*** Heart Of Midlothian fc v Kilmarnock fc Official Matchday thread ***

Bazzas right boot

14 minutes ago, KillieMitch said:

Opposition view fron the train - 

Couldnt quite believe Stendel-ball when seeing it from the stand - when you see that defensive line from the view behind the goals it's insane how risky it is. 

Killie manager spoke about knowing how much space there would be in his post match interview. Could see a big shift in our attacking from Saturday t hit quick balls and exploit that. Made it very easy to set that team up. 

Bingo.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Francis Albert

• Suso Santana

• pettigrewsstylist

Bazzas right boot

We played reasonably well. 

Controlled large parts of the game, should have gone in front. 

The concerning thing is how easy teams score and create v us. 

Teams don't need to do much to score v us. 

The midfield needs to have more balance, defence far too exposed. 

Keeper is shite, doesn't save enough. End off, sick of this passing, sweeper keeper shite. He needs to stop shots. 

He just doesn't. 

White and Clare played very well. 

We could easily have won that but the conceding of goals is a concern. 

Jp needs dropped 

Edited by Smith's right boot

30 minutes ago, Bozi said:

That goalie is even worse than craig Nelson, that is not something I say lightly. Man United? Hes not good enough for Ayr United 

Dunbar utd mare like 🙈🤮🤮🤮👍

7 minutes ago, Gary Locke said:

How many times did our final ball let us down tonight, got into decent area then terrible cross, need to do some work on our final ball 1000%

Exactly found they where also  just to strong on the second ball , we need smith back ASAP and don’t get me started on that keeper , 

the Hearts way
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Keeper is shite, doesn't save enough. End off, sick of this passing, sweeper keeper shite. He needs to stop shots. 

He just doesn't. 

Couldn't agree more. 

Onwards and upwards HHGH 

Just home from the game, before killie scored we f-ing pounded them. First to every ball.. great to watch, Clare had half the pitch to himself at times. But then killie scored and it was them that got every ball first. 

Every pass we put forward was either punted past the intended target or hit with such force we couldn't control it. 

But the biggest thing for me was how weak our defense is. We seem to be scared to put our foot through the ball. Easily manhandled off the ball. To busy worrying about what the opposition are doing and not enough trying to win the ball. 

Keeper must be dropped and Zlamal brought in. 

It's going to be a battle to stay up... 

Edited by jumpship

Am I being daft in thinking that we should have 3 in centre midfield. One of them supporting the centre half's. 

Argued with a boy who was was saying it was all Clare and Whites fault. 

We seem wide open every single game. 

I've had a few beers and probably talking nonsense. 

portobellojambo1
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

He just doesn't. 

Jp needs dropped 

I also thought both of them played well when going forward, but when they do go forward we become very exposed at the back, which in turn means Souttar and Halkett are being pulled away from their central defensive positions, at times tonight we were playing with a back 2 instead of a back 4, and the back 2 weren't in their best positions.

pettigrewsstylist
34 minutes ago, weehammy said:

I’m afraid Herr Stendel needs a plan B. He is trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. The players we have are neither good enough nor savvy enough to employ his favoured tactic successfully. 

He needs to realise this by bedtime,, tonight. 

6 goals in two games and thats an escape tbh.

1 minute ago, jumpship said:

Just home from the game, before killie scored we f-ing pounded them. First to every ball.. great to watch, Clare had half the pitch to himself at times. But then killie scored and it was them that got every ball first. 

Every pass we put forward was either punted best the intended target or hit with such force we couldn't control it. 

But the biggest thing for me was how weak our defense is. We seem to be scared to put our foot through the ball. Easily manhandled off the ball. To busy worrying about what the opposition are doing and not enough trying to win the ball. 

Keeper must be dropped and Zlamal brought in. 

It's going to be a battle to stay up... 

in short, we were good up until 1-0. It was against the run of play. 

What would concern me is the way we lose composure, as we did at 1-0.  People will say that’s understandable for a bottom of the league team but we have players in there with good experience. It was always a joy many moons ago to see better Hearts teams keep their heads when they fell behind and show more desire, will to win intertwined with that vital element of composure. 

Now we end up all over the place. Where was the unity at the start of the 2nd half when we really needed it?  I honestly think too many players let us down mentally. 

It’s obvious that our defence are terrified of letting pereira have to make a save they try too hard they’re panicking. A decent keeper who can at least make a save once in a while would take the pressure of them. It’s now beyond serious. Embarrassing that It looks like FoH will have managed to save hearts and end up taking control just as we go back to the championship.

We had the same problem this season, all he needs to do is drop his defenders ten yards deeper when you don’t have the ball, to reduce the space in behind, but he refused to adjust and paid for it with his job. 

Tell you what, if we have to lose then I’d rather lose playing like that than surrendering meekly like we have over the past two years!

Kilmarnock’s 3 goals where defensive errors and pathetic goalkeeping it wasn’t good forward play by them imo .We need to get it sorted simple as .

Edited by One five

Keeper needs emptied. 

Defence need to find their intended target with a pass. too many cheap turn overs. 

Midfield tonight we’re bullied. Irvine, Moore and Henderson not at the races at all tonight. 

Boyce and Naismith crowded out as our only threats. 

plus points ... White did well, Walker improved us. Clare good going forward. 

We need Smith back, missed Sibbick and Perreira to be dropped. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Oh well so:

1. we haven’t turned a corner really

2. we can’t beat bottom 6 teams 

3. our home record hasn’t turned around

Its all a bit shit.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I also thought both of them played well when going forward, but when they do go forward we become very exposed at the back, which in turn means Souttar and Halkett are being pulled away from their central defensive positions, at times tonight we were playing with a back 2 instead of a back 4, and the back 2 weren't in their best positions.

Yip, them being the only wide option exposes us going forward. 

If they go forward then at least 1 midfielder needs to drop back. 

If they don't go forward tho, we'll have no width with this formation. 

I was v frustrated we didn’t make at least a double change at half time as how can DS think at 2-0 down what was on the pitch would be good enough to turn it around. IMHO Uchi should have been a cert to come on for Moore instead we kept it as is and carried on where we left off. Also thought Bozanic has been v unlucky not to start a game following his form against Rangers. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, TheGoodLord said:

I was v frustrated we didn’t make at least a double change at half time as how can DS think at 2-0 down what was on the pitch would be good enough to turn it around. IMHO Uchi should have been a cert to come on for Moore instead we kept it as is and carried on where we left off. Also thought Bozanic has been v unlucky not to start a game following his form against Rangers. 

yeah if you don’t change things at 2-0 down at home at half time it’s a bit questionable tactically IMO

3 minutes ago, One five said:

Kilmarnock’s 3 goals where defensive errors and pathetic goalkeeping it wasn’t good forward play by them imo .We need to get it sorted simple as .

And ours were things of beauty?

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Gerd Muller said:

Am I being daft in thinking that we should have 3 in centre midfield. One of them supporting the centre half's. 

Argued with a boy who was was saying it was all Clare and Whites fault. 

We seem wide open every single game. 

I've had a few beers and probably talking nonsense. 

Nah you're 100%.

If white and Clare are our wide options, then a sitting midfielder needs to drop back in making it a back 3. 

Also, only one should "bomb" forward at a time maybe, bit more understanding between defence and midfield. 

49 minutes ago, weehammy said:

I’m afraid Herr Stendel needs a plan B. He is trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. The players we have are neither good enough nor savvy enough to employ his favoured tactic successfully. 

Get what your saying. I suppose what I should have said was if you have the right players to make it work it can work

Point taken 

portobellojambo1
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, them being the only wide option exposes us going forward. 

If they go forward then at least 1 midfielder needs to drop back. 

If they don't go forward tho, we'll have no width with this formation. 

I do like the idea behind what he is trying to do, but it does need everyone on the park to be on their game. I also suspect it is the type of formation that might be easier to play in a league where the game is played a little more slowly and players have time to think about what they are going to do next. Maybe not best suited to Scottish football which is all played at 100 mph.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

For the first time after tonight’s result I’m afraid to say it looks like we’re getting relegated. 

Losing 3 goals at home to a poor Kilmarnock side? 6 in two games? 

This is is very frustrating as we’re playing some decent football & we have two top strikers but the lack of defence is absolute insanity in our league position. I think this was an off night but we can Ill afford any more off nights or we’re going down. It’s as simple as that.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I do like the idea behind what he is trying to do, but it does need everyone on the park to be on their game. I also suspect it is the type of formation that might be easier to play in a league where the game is played a little more slowly and players have time to think about what they are going to do next. Maybe not best suited to Scottish football which is all played at 100 mph.

Also the point of actually getting ahead and scoring first, then maybe if we do that we can drop back a bit and dictate the tempo. 

We cannot give the ball away cheaply when we're attacking as we have so many men forward it leaves us exposed. One pass or punt forward and they're in behind us. 

Thought we over played at times,  especially when on top in the first half. Continuing to try thread balls through the crowded Kilmarnock defensive/midfield. Need to mix it up and have more strikes at go from outside the 18 yard box. Can only recall Irving and Henderson trying this although Henderson second attempt at this was woeful. Irving had more opportunities to try but elected to pass wide or try the previous mentioned threaded pass. Still Irving was attempting to make things happen. 

Killie were happy to give us the width and kept themselves compact. Moore and Henderson were not any real threat or quality and was surprised that one or both were not hooked at half time. We needed better quality out wide,  Walker showed that a little when he came on. Also Killies height, at least seven were 6ft plus, was always going to prove difficult to deal with at set pieces. As well as making them comfortable with crosses into the box. 

Our front men did not link up well enough,  Boyce and Naismith both guilty. Naismith done better though at CDM than Langer but his distribution was off. Langer looked like someone who was stepping up a level,  fitness wise especially. 

We do look a threat and was always confident we would score goals,  even at 3 down. But we need to find a balance, don't give cheap possession away and score when we're on top. 

56 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think he will change it tbh. 

Maybe it's just that Halkett and Souttar aren't good enough to defend this way. 🤷 

Gut feeling is that he won’t either

The full backs as well can be an issue if they are far up the park when we lose the ball

Killie game is gone. We need to go to Falkirk, teach them a lesson, and get the confidence back as we have crunch games coming up afterwards 

5 minutes ago, Deans Jambo said:

We cannot give the ball away cheaply when we're attacking as we have so many men forward it leaves us exposed. One pass or punt forward and they're in behind us. 

Thought we over played at times,  especially when on top in the first half. Continuing to try thread balls through the crowded Kilmarnock defensive/midfield. Need to mix it up and have more strikes at go from outside the 18 yard box. Can only recall Irving and Henderson trying this although Henderson second attempt at this was woeful. Irving had more opportunities to try but elected to pass wide or try the previous mentioned threaded pass. Still Irving was attempting to make things happen. 

Killie were happy to give us the width and kept themselves compact. Moore and Henderson were not any real threat or quality and was surprised that one or both were not hooked at half time. We needed better quality out wide,  Walker showed that a little when he came on. Also Killies height, at least seven were 6ft plus, was always going to prove difficult to deal with at set pieces. As well as making them comfortable with crosses into the box. 

Our front men did not link up well enough,  Boyce and Naismith both guilty. Naismith done better though at CDM than Langer but his distribution was off. Langer looked like someone who was stepping up a level,  fitness wise especially. 

We do look a threat and was always confident we would score goals,  even at 3 down. But we need to find a balance, don't give cheap possession away and score when we're on top. 

Can’t argue with this. Good post.

Central Belt 1874
16 minutes ago, c41rns said:

Keeper needs emptied. 

Defence need to find their intended target with a pass. too many cheap turn overs. 

Midfield tonight we’re bullied. Irvine, Moore and Henderson not at the races at all tonight. 

Boyce and Naismith crowded out as our only threats. 

plus points ... White did well, Walker improved us. Clare good going forward. 

We need Smith back, missed Sibbick and Perreira to be dropped. 

Spot on. 

Stendal has fallen into the Levien trap of playing a lightweight inexperienced midfield. 3 players who couldn't hold down regular places out on loan at lower league teams. Tonight was an utter joke. Amazed Irving stayed on the pitch, his poorest performance in a while. 

Stendal has much thinking to do before our next league game. 

10 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

For the first time after tonight’s result I’m afraid to say it looks like we’re getting relegated. 

This is is very frustrating as we’re playing some decent football & we have two top strikers but the lack of defence is absolute insanity in our league position. I think this was an off night but we can Ill afford any more off nights or we’re going down. It’s as simple as that.

Up until now I always thought that we would get out of this mess because we had a transfer window in January. So, we changed the manager, brought in new players, changed the system, we do play much better football, just look at tonight's first 20 mins which was great, but we've rolled the dice and are still getting beaten and are back at the bottom of the league. For the first time I'm seriously worried about going down 

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah you're 100%.

If white and Clare are our wide options, then a sitting midfielder needs to drop back in making it a back 3. 

Also, only one should "bomb" forward at a time maybe, bit more understanding between defence and midfield. 

I'll be surprised if we stay up the way we are playing. We need to be solid from the back first and control the game and not be too gung ho. I'm loving the change of style but we need to stop conceding goals to make it work. 

Even against Rangers, they had 3 clear 1 on 1s. We got away with it tho. 2nd half against St J was brutal. 

Fozzyonthefence
26 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

We had the same problem this season, all he needs to do is drop his defenders ten yards deeper when you don’t have the ball, to reduce the space in behind, but he refused to adjust and paid for it with his job. 

That sounds ominous to be honest.  Been a number of posts on here concerned that he has no Plan B and it sounds like you’ve just confirmed it!

He needs time admittedly but doesn’t really have it and I read earlier that Stendel now has only one league win in his last 19 (including Barnsley), ironically against Rangers, although our defence was creaking a bit that day too despite them being shite.

I can see him paying for his stubbornness with his job here too by the end of the season. Hope I’m wrong but I have a bad feeling.

16 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Spot on. 

Stendal has fallen into the Levien trap of playing a lightweight inexperienced midfield. 3 players who couldn't hold down regular places out on loan at lower league teams. Tonight was an utter joke. Amazed Irving stayed on the pitch, his poorest performance in a while. 

Stendal has much thinking to do before our next league game. 

He got man of the match though.......:whistling:

When you tell the whole world your tactics they have time to work it out

Unless you vary those tactics you will be found out

We are being found out and with, sorry to say everything I said about the keeper coming true, the results are no surprise.

I believe the players are there but we cannot get caught up in another dogma crisis re the playing style...the style only works if you have the players to play in that manner. 

So change something Mr Stendel or you'll be gone by the summer

This is not just a reaction to the result..look at my previous posts on this matter. Too many are going on blind faith when the evidence is lacking to give anyone that faith

If you  team contains players like Pereira and White you are on a slippery slope..and I know White can have the odd good game but as a defender I have my doubts

So make changes , hope your full backs get fit quickly and I still think we can survive…...change nothing and we are going down

8 minutes ago, One five said:

Fair point I, was simply talking about our biggest problem.

Edited by TheGoodLord

Periera and Souttar were appalling tonight. When we play this system that simply is asking for what happened. Against a mediocre Kilmarnock team who just hoofed it . Very worrying.

against sevco Souttar was immense so it’s worrying how inconsistency from even one player can make it crumble. The keeper of course is going through a nightmare . 
Let’s face it Tommy Wright and Alex Dyer are hardly tactical geniuses and yet have put 3 past us each ( in Wrights case could’ve been 6). 

3 minutes ago, TheGoodLord said:

Well it is our biggest problem right now you’re 100% right. Most goals are ultimately caused by an error somewhere along the way in the not through free flowing glorious play so teams which make the fewest errors invariably put themselves in with the biggest chance of winning. 

Exactly and we made to many errors .

So,

1. our goalie is shit

2. Souter has had two nightmares in a row 

3. Clare and White were our best two players, imo, but neither seem to be playing as a full back 

4. game passed Langer by

5. Henderson and Moore were ok but we need to be better than just ok

6. at times we seem to be playing a 2-2-6 formation. In this league that is suicidal (and, no, I’m not going to apologise for using that word)

7. Our goalie is shit

This is what worries me....his comments after we were 3 down...Sorry but it is exactly how we should have played

"It was a crazy game after this and maybe for the supporters it was intensive. For me, it was not how we want to play'

Then for the second game in a row he comments about the defence and not being sure of exactly what has gone wrong...

'It is hard for me to explain what happened. To concede three goals against Kilmarnock is not what we expected.' 

You are being paid for solutions...adapt or die (in a footballing sense)

57 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Gut feeling is that he won’t either

The full backs as well can be an issue if they are far up the park when we lose the ball

Killie game is gone. We need to go to Falkirk, teach them a lesson, and get the confidence back as we have crunch games coming up afterwards 

Full backs are getting caught out of position because we get turned over too easily but with no sitting midfielders, we're dreadfully exposed. Halkett and Souttar aren't quick enough to recover. 

Agree, I think we're lucky we have Falkirk next tbh. If we went straight to Celtic Park and got a roasting, that would put us back to where we started. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

Full backs are getting caught out of position because we get turned over too easily but with no sitting midfielders, we're dreadfully exposed. Halkett and Souttar aren't quick enough to recover. 

Agree, I think we're lucky we have Falkirk next tbh. If we went straight to Celtic Park and got a roasting, that would put us back to where we started. 

The thing is he'll change the side/formation/style for Celtic away despite telling us there will be no change to the playing style so if he can do it for that he can change for other matches and stop being dogmatic in his approach

Just now, CJGJ said:

The thing is he'll change the side/formation/style for Celtic away despite telling us there will be no change to the playing style so if he can do it for that he can change for other matches and stop being dogmatic in his approach

He has to. 

I believe Stendel’s the right man and doing the right thing, we need wins but he needs to reign it in a bit with the gung Ho approach. 

We were 2-1 up at halftime v St Johnstone. We should come out and controlled the game, kept possession. All we needed was another goal. Make them work hard and we'll hit them on the break or score late on when they tire. Instead we went baws out second half. 

It was the same tonight. First 20 minutes we're brilliant and then we start blowing out our arses. We need to have periods when we keep the ball and fall back a bit, bring the opposition out. 

Tbf. Against Celtic we will get more space because they play to win so it will be end to end but their superior quality will beat us if we go toe to toe with them. So he has to have a plan B for Darkheid. I think at the very least, play with a holding midfielder in a 4-3-3, it's an absolute must. Guys like Christie, Eduoard, McGregor will have a feckin field day if they are granted that much space between our defence and Midfield. 

Does stendel consider the opposition and use tactics? I’m not sure. Killie were always going to sit tight and hit us on the break - no surprises there. We simply didn’t know how to adapt to them going ahead. I love the attacking bit but the rest seems schoolboy stuff 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I’ve been here for a while now. I’ve thought it might’ve been too late and even said I’d probably accept the play off when people were suggesting we were about to go on some crazy run that propel us up the league. 
If nothing else it’s brought a cold reality to some sections of the support. 
We can’t afford to lose many more games that’s for sure. 
I reckon we lose another couple and it likely curtains. 

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve been here for a while now. I’ve thought it might’ve been too late and even said I’d probably accept the play off when people were suggesting we were about to go on some crazy run that propel us up the league. 
If nothing else it’s brought a cold reality to some sections of the support. 
We can’t afford to lose many more games that’s for sure. 
I reckon we lose another couple and it likely curtains. 

Surely we can afford to lose another couple of our last 13 games?!  Hamilton and St Mirren will lose way more than that and we’re only 1 point behind Hamilton.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Surely we can afford to lose another couple of our last 13 games?!  Hamilton and St Mirren will lose way more than that and we’re only 1 point behind Hamilton.

How many are we going to win though? We’re beating nobody barring what looks a bit of a flukey win against Rangers.