud, a career wage thief who has stolen and is continuing to steal money out of Hearts fans pockets. I can’t describe how unacceptable it is that Ann has kept him and Macphee around, those actions have left her legacy as chairwoman in tatters. Decisive action was needed on Levein a year ago, a ruthless leader would have axed him, Budge failed to act and now we are a leaderless club.

Sure, folk are going to be angry that Stendell has not worked out, but let’s be honest it was like putting a new captain on the Titanic after the iceberg had struck. This was 5 years of Leveins work, hundreds of players signed over that time. 

Truth bullets there man. 
I shake my head every day that he’s still around. Leeching every single day off this club that he has ran into the ****ing ground and back into the championship. 
If it was hibs we’d be pissing ourselves. 

Edited by jack D and coke