Jim Jefferies on Open Goal

chazza74

Leveins Battalion

Seeing and hearing from Jim brings back fond memories and reminds me of why Iove Hearts,it all seems like a distant memory just now though.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin

• Unknown user

• Салатные палочки

• Hearts1975

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Seeing and hearing from Jim brings back fond memories and reminds me of why Iove Hearts,it all seems like a distant memory just now though.

Dry yer eyes! We contested a Scottish Cup final less than one year ago and have a cracking cup QF coming up.

Edited by ToqueJambo

15 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

It should be a distant memory, it was 22 years ago.

Салатные палочки

Anyone happen to know when the podcast is available? Want to listen to this on my way to work tomorrow. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

portobellojambo1

Was interesting listening to his comments relating to around the time when we went to Hungary to play Paksi. I don't recall reading or hearing anything at the time about him being released. I don't know why or how but I do remember the whole squad seemed a bit downcast in the airport when we were awaiting the flight back from Budapest.

Was good to hear that he is feeling a lot better now.

SectionDJambo
Just now, portobellojambo1 said:

Was interesting listening to his comments relating to around the time when we went to Hungary to play Paksi. I don't recall reading or hearing anything at the time about him being released. I don't know why or how but I do remember the whole squad seemed a bit downcast in the airport when we were awaiting the flight back from Budapest.

Was good to hear that he is feeling a lot better now.

Paulo Sergio's first game in charge was the return home leg against Paksi.

On 21/02/2020 at 13:10, jr ewing said:

There must be a job for him at the club he would be interested in. 

JJ is the ideal choice for our DoF/Sporting Director role... 

SpruceBringsteen

Where the **** has this "Jet" patter suddenly appeared from btw? Literally never heard him called that once until this interview was announced, now everyone is at it. :laugh:

4 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

pretty much said as much at the end. “Other roles are a different matter” 

Bring him home 

Wouldn't be against JJ taking up some sort of role within the club. TBH he should have been offered it when Levein came on board. Having another voice on the board could have helped us avoid the mess we're currently in. 

I think for DOF/ Sporting director, we should really be looking for someone who can modernise the footballing department. Someone of the Mark Wotte mould. JJ as some sort of non-executive director to help advise the board on footballing matters could be good. He's only 69 and looks to be in better health now. An advisory position is also not full time or anything so plenty time for family etc. 

12 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

Maybe he's happy being retired?

He comes across as astute, personable and reasonable, not that that is a surprise. A good man 

9 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Maybe he's happy being retired?

He comes across as astute, personable and reasonable, not that that is a surprise. A good man 

He's been Director of Football at Edinburgh City for a couple of years now (assuming he still hasn't left).

Not sure Jim would want our DoF role even if it was offered. Doesn’t travel to distant away games with Edinburgh City these days as he quite rightly prioritises his grandchildren. 

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Where the **** has this "Jet" patter suddenly appeared from btw? Literally never heard him called that once until this interview was announced, now everyone is at it. :laugh:

A few former hearts players have referred to him as the Jet on previous open goal podcasts. Had never heard it before until listening to these podcasts.

He said he is open to another role if he has a daft moment

He says his health is great, I think he could do a job in some capacity

Sporting Director, board member when the Foundation takes over 

He bleeds maroon

****ing Legend

1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

He said he is open to another role if he has a daft moment

He says his health is great, I think he could do a job in some capacity

Sporting Director, board member when the Foundation takes over 

He bleeds maroon

****ing Legend

We need a Sporting Director to bring in players that can play Stendel’s system. Those players are most likely to be European players. Does JJ have the contacts to achieve that?

The Future's Maroon

Brilliant interview, I think I have a man crush on JJ ❤️

Don’t know if it’s weird but I had a smile on my face most of that hour n a half!

Absolutely love this guy.

Remember being a teen used to hearts always being runner up and thinking will I ever see us lift a trophy.

Along came the jet and we had a great 97/98 season running the old firm close then lifting the Scottish cup.

Absolute legend 💗

8 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We need a Sporting Director to bring in players that can play Stendel’s system. Those players are most likely to be European players. Does JJ have the contacts to achieve that?

He brought a few foreigners in during his time - Rousset, Salvatori, Flogel and Adam, arguably the best we have ever had

4 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

He brought a few foreigners in during his time - Rousset, Salvatori, Flogel and Adam, arguably the best we have ever had

That's right, Bruno, Niemi. Petric...

15 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Nobody comes close to big Jim.  Greatest Hearts manager in my lifetime and the man responsible for bringing Rudi home.

Consistently good and didn't shit it against anyone

9 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Bruno and Rousset were quite good for starters. 

Loved that, he's so well respected by everyone in Scottish football.

Called out Romanov for what he is as well.

Couldn’t take the smile off my face watching that. He isn’t just a hero of mine but an absolute gentleman into the bargain 

98 was the best feeling for me, as I am sure it was for a lot of other folk, being a supporter, and probably will never ever be repeated again 

honestly, even a league win wouldn’t beat that day. That day was special and it was JJ that made it happen for us 

Absolute legend in the truest sense of the word ♥️ Great to see him looking so well 

1 minute ago, Finlay James said:

You wonder sometimes 

Thought it was interesting when he said that Romanov didn’t want him to leave and take on the DOF role 

My initial thought was even Mad Vlad who respected nobody had respect for JJ ... you never know ..

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Nobody comes close to big Jim.  Greatest Hearts manager in my lifetime and the man responsible for bringing Rudi home.

Not to mention 1998 cup glory. JJ :notworthy:the only appropriate emoji for this topic.

Nice reminder of the achievement of avoiding relegation in 1999. Signing Darren Jackson and Gary McSwegan made a difference. Though Paul Ritchie credits Colin Cameron returning from injury. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-curious-similarities-between-class-9899-and-present-day-after-27-matches-featuring-mo-berthe-colin-cameron-and-great-escape-1888582

Edited by Mikey1874

2 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Bruno and Rousset were quite good for starters. 

That was over 20 years ago ... Would JJ have the contacts in 2020 to help build the dynamic attacking Hearts team that the fans demand?

7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That was over 20 years ago ... Would JJ have the contacts in 2020 to help build the dynamic attacking Hearts team that the fans demand?

Would you have thought he had them 20 years ago after managing Berwick rangers and Falkirk?

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Nice reminder of the achievement of avoiding relegation in 1999. Signing Darren Jackson and Gary McSwegan made a difference. Though Paul Ritchie credits Colin Cameron returning from injury. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-curious-similarities-between-class-9899-and-present-day-after-27-matches-featuring-mo-berthe-colin-cameron-and-great-escape-1888582

We badly missed Cameron that year.  When he returned everything just clicked.  

I remember the Daily Record advert at the time was that 'You and Me Song' with footage of Scottish football "partnerships".  Ours was Cameron and Adam.  Was like a boot in the stones seeing it while he was out.  

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

We badly missed Cameron that year.  When he returned everything just clicked.  

I remember the Daily Record advert at the time was that 'You and Me Song' with footage of Scottish football "partnerships".  Ours was Cameron and Adam.  Was like a boot in the stones seeing it while he was out.  

****ing loved Mickey, you just can't easily replace what he brought to the team. 

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

He didn’t want Rudi 2nd time. Vlad forced that one on him IIRC. 
JJ’s team from late 90’s best Hearts team I’ve watched. A really attacking side and we genuinely tore teams up back then. Great times. Great man🥰

Салатные палочки
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

****ing loved Mickey, you just can't easily replace what he brought to the team. 

A player like him, Fulton and Hartley we would have to be extremely lucky to find or extremely rich to buy these days.  They just don't come along that often.  A player who will say to a defender "right give me the ball" and drive forward, making things happen.  

I listened to Hartley's Open Goal interview yesterday and we have to give Levein credit for turning him into the player he became for us.  That seems our only hope of finding a player as good as those three these days.  

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

A world basket ball champion he is 😂😂😂

On 22/02/2020 at 10:44, lou said:

A complete gem of a man, who makes me smile every time I see him or hear him, he seems to have the respect of the Hobo's as well, really looking forward to Monday

Just started watching the interview and had the same feelings as yourself.

Great guy.

23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He didn’t want Rudi 2nd time. Vlad forced that one on him IIRC. 

Thats what I recall. Jim's choice would have been much much worse. Can't remember who he wanted though.

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Thats what I recall. Jim's choice would have been much much worse. Can't remember who he wanted though.

JJ wanted a left back at the time