Christophe Berra

mscjambo

pettigrewsstylist
9 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I think DS knows what his budget is and doesnt want to waste it so he will be more careful than many posters would be with regards to signings.

We cant get this wrong.

What makes you think he knows what his budget is?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Spoleto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I think Stendel would have told him tbf.

He doesn't seem to mind offending people, which could explain Joey Barton punching him in the puss....!

Hope so.

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

What makes you think he knows what his budget is?

You think DS doesnt know what he has to spend and what he has in available wages like? Of course he knows.

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, jake said:

Stendal hasn't got time to muck about..

Whichever way hes doing it will be judged by what we get on the pitch.

👍

What is the MO though not just at Hearts but any club with an SD, remembering CL and AMcP are covering the role jointly in the interim?

Stendel discusses with the SD first what he is wanting and it is agreed who discusses the exit strategy with the out going players or Stendel goes straight to the outgoing players and then informs the SD to manage the person out of the club?

Personally, I think the SD should be aware of the managers intentions, with the manager giving the initial football message to the player before the SD manages the exit strategy with the player and his agent, keeping the manager up to date with the progress.

Under that approach what certainly cannot happen and I'm not saying this is happening but could be a risk is that the SD 'tips off' the player ahead of the manager.

6 hours ago, The Duke said:

No problem with Berra being told he’s free to go but can’t understand forcing him to train with the reserves, if he doesn’t move on in the window and we get a few injuries we might end up needing him as cover. He’s a first team player and should be treated as one regardless of any politics.

Heard last night that on the Sunday the news was broken to Berra it was actually left to Levein to tell him. Not sure if that has already been discussed on the thread but that’s poor from Stendel. 

Well CL unnecessarily gave Berra a new deal so I have no problem with him being the one to tell him he’s available for transfer.

I hope CL has meetings set up this week for Zlamal, Doyle, Uche and handful of others.

Edited by DH1986

Leveins Battalion

Wow!

Hearts fans using this thread to defend Levein and attack Stendel.

What a weird bunch.No wonder every other team rips the piss out us.

It would have been better if Berra had been told face to face, but it just underlines the chaotic structure Budge has put in place. A Sporting Director job share, neither of whom are allowed at the training centre when the first team is there, and Stendel having to work with the people who made the mess he is tasked with cleaning up. CL and AM have skin in the game, which makes the new manager's job harder, at a time when we need everyone at the club to be pulling in the same direction.

Edited by fancy a brew

jamboinglasgow

Reminds me what someone posted on a thread a week or two about Levein and Ann.

They said that when Ann relieved Levein of his position she said told him that he was going to have to tell people that they are off as it was his mess so he would need to clear that up. Sounds like then that was true.

Though I can imagine Berra would still complain if Stendel did it to his face.

Not how a legend should have been dealt with but Stendel needs to focus 100% on getting a team on the park to keep us up. 
that means getting new players in, getting current players fit (unfortunately appears to be needed) showing them how he wants them to play. 
it hasn’t been possible to get a full management team in immediately for the reasons stated so it needs to be delegated somewhere or we lose out on progress in his key areas. I personally think let him get on with his priorities. 

Ex member of the SaS

You have to remember it's only Berra's side of the story. No saying he is lying, but being economical with the truth maybe? Always three sides, Berra's, the club's and the truth somewhere in the middle.

3 minutes ago, Sid said:

Not how a legend should have been dealt with but Stendel needs to focus 100% on getting a team on the park to keep us up. 
that means getting new players in, getting current players fit (unfortunately appears to be needed) showing them how he wants them to play. 
it hasn’t been possible to get a full management team in immediately for the reasons stated so it needs to be delegated somewhere or we lose out on progress in his key areas. I personally think let him get on with his priorities. 

I would hardly put Berra in the legend category. Yes maybe he could have been dealt with a bit more sympathetically but he's not a legend.

I really hope Berra gets a decent team. Has a few years left career wise so hopefully things go well. Will always be a jambo in my eyes and I wish him well 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, jake said:

Stendal hasn't got time to muck about..

Whichever way hes doing it will be judged by what we get on the pitch.

Correct, Levein has far more important things to do than console Berra.

Still no sign of berra moving on. Is there any substance to the rumour that when his contract was extended by a year that there also was the promise of a Testimonial?

On 12/01/2020 at 16:18, Baxfee said:

I really hope Berra gets a decent team. Has a few years left career wise so hopefully things go well. Will always be a jambo in my eyes and I wish him well 

This

5 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Still no sign of berra moving on. Is there any substance to the rumour that when his contract was extended by a year that there also was the promise of a Testimonial?

He’ll sit tight Incase we don’t start winning games and end up sacking Stendel. New manager might fancy him.

On 12/01/2020 at 07:57, The Duke said:

No problem with Berra being told he’s free to go but can’t understand forcing him to train with the reserves, if he doesn’t move on in the window and we get a few injuries we might end up needing him as cover. He’s a first team player and should be treated as one regardless of any politics.

Heard last night that on the Sunday the news was broken to Berra it was actually left to Levein to tell him. Not sure if that has already been discussed on the thread but that’s poor from Stendel. 

Frankly given the situation we are in I hope Stendel is focussing on the first team and not getting involved in the cleanup - thought that was the justification for Laurel and Hardys' continued prescence. Let them clean up their own mess and DS focus on getting us up the table.

Byyy The Light
8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He’ll sit tight Incase we don’t start winning games and end up sacking Stendel. New manager might fancy him.

Wouldn’t surprise me

I don't want Berra to go tbh. 

Its pure sentimentality but I want to see him turn it around. That injury halved the player he was and I'm hoping it was Levein and his teams shady approach to man management - encouraging playing with niggles etc. that has been the issue. Perhaps a sustained period out might offer him the chance to recover properly. There is an absolute reek of a lack of professionalism around Hearts playing staff and maybe with Stendel we might see a positive improvement on this across the board with things like nutrition and training.

He's not getting any younger though, and I fully expect any likelihood of pre-injury Berra coming back is nigh on impossible. :( 

I'm glad Stendel doesn't have any emotional connection and can make these decisions. Best way forward sadly.

Weakened Offender
On 12/01/2020 at 12:34, martoon said:

Hope it is. 

a) Levein, suddenly, from nowhere, actually has a usefulness, 

b) Imagine the red kip of being made to shovel his own shite out the door (although I would exempt Berra from that). 

I would've as well, right up to your point where I watched Berra's interview. 

**** him. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/daniel-stendel-reveals-ann-budge-talks-he-axed-hearts-captain-christophe-berra-1367512

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel revealed that he consulted owner Ann Budge before telling captain Christophe Berra to find a new club.

The German said he held talks with Budge on the subject and that he wants Berra to decide where his future lies.

The 34-year-old defender was told at the start of last week that he is surplus to requirements under Stendel. He is now seeking a move before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

"I spoke with Christophe to explain our feeling, that it would be difficult for him to play as many games as he expected," said the manager. "He is the skipper of the team and I wanted to give him the chance to think about the situation, what he wants.

"He’s done so much for this club that I don’t want him to not be in the squad at the weekend – and everyone is asking why not. I want that he can decide what he wants.

"He wants to play but the chance is not so high that he will play for us in the second half of the season. I think that he’s not happy. That’s normal, but I can only say that we tried to give him respect.

"I had a long talk with Ann before we made the decision. It wasn’t so easy. From our side, we want to get the best solution for both sides."

Hearts officials have contacted a number of clubs in an attempt to help Berra get a move quickly. Asked why the Scotland internationalist is now training with the reserves at Riccarton, Stendel gave a frank explanation.

"When you say 'you don't play more and you're no longer the skipper' this is the situation," he replied. "If your boss says you no longer work but you're next to those who are, it's no good for either. We haven't said he needed to train with the reserves - he wanted to train with the reserves. We want to find the best solution.

"We have 12 days but at the moment I have no news from him, whether he wants to stay or play for another club. In the end, this isn't my job. I've had a talk with him but he will decide with the club."

jack D and coke

Puts a hugely different slant on it that does. 
Makes Berra and others at the club look like mischief makers imo. 
Its annoyed me that the club haven’t publicly backed him. I hope he knows the fans do.  

Coburg Hearts
5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Why do I get the impression that this is what you're hoping for?

4 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Why do I get the impression that this is what you're hoping for?

Sharely nobody wants that.

I was fully behind Levein right up till the end as I was with Cathro and all the other managers we've had. Can't understand anyone not being 100% behind Stendel now that he is the manager.

Unless..........   :stitch:

Edited by graygo

Coburg Hearts
Just now, graygo said:

Sharely nobody wants that.

I was fully behind Levein right up till the end as I was with Cathro and all the other managers we've had. Can't understand anyone not being 100% behind Stendel now that he is the manager.

You would certainly hope so.

1 minute ago, Coburg Hearts said:

You would certainly hope so.

I lied about Cathro, wanted him gone just as much as anyone else but it suited my argument, ;) 

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/daniel-stendel-reveals-ann-budge-talks-he-axed-hearts-captain-christophe-berra-1367512

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel revealed that he consulted owner Ann Budge before telling captain Christophe Berra to find a new club.

The German said he held talks with Budge on the subject and that he wants Berra to decide where his future lies.

The 34-year-old defender was told at the start of last week that he is surplus to requirements under Stendel. He is now seeking a move before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

"I spoke with Christophe to explain our feeling, that it would be difficult for him to play as many games as he expected," said the manager. "He is the skipper of the team and I wanted to give him the chance to think about the situation, what he wants.

"He’s done so much for this club that I don’t want him to not be in the squad at the weekend – and everyone is asking why not. I want that he can decide what he wants.

"He wants to play but the chance is not so high that he will play for us in the second half of the season. I think that he’s not happy. That’s normal, but I can only say that we tried to give him respect.

"I had a long talk with Ann before we made the decision. It wasn’t so easy. From our side, we want to get the best solution for both sides."

Hearts officials have contacted a number of clubs in an attempt to help Berra get a move quickly. Asked why the Scotland internationalist is now training with the reserves at Riccarton, Stendel gave a frank explanation.

"When you say 'you don't play more and you're no longer the skipper' this is the situation," he replied. "If your boss says you no longer work but you're next to those who are, it's no good for either. We haven't said he needed to train with the reserves - he wanted to train with the reserves. We want to find the best solution.

"We have 12 days but at the moment I have no news from him, whether he wants to stay or play for another club. In the end, this isn't my job. I've had a talk with him but he will decide with the club."

We haven't said he needed to train with the reserves - he wanted to train with the reserves.

I look forward to apologies from the nay-sayers on here who so quickly jumped to defend Berra and criticise DSs lack of class in this matter. 

Coburg Hearts
1 minute ago, graygo said:

I lied about Cathro, wanted him gone just as much as anyone else but it suited my argument, ;) 

Cathro must be rated a top coach when you consider who he was/is with pre and post Hearts.

Just a shame he was no good as a manager or head coach.

2 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Cathro must be rated a top coach when you consider who he was/is with pre and post Hearts.

Smashed it everywhere else and to be fair he was almost universally hailed as an inspired appointment when he came to us, just didn't have the man management skills required to be the main man.

Coburg Hearts
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Smashed it everywhere else and to be fair he was almost universally hailed as an inspired appointment when he came to us, just didn't have the man management skills required to be the main man.

That's it in a nutshell.

We took the plunge on Cathro and got crucified.

We didn't take the plunge on Shankland and got crucified.

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

He’s not really a coach, more of an analyst. Setting up training, looking a videos of the opposition. He proved with us he couldn’t actually coach the players to do anything, a bit like Macphee. 

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

That's it in a nutshell.

We took the plunge on Cathro and got crucified.

We didn't take the plunge on Shankland and got crucified.

We took the plunge on Levein/Macphee/Wighton/Oshiniwa/Sammon/Martin/Tzolis/Whelan/Vanacek etc etc etc and got burned and lost a hell a lot of money into the bargain.

7 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Certainly puts a different look on things!

IMO, when CL bought Halkett, I really thought his intention for the defensive pairing was Halkett and Souter. It’s plain to see that Berra has lost something this season. 

he’s been a good servant to Hearts. 

16 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

So big bad stendal didnt banish him to the reserves.

Interesting. 

No... article actually reads as if he was going to a squad/back-up player. Probably stung a bit. But the right move from DS never the less. 

1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

No... article actually reads as if he was going to a squad/back-up player. Probably stung a bit. But the right move from DS never the less

100%

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We took the plunge on Levein/Macphee/Wighton/Oshiniwa/Sammon/Martin/Tzolis/Whelan/Vanacek etc etc etc and got burned and lost a hell a lot of money into the bargain.

All fair, but for balance in the past 5 years we are on a positive amount for transfer fees. 

Technically we haven't lost money, we are making a profit. 

Wasted maybe, lost nope. 

Just now, Dallas Green said:

So big bad stendal didnt banish him to the reserves.

Interesting. 

Good statement from DS.

We don’t need any distractions. We move on and CB should too.

Nice of Berra to correct the press that it was HIS decision to train with the reserves and he wasn’t banished like was published!!!!!

The Treasurer
42 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

All fair, but for balance in the past 5 years we are on a positive amount for transfer fees. 

Technically we haven't lost money, we are making a profit. 

Wasted maybe, lost nope. 

I suspect if you take wages into account we probably have lost money on the shite that Levein has stockpiled over the last couple of years

41 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Nice of Berra to correct the press that it was HIS decision to train with the reserves and he wasn’t banished like was published!!!!!

Bit late to be honest. 

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I suspect if you take wages into account we probably have lost money on the shite that Levein has stockpiled over the last couple of years

Every club in the world has. 

Hard to make money paying wages tbh. 

Bazzas right boot

DS doing things right. 

Also seems like he makes the decision then moves on. 

The mules do the work. 

Nice change, accountability and let's him focus on football. 

Wee Alan Lawrence not happy with Berra being found out and dropped.  Said the Airdrie strikers would have fancied it if Berra was still playing.

15 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Bit late to be honest. 

If only he had done it though.

was happy to throw Stendel under a bus.

7 minutes ago, Cliffundo said:

Wee Alan Lawrence not happy with Berra being found out and dropped.  Said the Airdrie strikers would have fancied it if Berra was still playing.

Did Lawrence say why he didn't have the bottle to take a penalty in the Henry Dens 4-4 League cup game?

😠

1 minute ago, Coco said:

Did Lawrence say why he didn't have the bottle to take a penalty in the Henry Dens 4-4 League cup game?

😠

Na, he declined to answer that and just wanted to concentrate on Berra :)