Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Samuel Camazzola
24 minutes ago, Lee_Mellon said:

Anybody got any experience of Jet2 issuing partial refunds?

My June holiday to Mahon was cancelled on 28/4/20 by Jet2. On Saturday (9/5/20) I had an email and a voicemail from Jet2 advising me that they were processing a full refund which I would receive in due course.

Today, my Visa account was credited with around £620, which I think comprises my initial deposit plus a part payment of £500 I made. While I’m happy with the speed of the response, I’m left wondering if the remaining balance of £1300 will be refunded automatically at a later date or if I should join the host of lost souls trying to get through on their helpline.

Any help gratefully received.

My full refund from Jet2 was processed as per the transactions I made - deposit and remaining balance. I'm sure I got these back on my card at the same time but never scrutinised it. 

Fill in the online form and someone will get in touch if you still experience difficulties getting through. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lee_Mellon
8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

My full refund from Jet2 was processed as per the transactions I made - deposit and remaining balance. I'm sure I got these back on my card at the same time but never scrutinised it. 

Fill in the online form and someone will get in touch if you still experience difficulties getting through. 

Cheers for this - I had forgotten about the online form. I’ll give it a week before trying the form - anything rather than the purgatory of a helpline!

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Lee_Mellon said:

Anybody got any experience of Jet2 issuing partial refunds?

My June holiday to Mahon was cancelled on 28/4/20 by Jet2. On Saturday (9/5/20) I had an email and a voicemail from Jet2 advising me that they were processing a full refund which I would receive in due course.

Today, my Visa account was credited with around £620, which I think comprises my initial deposit plus a part payment of £500 I made. While I’m happy with the speed of the response, I’m left wondering if the remaining balance of £1300 will be refunded automatically at a later date or if I should join the host of lost souls trying to get through on their helpline.

Any help gratefully received.

I had made about 5 payments to my Jet2 holiday. They were paid back individually to the accounts I had paid from over the course of a few days. One payment seemed to be missing but was eventually traced back into Mrs F's account, and she "hadn't noticed" she was a few hundred quid richer.

Lee_Mellon
9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I had made about 5 payments to my Jet2 holiday. They were paid back individually to the accounts I had paid from over the course of a few days. One payment seemed to be missing but was eventually traced back into Mrs F's account, and she "hadn't noticed" she was a few hundred quid richer.

Thanks - checked my updated Visa transactions today and there are separate refunds of £120 on Saturday and £500 yesterday, so It’s now clear that’s how they’re doing it. If only they’d told me that was how they were processing refunds...

At least I won’t have your issue, since Mrs Mellon pays for nowt!

So Ryanair think they will resume flights in July with passengers and staff wearing masks. 😂

Begs the question though where people stand if your flights leaves but your destination accommodation isn’t accepting foreign visitors. Get a sense Ryanair especially will be making flights irrespective of destination restrictions on visitors. One way to avoid refunds. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

So Ryanair think they will resume flights in July with passengers and staff wearing masks. 😂

Begs the question though where people stand if your flights leaves but your destination accommodation isn’t accepting foreign visitors. Get a sense Ryanair especially will be making flights irrespective of destination restrictions on visitors. One way to avoid refunds. 

I'm assuming the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and their equivalents will have the final say.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

I'm assuming the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and their equivalents will have the final say.

They can advise against travel, but I don't think they can stop you from travelling to that destination.

1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

They might have a say but I’m not sure that will help people in the scenario thousands could find themselves in. Airlines put flights on, destination hotels and accommodations haven’t opened up for foreign visitors. Some countries may even have a 14 day lockdown rule on arrival for visitors. Where would that leave people ? 

Maple Leaf

A friend of mine had booked his entire family on a trip to an all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic in April. For the 8 of them it was $20,000 via Air Transat.

Because of the virus, AT cancelled their trip.  No refund was offered, but he was given a $20,000 credit toward a future vacation.  He tried to book an identical trip for April next year, but the cost had risen by over $3,000.  Several e-mails to Air Transat has been unanswered.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

They might have a say but I’m not sure that will help people in the scenario thousands could find themselves in. Airlines put flights on, destination hotels and accommodations haven’t opened up for foreign visitors. Some countries may even have a 14 day lockdown rule on arrival for visitors. Where would that leave people ? 

Probably sitting in a foreign quarantine centre for 14 nights, at their own expense.

Ryanair/O'Leary are deluding themselves if they think thousands & thousands of people will be going on holiday before the schools start up again in September.

Indeed it seems very likely there will be little to no foreign holidays this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52632976

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Probably sitting in a foreign quarantine centre for 14 nights, at their own expense.

Ryanair/O'Leary are deluding themselves if they think thousands & thousands of people will be going on holiday before the schools start up again in September.

Indeed it seems very likely there will be little to no foreign holidays this year.

Methinks it’s an attempt to get cash flow to ride out the storm while flights are grounded. Sort of rolling refunds. It’s aided by the government only extending by a few weeks at a time and being very hazy about when things will begin to relax. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

The F&CO should maintain essential travel only, holidays shouldn't be deemed essential. The two countries (home & destination) must have similar policies and no travel should take place if there is no receiving accommodation for which the flight was initially intended. Hopefully, that last part will be defining.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

31 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Which is what I’m getting at. No one is getting on that flight but if the flight goes People will be out of pocket. 

31 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Which is what I’m getting at. No one is getting on that flight but if the flight goes People will be out of pocket. 

If the FCO are advising against it would your insurance not kick in?

CavySlaveJambo
Just now, graygo said:

If you had the trip booked before the virus became a known risk

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The minute countries were putting arriving travellers into Quarantine Or lockdowns were starting then the FCO were advising against travel to that country in most cases. 

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I’m not actually sure but you’d like to think so. I just can’t see past Ryanair running flights despite holiday destinations clearly not open to foreign visitors. 

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They can advise against travel, but I don't think they can stop you from travelling to that destination.

Their advice is all I need, our 3Oth anniversary and my 60th were to be celebrated in Tenerife July/August with the whole family. I'm relying on the FCO to do me a favour, I don't want to go. All booked prior to CV-19.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

2 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Their advice is all I need, our 3Oth anniversary and my 60th were to be celebrated in Tenerife July/August with the whole family. I'm relying on the FCO to do me a favour, I don't want to go. All booked prior to CV-19.

Similar here, got flights to Gdansk booked for the wife's birthday in August and looks like Ryanair plan to have the flight going but doubt if I'll be on it. Fortunately I've got annual insurance.

Dearest flights I've ever had with Ryanair too at nearly £400 for the two of us.

Edited by graygo

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

Similar here, got flights to Gdansk booked for the wife's birthday in August and looks like Ryanair plan to have the flight going but doubt if I'll be on it. Fortunately I've got annual insurance.

Dearest flights I've ever had with Ryanair too at nearly £400 for the two of us.

Aw Gdansk you would've loved it tae, same as the Seville traveller.

£400, she'll be worth every penny.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, graygo said:

Have you tried to get insurance lately?

I tried, I was just playing, Spain in September and there were no quotes available on an insurance comparison site, just said that due to FCO advise no quotes were available right now.

So until the FCO change their advice, nobody is getting a new travel insurance cover.

CavySlaveJambo
16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I tried, I was just playing, Spain in September and there were no quotes available on an insurance comparison site, just said that due to FCO advise no quotes were available right now.

So until the FCO change their advice, nobody is getting a new travel insurance cover.

Also travelling against FCO advice COULD invalidate your insurance for that trip

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Also travelling against FCO advice COULD invalidate your insurance for that trip

It does as far as I know.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No, like another poster said, as long as you booked the insurance before it became a known risk which I did then you should be covered. Surely anyone with anything booked just now booked it before this came about and insurance should always be taken out at the time of booking.

Not true to say you can't get travel insurance either, you won't be covered for Covid-19 related illnesses and you won't be able to make s claim if you travel against FCO advice but you certainly can buy travel insurance.

https://travelinsurance.staysure.co.uk/quote/policy-details

Screenshot_20200512-193228.png

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, graygo said:

No, like another poster said, as long as you booked the insurance before it became a known risk which I did then you should be covered. Surely anyone with anything booked just now booked it before this came about and insurance should always be taken out at the time of booking.

Not true to say you can't get travel insurance either, you won't be covered for Covid-19 related illnesses and you won't be able to make s claim if you travel against FCO advice but you certainly can buy travel insurance.

https://travelinsurance.staysure.co.uk/quote/policy-details

Screenshot_20200512-193228.png

Moneysupermarket travel insurance wasn't quoting any quotes for new travel insurance the other day.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Moneysupermarket travel insurance wasn't quoting any quotes for new travel insurance the other day.

They are now with the caveats I mentioned, 12th September they have 11 quotes from different insurers.

Jambo-Jimbo
43 minutes ago, graygo said:

Just checked, a week in Spain in September works out at £21.85 per couple. £34.06 for an annual policy.

For me alone it was costing £50.63 with a £99 excess, that's for a week in Spain in September, I didn't bother putting in for an annual policy.  😂

The other site you provided a link for was £59.40 for a week & £116 for an annual policy.

So as feared, folks with pre-existing medical conditions are going to pay a lot more going forward, certainly in the short term.

IIRC two weeks in Malta last June cost me £22 for the two weeks, that's just for my cover.

21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

For me alone it was costing £50.63 with a £99 excess, that's for a week in Spain in September, I didn't bother putting in for an annual policy.  😂

The other site you provided a link for was £59.40 for a week & £116 for an annual policy.

So as feared, folks with pre-existing medical conditions are going to pay a lot more going forward, certainly in the short term.

IIRC two weeks in Malta last June cost me £22 for the two weeks, that's just for my cover.

Sorry I wasn't arguing about the cost, just that it's available.

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, graygo said:

Sorry I wasn't arguing about the cost, just that it's available.

I know, neither was I, and I never took it that way.

Tbh, I can't remember which dates I put in originally, I have a feeling it might have been July, so maybe that was why I got no quotes.

Sooperstar
23 minutes ago, Barack said:

What's the thoughts on those who do decide to go away for a fortnight?

Those that have been furloughed, or have been given grants/loans, to ease their financial hardship, could be looking at an all expenses paid trip on the Government. 

People aren't exactly going to tell their employer's they've buggered off. And even if they've come back, able to at last go to work and are browner than an almond...they'll just say "been sat in the garden for two weeks."

If an employer does find out say via social media,(let's not forget, people are stupid) then that two week period of furlough, for example,  should be withheld. Probably the full month, if quarantine is in effect upon returning to the UK.

The grants & loans are just open for abuse. "Need it for my business." *

*Buys a hot-tub

Re-decorates spare room

Goes on holiday for two weeks...

Are you suggesting that people who have been furloughed don't have the right to do what they want (and within the social distancing etc guidelines which apply to them) with what would normally be their working time?

Just received refund from Easy Jet after completing the form 3 weeks ago.

Also received refund direct from Hotel Group as Spanish Hotels were ordered to be closed

Only small issue was the conversion from Euros to the £ but better than at first thought

Sooperstar
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

If they've booked it beforehand, before Covid-19  lockdown & restrictions, no. If they're taking money for their supposed financial hardships, then pissing off to Spain for two weeks, whilst their employer is paying them purely due to help from the Government to keep the lights on, and them by extension in employment...? Then yes. It takes the piss. 

Same as self-employment grants. I'm eligible. Will I be taking 4k of the Governments money, earmarked for financial assistance in my job, then buggering off to Greece? No. It takes the piss. As good and a worthy system as it is. People can & will take the piss. 

You off on holiday are you?

I'm still working full time. I very much doubt anyone is off on holiday at the moment, least of all the barman from the local who is unable to work due to his place of employment being closed. However, if he did have the option of going on holiday and he took that option then I would have zero issue with him using it. 

Tui to cut looking to cut 8,000 jobs and permanently reduce their overheads by 30% due to a loss of 747m loss.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Chaps said:

Tui to cut looking to cut 8,000 jobs and permanently reduce their overheads by 30% due to a loss of 747m loss.

The travel industry is going to look very different after all of this, that's for sure.

Samuel Camazzola
On 12/05/2020 at 15:57, Old Blue Eyes said:

Tenerife bars started to re-open this week. A lot of hotels have 1st July as an intended re-launch date and Jet 2 have mid June as a date earmarked to kick off their summer programme. Just a waiting game to see how things pan out with all destinations at different stages. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Tenerife bars started to re-open this week. A lot of hotels have 1st July as an intended re-launch date and Jet 2 have mid June as a date earmarked to kick off their summer programme. Just a waiting game to see how things pan out with all destinations at different stages. 

Need compatible decisions from destination countries & UK, could be troublesome. If implemented, mandatory quarantine measures will make most vacations pointless. The social distancing on the aircraft will be interesting if the flight is fully booked, I've 8 seats booked. How would the airline decide who travels, date of initial booking maybe?

You anything booked prior to CV-19 SM?

16 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Need compatible decisions from destination countries & UK, could be troublesome. If implemented, mandatory quarantine measures will make most vacations pointless. The social distancing on the aircraft will be interesting if the flight is fully booked, I've 8 seats booked. How would the airline decide who travels, date of initial booking maybe?

https://www.tenerifenews.com/2020/05/spain-follows-the-uk-and-declares-a-14-day-quarantine-for-all-international-arrivals-from-this-friday/

Above may answer a few questions.

Samuel Camazzola
27 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

10 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Yeah, just a waiting game to see how or if restrictions are relaxed and when. 

On 12/05/2020 at 19:38, graygo said:

Just checked, a week in Spain in September works out at £21.85 per couple. £34.06 for an annual policy.

Bargain for a trip to the Intensive Care Unit. 

Samuel Camazzola

The only thing I was out of pocket for was two weeks' airport parking. It was booked as a non-flexible option and the firm were not for giving a refund despite the circumstances. 

I decided to stick a claim via the insurance attached to my packaged bank account and received a confirmation that the claim has been successful today. 👍 

Will be choosing my parking provider carefully going forward. 

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The only thing I was out of pocket for was two weeks' airport parking. It was booked as a non-flexible option and the firm were not for giving a refund despite the circumstances. 

I decided to stick a claim via the insurance attached to my packaged bank account and received a confirmation that the claim has been successful today. 👍 

Name and shame the a holes.........I had booked accommodation for the vermin game and they refused to refund me when the plug was pulled....they got an appropriate trip adviser review from me.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Name and shame the a holes.........I had booked accommodation for the vermin game and they refused to refund me when the plug was pulled....they got an appropriate trip adviser review from me.

Looking 4 Parking were the company. Could have just booked directly with the terminal car park but utilised a promo code to shave a little off. Won't entertain them again. 

Looking 4 Parking were the company. Could have just booked directly with the terminal car park but utilised a promo code to shave a little off. Won't entertain them again. 

If you book early enough, I was £72 for 9 days Edi multistorey fast track, eliminates plenty ***kin about.

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

If you book early enough, I was £72 for 9 days Edi multistorey fast track, eliminates plenty ***kin about.

I'll gauge it all carefully for next bookings. If it means paying a bit extra to include cancellation cover, I'll do that. 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I think the initial period of hotels opening are only for Tenerifians to holiday in, followed by inter island travel if the Spanish government allow it.

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I think the initial period of hotels opening are only for Tenerifians to holiday in, followed by inter island travel if the Spanish government allow it.

Yeah, its their first phase. With a lot of hotels looking to open at beginning of July, a lot of things can change in six weeks. Fingers crossed there is no second wave to cause a set-back. 

Doctor FinnBarr

Yeah, its their first phase. With a lot of hotels looking to open at beginning of July, a lot of things can change in six weeks. Fingers crossed there is no second wave to cause a set-back. 

Bloody hope so although TBH I don't see us being allowed to fly this year.

47 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Bargain for a trip to the Intensive Care Unit. 

It is, along as it's not Covid-19 related cos you ain't getting cover for that.

40 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I was the same with Manor Parking at Edinburgh airport, refused to refund as it was non flexible then out of the blue last week, 2 days before"departure" they refunded me.