Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Tambo_The_Jambo
1 hour ago, graygo said:

This will become a common post on this page in time imo, some will happily accept a voucher.

Ryanair as an example are working with 20% admin staff and are being inundated with refund requests, up to 10,000 a day/week (not sure which) instead of around 400.

I've changed my Jet2 holiday to next May and will probably accept a voucher from Ryanair for my Poland flights in August although I did pay for that on credit card so might go down that route.

Yep one way or another I’m sure you will get sorted bud. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• Samuel Camazzola

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

KLM refused to give me a cash refund when I requested one, only to change the dates on the flight or a travel voucher. I rejected both as I’m entitled to a cash refund by UK law. 

Today they’ve emailed me a travel voucher for the cost of my flights, despite the fact I’ve not requested or accepted one. 

They seem to be trying every underhanded thing they can to con customers into letting the airline hold on to our cash. At some point the government will need to step in, but no idea when this might be. 

A Boy Named Crow
12 hours ago, The Fonz said:

KLM refused to give me a cash refund when I requested one, only to change the dates on the flight or a travel voucher. I rejected both as I’m entitled to a cash refund by UK law. 

Today they’ve emailed me a travel voucher for the cost of my flights, despite the fact I’ve not requested or accepted one. 

They seem to be trying every underhanded thing they can to con customers into letting the airline hold on to our cash. At some point the government will need to step in, but no idea when this might be. 

My suspicion is they won't. We had a holiday cancelled over Easter due to the virus,  no cash refund,  just credit to use later.   

Forcing the airlines / travel companies to refund cash they don't have will only hasten their demise. The government will probably take the pragmatic  view and look the other way with regards to trading standards in order to protect jobs. 

It's not right by the letter of the law,  but I can understand why it's needed. 

23 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Muddying the waters is a deliberate strategy.

My original 6 digit booking Ref No was good enough for all comms previously. The email sent prior to the one I received today contained the voucher with a lengthy OTT 18 digit number, this will create mayhem when asked to enter. The same email did not have a link to activate the voucher (voucherlimboland) but had a click here button for refund which took you on the inevitable road to nowhere.

Today's email only has a link to accept the voucher, no link for refund.

In the past when Ryanair have requested payment for any additional extras, their instructions have been crystal, leaving no

doubt about when, how much and by what means. In contrast, the comms Ryanair is currently sending out looks amateurish and definitely confusing. Survival tactics?  

Correct! Even their email with the voucher instead of the previously requested cash refund didn't have a subject so probably hoping it ends up in folks spam folder to further delay claims.

Only way i've heard of to actually join the queue for a cash refund from Ryanair is via private message on twitter 

31 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

My suspicion is they won't. We had a holiday cancelled over Easter due to the virus,  no cash refund,  just credit to use later.   

Forcing the airlines / travel companies to refund cash they don't have will only hasten their demise. The government will probably take the pragmatic  view and look the other way with regards to trading standards in order to protect jobs. 

It's not right by the letter of the law,  but I can understand why it's needed. 

You may well be right.

Tbf it’s not a lot of money, but I’m more annoyed at the sleekit tactics of offering a voucher, me rejecting it and then they send one anyway. 

The flight was for a stag do last weekend so there’s a dozen of us in the same boat.

If it were any other industry I’d probably refuse to use KLM again on principle, but when it comes to air travel if it’s slightly cheaper or more convenient then principles for out the window. 

36 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Correct! Even their email with the voucher instead of the previously requested cash refund didn't have a subject so probably hoping it ends up in folks spam folder to further delay claims.

Only way i've heard of to actually join the queue for a cash refund from Ryanair is via private message on twitter 

Yes, once you've joined the refund queue, Ryanair are playing this open-ended by stating the refunds will gradually be made once the pandemic is less intense, clever!

hmfc_liam06

Not long of the phone to Jet2 and I can't fault them.

The guy laid out the options, told him we wanted a full refund. No hassle whatsoever, processed it there and then and the money is now sitting back in my PayPal.

Well played Jet2 👏

10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The guy laid out the options, told him we wanted a full refund. No hassle whatsoever, processed it there and then and the money is now sitting back in my PayPal.

Well played Jet2 👏

What number did you manage to get them on?

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

They phoned me mate.

Ah ok cheers, they've said that they are doing that in flight date order, when were you due to fly?

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Ribble said:

Ah ok cheers, they've said that they are doing that in flight date order, when were you due to fly?

I'm the 17th May. Although I filled out the form on their website, it's supposed to be for rearranging but you can leave all that stuff blank.

I was shocked last night to get through to lufthansa in 10 seconds.  They agreed to a refund but I am aware this is taking several weeks to process. They are in serious financial problems and therefore I hope I see it sometime if not it will be a chat with the credit card company.

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm the 17th May. Although I filled out the form on their website, it's supposed to be for rearranging but you can leave all that stuff blank.

Hmff I was due to fly on the 8th and heard toss all

Samuel Camazzola
39 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Well played Jet2 👏

👍 

Same level of good service I received. 

If only some numpties would stop clogging up their communication channels with nonsense, they'd be able to address things quicker. Some of the Twitter queries are ridiculous. 

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Ribble said:

Log in to the manage booking area and there should be a link to amend your holiday. Follow that and fill out the first part of the form. They got back to me within a few days.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

Same level of good service I received. 

If only some numpties would stop clogging up their communication channels with nonsense, they'd be able to address things quicker. Some of the Twitter queries are ridiculous. 

Yeah I cant really fault them there. There was no attempt to not give me my refund or any dirty tricks. 

Feel for them but I need the money more now. We will definitely be booking with them again in future though, to be honest we almost always use them for package holidays anyway.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah I cant really fault them there. There was no attempt to not give me my refund or any dirty tricks. 

Feel for them but I need the money more now. We will definitely be booking with them again in future though, to be honest we almost always use them for package holidays anyway.

I ended up booking a cracking deal recently as it was too good to let pass. Will get refund again if all is not well by September. 

Dagger Is Back
9 hours ago, Ribble said:

We're the 15th. I think Liams got a response and a good one because of his email. Hope you get the call this week, you certainly don't want to be stuck on the phone to them

We've got flights for June with Ryanair. Everything else has been cancelled and refunded. Dreading Ryanair running flights rather than cancelling and losing out on the flight refund.

If they do cancel and refuse to issue a refund I imagine we'll go through the credit card company to get the money.

FinnBarr Saunders
27 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We've got flights for June with Ryanair. Everything else has been cancelled and refunded. Dreading Ryanair running flights rather than cancelling and losing out on the flight refund.

If they do cancel and refuse to issue a refund I imagine we'll go through the credit card company to get the money.

I don't think Ryanair will be running flights anywhere soon. If ever again.

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I ended up booking a cracking deal recently as it was too good to let pass. Will get refund again if all is not well by September. 

In all honesty we won't be going anywhere this year, places just aren't going to be the same for quite some time.

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

michael oleary has just said on bbc breakfast that they expect to be back with some flights july/august

Think I’ll have a fight with TUI. We were due out on 4th August to Salou but took the decision to cancel our holiday 3 weeks ago given the situation.

Got through after 1.5 hours and lost the deposit, which was fair enough, I knew the terms and conditions. But we’re still due back a wedge already paid towards the hol which we were told at the time we should get.

Tried to call yesterday but understandably they are really busy. However, I didn’t even get through to the options as i did before . It just cuts off. 😳

just checked and today i got my refund for my flights from easyjet. was supposed to fly 2nd week in april so a few weeks after flights were due but at least i have my money back now

8 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I don't think Ryanair will be running flights anywhere soon. If ever again.

53 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

michael oleary has just said on bbc breakfast that they expect to be back with some flights july/august

Sounds like we'll be okay then. Thanks 👍

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

In all honesty we won't be going anywhere this year, places just aren't going to be the same for quite some time.

A private villa/apartment and daily access to.a golf course will keep you right. 👍 

Jambos_1874

Does anyone know how the **** you get a refund from Ryanair? My flight was cancelled, I applied for a refund by clicking on the link in the email and then was told I have received a voucher. I cannot find anywhere on the website which actually allows me to apply for a cash refund, although it is vaguely alluded to. 

The Frenchman Returns
On 22/04/2020 at 16:48, The Frenchman Returns said:

Thanks chaps

I expect to have EasyJet Edi-Athens flights on 14th June cancelled soon. Unfortunately for me I booked all the component parts myself as I knew what I wanted and couldn't get it via a package holiday.

It will be house if cards trying to recoup the cost and I would actually book the same location, dates, accommodation again for June 2021 but flights are only currently on sale until Easter 21, so I will have to sit with Easyjet vouchers for a few months.

Greek ban on UK flights expires 15th May, my accommodation can be cancelled FOC up to 14th May, hopefully the Greeks make a decision early. Ferries are booked directly with Greek ferry company and they would appear to be offering vouchers too.

This will be the 3rd holiday in a row cancelled. (I absolutely get that this is only money but apart from the flight I would appear to be much safer in Greece)

well I received the dreaded email this morning from my Greek apartment owners, asking me to cancel and waiving the cancellation fee. 

so I am now going to have the joys of contacting easyJet, Greek ferry company and Athens hotel.

This dream holiday was the one thing keeping me going through long Covid hours. Gutted.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/how-to-get-cash-refund-for-cancelled-tui-jet2-easyjet-and-ryanair-flight-and-what-the-law-says/ar-BB13u9TK?li=AAJsPCA&ocid=spartandhp

There was also a post with the Easy Jet details and where to send the form to earlier in this thread

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/easyjet-adds-online-refund-form-for-cancelled-flights/

How to claim an EasyJet refund for a cancelled flight EasyJet is now directing customers to an online refund form to claim for cancelled flights. It says that it will do its ‘best to complete your request within 28 days’. 28 days is longer than the seven days easyJet is legally allowed to issue refunds for cancellations but, given the exceptional circumstances and number of refunds the airline is dealing with, it’s not unreasonable. Which? has heard from many customers from all airlines who have already been waiting longer than 28 days for a refund.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/easyjet-adds-online-refund-form-for-cancelled-flights/ - Which?

Edited by CJGJ
Enzo Chiefo
4 hours ago, CJGJ said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/how-to-get-cash-refund-for-cancelled-tui-jet2-easyjet-and-ryanair-flight-and-what-the-law-says/ar-BB13u9TK?li=AAJsPCA&ocid=spartandhp

There was also a post with the Easy Jet details and where to send the form to earlier in this thread

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/easyjet-adds-online-refund-form-for-cancelled-flights/

How to claim an EasyJet refund for a cancelled flight EasyJet is now directing customers to an online refund form to claim for cancelled flights. It says that it will do its ‘best to complete your request within 28 days’. 28 days is longer than the seven days easyJet is legally allowed to issue refunds for cancellations but, given the exceptional circumstances and number of refunds the airline is dealing with, it’s not unreasonable. Which? has heard from many customers from all airlines who have already been waiting longer than 28 days for a refund.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/easyjet-adds-online-refund-form-for-cancelled-flights/ - Which?

I've got Easy Jet flights to Seville in 3 weeks. Not cancelled yet but got the chance to re-book on to any flight in Europe or receive a voucher. Offer expired last night. Was going to book on end of Sept flight but will just book that separately over the next couple of days and wait for a refund for May flights.

The Frenchman Returns

Chatted online to apartment owner last night. There are different rules for different accommodation reopening in June in Greece. Year round hotels vs seasonal. Here's what I was told

Hi Frenchman, I am afraid we are not allowed to open in June and you are not allowed to travel. Stay safe yourself, all the best Flora

17 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I've got Easy Jet flights to Seville in 3 weeks. Not cancelled yet but got the chance to re-book on to any flight in Europe or receive a voucher. Offer expired last night. Was going to book on end of Sept flight but will just book that separately over the next couple of days and wait for a refund for May flights.

I was due to be in Seville last weekend but of course flight cancelled..had to wait until Easy Jet cancelled flight to claim.

Hotel are also going to refund as Spanish government ordered hotels to be closed as well

There are not enough details to rebook as there are not even flight details available that will certainly fly in order to book any accomodation

Looks like next year for Seville

inspector

Seville was going to be a popular place. We were due there on June 8th, also flying with Easyjet. Apart from generic e-mails from them, I haven't heard anything and don't expect any for at least a couple of weeks.

Hugh Phamism

We have a villa in Orlando, and (fortunately) decided to take it out of the short term rental market during the previous market collapse in 2008. We have had the same long term tenants now for the past 10 years, but I know of many owners who still have short term rental properties in the Disney area.

The current rules in Florida, declared by Governor DeSantis, is that hotels and condos are now open for business, but holiday villas are still locked down until further notice.  It is believed  by many that DeSantis is dancing to the tune of corporations (Disney and Universal, etc.) and the major hotel chains. This is a major disadvantage for the many private owners who rely on rental income to cover their costs and will impact future availability.

1 hour ago, Hugh Phamism said:

We have a villa in Orlando, and (fortunately) decided to take it out of the short term rental market during the previous market collapse in 2008. We have had the same long term tenants now for the past 10 years, but I know of many owners who still have short term rental properties in the Disney area.

The current rules in Florida, declared by Governor DeSantis, is that hotels and condos are now open for business, but holiday villas are still locked down until further notice.  It is believed  by many that DeSantis is dancing to the tune of corporations (Disney and Universal, etc.) and the major hotel chains. This is a major disadvantage for the many private owners who rely on rental income to cover their costs and will impact future availability.

I believe Disney are taking bookings at their resorts/hotels from 1 June however they cancel on a rolling 7 day basis. They have cancelled through 23rd May today so are cutting it fine.

I am booked, with 3rd party agents, a Disney resort from 29th June but not going as virgin Atlantic are allowing free rebooking until sometime in 2022. I paid the 3rd party agents  a large deposit which I’ll never see again. Such is life.

6 hours ago, Barack said:

Sevilla is nice. You would've liked it.

Thanks for that.. again 😭

Edited by CJGJ
Hugh Phamism
2 hours ago, westbow said:

I believe Disney are taking bookings at their resorts/hotels from 1 June however they cancel on a rolling 7 day basis. They have cancelled through 23rd May today so are cutting it fine.

I am booked, with 3rd party agents, a Disney resort from 29th June but not going as virgin Atlantic are allowing free rebooking until sometime in 2022. I paid the 3rd party agents  a large deposit which I’ll never see again. Such is life.

My buddy was booked to go in April with BA, which obviously didn't happen. He has rebooked for November, but who knows if BA will flying again (if at all...) by then.

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, westbow said:

I am supposed to be going in August.  Booked directed with Disney, so can cancel up until 8 days before I go, and get most of my money back (maybe lose £150). 

Disney have also said they don't know when they will reopen the parks.   Universal Orlando is closed until at least the 31st May.  

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

I'll get your does and dont's for Seville next year

I've never been (would  love to). However, a DO is check when the Celtic scaffs are intending to descend upon the place like zombies from The Walking Dead. I believe hoardes of them pollute the place on an annual basis. 

You DON'T want to be anywhere near the place when masses in full kits are swarming the streets. I've been to places like Santa Ponsa which seems to attract the unwashed and it's not nice. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola
Typing error
Enzo Chiefo
9 hours ago, Barack said:

Sevilla is nice. You would've liked it.

Bit like Jim Bowen in Bullseye...this is what you would have won😄