Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Was working not from home for the first time today since March. It was quite surreal but good to be back out and about.

Pub lunch on Sunday too. Excellent.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson

Just had a confirmation e-mail that our holiday park bar and restaurant and night time entertainment venue(with light entertainment) are opening on Saturday. 

You need to book in advance with table service for the restaurant and an app for ordering drinks in the entertainment venue.

I was really looking forward to this but I'm starting to feel a wee bit nervous.

The park is full of Geordies.  Sunderland and Gateshead are on the list of 36 hotspots for covid

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Just had a confirmation e-mail that our holiday park bar and restaurant and night time entertainment venue(with light entertainment) are opening on Saturday. 

You need to book in advance with table service for the restaurant and an app for ordering drinks in the entertainment venue.

I was really looking forward to this but I'm starting to feel a wee bit nervous.

The park is full of Geordies.  Sunderland and Gateshead are on the list of 36 hotspots for covid

Just be sensible and follow the rules they'll have put in place. Enjoy yourself and relax.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It’ll be great fun.

:greggy:

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Just be sensible and follow the rules they'll have put in place. Enjoy yourself and relax.

It's not me I'm worried about being sensible.

Have you ever been in a room full of pissed up Geordies :D

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

It's not me I'm worried about being sensible.

Have you ever been in a room full of pissed up Geordies :D

😂 True, but the restrictions they'll have put in place should keep you safe as long as you're observing them yourself and let the venue deal with anyone who's not adhering to them.

Don't let the worry ruin your trip. I was a bit nervous about going to things again (albeit not piss ups) but once I was there I've not felt at risk once really.

vegas-voss
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Its clearly herd immunity by the back door in England. Opening pubs on a Saturday too ! yep..smells fishy to me. 

No pausing or halting anything anyway.36 boroughs at risk all throughout different parts of the country being put into lockdown but nah lets just get the weekend out the way first and let them have a few pints.

Jambo-Jimbo

Breaking news on Sky News.

With immediate effect California is closing down all indoor activities including restaurants, bars, movie theatres etc etc, in 19 counties.

Class of 75
3 hours ago, Cade said:

176 dead today

Pubs in England opening this weekend

What could possibly go wrong?

Yep I'm working it at the weekend in the mean steets of Cornwall 

On 02/06/2020 at 23:35, John Gentleman said:

As for 'second waves', there's plenty of precedents. Some viruses mutate quickly and often (flu, HIV) whilst others (measles, poliovirus) stay rock-steady, decade in, decade out. promised us anything else.

The virus has already mutated which is of course hugely disappointing. The mutation didn't make it any more deadly but it did make it more infectious. The new strain quickly became the most common version of the virus. But obviously the worst news is simply that it can and will mutate.

They say the current vaccines being developed will still be effective against the new strain. And obviously we must hope any further mutations don't change that. Or we're back to square one in that respect.

This coronavirus mutation has taken over the world. Scientists are trying to understand why

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

I think it’s been sorted out.

The poster simply got Tom Cruise confused with Tom Hanks.

Ah right fair enough then 

Unknown user
9 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He’s getting mixed up with Forrest Gump.

No, we're getting him mixed up with Forrest Gump. Stupid is as stupid does

15 hours ago, Smithee said:

?

15 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That's what I was thinking. Maybe mixing up his Toms

Arf, thats exactly what happened, not much of a film buff, The laughing at Cruise and hammy still stands :lol:  

13 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Sunderland and Gateshead have been shit all through this (i live in Newcastle) Newcastle has been fine, people have been mostly following guidelines and there are loads of places still not opening on Saturday. Sure you will be fine and others will behave.

Jambo-Jimbo
36 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-scotland-face-coverings-experiment-18525667

wear face masks folks

dont be the selfish twit who doesn’t (unless you have medical reasons - really is no excuse!) 

Even Trump say's he's worn a mask and he liked it.

image.jpeg.4888cd6020a29571b16476f6864f7777.jpeg

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-lone-ranger-lookalike-donald-trump-says-face-masks-are-good-12019341

hughesie27
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I have medical reason not to. 

Why do you spend a lot of time posting about masks then? You seem to be totally against them. If you have a valid reason to not wear one then that's clearly all good. I get the feeling g you are against others having to wear them too though. Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

49 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-scotland-face-coverings-experiment-18525667

wear face masks folks

dont be the selfish twit who doesn’t (unless you have medical reasons - really is no excuse!) 

The last line was interesting.

"Dr Davies did say that because he only tested his theory on himself, the experiments can't be used as a model for how coronavirus actually spreads."

I'll just make sure not to sing in someone's face for a minute or cough directly into their face for 15 seconds.

Mon the selfish twits.

AlimOzturk
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Why do you spend a lot of time posting about masks then? You seem to be totally against them. If you have a valid reason to not wear one then that's clearly all good. I get the feeling g you are against others having to wear them too though. Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

Not against others wearing them if they want to wear them. Against the forced wearing of them by authorities and people making other people feel like they are selfish arseholes if they choose not to. Also feel that wearing a homemade mask from a sock Is utterly pointless and these studies saying otherwise are so biased and misleading. 

Freedom of choice can't be sacrificed for anything it is one of the most aspects of society imo. 

I also think masks are garishly looking things which installs fear into society. Fear is something we need to get over if we are to move society on from this. 

Folk have the choice to do what they want and I would argue any law that states folk must wear them would easily be challenged and over turned in court. 

And the above study, so long as you don't sing or talk you are fine. And he has only tested the model on himself therefore therefore the study is completely null and void and proves nothing. Absolutely pathetic that it has been given media time.

Edited by AlimOzturk

hughesie27
4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not against others wearing them if they want to wear them. Against the forced wearing of them by authorities and people making other people feel like they are selfish arseholes if they choose not to. Also feel that wearing a homemade mask from a sock Is utterly pointless and these studies saying otherwise are so biased and misleading. 

Freedom of choice can't be sacrificed for anything it is one of the most aspects of society imo. 

I also think masks are garishly looking things which installs fear into society. Fear is something we need to get over if we are to move society on from this. 

Folk have the choice to do what they want and I would argue any law that states folk must wear them would easily be challenged and over turned in court. 

What about private companies deciding that they won't cater to you if you aren't masked? Isn't that whats primarily happening just now as opposed to state enforced compulsory wearing.

I'm going to continue to follow the advice that the BBC shared from a Dr at London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine and only wear a mask when social distancing isn't possible...which for me, is only in extremely rare instances at work. The rest of the time, no mask.

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

What about private companies deciding that they won't cater to you if you aren't masked? Isn't that whats primarily happening just now as opposed to state enforced compulsory wearing.

They can do what they want I won't visit their establishment. Just like I won't get on a bus anymore. Life's to short to be forced to wear something I don't want to. I couldn't care if folk think wearing is a mask isn't that big a deal...the very fact any organisation wants to to force you to wear something over your face is wrong. 

Jambo 4 Ever
15 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

And the above study, so long as you don't sing or talk you are fine. And he has only tested the model on himself therefore therefore the study is completely null and void and proves nothing. Absolutely pathetic that it has been given media time.

Shouldn’t be a choice though - it’s a matter of life and death

people should be wearing masks unless they have a medical reason not to - really is no excuse mate

AlimOzturk
Just now, Natural Orders said:

people should be wearing masks unless they have a medical reason not to - really is no excuse mate

Matter of life and death :rofl:

Oooo I am so frightened of that unmasked person over the road there coughing and sneezing what must I do. Mustn't leave the house, visit a pub or enjoy my life anymore eh. 

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

They can do what they want I won't visit their establishment. Just like I won't get on a bus anymore. Life's to short to be forced to wear something I don't want to. I couldn't care if folk think wearing is a mask isn't that big a deal...the very fact any organisation wants to to force you to wear something over your face is wrong. 

It's not wrong when it's a really simple and easy measure to help prevent the spread of a highly infectious disease.

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Oooo I am so frightened of that unmasked person over the road there coughing and sneezing what must I do. Mustn't leave the house, visit a pub or enjoy my life anymore eh. 

Literally tens of thousands of people have died and you think it's funny. 

hughesie27
5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not if they want to protect their staff.

And they aren't forcing anything or challenging your freedom of choice. Like you say you will just not go there which makes sense. I just can't go that extra step with you and actually say that what they are doing is wrong. 

I heard that Sainsburys have just started saying that you need to wear a mask to use their stores. Presumably that means their staff must be too. I winder kf they have staff who feel the same as you. I certainly wouldn't want to wear one for a full shift.

AlimOzturk
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I don't find folk dying funny at all. I find the statement funny that wearing a mask is life or death funny because that is such a ridiculous thing to say. 

Wearing a mask in China didn't stop this global pandemic happening so I doubt the wearing of a mask would have prevented anyone from dying especially considering all the other ridiculous decisions that have been along the way. 

8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

And they aren't forcing anything or challenging your freedom of choice. Like you say you will just not go there which makes sense. I just can't go that extra step with you and actually say that what they are doing is wrong. 

I heard that Sainsburys have just started saying that you need to wear a mask to use their stores. Presumably that means their staff must be too. I winder kf they have staff who feel the same as you. I certainly wouldn't want to wear one for a full shift.

That just highlights how stupid it all is though. Sainsbury's were fine to have us in their stores without a mask at the peak of the pandemic, not only that, they were late to the party in regards to making their stores safe...yet now they want masks to be worn. 

I was in a Sainsbury's at least a week after id been in a Tesco that had queues outside to limit numbere, hand wash and wipes for trolleys and baskets and a one way system inside; the Sainsbury's had nothing, business as usual, so forgive me for not believing they have the well-being of their staff and customers at the front and centre of their actions. 

Edited by Taffin

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I don't find folk dying funny at all. I find the statement funny that wearing a mask is life or death funny because that is such a ridiculous thing to say. 

Wearing a mask in China didn't stop this global pandemic happening so I doubt the wearing of a mask would have prevented anyone from dying especially considering all the other ridiculous decisions that have been along the way. 

Preventing the spread of the disease is a case of life and death. Masks can help stop spread the disease. 

China has been considerably less affected than Britain and they all wear masks while hardly anyone here bothers. 

Edited by Ray Gin

AlimOzturk
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

They can call it protecting their staff but I would ask why they didn't do this at the height of the pandemic when their staff where on the front line. What is the point of implementing this when the virus, especially here in Scotland is disappearing?

No doubt they will be selling facemasks in store. Profit! If they make facemasks mandatory then they should be made to provide folk with them free of charge. 

AlimOzturk
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Preventing the spread of the disease is a case of life and death. Masks can help stop spread the disease. 

China has been considerably less affected than Britain and they all wear masks while hardly anyone here bothers. 

Show me the proof. 

And don't quote articles like the above I want actual scientific evidence that wearing masks has contributed in reducing the number of deaths in this pandemic. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

AlimOzturk
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

That proves nothing. That only proves that China has had less deaths. 

Show me the proof that facemasks played a crucial role in the numbers being less. 

And fwiw I believe **** all that comes.kut of that country. 

The best way to avoid spreading the virus is to not get too close to people. I intend to remain at least 1m, ideally 2m, from people to keep myself and them safe. If, in my daily life, someone choses to encroach on that space or is also in a place where distancing is possoble then that is up to them and the risks that come with it. At work, where we are in a confined space and none of us have a choice in that, I'll wear a mask of course, if for no other reason than to make people feel safer.

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

That proves nothing. That only proves that China has had less deaths. 

Show me the proof that facemasks played a crucial role in the numbers being less. 

And fwiw I believe **** all that comes.kut of that country. 

The advice from experts is that they help and that you should wear one.

Of course you know better.

Just like you knew better when you said that it's next to impossible to catch now (proven wrong as lots of places are seeing spikes in cases) and that going back into lockdown would never happen (proven wrong as this has now happened in several places).

King prawn
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

FWIW I agree with the point you’re trying to make but China’s reported statistics on this are utter bollocks. They’ve not reported the full scale of this in the slightest.. 

1 minute ago, King prawn said:

FWIW I agree with the point you’re trying to make but China’s reported statistics on this are utter bollocks. They’ve not reported the full scale of this in the slightest.. 

Perhaps not, but all of the other Asian countries are reporting less deaths than the UK and use of facemasks in these areas is common.

hughesie27
14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That just highlights how stupid it all is though. Sainsbury's were fine to have us in their stores without a mask at the peak of the pandemic, not only that, they were late to the party in regards to making their stores safe...yet now they want masks to be worn. 

I was in a Sainsbury's at least a week after id been in a Tesco that had queues outside to limit numbere, hand wash and wipes for trolleys and baskets and a one way system inside; the Sainsbury's had nothing, business as usual, so forgive me for not believing they have the well-being of their staff and customers at the front and centre of their actions. 

So you think they are making it harder to get customers in their store now is a financial decision?

Jambo 4 Ever
22 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Don’t be so ignorant!!

too many people have died from this - you should be ashamed!

Wear face mask on public transport or in crowded areas- no excuse not to mate!

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

You still haven't answered my question about folks living in the country.......should we be wearing masks all the time, when either there is nobody else around or our exposure to other people is limited & social distancing is not any issue due to said reduced number of people around.

Jambo 4 Ever
23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

He is acting like a wee ignorant twit

hughesie27

Couple of posts were asking why did Sainsburys etc not implement the mask stuff earlier. The same reason the Gov are only now just trying to encourage strixter mask wearing protocols. The data on their effectiveness is more valid now. 

AlimOzturk
2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Don’t be so ignorant!!

too many people have died from this - you should be ashamed!

Wear face mask on public transport or in crowded areas- no excuse not to mate!

Claustrophobia, perfect excuse. I would have a full blown panick attack if I wore a mask over my face. . And I have already stated, a million times it feels like,  that I won't be going on public transport again until as long as it is a mandatory requirement. 

Tell me how I am selfish in that regards?

AlimOzturk
10 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Who do you think you are calling a twit? I am not someone who hides behind a username throwing insults around. Plenty of folk on this forum know me personally and i tell you something I won't have an arsehole like you thinking they can sit there insulting me because I have a difference of opinion. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

King prawn
14 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

I preferred it when you only asked questions.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic