Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, vegas-voss said:

Something I have thought about as well.I think it will ( but I'm just Joe public so it's more wishful ) help but then whole villages in northern Italy were ravaged by it.

Just a thought in these times, bud. Thanks!

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

magic roundabout

A question for anyone working in the front line NHS... What the current situation around PPE at the moment in the Edinburgh area? The reason I ask is I've got a box of 10 (sealed) N95 respirators. More than happy to donate them and drop them off at any medical location that needs them. 

Maybe to better understand the data plotted against comparative measures,   you also need to factor the reaction to each measure.    One country's measure may produce a better public reaction to it than the next country's similar measure at the same point.    There's a hell of a lot of evidence to suggest our measures have received reactions below that of what was desired.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Something I have thought about as well.I think it will ( but I'm just Joe public so it's more wishful ) help but then whole villages in northern Italy were ravaged by it.

Very good point. It doesn’t take much for this to spread. There was a story doing the rounds of how a woman flew to Ecuador to do a trip round the country and ended up spreading the virus into a few of their major cities. 

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

But they managed to beat the Brits, the Russians and the Yanks in Afghanistan 

The Taliban didn’t beat the Russians. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

🧐 well obviously not all of the measures.. I meant strict quarantine, but the hugely testing undertaken in SK Is straight out of the WHO playbook .. they were the model to follow.. probably to late for that 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

we have quite a low population density outside of the city.. has to help

8 minutes ago, kila said:

Once the antibody tests are in full swing, those who recovered and apparently immune will be cited no doubt. I would be fine with that.

Could be.   I was on an exemption but I'll step up if necessary.

I still say the antibody test needs much better understanding of the rate of re-infection (if any) and the possibility of onward transmission once recovered

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

🧐 well obviously not all of the measures.. I meant strict quarantine, but the hugely testing undertaken in SK Is straight out of the WHO playbook .. they were the model to follow.. probably to late for that 

Yup, testing is/was the way to go. Not only does more information lead to better action, but folk who might say "och, it's just a cold" would hopefully change their mentality to "I'm not sure what it is - I'm waiting for the test to get back", i.e. it might make the incautious less so.

Just now, Sooperstar said:

18 year old becomes UKs youngest death from the virus.

Apparently a 36 year old icu nurse has died in the Midlands😥

JudyJudyJudy

Just wanted to say this forum is really helping me .  Been struggling since self isolating on Tuesday so its good to hear others views, opinions and factual information imparted on this. Shame that there are some who have " their head in the sand" about this pandemic and try to contradict scientific research , views and statistics.  However I feel it is also there way of managing their anxiety,.  We all manage it very differently.  But likes just try and be more empathetic  to each other and understand people manage things differently. ?? 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just wanted to say this forum is really helping me .  Been struggling since self isolating on Tuesday so its good to hear others views, opinions and factual information imparted on this. Shame that there are some who have " their head in the sand" about this pandemic and try to contradict scientific research , views and statistics.  However I feel it is also there way of managing their anxiety,.  We all manage it very differently.  But likes just try and be more empathetic  to each other and understand people manage things differently. ?? 

Why are you struggling, James? Serious question.

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I dread to be in self-isolation without the internet, and the likes of kickback with all its colourful arseholes.

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, redjambo said:

People actually believe umquestiomingly data from China?.

Presumably they also dismiss the mass incarceration and "reeducation" of millions of Muslims in their north western provinces as foreign propaganda.

Edited by Francis Albert

AlphonseCapone

This might or might not be of interest to folk, and it's obviously all my own doing so not to be taken as scientific fact. But I was messing around with a very rudimentary predictive model and so far tracking fairly well to actual UK deaths.

What was interesting for me today was it was closer to the UK figure today than what would be expected using the simple same approximate figure as Italy approach. Though obviously yesterday it was 11 out. Tomorrow's estimate for the UK is to be at 353 deaths. Italy's equivalent figure for tomorrow is 463 so that's a decent difference. Be interesting to see how the prediction does. 

Anyway, like I said, might be of interest to some. Others will no doubt think I'm sad and they're probably correct 😁

Screenshot_20200322_194443.jpg

Screenshot_20200322_194505.jpg

skinnybob72

It may have already been discussed - and apologies if it has - but does the UK Govt have the powers to enforce a lockdown / curfew where you are ordered to stay in your home?

If not, is this one of the bills they are hoping to rush through Parliament?

30 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Very good point. It doesn’t take much for this to spread. There was a story doing the rounds of how a woman flew to Ecuador to do a trip round the country and ended up spreading the virus into a few of their major cities. 

In South Korea they have been able to pinpoint that 80% of the infections there was caused because one women failed to self isolate when she was told to.

4 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

It may have already been discussed - and apologies if it has - but does the UK Govt have the powers to enforce a lockdown / curfew where you are ordered to stay in your home?

If not, is this one of the bills they are hoping to rush through Parliament?

More importantly, do they have the resources to implement and maintain it? This may be the real reason they've been putting it off so far - they know that if they order folk to stay at home and they don't, but that nothing is done about it, it all falls apart. Perhaps they're rushing to get the infrastructure and personnel together to allow them to make sure that such an order works when it is issued. Getting us to isolate voluntarily also makes it an easier path to a legal restriction order.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

In South Korea they have been able to pinpoint that 80% of the infections there was caused because one women failed to self isolate when she was told to.

As the WHO said - test and track.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Why are you struggling, James? Serious question.

Several reasons :

The speed of events has been breathtaking . It was only last Sunday i was out having a drink and meal.

The deluge of information about how it is transmitted and how it isnt..

The different opinions about that issue.

The feeling of hopelessness that it may not get much better for a very long time ( as its entirely likely that reinfections will occur  again and again until it dies out ?)

Not being able to be physically close to family members / friends due to social distancing. 

Trying to take comfort from some optimistic  news at times about vaccines etc then a person states one wont be available for over 18 months etc.

The actual physical sensation of feeling you must stay in your house most of the time , so sense of claustraphobia and being in an institution if that makes sense.  ? 

Actually struggling to eat. Only had a sandwhich today.   But again this is natural response to stress and anxiety.   

My obsessive cleaning routines regarding it whereas before I was a mucky git lol at times

However on a positive note ! I know it will end eventually but its just getting there which is the concern.  I will relax later with some meditation as it has helped in the past.  

As ive said it has been comforting to read peoples own experiences too.  and there have been heart warming and wonderful videos and stories about people going out their way to help and support each other.  So thats been a real mood lift.

Ps thanks for asking. 

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

👍🏻 Thanks for sharing .. Stuff like this gives me hope, seems rapid progress is being made all over the world with regard to a vaccine, and the FDA have gone all in on Hydorzychloroqine and azithromycin following Chinese and French tests claiming it can eradicate the virus in most patients after a week.. this and with industry churning out masks and ventilators to save people gives you hope that the world will get on top of this soon. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

👍🏻 Thanks for sharing .. Stuff like this gives me hope, seems rapid progress is being made all over the world with regard to a vaccine, and the FDA have gone all in on Hydorzychloroqine and azithromycin following Chinese and French tests claiming it can eradicate the virus in most patients after a week.. this and with industry churning out masks and ventilators to save people gives you hope that the world will get on top of this soon. 

Who dares wins 😉 stay strong 💪

31 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Apparently a 36 year old icu nurse has died in the Midlands😥

There should be an equivalent of Military Awards for any medical staff who lose their lives due to fighting this virus.

36 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

New USA cases have mysteriously halved .. strange

One word.......Election

I'm a lot more positive than I was a few days ago. The government have started to get to grips, encouraging news regarding vaccines and ventilators, the slower than expected death rate today, its going to be a tough few months, lots of people will die earlier than they could have, but certainly a lot better than the 250,000 deaths and complete economic collapse that was on the table earlier in the week. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Several reasons :

The speed of events has been breathtaking . It was only last Sunday i was out having a drink and meal.

The deluge of information about how it is transmitted and how it isnt..

The different opinions about that issue.

The feeling of hopelessness that it may not get much better for a very long time ( as its entirely likely that reinfections will occur  again and again until it dies out ?)

Not being able to be physically close to family members / friends due to social distancing. 

Trying to take comfort from some optimistic  news at times about vaccines etc then a person states one wont be available for over 18 months etc.

The actual physical sensation of feeling you must stay in your house most of the time , so sense of claustraphobia and being in an institution if that makes sense.  ? 

Actually struggling to eat. Only had a sandwhich today.   But again this is natural response to stress and anxiety.   

My obsessive cleaning routines regarding it whereas before I was a mucky git lol at times

However on a positive note ! I know it will end eventually but its just getting there which is the concern.  I will relax later with some meditation as it has helped in the past.  

As ive said it has been comforting to read peoples own experiences too.  and there have been heart warming and wonderful videos and stories about people going out their way to help and support each other.  So thats been a real mood lift.

Ps thanks for asking.

Thanks for replying, James. A few answers:

. You don't need to obsessively clean within your house. Assume that it is a virus-free zone because unless you're very very unlucky then it is just that. Simply make sure that you sanitise yourself and anything else you haven't seen before that comes into the house (and even then, a wipe with anti-bacterial wipes for objects should do the trick; a good hand-washing/anti-bacterial gel for yourself).

. You can (so far, anyway) go out and have a walk. Do so, but just stay away from other folk.

. Take care of yourself. We're all in this together. Come on here if you're getting stressed (I did start a thread for those who were self-isolating a wee while back but it didn't take hold - post in that if you want).

. Are you ok for food and medical supplies?

. Don't look at worst case scenarios. I honestly believe that we'll be out of this within 2-3 months, with only pockets remaining around the world. I could be entirely wrong, but it does no good to worry about the worst that might happen. We can only change our immediate environment, we just have to get on with it.

. Filter out the crap on social media, particularly the scare-mongering rubbish, because there is *loads* of it. Yes, even here on JKB. :)

. I'm fairly certain that we will have a vaccine by the end of the year, if not sooner. We don't really know about reinfections yet, but it is just as likely that the coronavirus mutates to a less virulent form or one with less payload.

. I know that this may not be easy for you, but try to turn negative into positive and teach yourself something new while you're isolated, or get something done that you've been meaning to do for ages. An opportunity for personal growth.

Red

Carl Fredrickson
53 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

People should not be within 2m of each other, if people can’t enforce that then the government will.. also he didn’t say this the virus will live on surfaces for many hours

so if your kids are like mine (or the kids in my street) there is no way I can get them to remain 2m apart at all times, and they shouldn’t be touching the stuff ... mine are confined to the garden, I have allowed bikes and scooters (supervised at front of house) 

Thanks for the reply. My kids were within 2m of each other, impossible to keep them apart but we were more than 2m from the other kid and his dad. We all wore gloves that went straight into the washing machine. They had a great day in the garden today but this is gonna be so tough for them. Trying to explain it to my 4 year old daughter has been heartbreaking. 

Sorry folks but that Jerusalem Post article about the Israeli lab and the vaccine has already been outed as midleading and the lab has clarified the claims.    

kingantti1874
Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks for the reply. My kids were within 2m of each other, impossible to keep them apart but we were more than 2m from the other kid and his dad. We all wore gloves that went straight into the washing machine. They had a great day in the garden today but this is gonna be so tough for them. Trying to explain it to my 4 year old daughter has been heartbreaking. 

agree, mine are the same, took my daughter to see my mum on Mother’s Day, stood about 15 foot apart in the garden and waved..  hard to explain to a child why they couldn’t give their nana a cuddle.. or play with their friends 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

agree, mine are the same, took my daughter to see my mum on Mother’s Day, stood about 15 foot apart in the garden and waved..  hard to explain to a child why they couldn’t give their nana a cuddle.. or play with their friends 

Even harder to explain without making them scared, I would imagine.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Nana has the jobby touch? 

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

My 9 year old son is loving it as I am normally getting on to him to go out and play. Now, stay in, do your school work then play with Lego/console/watch TV/board games - he is loving the thought of it. 

My daughter is a social butterfly and is at a very important time of life in her social development. 

Hope all goes well with you and yours. 

12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for replying, James. A few answers:

. You don't need to obsessively clean within your house. Assume that it is a virus-free zone because unless you're very very unlucky then it is just that. Simply make sure that you sanitise yourself and anything else you haven't seen before that comes into the house (and even then, a wipe with anti-bacterial wipes for objects should do the trick; a good hand-washing/anti-bacterial gel for yourself).

. You can (so far, anyway) go out and have a walk. Do so, but just stay away from other folk.

. Take care of yourself. We're all in this together. Come on here if you're getting stressed (I did start a thread for those who were self-isolating a wee while back but it didn't take hold - post in that if you want).

. Are you ok for food and medical supplies?

. Don't look at worst case scenarios. I honestly believe that we'll be out of this within 2-3 months, with only pockets remaining around the world. I could be entirely wrong, but it does no good to worry about the worst that might happen. We can only change our immediate environment, we just have to get on with it.

. Filter out the crap on social media, particularly the scare-mongering rubbish, because there is *loads* of it. Yes, even here on JKB. :)

. I'm fairly certain that we will have a vaccine by the end of the year, if not sooner. We don't really know about reinfections yet, but it is just as likely that the coronavirus mutates to a less virulent form or one with less payload.

. I know that this may not be easy for you, but try to turn negative into positive and teach yourself something new while you're isolated, or get something done that you've been meaning to do for ages. An opportunity for personal growth.

Red

Brilliant post, thanks for that.... I know it was a response to someone else but i was starting to feel similar and this helps.

Thank you.

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

My mother stays with me as I am her carer and both of my kids are doing their best in washing hands etc but they have talked about it and school and nursery. It has really hit them hard that their gran is in a high rick category and they have taken to hand washing with an enthusiasm that I have struggled to drill into them for years. 

Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

My mother stays with me as I am her carer and both of my kids are doing their best in washing hands etc but they have talked about it and school and nursery. It has really hit them hard that their gran is in a high rick category and they have taken to hand washing with an enthusiasm that I have struggled to drill into them for years. 

:D

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Brilliant post, thanks for that.... I know it was a response to someone else but i was starting to feel similar and this helps.

Thank you.

Pleasure, Alfred.

1 hour ago, magic roundabout said:

A question for anyone working in the front line NHS... What the current situation around PPE at the moment in the Edinburgh area? The reason I ask is I've got a box of 10 (sealed) N95 respirators. More than happy to donate them and drop them off at any medical location that needs them. 

I would imagine many NHS places would need them. Including none NHS that I work in... 

heartandsoul
55 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Good post mate. The forum is helping me as well.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Pleasure, Alfred.

it was a great post..

Edited by kingantti1874

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Yep.

Other things need to change too.

Lets have a hiatus on pointless flyers coming through doors and certainly what Royal Mail staff deliver should be considered essential only.

Go Outdoors (painfully not of the moment) are like a furniture store -constant sales

Tommy Brown
47 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This might or might not be of interest to folk, and it's obviously all my own doing so not to be taken as scientific fact. But I was messing around with a very rudimentary predictive model and so far tracking fairly well to actual UK deaths.

What was interesting for me today was it was closer to the UK figure today than what would be expected using the simple same approximate figure as Italy approach. Though obviously yesterday it was 11 out. Tomorrow's estimate for the UK is to be at 353 deaths. Italy's equivalent figure for tomorrow is 463 so that's a decent difference. Be interesting to see how the prediction does. 

Anyway, like I said, might be of interest to some. Others will no doubt think I'm sad and they're probably correct 😁

Screenshot_20200322_194443.jpg

Screenshot_20200322_194505.jpg

Good mate. I'm a saddo collecting the data too.

It was good to see our death toll want a bit less than Italy's equivalent after almost mirroring them.

The figure I'm watching is Italy's critical.

It stands at 3000, on a upward.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Good mate. I'm a saddo collecting the data too.

It was good to see our death toll want a bit less than Italy's equivalent after almost mirroring them.

The figure I'm watching is Italy's critical.

It stands at 3000, on a upward.

The day on day number went down a bit today.. hopefully the start of a more positive trend 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic