Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

King prawn
17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Perhaps not, but all of the other Asian countries are reporting less deaths than the UK and use of facemasks in these areas is common.

Key word. Reporting. Spain probably has the same number of cases as the UK and we’ve had to wear masks inside and most people have worn them outside since the beginning. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weakened Offender
14 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Just had a confirmation e-mail that our holiday park bar and restaurant and night time entertainment venue(with light entertainment) are opening on Saturday. 

You need to book in advance with table service for the restaurant and an app for ordering drinks in the entertainment venue.

I was really looking forward to this but I'm starting to feel a wee bit nervous.

The park is full of Geordies.  Sunderland and Gateshead are on the list of 36 hotspots for covid

Scared to travel to England and be amongst the English now. Amazing. 😁

26 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

So you think they are making it harder to get customers in their store now is a financial decision?

No idea what's driving it. But it's not people's well being or they'd have acted faster at the start of this and have been requesting masks be worn throughout if they think they're important. Unless I've missed something, a mask is still the same as it was back in March.

Edited by Taffin

Weakened Offender
16 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Claustrophobia, perfect excuse. I would have a full blown panick attack if I wore a mask over my face. . And I have already stated, a million times it feels like,  that I won't be going on public transport again until as long as it is a mandatory requirement. 

Tell me how I am selfish in that regards?

You are a rambling contradiction on this thread. Utterly bizarre behaviour. 

24 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Don’t be so ignorant!!

too many people have died from this - you should be ashamed!

Wear face mask on public transport or in crowded areas- no excuse not to mate!

Surely you shouldn't be in a crowded area in the first place? The guidance is still to remain distanced. If you choose to ignore that you have nobody to blame but yourself; people shouldn't be forced to wear masks to protect those around them of those around them are choosing to not social distance.

I make no apologies for posting such a long piece of advice from the NHS (Scotland).  
Masks work (if used properly) 

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
NEW PPE GUIDANCE ABOUT FRSM:

SBAR:
" Title; Use of FRSM in Hospital Date; 29/06/2020 

Situation Scottish Government Guidance on the use of face masks and face coverings has changed to reflect advice issued by the World Health Organisation. 

Background Although the number of new cases of COVID-19 has decreased and remains low, the UK and NHS Lothian is still considered to be in a period of sustained community transmission. Precautions to minimise risk of transmission, including the use of PPE, therefore remain in place. 
It is now recommended that staff working in a clinical area of an acute hospital should wear a face mask at all times throughout their shift. 
Extended mask usage is intended to further protect patients and members of the public, as well as hospital staff from transmission of the virus from asymptomatic carriers or from those individuals who are infectious prior to showing symptoms (presymptomatic infection). 
This means that FRSMs will be worn throughout the shift, but can be removed and replaced as necessary (washing your hands before the mask is removed), and as recommended during the shift, including e.g. if it becomes contaminated, damaged or moist. 

Assessment
• All staff are to wear FRSM in clinical and public areas, including corridors 

• Masks can be ordered via Pecos or obtained from the Site & Capacity Team. 

The main change is that all clinical staff and all non-clinical staff who are ward-based (e.g. domestic staff, administrative staff) are now asked to wear a surgical mask at all times during their shift. 
Staff who do not work within a clinical/care area (e.g. offices, shops, canteen staff within hospitals) should not in general be required to wear a surgical face mask on the premises as; long as they are able to maintain a 2 metre physical distance. 
Where any staff are unable to maintain 2 metre physical distance from others, they should use a surgical face mask. 

Staff are not required to wear a surgical face mask during mealtimes in staff restaurants/ staff rooms or when in changing rooms but should observe 2 metre physical distancing at all times. 
Masks are not required in non-clinical work spaces (e.g. offices) where 2 metre physical distancing can be achieved. 
Patients attending out-patient areas who do not have a face covering should be offered a mask for the duration of their appointment/ hospital attendance, PPE stations have been set at the entrance to Outpatient building, ADB, AFB and RVB 
If a mask is removed for any reason, it should be disposed of in the correct waste bin, hand hygiene undertaken and another mask put on. 
There may be staff members who experience breathing difficulties or who suffer from genuine discomfort or distress when wearing a facemask. Any member of staff who have concerns should discuss these with their line manager in the first instance. 

RECOMMENDATION
Please wear a FRSM when in all clinical areas and hospital premises where 2m social distancing cannot be achieved. 
FAQ. Guide for further information;-"

FAQ:

"20200626 FAQ Extended use of FRSM v1.0
Frequently asked questions- Interim guidance on the wider use of face masks and face coverings in health and social care: June 26th 2020
1. Why has the guidance changed?
There is new and emerging scientific evidence about the risk of spread of COVID-19 from people who are not displaying any symptoms but can still be infectious- either because they have the virus but have not yet become unwell –‘pre-symptomatic’-or because they are carrying the virus and have no symptoms – ‘asymptomatic’ .
Because it is often difficult in hospitals and other residential care settings such as care homes to maintain physical distancing – there is a risk that the infection can be spread from staff to staff.
The patients and residents in our hospitals and care homes are often very vulnerable to infection because of underlying illness or age.
The extended use of masks by health and social care workers is designed to protect staff and patients.
2. I am a ‘clinical’ member of staff and I work in a hospital – but not in a ward – do I have to wear a mask?
You should wear a mask at all times when you are working in a ward, clinic or other department where patients are present.
If you work in an office, or other non clinical area where there are no patients, AND you can maintain 2m physical distancing from others in that area – you do not have to wear a mask.
If you are not able to maintain 2m physical distancing from others – you should wear a mask.
3. I am not clinical – but I work in a ward- do I have to wear a mask?
You should wear a mask at all times when you are working in a ward, clinic or other department where patients are present.
You are encouraged to wear a mask in corridors and other public spaces in hospitals and care homes where it is not always possible to observe physical distancing measures.
4. I work part of my day in a ward or clinic, and part of the day elsewhere – do I still have to wear my mask “throughout my shift”?
As above - you should wear a mask at all times when you are working in a ward, clinic or other department where patients are present.
If you are not able to maintain 2m physical distancing from others in non clinical areas– you should wear a mask
You are encouraged to wear a mask in corridors and other public spaces in hospitals and care homes where it is not always possible to observe physical distancing measures.
20200626 FAQ Extended use of FRSM v1.0
5. I am based in an office – do I have to wear a mask?
If you work in an office, or other non clinical area where there are no patients AND you can maintain 2m physical distancing from others in that area – you do not have to wear a mask.
6. Why does this change only apply in hospital and care home settings? I work in a GP practice or in the community – do I have to wear a mask?
The greatest risk of outbreaks and staff to staff transmission has so far been observed in hospital and care home settings. Therefore the extended use of face masks has been targeted to these care settings at present.
The existing UK guidance on use of PPE still applies in GP practice and community settings, and in practice this means that any clinical staff treating patients should wear a face mask (and gloves, apron and eye protection if appropriate to the task) and follow good hand hygiene practices.
If any staff (e.g. reception staff) are unable to maintain 2m physical distance from patients or other staff, they should wear a face mask.
7. LUCS are a primary care service who work out of hospital outpatient departments do these staff have to wear a mask?
All patients, visitors and other staff using these departments will be advised to wear masks.
Therefore we are asking all clinical staff who work from a hospital base to follow the guidance and wear masks as outlined above.
In general, there are higher numbers of staff and patients in hospital settings than in GP or other community premises, so there is a greater opportunity for spread of infection in this context.
Different practices in the same building are also likely to lead to confusion and concern for patients, visitors and staff.
8. Do the receptionists and clinicians have to wear masks at all times in the outpatient departments or is it just the clinicians when seeing patients?
Both should wear a mask at all times when working in a ward, clinic or other department where patients are present.
9. Do patients and visitors have to wear masks?
Yes. The new guidance asks that all patients attending hospital clinics, and all hospital visitors should wear a face covering (not a face mask) when attending. This advice is in line with existing public health advice to the public asking for face coverings to be worn in public places where physical distancing may be difficult.
10. I am a member of the public and have worn my own mask to hospital, if it gets wet or contaminated will the hospital supply me with another
Yes. Face masks will be available in all wards and departments, or a replacement mask can be provided on request.
11. What should I do if a patient or visitor refuses to wear a mask?
Please politely encourage patients and visitors to comply with the request to use a face covering.
12. I have a medical condition which makes it difficult for me to wear a mask- what should I do?
Please discuss this with your line manager in the first instance to ensure that you have the support you need, and that you are confident that you are appropriately protected.
You will not be ‘forced’ to wear a mask.
13. Can I choose to wear a mask if I want to/am worried?
Yes, in line with previous advice, you can choose to wear PPE appropriate to and not exceeding the level specified in the current UK guidance where you perceive there to be a risk to yourself.
14. My glasses steam up when I am wearing a mask– can I choose not to wear one?
The nose strip on the surgical face masks has been changed to improve the fit around the nose. This will help minimise the risk of your glasses steaming up. You may also wish to change your mask more frequently.
15. Do I have to wear a mask in the corridor or if moving from my office across a ward or department where there are patients present?
16. Can I wear my own face mask at work?
No. This is not appropriate for clinical care delivery as these are unlikely to provide the correct level of protection required for this.
We advised strongly that staff should use surgical face masks provided whilst at work. It may be difficult for uniformed staff to safely store and easily access their own masks for use whilst on duty.
Face masks are available for all NHS Lothian and HSCP employees, and increased availability is being arranged in response to the updated guidance.
17. Do I have to bring my own ‘face covering’ to wear when outside the clinical area?
No. You have access to surgical face masks at work which you should use as advised in both clinical and non clinical areas.
Personal face coverings should be worn when travelling to and from work if using public transport in line with wider Scottish Government guidance.
18. Will NHS Lothian provide masks for me to wear if I travel to work on public transport?
No. Individuals can choose which type of face covering they wish to wear outside of work. This does not have to be a surgical face mask. Masks are also provided by some transport providers.
19. What is the “correct waste bin” to dispose of masks in?
Face masks should be disposed of into orange clinical waste bins. Hands should be washed or decontaminated with alcohol based hand rub after touching/removing masks.
20. How should we let patients know to wear masks?
We are including generic information on physical distancing and use of face coverings in appointment letters and other communications.
We are also promoting this requirement through social media platforms.
21. I’ve heard a lot about shortages of PPE – will there be enough masks for everyone to wear?
Yes. National procurement have confirmed there is plentiful stock available to meet any increase in demand through this change of policy. There are currently approximately 90 million masks available to NHS Scotland.
22. Where will I be able to get masks?
These are already available at the entrance to all wards and departments, and additional PPE stations provided throughout the sites.
23. Is ‘extended’ use of a mask different to ‘sessional use’ of a mask?
Yes. Extended use of masks relates to the specific guidance that clinical staff should wear a mask at all times for the duration of their shift in a clinical environment.
During this time, staff should change their mask regularly in line with existing PPE guidance – and that a mask can continue to be worn on a sessional basis for up to 4 hours, and between patient care episodes or tasks where the mask is intact, comfortable, dry and free from any visible contamination.
24. Do I have to wear a mask if I am able to physically distance from others?
Yes, if you are in a ward or clinical area.
No, if you are in a non clinical or public space.
25. If clinical areas are able to risk assess and evidence that they are able to social distance are they going to be allowed to do so or will this be a blanket ‘all areas must wear face masks’?
No. This is a mandatory policy change from Scottish Government, and staff are asked to comply with this change. The rationale for the change is to protect staff and patients based on emerging scientific evidence.
26. Who will ensure that masks are being worn in corridors where social distancing cannot be achieved?
We expect all staff to act as good role models and comply with the mandatory guidance provided. There is no plan to formally ‘police’ compliance.
27. Do I need to wear a mask if I am face fit testing?
Yes. All testers should wear a mask when carrying out face fit testing. See link to Fit testing face masks to avoid transmission during the coronavirus outbreak"

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, Dannie Boy said:

I make no apologies for posting such a long piece of advice from the NHS (Scotland).  
Masks work (if used properly) 

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
NEW PPE GUIDANCE ABOUT FRSM:

SBAR:
" Title; Use of FRSM in Hospital Date; 29/06/2020 

Situation Scottish Government Guidance on the use of face masks and face coverings has changed to reflect advice issued by the World Health Organisation. 

Background Although the number of new cases of COVID-19 has decreased and remains low, the UK and NHS Lothian is still considered to be in a period of sustained community transmission. Precautions to minimise risk of transmission, including the use of PPE, therefore remain in place. 
It is now recommended that staff working in a clinical area of an acute hospital should wear a face mask at all times throughout their shift. 
Extended mask usage is intended to further protect patients and members of the public, as well as hospital staff from transmission of the virus from asymptomatic carriers or from those individuals who are infectious prior to showing symptoms (presymptomatic infection). 
This means that FRSMs will be worn throughout the shift, but can be removed and replaced as necessary (washing your hands before the mask is removed), and as recommended during the shift, including e.g. if it becomes contaminated, damaged or moist. 

Assessment
• All staff are to wear FRSM in clinical and public areas, including corridors 

• Masks can be ordered via Pecos or obtained from the Site & Capacity Team. 

The main change is that all clinical staff and all non-clinical staff who are ward-based (e.g. domestic staff, administrative staff) are now asked to wear a surgical mask at all times during their shift. 
Staff who do not work within a clinical/care area (e.g. offices, shops, canteen staff within hospitals) should not in general be required to wear a surgical face mask on the premises as; long as they are able to maintain a 2 metre physical distance. 
Where any staff are unable to maintain 2 metre physical distance from others, they should use a surgical face mask. 

Staff are not required to wear a surgical face mask during mealtimes in staff restaurants/ staff rooms or when in changing rooms but should observe 2 metre physical distancing at all times. 
Masks are not required in non-clinical work spaces (e.g. offices) where 2 metre physical distancing can be achieved. 
Patients attending out-patient areas who do not have a face covering should be offered a mask for the duration of their appointment/ hospital attendance, PPE stations have been set at the entrance to Outpatient building, ADB, AFB and RVB 
If a mask is removed for any reason, it should be disposed of in the correct waste bin, hand hygiene undertaken and another mask put on. 
There may be staff members who experience breathing difficulties or who suffer from genuine discomfort or distress when wearing a facemask. Any member of staff who have concerns should discuss these with their line manager in the first instance. 

RECOMMENDATION
Please wear a FRSM when in all clinical areas and hospital premises where 2m social distancing cannot be achieved. 
FAQ. Guide for further information;-"

FAQ:

"20200626 FAQ Extended use of FRSM v1.0
Frequently asked questions- Interim guidance on the wider use of face masks and face coverings in health and social care: June 26th 2020
1. Why has the guidance changed?
There is new and emerging scientific evidence about the risk of spread of COVID-19 from people who are not displaying any symptoms but can still be infectious- either because they have the virus but have not yet become unwell –‘pre-symptomatic’-or because they are carrying the virus and have no symptoms – ‘asymptomatic’ .
Because it is often difficult in hospitals and other residential care settings such as care homes to maintain physical distancing – there is a risk that the infection can be spread from staff to staff.
The patients and residents in our hospitals and care homes are often very vulnerable to infection because of underlying illness or age.
The extended use of masks by health and social care workers is designed to protect staff and patients.
2. I am a ‘clinical’ member of staff and I work in a hospital – but not in a ward – do I have to wear a mask?
If you work in an office, or other non clinical area where there are no patients, AND you can maintain 2m physical distancing from others in that area – you do not have to wear a mask.
If you are not able to maintain 2m physical distancing from others – you should wear a mask.
3. I am not clinical – but I work in a ward- do I have to wear a mask?
4. I work part of my day in a ward or clinic, and part of the day elsewhere – do I still have to wear my mask “throughout my shift”?
As above - you should wear a mask at all times when you are working in a ward, clinic or other department where patients are present.
If you are not able to maintain 2m physical distancing from others in non clinical areas– you should wear a mask
5. I am based in an office – do I have to wear a mask?
If you work in an office, or other non clinical area where there are no patients AND you can maintain 2m physical distancing from others in that area – you do not have to wear a mask.
6. Why does this change only apply in hospital and care home settings? I work in a GP practice or in the community – do I have to wear a mask?
The greatest risk of outbreaks and staff to staff transmission has so far been observed in hospital and care home settings. Therefore the extended use of face masks has been targeted to these care settings at present.
The existing UK guidance on use of PPE still applies in GP practice and community settings, and in practice this means that any clinical staff treating patients should wear a face mask (and gloves, apron and eye protection if appropriate to the task) and follow good hand hygiene practices.
If any staff (e.g. reception staff) are unable to maintain 2m physical distance from patients or other staff, they should wear a face mask.
7. LUCS are a primary care service who work out of hospital outpatient departments do these staff have to wear a mask?
All patients, visitors and other staff using these departments will be advised to wear masks.
Therefore we are asking all clinical staff who work from a hospital base to follow the guidance and wear masks as outlined above.
In general, there are higher numbers of staff and patients in hospital settings than in GP or other community premises, so there is a greater opportunity for spread of infection in this context.
Different practices in the same building are also likely to lead to confusion and concern for patients, visitors and staff.
8. Do the receptionists and clinicians have to wear masks at all times in the outpatient departments or is it just the clinicians when seeing patients?
Both should wear a mask at all times when working in a ward, clinic or other department where patients are present.
9. Do patients and visitors have to wear masks?
Yes. The new guidance asks that all patients attending hospital clinics, and all hospital visitors should wear a face covering (not a face mask) when attending. This advice is in line with existing public health advice to the public asking for face coverings to be worn in public places where physical distancing may be difficult.
10. I am a member of the public and have worn my own mask to hospital, if it gets wet or contaminated will the hospital supply me with another
Yes. Face masks will be available in all wards and departments, or a replacement mask can be provided on request.
11. What should I do if a patient or visitor refuses to wear a mask?
Please politely encourage patients and visitors to comply with the request to use a face covering.
12. I have a medical condition which makes it difficult for me to wear a mask- what should I do?
Please discuss this with your line manager in the first instance to ensure that you have the support you need, and that you are confident that you are appropriately protected.
You will not be ‘forced’ to wear a mask.
13. Can I choose to wear a mask if I want to/am worried?
Yes, in line with previous advice, you can choose to wear PPE appropriate to and not exceeding the level specified in the current UK guidance where you perceive there to be a risk to yourself.
14. My glasses steam up when I am wearing a mask– can I choose not to wear one?
The nose strip on the surgical face masks has been changed to improve the fit around the nose. This will help minimise the risk of your glasses steaming up. You may also wish to change your mask more frequently.
15. Do I have to wear a mask in the corridor or if moving from my office across a ward or department where there are patients present?
16. Can I wear my own face mask at work?
No. This is not appropriate for clinical care delivery as these are unlikely to provide the correct level of protection required for this.
We advised strongly that staff should use surgical face masks provided whilst at work. It may be difficult for uniformed staff to safely store and easily access their own masks for use whilst on duty.
Face masks are available for all NHS Lothian and HSCP employees, and increased availability is being arranged in response to the updated guidance.
17. Do I have to bring my own ‘face covering’ to wear when outside the clinical area?
No. You have access to surgical face masks at work which you should use as advised in both clinical and non clinical areas.
Personal face coverings should be worn when travelling to and from work if using public transport in line with wider Scottish Government guidance.
18. Will NHS Lothian provide masks for me to wear if I travel to work on public transport?
No. Individuals can choose which type of face covering they wish to wear outside of work. This does not have to be a surgical face mask. Masks are also provided by some transport providers.
19. What is the “correct waste bin” to dispose of masks in?
Face masks should be disposed of into orange clinical waste bins. Hands should be washed or decontaminated with alcohol based hand rub after touching/removing masks.
20. How should we let patients know to wear masks?
We are including generic information on physical distancing and use of face coverings in appointment letters and other communications.
We are also promoting this requirement through social media platforms.
21. I’ve heard a lot about shortages of PPE – will there be enough masks for everyone to wear?
Yes. National procurement have confirmed there is plentiful stock available to meet any increase in demand through this change of policy. There are currently approximately 90 million masks available to NHS Scotland.
22. Where will I be able to get masks?
These are already available at the entrance to all wards and departments, and additional PPE stations provided throughout the sites.
23. Is ‘extended’ use of a mask different to ‘sessional use’ of a mask?
Yes. Extended use of masks relates to the specific guidance that clinical staff should wear a mask at all times for the duration of their shift in a clinical environment.
During this time, staff should change their mask regularly in line with existing PPE guidance – and that a mask can continue to be worn on a sessional basis for up to 4 hours, and between patient care episodes or tasks where the mask is intact, comfortable, dry and free from any visible contamination.
24. Do I have to wear a mask if I am able to physically distance from others?
Yes, if you are in a ward or clinical area.
No, if you are in a non clinical or public space.
25. If clinical areas are able to risk assess and evidence that they are able to social distance are they going to be allowed to do so or will this be a blanket ‘all areas must wear face masks’?
No. This is a mandatory policy change from Scottish Government, and staff are asked to comply with this change. The rationale for the change is to protect staff and patients based on emerging scientific evidence.
26. Who will ensure that masks are being worn in corridors where social distancing cannot be achieved?
We expect all staff to act as good role models and comply with the mandatory guidance provided. There is no plan to formally ‘police’ compliance.
27. Do I need to wear a mask if I am face fit testing?
Yes. All testers should wear a mask when carrying out face fit testing. See link to Fit testing face masks to avoid transmission during the coronavirus outbreak"

Well said

no one should have to apologise for repeating the message about face masks.

it’s those that deliberately ignore it that should be the ones apologising 

Just now, Natural Orders said:

Well said

Where do you get these new masks that work? Why is the advice now accurate but was wrong before?

32 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Key word. Reporting. Spain probably has the same number of cases as the UK and we’ve had to wear masks inside and most people have worn them outside since the beginning. 

By population the UK has done considerably worse than Spain.

hughesie27
27 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No idea what's driving it. But it's not people's well being or they'd have acted faster at the start of this and have been requesting masks be worn throughout if they think they're important. Unless I've missed something, a mask is still the same as it was back in March.

But the knowledge about its effectiveness isn't the same.

22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Where do you get these new masks that work? Why is the advice now accurate but was wrong before?

In the market place. There is also PPE being made here in the UK including Scotland. 

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/dust-masks-respirators/cat850348?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-safetyworkwear-_-dustmasksrespirators#_=p

10 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

In the market place. There is also PPE being made here in the UK including Scotland. 

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/dust-masks-respirators/cat850348?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-safetyworkwear-_-dustmasksrespirators#_=p

I've got loads of those, they're just the same as the ones the NHS, the WHO, kickback and the mainstream media said weren't effective.

21 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

But the knowledge about its effectiveness isn't the same.

How do you know they won't change their mind again?

Francis Albert

First half of BBC News last night was dominated by reports of job losses and business closures with lots of vox pop interviews with those affected. . The second half by fears of premature easing of lockdown with vox pop interviews with those fearing  new waves, particularly those in areas on the hit list for local lockdowns. No connection was made between the two issues.

For the vast majority of people the risk from the virus is of suffering for a few days or a week or two with an illness with symptoms no worse the common flu.

If you are old with existing medical conditions you are at risk of serious illness or death. Why not isolate the vulnerable in areas where the virus spikes rather than whole communities with the serious adverse effect on the economy and people's lives?? I write as as one who by age if nothing else would be a candidate for isolation.

hughesie27
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We don't but a mask isn't going to make anything worse. So we should go with what they tell us at that time. 

Just now, Taffin said:

I've got loads of those, they're just the same as the ones the NHS, the WHO, kickback and the mainstream media said weren't effective.

“Face masks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly, disposed of safely and used in combination with good universal hygiene behaviour in order for them to be effective.”

WHO were wrong now changed their mind. 
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-and-masks

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/coronavirus-do-face-masks-work-stop-virus-spread-symptoms-usa-outbreak-china-a9359336.html

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

We don't but a mask isn't going to make anything worse. So we should go with what they tell us at that time. 

It might make it worse, that was the message before. That it increases your likelihood of touching your face.

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Most of the ones I see are the "single use" type. How many of them are actually used once?

And of the others how many are used according to instructions on washing and filter replacement, handling and wearing?

The original Sturgeon advice was little evidence of effectiveness but worth doing in in enclosed areas where social distancing is difficult. Seen no real conclusive evidence since to change that. 

Edited by Francis Albert

Jambo 4 Ever
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

This!

still don’t really understand the mindset of those who won’t wear them 

hughesie27
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It might make it worse, that was the message before. That it increases your likelihood of touching your face.

In which case you wouldn't be wearing the mask properly and not following the guidelines.

Thats not on the Government. 

If adults are unable to avoid touching there face for a 30 minute shop or bus ride then they have bigger issues than Coronavirus.

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

In which case you wouldn't be wearing the mask properly and not following the guidelines.

Thats not on the Government. 

If adults are unable to avoid touching there face for a 30 minute shop or bus ride then they have bigger issues than Coronavirus.

If adults were able to follow the guidelines then masks wouldn't be needed as we're still advised to maintain social distancing.

https://apple.news/A22eAkfySRPqii371VWgoOA

A coronavirus vaccine is "almost certain" to be found thanks to the "collective worldwide brainpower" being devoted to the search, according to one of the world's leading investors in biotechnology companies.

Geoffrey Hsu of Orbimed, the globe's largest dedicated healthcare investment company, said one or more of the almost 150 vaccines being tested were almost sure to prove effective. The same applied to some of the 257 potential treatments undergoing trial. 

"The chances are close to 100 per cent that one or more will show some level of efficacy," he told The Telegraph. "So many approaches on vaccines and treatments are being tried – think about the collective brainpower being applied worldwide." 

He pointed out that 17 candidate vaccines were in clinical trials and another 132 in the preclinical phase, according to the World Health Organisation, while separate figures from the Milken Institute put the number of treatments in clinical or preclinal trials at 257.

Mr Hsu said a new disease would normally prompt far fewer attempts to find a vaccine. "It's usually just a handful – maybe five or so. Definitely not hundreds."

He said it was not necessary for a vaccine to be 100 per cent effective. "The seasonal flu vaccine is only 30-50 per cent effective but this is sufficient to reduce the spread of the disease," he said. "An effectiveness of 50-70 per cent will slow transmission down. And those people who still get the disease despite having been vaccinated will tend to get it less severely. 

"The holy grail is 100 per cent effectiveness but I don't think you need it." On Wednesday America's Food & Drug Administration said it wanted any widely deployed vaccine to have at least 50pc efficacy.

Mr Hsu acknowledged that a vaccine had already been approved in China for use among its military personnel and said similar "emergency use" approval of a vaccine for use only in certain situations was likely in America before the end of the year. Approval for use in the general population would follow later.

On Wednesday Pfizer, the giant American drugmaker, and a German company called BioNTech announced "early positive data from an ongoing phase 1/2 study of an mRNA-based vaccine candidate" for Covid-19.

1 death from Covid 19 in the past 24 hours.

Plans for easing will go ahead tomorrow.

Scotland that is

Edited by Dannie Boy

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Dannie Boy said:

1 death from Covid 19 in the past 24 hours.

Plans for easing will go ahead tomorrow.

Scotland that is

👍

Nicola Sturgeon lockdown update LIVE: Face coverings will be mandatory in shops from next week

Fluorescent Adolescent
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Face coverings in shops compulsory from next week. 

Sensible.

hughesie27
44 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If adults were able to follow the guidelines then masks wouldn't be needed as we're still advised to maintain social distancing.

Yep.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

You are a rambling contradiction on this thread. Utterly bizarre behaviour. 

He really is ! 

Jambo 4 Ever

Face coverings Mandatory in shops from July 10th

anyone not wearing one (unless they have a medical reason) needs a good long hard look at themselves 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

First half of BBC News last night was dominated by reports of job losses and business closures with lots of vox pop interviews with those affected. . The second half by fears of premature easing of lockdown with vox pop interviews with those fearing  new waves, particularly those in areas on the hit list for local lockdowns. No connection was made between the two issues.

For the vast majority of people the risk from the virus is of suffering for a few days or a week or two with an illness with symptoms no worse the common flu.

If you are old with existing medical conditions you are at risk of serious illness or death. Why not isolate the vulnerable in areas where the virus spikes rather than whole communities with the serious adverse effect on the economy and people's lives?? I write as as one who by age if nothing else would be a candidate for isolation.

That’s a bit too sensible a suggestion for BJ and his cronies 

Jambo 4 Ever
9 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Nicola Sturgeon lockdown update LIVE: Face coverings will be mandatory in shops from next week

Great news!

Dagger Is Back
18 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

https://slanjkilts.com/tynecastle-park/tynecastle-park-tartan-face-mask

A better option than the Hearts direct effort, imo.

I really like that but it's another £2 VAT and £4.95 delivery. Pretty pricey. They are opening their Edinburgh store on 13/7 but don't think they'll have them in store stock. Looks beter than our version I agree

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

anyone not wearing one (unless they have a medical reason) needs a good long hard look at themselves 

And that's exactly what we've been doing down here for the last few months, because down here most of the shops are only allowing one person at a time in their shop.

Ainsley Harriott
19 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Bloody Nanny state. I'm not fecking chinese going about dressed like that 

William H. Bonney
16 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I really like that but it's another £2 VAT and £4.95 delivery. Pretty pricey. They are opening their Edinburgh store on 13/7 but don't think they'll have them in store stock. Looks beter than our version I agree

Plus, you can’t put them in the washing machine. Seems a bit of a waste of money. 
My company has its own tartan and has supplied us with one. Despite the fact there is green in it I think they are nice, and they’re machine washable 

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, Furious Styles said:

Plus, you can’t put them in the washing machine. Seems a bit of a waste of money. 
My company has its own tartan and has supplied us with one. Despite the fact there is green in it I think they are nice, and they’re machine washable 

Green? The only thing I wear that is green is my underpants just in case of accidents

manaliveits105

Why were they not mandatory when the virus was rife in March/April ? - another cock up 

and the new guidlines for kids 11 and under and 12 and over ?? - no chance they will understand all that - under 11s 2 families but they can meet all their pals - 12 and over 3 families ?? - thats what she said anyway ?? - gobbledy **** 

Sturgeon oot .

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Who do you think you are calling a twit? I am not someone who hides behind a username throwing insults around. Plenty of folk on this forum know me personally and i tell you something I won't have an arsehole like you thinking they can sit there insulting me because I have a difference of opinion. 

The problem with that is non scientific opinions aren't what drive science and specially the 'opinion' of non scientists in a specific field.

Evidence derived from experimentation and observation is what drives science. If  non scientist opinion were anything anyone should give a **** about then evolutionary science would be on the same level as the 'opinion' of some religious nut.

The nut who has an 'opinion' that the Earth is brand new and all life appeared on it in a single day by magic spell. The 'opinion' of internet non scientists on this pandemic are in the same category as that religious nut.

Having a non educated  opinion that defies all scientific logic and advice does not protect anyone from ridicule. In fact the opposite is more often the case. Which is exactly why the young Earth creationists are a laughing stock.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Why were they not mandatory when the virus was rife in March/April ? - another cock up 

and the new guidlines for kids 11 and under and 12 and over ?? - no chance they will understand all that - under 11s 2 families but they can meet all their pals - 12 and over 3 families ?? - thats what she said anyway ?? - gobbledy **** 

Sturgeon oot .

Because you know only too well that back in March/April the medical advise was that they were as useful as a chocolate teapot.

But you must have known that, so stop being a dick.

Why didn't we know everything there was to know about this brand new disease the second it hit these shores??!?

Disgrace

PortyJambo
18 hours ago, Morgan said:

I think it’s been sorted out.

The poster simply got Tom Cruise confused with Tom Hanks.

A classic case of myxomatomsies...

2 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Well said

Get a grip, face coverings are NOT mandatory except on public transport. 

NS just announced in the last hour that they will be next week in shops.

That's a hell of a high horse you've got.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic