Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Anyone else hacked off at all the usual TV adverts depicting an obsolete way of life?   (Be that for months or years)

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, cannonfoda said:

Almost no point having thousands of ventilators etc and no staff to work them.   

They don't work themselves.

Isolate isolate isolate.  To quote the last leg  Don't be a d!ck.

The people have forced the issue at every stage. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Laughable.   You're making a fool of yourself.   Now in the ignore toilet with FA and Claptrap John.

What an arrogant comment. Ri and I come from opposite ends of political spectrum, and we have disagreed on loads of stuff, but his opinion is just as valid as your one. You however, have taken on the persona of someone like Piers Morgan, an unqualified expert on everything, who simply takes a tantrum when called out.

10 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Time & Cost management mate - at the last flu crisis when they ran out of beds there were whole wings of hospitals mothballed at the time...It costs to re-open them and at that time they didn't have the ventilators or staff to service them either. I get that managing the NHS is a big job, but it does appear that someone (read: loads of people) was sitting drinking coffee from Jan-Mar...Also doesn't help the way that NHS managers handle budgets - blowing spare cash on agency staff or machines they have no technician to work rather than hand it back, as if they hand it back then their budget is reduced the next year...

Exactly, mismanagement from top to bottom.

Hopefully now all governments will take action to avoid this in the future.

I'm going to be honest here. We went to the zoo yesterday. I did try and explain to the missus it wasn't a good idea but she persisted, on the understanding that if it looked like there was any groups or crowds there, we'd go home. Place was deserted. Spent an hour or two taking the kids round, went home. No contact with anyone so as far as she was concerned, social distancing had been observed. No groups, no meeting people, essentially we went for a walk.

Had another chat with her today and I think I've got her to see sense and accept that, while there was social distancing yesterday and no contact with anyone, it wasn't essential. Therefore, we really shouldn't be doing shit like that. I can definitely see divorce rates rocketing due to shit like that. We sorted it out (surprisingly!) but I'm sure others won't. 

kingantti1874

US cases now c15,000 in one day.. to put that into perspective that more than Wuhan when they changed how they tested their count and reverted back a couple of days later .. will be 25k by the end of the day

I'll treat any opinion as valid but only to the extent of reasonable sanity.    I make no apology for burning down outright idiocy.   Final word on that.

kingantti1874
Just now, ri Alban said:

I'm taking this seriously, I just wish folk would calm down. You seem to only want to hear panic, why?

no, I want action to save people’s lives, far too many people are not taking this seriously enough. 

sorry but your suggestion only to lock down the vulnerable would collapse then NHS inside a week, and no one else would be getting treated for anything.  This is exactly what has played out in Italy..

10 people need a bed - 1 person gets a bed, 50% of those needing a bed are unde 55. Yes they do have a better chance of survival. 

56 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Are you sure this was not the vulture queue?

I said to my wife (who works for the NHS) as she was going to go to Morrison’s this morning that she should be aware there is likely to be a vulture queue waiting to go in and strip the shelves as soon as the NHS hour was done and, she should ignore that queue and walk up to the main entrance....... not saying you are wrong but, I would not imagine there were dozens of NHS staff waiting in a queue (unless they were buying their own ppe 😀)

I'm not sure. Mrs Homme met her workmate who informed us the whole queue was NHS and Tesco employees, so we didn't even join it. 

I've no doubt it would have been full of non NHS but the joke is probably on them as we managed to get our essentials between Aldi, Morrisons and Home Bargains. 

Edited by Homme

Malinga the Swinga

Amazing how, in times of crisis, just how many experts on virus control, civil behaviour, law and order and vaccine development there are on a football Internet site.

Even more amazing is that none of these experts appear to have been consulted by any government, police force, pharmaceutical company. Don't these organisations realise what an opportunity they are missing? Why bother employing experts when a bunch of football supporters could organise everything in an afternoon.

Mods, any chance you could warn the folk on this thread who are littering it with their arguing and pissing matches? Prefer this for updates on Covid 19 rather than having to watch the rather depressing and bleak news channels and social media pish. However, if the arguing continues then that will quickly then getting thrown to **** anaw.

Edited by AlimOzturk

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

That’s not the post you responded to though. My original post was highlighting how serious an issue we have in Response to clear dumb****ery,

I then calculated an estimated daily figure based on som assumptions drawn from real data - which I as much as anyone hope is wrong.

you then questioned how my calculations made sense with a witty gif! Were my calculations wrong? No I don’t think so.. 

why don’t you, Francis and Ri piss off onto a coronavirus for dummies thread 👍🏻

It doesn’t matter which post I responded to. Both were nonsense. You were making wild assumptions in your calculations to fit your argument.

A UK death rate of 11,000 per day, and for that rate to maintain for a full calendar year? You have absolutely no basis for that claim. 

Maybe lets just try keep some basis in reality when discussing figures. 

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

no, I want action to save people’s lives, far too many people are not taking this seriously enough. 

sorry but your suggestion only to lock down the vulnerable would collapse then NHS inside a week, and no one else would be getting treated for anything.  This is exactly what has played out in Italy..

10 people need a bed - 1 person gets a bed, 50% of those needing a bed are unde 55. Yes they do have a better chance of survival. 

More equipment would be a good start, would it not. The SNP and Tories will rightfully get their baws kicked for neglecting The health service(Not investment wise). 

I'm not trying to be prick, but other things need to be done, bud.

Brighton Jambo

Number in Italy has dropped from 793 to 651 deaths in a day.  I just pray it’s going the right way now.  

the UK increase was marginally smaller than expected and Ventilator production looks like it’s really scaling up in the UK.

small crumbs of comfort but it’s a start. 

17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Anyone else hacked off at all the usual TV adverts depicting an obsolete way of life?   (Be that for months or years)

Yep.

Other things need to change too.

Lets have a hiatus on pointless flyers coming through doors and certainly what Royal Mail staff deliver should be considered essential only.

Wife and l went for a walk through Newbattle woods and down on into the Abbey grounds. Vast majority of folk moved to the opposite side of the paths we were walking on and just gave a courtesy 'hello'. However just at the side of Newbattle Abbey College were sat 4 ****ing jakies knocking back Tennant's Lager and listening to Oasis. Pi**ed as farts but the best of it was one of them was wearing a mask. Unfortunately it was round his neck as it stopped him necking his can. Made me smile.

There are face masks that protect the wearer from contracting and spreading. If everyone used them then there would be no or limited spread. We have failed to supply these to front line health and care workers never mind the general public. My next door neighbour is a care worker who visits 16 patients per day and has not been provided with a mask and other basic PPE. This virus has not just kicked off, it started last year, obviously this PPE equipment is in great demand, should we not be not be mass producing it ourselves by now. Other less advanced countries are also doing mass screening. Real leadership is sadly lacking. We need to be tackling this not lying down to it.

12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Amazing how, in times of crisis, just how many experts on virus control, civil behaviour, law and order and vaccine development there are on a football Internet site.

Even more amazing is that none of these experts appear to have been consulted by any government, police force, pharmaceutical company. Don't these organisations realise what an opportunity they are missing? Why bother employing experts when a bunch of football supporters could organise everything in an afternoon.

Haven't really seen that.

Been pretty good on here. 

Mostly people link to expert opinions.

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Mods, any chance you could warn the folk on this thread who are littering it with their arguing and pissing matches? Prefer this for updates on Covid 19 rather than having to watch the rather depressing and bleak news channels and social media pish. However, if the arguing continues then that will quickly then getting thrown to **** anaw.

I asked and queried some data and advice, and was told my opinion was lesser than theirs. 

Everyone can have an opinion on here, as we know only what they are telling us, otherwise we'd be working for the government, Alim. 

I've had a bevvy, so forgive my protectionism.

I like all opinions, but some people think their opinions are fact. Sorry but this is fecking horrendous for everyone, and everyone should be treated exactly the same. 

Again, sorry, but I think people with other illnesses are as important as  people with Coronavirus.

15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You are surprised that there are football supporters with the capacity to read and study what is happening across the globe , then analyse and the data and approach adopted by our country,  then have the basic mental capacity to slap down outrageous dumb****ery? 

Why follow Italy when Japan and South Korea seem to be better?

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, Skacelsid said:

There are face masks that protect the wearer from contracting and spreading. If everyone used them then there would be no or limited spread. We have failed to supply these to front line health and care workers never mind the general public. My next door neighbour is a care worker who visits 16 patients per day and has not been provided with a mask and other basic PPE. This virus has not just kicked off, it started last year, obviously this PPE equipment is in great demand, should we not be not be mass producing it ourselves by now. Other less advanced countries are also doing mass screening. Real leadership is sadly lacking. We need to be tackling this not lying down to it.

This is the sort of thing that will come out in the post event inquiry.

It won't be good reading.

On the other hand we could be moving to a very different society. One that looks after people. That strengthens infrastructure. Might even have a decent leader who may admit to the failings and changes things. 

17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'll treat any opinion as valid but only if it agrees with me.

FTFY. 

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You are surprised that there are football supporters with the capacity to read and study what is happening across the globe , then analyse and the data and approach adopted by our country,  then have the basic mental capacity to slap down outrageous dumb****ery? 

Just a wee bit surprised that you seem to think you are in that category.

(Isn't it great when you are on ignore with some posters?)

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Your posts have consistently tried to downplay the impact, your wrong on this subject like you were with FOH. 

this will be my last ever interaction with you.. 

Best decision you will make for a long time, believe me

10 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Number in Italy has dropped from 793 to 651 deaths in a day.  I just pray it’s going the right way now.  

the UK increase was marginally smaller than expected and Ventilator production looks like it’s really scaling up in the UK.

small crumbs of comfort but it’s a start. 

A bit of hope in that Italy figure.   If it keeps reducing say for 3 days.    We need every bit of hope going.

34 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Almost no point having thousands of ventilators etc and no staff to work them.   

They don't work themselves.

Isolate isolate isolate.  To quote the last leg  Don't be a d!ck.

There’s been a huge uptake of medical staff coming out of retirement and redeployment of many many others to do this work. It’s a mobilisation that is unprecedented just like this pandemic.

As of 9am on 22 March 2020, 78,340 people have been tested in the UK, of which 72,657 were confirmed negative and 5,683 were confirmed positive. 281 patients in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have died.

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Best decision you will make for a long time, believe me

Why? I don't agree with lots of people, but it's better to read all opinions, not standing inside an echo chamber, like this.

:Shoosh:

I was due to be on jury duty tomorrow at the High Court in Edinburgh and just rang the number but says they're cancelled. I was half expecting that, but curious what happens to the pending criminal trials? Unprecedented territory but will be quite a back log should this go on for months and months.

Be nice if they extended these wee niceties that NHS staff get to all Emergency services and Key Workers.

Carl Fredrickson

Sorry if it has been mentioned but there are a lot of pages in the last couple of hours but I heard part of BJs press conference but didnt hear the reply to a question that meant a lot to me. 

He was asked the position on playparks as contradictory advice has been announced. Was the question answered and if so, what was said? This would be much appreciated. 

I have a coupe of kids and a playpark 100 yards from my house that very few people use. We went yesterday and there was only one other parent with their kid and we moved round the park at opposite sides. We didnt go today, a day in the house/garden but if the park is an option then that would be a great help. 

Just now, kila said:

I was due to be on jury duty tomorrow at the High Court in Edinburgh and just rang the number but says they're cancelled. I was half expecting that, but curious what happens to the pending criminal trials? Unprecedented territory but will be quite a back log should this go on for months and months.

No new jury trials was announced.   As you say the backlog will be long.    I wonder if the consequences will be covered in the raft of new emergency powers.    Long stays on remand.    Non jury trials.     

Disclaimer.   Not a legal or constitutional expert.  

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why follow Italy when Japan and South Korea seem to be better?

I have done nothing but advocate the UK follow the approach of South Korea, Japan and China.. 

unfortunately that is the exact opposite of the approach we have taken.. 

sadly, the approach in the UK is closer to Italy, France and Spain.. and I must say our measures are weaker than any of them

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

I have done nothing but advocate the UK follow the approach of South Korea, Japan and China.. 

sadly, the approach in the UK is closer to Italy, France and Spain.. and I must say our measures are weaker than any of them

Are they, though? Or are they just at the same place they were 2 weeks ago? 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

No new jury trials was announced.   As you say the backlog will be long.    I wonder if the consequences will be covered in the raft of new emergency powers.    Long stays on remand.    Non jury trials.     

Disclaimer.   Not a legal or constitutional expert.  

Once the antibody tests are in full swing, those who recovered and apparently immune will be cited no doubt. I would be fine with that.

luckyBatistuta

My lad is in P7 and obviously had to finish up on Friday. On Thursday evening, a few mums on Facebook said that they wanted to organise a send off at the school. Most of the mums said that they should have a send off for them once this is over. One mum was quite upset, as she lives opposite the school gates and her daughter is ill and would probably witness it and be upset. Anyway, the next day, I wake up and my wife is trying to console my lad who is clearly upset. I asked her what was wrong and they had went ahead and done it, setting off loads of balloons in to the sky etc (🤯) He got upset that classmates had mums and dads there and we weren’t. I was raging, as it mate me feel that my son might think we don’t care. Next day...the same mums are on Facebook going crazy, saying stuff about...when are these idiots going to realise this is serious and you just can’t congregate and they need to isolate, they’re idiots and risking our lives, etc.

You couldn’t make it up, ####ing retards.

3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Sorry if it has been mentioned but there are a lot of pages in the last couple of hours but I heard part of BJs press conference but didnt hear the reply to a question that meant a lot to me. 

He was asked the position on playparks as contradictory advice has been announced. Was the question answered and if so, what was said? This would be much appreciated. 

I have a coupe of kids and a playpark 100 yards from my house that very few people use. We went yesterday and there was only one other parent with their kid and we moved round the park at opposite sides. We didnt go today, a day in the house/garden but if the park is an option then that would be a great help. 

The Gov's advice is generally use common sense.

If it's not a busy park then it's a good time to use it. But remember that you don't know who has used it before or indeed after you if you are infected.

If you must go to keep the kids happy then take some cleaning wipes are rub down all the surfaces especially where hands might end up?

Or make the kids wear gloves that can get washed afterwards?

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

The Taliban are still trying to a fire a rocket into space using an elastic rope and a tree

But they managed to beat the Brits, the Russians and the Yanks in Afghanistan 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

People should not be within 2m of each other, if people can’t enforce that then the government will.. also he didn’t say this the virus will live on surfaces for many hours

so if your kids are like mine (or the kids in my street) there is no way I can get them to remain 2m apart at all times, and they shouldn’t be touching the stuff ... mine are confined to the garden, I have allowed bikes and scooters (supervised at front of house) 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Do people think the make up of Scotland will help or hinder against the fight against this thing. London, NY etc... Highly populated by square mile, compared to our low population per square mile.

Something I have thought about as well.I think it will ( but I'm just Joe public so it's more wishful ) help but then whole villages in northern Italy were ravaged by it.

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Aye, China. ;)

https://www.ibtimes.sg/coronavirus-patient-claims-chinese-medical-team-sent-alive-patients-cremation-video-40217

Just now, XB52 said:

But they managed to beat the Brits, the Russians and the Yanks in Afghanistan 

Did they feck.

2 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Same place we were two weeks ago but that’s a problem in my opinion. The UK has seen what will happen if it follows in the footsteps of Italy, France and Spain but instead of strict measures being put in place immediately it’s dilly dallied a bit.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

If we apply a Total lockdown tomorrow it will be at the same stage as Italy.. (by the data) but we are not testing to the same extent so likely we are in a worse position. France and Italy went earlier 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic