Jump to content
Space Pirate

We are not alone.... Maybe.

Recommended Posts

Space Pirate

I watched this a while ago and i've just watched it again. 

I find it hard to believe

but i also find it hard to believe that all these guys are lying. 

Take a look for yourself, Netflix. 

 

 

p14059673_v_v8_ab.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ferris Bueller

Gonna have a deek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

I watched this a while ago and i've just watched it again. 

I find it hard to believe

but i also find it hard to believe that all these guys are lying. 

Take a look for yourself, Netflix. 

 

 

p14059673_v_v8_ab.jpg

 

Maybe not lying, but possibly misled or misguided.

 

Some hard tangible evidence would be nice rather than grainy, blurry pictures and anecdotal stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

https://www.sciencealert.com/that-newly-discovered-repeating-frb-has-been-tracked-to-a-really-puzzling-origin

 

Read a comment about this earlier that it was just Aliens congratulating Phillip Schofield for coming out

 

The story talks about unexplained Fast Radio Bursts from a galaxy 500 million light years away.  Even if those FRBs are from an intelligent species, it doesn't matter as the source is incredibly far away. If they were intelligent then, they are almost certainly extinct now.

 

500 million years ago, the most advanced creatures on earth were tiny and didn't even possess a spine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke

Watching it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft
16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

 

The story talks about unexplained Fast Radio Bursts from a galaxy 500 million light years away.  Even if those FRBs are from an intelligent species, it doesn't matter as the source is incredibly far away. If they were intelligent then, they are almost certainly extinct now.

 

500 million years ago, the most advanced creatures on earth were tiny and didn't even possess a spine. 

Na, a Tesla could make it there in a couple of days.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lovecraft

I'm quite into the whole UFO/UAP stuff, but Greer is a dick.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk

Not convinced we will ever be visited by intelligent life. I honestly reckon that intelligent life is incredibly rare and any other life form with any degree of intelligence is so far away that ability to reach it would be impossible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gjcc
23 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not convinced we will ever be visited by intelligent life. I honestly reckon that intelligent life is incredibly rare and any other life form with any degree of intelligence is so far away that ability to reach it would be impossible. 


Plus we are complete arseholes, who’d want to meet us? Probably sit in the dark in their space ships pretending they’re not in when we come knocking. They’ll have their very own “Arsehole Neighbours” thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whodanny
7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

500 million years ago, the most advanced creatures on earth were tiny and didn't even possess a spine. 

I had no idea hibs were around then, the things you learn on kickback.

Edited by whodanny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boab

There is life out there but, like us, will have to see it out in splendid isolation.

Nearest star to us is just over 4 Light Years away. That’s travelling at 35,000 mph would take....72,000 years !

😎
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ
22 minutes ago, Boab said:

There is life out there but, like us, will have to see it out in splendid isolation.

Nearest star to us is just over 4 Light Years away. That’s travelling at 35,000 mph would take....72,000 years !

😎
 

A pedant writes:  The nearest star to us is just over 8 light-minutes away.....😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
55 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I had no idea hibs were around then, the things you learn on kickback.

You'll have heard of Area 5-1 surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, Boab said:

There is life out there but, like us, will have to see it out in splendid isolation.

Nearest star to us is just over 4 Light Years away. That’s travelling at 35,000 mph would take....72,000 years !

😎
 

Space is ****ing mind boggling. I love reading about it but it starts to get a bit overwhelming I think. There was a picture taken a few years ago that was a just a fraction of the sky and the amount of planets and stars and systems and universes in it just blew my mind. There simply must be life out there it’s literally impossible for there not to be but whether it’s all too far away or not is another thing. We need to learn how to use worm holes and stuff. That’s ****ing terrifying as well :lol: 

Its one of things that messes with my mind in that I’m going to be dead in a few more decades if I’m lucky and I’ll never know where this all goes. If we get off here in time and explore new worlds etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla

kxkU7k8nrCvcR8l6pF2TLrEQhhjnVSLSrzc8bfjj

 

I've seen and read a lot of stuff on space but this is still the most humbling image I've seen. We are nothing. If aliens found us then fair play to them but there's probably more interesting stuff out there for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

kxkU7k8nrCvcR8l6pF2TLrEQhhjnVSLSrzc8bfjj

 

I've seen and read a lot of stuff on space but this is still the most humbling image I've seen. We are nothing. If aliens found us then fair play to them but there's probably more interesting stuff out there for them. 

When I used to take a smoke years ago I loved watching stuff about it. You’re mind goes places on weed that it just doesnt normally. 
Truly mind boggling. Like you say we’re just nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boab
41 minutes ago, FWJ said:

A pedant writes:  The nearest star to us is just over 8 light-minutes away.....😉


touche !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hughesie27

The most sensible approach for humans is to assume that there is life elsewhere rather than the other way around. The odds are stacked in favour of their being something out there.

 

The chances of us ever finding out though are pretty much 0.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boab
33 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Space is ****ing mind boggling. I love reading about it but it starts to get a bit overwhelming I think. There was a picture taken a few years ago that was a just a fraction of the sky and the amount of planets and stars and systems and universes in it just blew my mind. There simply must be life out there it’s literally impossible for there not to be but whether it’s all too far away or not is another thing. We need to learn how to use worm holes and stuff. That’s ****ing terrifying as well :lol: 

Its one of things that messes with my mind in that I’m going to be dead in a few more decades if I’m lucky and I’ll never know where this all goes. If we get off here in time and explore new worlds etc. 


Scary indeed. Somewhere over the vast length of time, Someone out there  must have wondered the same but never had the time or technology to find out.

Fascinating but depressing !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, gjcc said:


Plus we are complete arseholes, who’d want to meet us? Probably sit in the dark in their space ships pretending they’re not in when we come knocking. They’ll have their very own “Arsehole Neighbours” thread. 

 

This.

 

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It was their attack signal, Schofields their leader. 

We're all getting bummed to death. 

 

:nojustno:

 

Not again? :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whodanny
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

You'll have heard of Area 5-1 surely?

Well played sir :clap: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Space is ****ing mind boggling. I love reading about it but it starts to get a bit overwhelming I think. There was a picture taken a few years ago that was a just a fraction of the sky and the amount of planets and stars and systems and universes in it just blew my mind. There simply must be life out there it’s literally impossible for there not to be but whether it’s all too far away or not is another thing. We need to learn how to use worm holes and stuff. That’s ****ing terrifying as well :lol: 

Its one of things that messes with my mind in that I’m going to be dead in a few more decades if I’m lucky and I’ll never know where this all goes. If we get off here in time and explore new worlds etc. 

 

Would that be where they left the Hubble telescope looking at a 'dark spot' (presumed empty) space in the sky for 100 hours and it came back with this (all of the blobs being galaxies):

 

5a1f1a2c3dbef482008b8ec4?width=1100&form

Edited by Ray Gin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk

Another question that needs to be asked is if there is intelligent life di we REALLY want to meet it? Stephen Hawking reckoned they would most likely be hostile and only interested in its resources and space. We only need to look at our own species for evidence of that trait in intelligent life. 

 

I I think we should leave well alone and concentrate our own efforts to build colonies on other planters ourselves and protect the only habitable planet we have ATM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

 

Would that be where they left the Hubble telescope looking at a 'dark spot' (presumed empty) space in the sky for 100 hours and it came back with this (all of the blobs being galaxies):

 

5a1f1a2c3dbef482008b8ec4?width=1100&form

That’s the one yeah. Incredible. 
Mind blown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

 

Would that be where they left the Hubble telescope looking at a 'dark spot' (presumed empty) space in the sky for 100 hours and it came back with this (all of the blobs being galaxies):

 

5a1f1a2c3dbef482008b8ec4?width=1100&form

 

That'll be the one, definitely. Astonishing stuff. Doesn't even make sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin

Yeah it hurts my brain to think about the sheer scale of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah it hurts my brain to think about the sheer scale of it.

It starts to overwhelm my brain when I think about it for too long. The explanations and scale just doesn’t seem real. How can anything possibly be this big...how can it have no end?😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redjambo
11 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

 

The story talks about unexplained Fast Radio Bursts from a galaxy 500 million light years away.  Even if those FRBs are from an intelligent species, it doesn't matter as the source is incredibly far away. If they were intelligent then, they are almost certainly extinct now.

 

500 million years ago, the most advanced creatures on earth were tiny and didn't even possess a spine. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ
40 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Another question that needs to be asked is if there is intelligent life di we REALLY want to meet it? Stephen Hawking reckoned they would most likely be hostile and only interested in its resources and space. We only need to look at our own species for evidence of that trait in intelligent life. 

 

I I think we should leave well alone and concentrate our own efforts to build colonies on other planters ourselves and protect the only habitable planet we have ATM

I remember reading a thing Patrick Moore wrote about potentially contacting / being contacted by aliens.  His take on it was they would be so far advanced they would wait until we could ‘take it’ rather than freak out our civilisation.  He also reckoned they would be peaceful or at least not intentionally hostile since, if they were aggressive and with highly advanced technology they would have destroyed themselves before they developed interstellar travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vegas-voss
11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not convinced we will ever be visited by intelligent life. I honestly reckon that intelligent life is incredibly rare and any other life form with any degree of intelligence is so far away that ability to reach it would be impossible. 

I'm more of the thinking we might have been but in ancient civilization times as I can't get my head round how they were able to build such structures and how we can't really figure out how they managed to do it.I think the Mayan God's might well have really just been visitors once.

 

Notice I say might in everything as I'm not totally convinced but anyway I think we have long been considered as a non threat and not worth bothering about if we have been visited and if they ever need our resources they will just come and take one day 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr 3 Putt

Love all this kind of stuff. There has to be something out there imo. Its so big it's scary to think that would be the only intelligent life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Costanza

What if we're the most intelligent and advanced life in the Universe?

In the future, will we be abducting farmhand Hicks from other worlds, assisting them a la Star Trek or blowing them to smithereens?

 

Of course the Great Filter theory suggests we'll destroy ourselves before we become interstellar anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

I'm more of the thinking we might have been but in ancient civilization times as I can't get my head round how they were able to build such structures and how we can't really figure out how they managed to do it.I think the Mayan God's might well have really just been visitors once.

 

Notice I say might in everything as I'm not totally convinced but anyway I think we have long been considered as a non threat and not worth bothering about if we have been visited and if they ever need our resources they will just come and take one day 😂

That's the sort of stuff the Ancient Aliens documentaries on The History Channel covers. You get some of them on YouTube if you haven't watched them, and of course if your're interested.  It all sounds reasonably plausible, or at least it did until they started talking about stuff like alien involvement in the wild west and the American Civil War and Nazi Germany experimenting with alien technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gjcc
38 minutes ago, Costanza said:

What if we're the most intelligent and advanced life in the Universe?

In the future, will we be abducting farmhand Hicks from other worlds, assisting them a la Star Trek or blowing them to smithereens?

 

Of course the Great Filter theory suggests we'll destroy ourselves before we become interstellar anyway.


Bagsy not doing the anal probes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vegas-voss
30 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

That's the sort of stuff the Ancient Aliens documentaries on The History Channel covers. You get some of them on YouTube if you haven't watched them, and of course if your're interested.  It all sounds reasonably plausible, or at least it did until they started talking about stuff like alien involvement in the wild west and the American Civil War and Nazi Germany experimenting with alien technology.

Had watched a few years ago never seen the US or Nazi Germany ones though 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff

I've always believed just on pure logic. There's an infinite number of Galaxy's in the Universe, there's probably 300milion planets minimum in a Galaxy. There is probably multiple universes.

 

We can't be the only lucky ones to have a planet based in the "goldilocks zone". There has to be others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla
31 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I've always believed just on pure logic. There's an infinite number of Galaxy's in the Universe, there's probably 300milion planets minimum in a Galaxy. There is probably multiple universes.

 

We can't be the only lucky ones to have a planet based in the "goldilocks zone". There has to be others.

 

I've always thought the same, but having looked into how utterly perfect everything had to fall into place for life to exist, not just on earth but through events on nearby planets, and even with those conditions how infinitesimally small the chance of life developing is, I'm not as convinced as I'd like to be. There's every chance we're the only ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wentworth jambo
7 hours ago, Boab said:

There is life out there but, like us, will have to see it out in splendid isolation.

Nearest star to us is just over 4 Light Years away. That’s travelling at 35,000 mph would take....72,000 years !

😎
 

If you think that less than 100 years ago, travelling in a plane at 500 mph seemed as foreign to our forebears as travelling faster than light speed seems to us now. I'm not saying that in 100 years we will be travelling faster than light, but we cannot constrain our thoughts by the physcial constraints of today....the bigger question has to be, why hasn't another further advanced civilisation made contact ? A good point raised further up that if, they are that advanced, they may choose the right moment so as not to "freak out" our civilisation. The one certainty is that as time advances, we will achieve interstellar travel - either with technology that cuts the journey time or by mastering stasis / "hibernation" during travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alwaysthereinspirit
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Space is ****ing mind boggling. I love reading about it but it starts to get a bit overwhelming I think. There was a picture taken a few years ago that was a just a fraction of the sky and the amount of planets and stars and systems and universes in it just blew my mind. There simply must be life out there it’s literally impossible for there not to be but whether it’s all too far away or not is another thing. We need to learn how to use worm holes and stuff. That’s ****ing terrifying as well :lol: 

Its one of things that messes with my mind in that I’m going to be dead in a few more decades if I’m lucky and I’ll never know where this all goes. If we get off here in time and explore new worlds etc. 

I think you could live another few centuries and still not have any real answers.

One fact for sure though is that Jack D is better with ginger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boab
Just now, wentworth jambo said:

If you think that less than 100 years ago, travelling in a plane at 500 mph seemed as foreign to our forebears as travelling faster than light speed seems to us now. I'm not saying that in 100 years we will be travelling faster than light, but we cannot constrain our thoughts by the physcial constraints of today....the bigger question has to be, why hasn't another further advanced civilisation made contact ? A good point raised further up that if, they are that advanced, they may choose the right moment so as not to "freak out" our civilisation. The one certainty is that as time advances, we will achieve interstellar travel - either with technology that cuts the journey time or by mastering stasis / "hibernation" during travel.

 Can’t see it. The distances are so vast that it’s an impossibility imo. We may receive some kind of signal. Problem is, it might have been sent a million years ago.

Mind boggling indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I think you could live another few centuries and still not have any real answers.

One fact for sure though is that Jack D is better with ginger.

Ginger beer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wentworth jambo
3 minutes ago, Boab said:

 Can’t see it. The distances are so vast that it’s an impossibility imo. We may receive some kind of signal. Problem is, it might have been sent a million years ago.

Mind boggling indeed.

Agree 1 million light years is a huge distance in any terms, however, it feels huge due to current constraints i.e. never happening if we travel at 35k mph. If wormhole travel is perfected for example, in theory that huge distance / time, could be crossed in a far shorter period. We know at present that theory supports wormholes however don;t see it happening any time soon - but it absolutely could in the future. I'm with you though mate, it is mind boggling ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alwaysthereinspirit
8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Ginger beer?

Ginger ale. Like Canada Dry. My drink of choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I've always believed just on pure logic. There's an infinite number of Galaxy's in the Universe, there's probably 300milion planets minimum in a Galaxy. There is probably multiple universes.

 

We can't be the only lucky ones to have a planet based in the "goldilocks zone". There has to be others.

 

There could well be countless planets in the Goldilocks zone, and those planets might be teeming with life.  But what kind of life could it be?

 

Our planet is 5 billion years old. For the first billion years there was no life.  For the next 3 billion years, life consisted only of single-cell organisms.  It then took a remarkable series of random events, including at least 5 mass extinctions of species, for an odd species of hairless apes called homo sapiens  to evolve. 

 

Even if there are many planets where life has evolved, the chances of there being a species similar to ourselves is vanishingly small ... with apologies to sci-fi lovers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alwaysthereinspirit
10 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Agree 1 million light years is a huge distance in any terms, however, it feels huge due to current constraints i.e. never happening if we travel at 35k mph. If wormhole travel is perfected for example, in theory that huge distance / time, could be crossed in a far shorter period. We know at present that theory supports wormholes however don;t see it happening any time soon - but it absolutely could in the future. I'm with you though mate, it is mind boggling ! 

1 light year is supposedly 6 TRILLION miles. Thats a crazy distance. Add that to your 1 million light years and it starts to sound impossible. 35,000mph is less than a million miles travelled in a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

 

 

Genuinely mind blowing these sorts of videos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlphonseCapone
17 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

 

There could well be countless planets in the Goldilocks zone, and those planets might be teeming with life.  But what kind of life could it be?

 

Our planet is 5 billion years old. For the first billion years there was no life.  For the next 3 billion years, life consisted only of single-cell organisms.  It then took a remarkable series of random events, including at least 5 mass extinctions of species, for an odd species of hairless apes called homo sapiens  to evolve. 

 

Even if there are many planets where life has evolved, the chances of there being a species similar to ourselves is vanishingly small ... with apologies to sci-fi lovers! 

 

All very true. But the problem is when we think about these things we are constrained by our own knowledge and experiences. Who is to say that intelligent life needs to be carbon based? There might be things out there we can't even comprehend currently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...