Halkett Up Front

Five to One

Tokyo Drifter
20 hours ago, Five to One said:

Has this been considered or discussed elsewhere? Likes a goal and I believe has experience as a striker. Move Smith to CB if fit.  His strength in the air may also help Boyce and Naismith. 

Might be worth a try and if it works implement till the end of the season. 

Has been mentioned elsewhere. Probably worth a try. Almost worked  with Callum Paterson you will remember.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I have had similar thoughts myself but thinking about the answer is most definitely a no. 

The guy has built a professional football career and only last year, was in the team of the year at CH; I think. He was undoubtably been one of the better players in the league at that position. 

Yet he comes here and we want to change his position based on little more than desperation and a need to change something, I don’t think it’s the right move. Our coaching need to be putting our players in the best position to succeed ,  not sure playing players out of position achieves that. 

We have Smith and Claire playing out of position and it’s not working out all that well. Smith is not at his best In midfield and we are losing more than we gain and whilst Claire has looked better he has big holes defensively for a full back. This has caused and will continue to cause us issues. 

Hallett and to a lesser degree Souttar are more than capable of playing at high standard in this league and have done so in the recent passed. It’s not the time for experimentation and changing players positions right now. We should be playing players where they are most comfortable, 

We need to get these players performing and to me that’s  achieved from building from the basics. Not learning new positions whilst in a relegation battle. 

The expression it ‘can’t be any worse’ gets used a lot in general and to me that a nativity of people underestimating how bad things can actually get!!! 

Good post. Players' form fluctuates and it often is more down to how the team is playing than their individual ability. There's a tendency to write players off too soon during a bad run. Bjorn Jonsson most recently was dismissed as a huddy by many and did very well when he found form and then after his move.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

This. 

Some of the more “mature” posters may remember Mike Galloway scoring for fun by making late runs from midfield. We tried him up front and he was shite. Defenders pick up forwards so a late runner or an extra body causes problems. Stick the guy up front and the defence will be onto him. 

I remember Galloway being a revelation up front in the Sandy Clark role, especially on our 88/89 European run. Can't remember how often he played there mind you. Very impressive the season before when we got 2nd too, always in midfield though I think. Probably the best 60 grand we've ever spent!

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I remember Galloway being a revelation up front in the Sandy Clark role, especially on our 88/89 European run. Can't remember how often he played there mind you. Very impressive the season before when we got 2nd too, always in midfield though I think. Probably the best 60 grand we've ever spent!

He didn’t do badly, but didn’t score. His goals all came from midfield. And yes, a great £60K, especially when we flogged him to Celtic for £500K 

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, OTT said:

Yeah. I'm starting to get a bit concerned about that. We've seen the levels Soapy can play to. His initial partnership with Berra up to the injury was superb. Like, best double act since Pressley and Webster. Phenomenal pairing. 

Halkett isn't looking strong enough defensively. I wonder though, if he could play in centre-midfield when we need a more defensive minded player? Smith reads the game so much better and I wonder if we're lacking a clear leader at the back with neither being captain? Smith has heaps of experience and alongside Soapy will probably help us leak less goals. Halkett filling in till Sibbick returns in CDM makes a lot of sense for me and adds a bit of physicality we're currently missing (IMO). 

I think McLaughlin was a big part of making those two look better, he had the most saves of any other keeper in his season with us which kind of knocks a wee hole in those two being that good. 
Halkett or Souttar in CM would be worth a try and may well be the future for either in this system. Sibbick should be back for the next game so here’s hoping a better defensive showing, no matter who’s playing.

2 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Has been mentioned elsewhere. Probably worth a try. Almost worked  with Callum Paterson you will remember.

Yes, and Paterson now plays as an attacking midfielder. 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

He didn’t do badly, but didn’t score. His goals all came from midfield. And yes, a great £60K, especially when we flogged him to Celtic for £500K 

My memory might be playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure he was a big part of our European run when playing up front. Got about 5 goals in Europe or something like that.

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

My memory might be playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure he was a big part of our European run when playing up front. Got about 5 goals in Europe or something like that.

yeah, but that was coming from midfield

Good in the air, decent finisher.

If Boyce is injured, I think it's a good shout.

He's playing shit at the back just now, Smith would be a better option. Uche isn't cutting it and Halkett might give himself a confidence boost up top

On 22/02/2020 at 23:15, Governor Tarkin said:

You would think someone with your vast knowledge and understanding of football would know that Halkett being a striker before he was a centre half has no bearing on Ribble's point.

Cheers, saved me from saying it

The very idea of playing Halkett up front - where he'll need to make runs, play with the ball at his feet, and potentially dribble past people, gives me the absolute fear. He's good up there for a last ditch, launch it into the box type approach but for anything else, no thank you. I'd much rather put Naismith up front either with Washington or on his own if Boyce is out. 

I haven't given up on him - there's a player in there!

He did so well for Livi last season that I can't help thinking he must have more, but I do suspect that he just isn't suited to the style we're going for. Clevid would be if he could actually play football.