Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Depends on who develops it first. The Taliban might tell us all to :bolt:

The Taliban are still trying to a fire a rocket into space using an elastic rope and a tree

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

How many lives is a vaccine in December going to save before its available?

You required a credible source to counter the 18-month claim, I gave you one.

If the scientist in question is right, and a working safe vaccine is available by the end of the year, it won't only be produced in the millions. No lab/country/government would ever survive sitting on the right to produce that vaccine, it will be produced internationally and resources will be diverted to ensure that as many lives as possible will be saved.

The reason I went for late October though is that scientists, if they're worth their salt, never over-promise.

A vaccine will, of course, not save any lives until it is available, but that's obvious and not what we're talking about here.

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

How long do we quarantine for, and as soon as we re-emerge, does the Coronavirus say, 'Well hello'

They say they want to do this 'antibody' test to check you have had the virus and are therefore safe to fully go out and about.

Not sure how they can do 60 million tests though.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You lockdown to inject delay.   Go read the contain-delay-research-mitigate playbook.

I've read and listened, but this delay is just bs, how long can you delay without vaccine and the people say enough is enough. Every thing is great in theory, the amount of people who think the can Slate a roof or roughcast a house, until you go, 'Here! On you go go'  Show me the evidence, not guesswork.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

You required a credible source to counter the 18-month claim, I gave you one.

If the scientist in question is right, and a working safe vaccine is available by the end of the year, it won't only be produced in the millions. No lab/country/government would ever survive sitting on the right to produce that vaccine, it will be produced internationally and resources will be diverted to ensure that as many lives as possible will be saved.

The reason I went for late October though is that scientists, if they're worth their salt, never over-promise.

A vaccine will, of course, not save any lives until it is available, but that's obvious and not what we're talking about here.

The problem is people thinking a vaccine is going to help just now. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

They say they want to do this 'antibody' test to check you have had the virus and are therefore safe to fully go out and about.

Not sure how they can do 60 million tests though.

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

UK gov said 80% of population could get this,

if that number get it the NHS will be swamped and we will be unable to provide care and will see a death rate closer to Italy (8%) than SK (1%)

80% of U.K. population is 52 million.

8% of 52 million = 4.2 million /365 is 11k a day over a year..

so not as bad as my guess but horrific none the less and the reason why it cannot be allowed to get out of control

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a89597ffcfb0cfba783

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

The problem is people thinking a vaccine is going to help just now. 

Do folk think that?

Jambof3tornado
11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So why have so many been making the comparison? I think it is a useful comparison. Whatever direction it shows.

So many on social media sharing a chart. The minister of health just agreed with me. 

There are too many variables between countries including numbers tested etc to make it of any real value but if you find it helpful crack on.

Nowt against italians btw spag bol for tea in solidarity with them!!

Edited by Jambof3tornado

2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

The Taliban are still trying to a fire a rocket into space using an elastic rope and a tree

👏 Brilliant bud, an answer I did not expect. Love this place.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

You're not saying anything new here. We know people die of other things. But this new thing is now killing 200 people a day add counting. It shouldn't just be ignored. 

Since when did it start killing 200 a day in the UK? Serious question BTW. Have we been at that death rate for long?

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I've read and listened, but this delay is just bs, how long can you delay without vaccine and the people say enough is enough. Every thing is great in theory, the amount of people who think the can Slate a roof or roughcast a house, until you go, 'Here! On you go go'  Show me the evidence, not guesswork.

Jesus.   You inject delay in order to give the NHS the best chance to treat a lesser number of people at any given time.    More ICU beds and ventilators.   More care.   Less brutal triage.   Buying time to develop treatments.

If you don't understand things,   why are you here?

On a brighter note, did anyone else hear Nick Owen, the owner of G-Tech the vacuum company say today on the radio that they hope to be producing 1000 ventilators per day, in a week's time? 

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

So many on social media sharing a chart. The minister of health just agreed with me. 

There are too many variables between countries including numbers tested etc to make it of any real value but if you find it helpful crack on.

Latest Italy / UK comparison.

I think generally now people here are comparing deaths. 

IMG_20200322_180709.jpg

Just now, Spellczech said:

On a brighter note, did anyone else hear Nick Owen, the owner of G-Tech the vacuum company say today on the radio that they hope to be producing 1000 ventilators per day, in a week's time? 

Brilliant.   Hope he delivers.

6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

multi billion pound question.
My answer is when the infection rate drops off and there is a credible cure and a vaccine. The Spanish have just extended their lockdown by another 14 days and are very ruthless enforcing it. It can be done. 

This needs to happen maybe then people will get the message selfish *******s. 

German Chancellor Angela Merkel quarantined

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is in quarantine after meeting a doctor on Friday who has since tested positive for the virus, her spokesman said.

She was told about the contact after a press conference on Sunday in which she announced further measures to try to curb the spread of coronavirus.

Her government banned meetings of more than two people outside work and home for two weeks.

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Nowt against italians btw spag bol for tea in solidarity with them!!

Sorry but many on here seemed to think it useful or indicative but suddenly a few are going off it because of what is probably a one day blip. It is not predictive but worth keeping an eye on.

Not to the extent as some have argued as showing that the UK is ahead or behind in its responses to the virus, Only time will tell.

16 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Two trees.

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

University of Edinburgh has been asked if they can helped with the ventilator production too. Colleague of mine is going to use their electronics expertise along with folk in the School of Engineering to get a production line of key components going.

30,000 ventilators in a short space of time would be quite an achievement. No shortage of empty hotels to repurpose as hospitals either.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Jesus.   You inject delay in order to give the NHS the best chance to treat a lesser number of people at any given time.    More ICU beds and ventilators.   More care.   Less brutal triage.   Buying time to develop treatments.

I understand perfectly, but mass infection at anytime won't create less brutality. It's just delaying the inevitable. Maybe all governments should have had more ICU in the first place instead of mismanagement of billions. 

1 minute ago, kila said:

University of Edinburgh has been asked if they can helped with the ventilator production too. Colleague of mine is going to use their electronics expertise along with folk in the School of Engineering to get a production line of key components going.

30,000 ventilators in a short space of time would be quite an achievement. No shortage of empty hotels to repurpose as hospitals either.

👍

Not sure you easily get the bulk O2 into hotels.    Not sure if the cylinders can serve ICU ventilators instead.    I would have thought all the hotel space will be for all other NHS traffic and not for c19.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Not sure you easily get the bulk O2 into hotels.    Not sure if the cylinders can serve ICU ventilators instead.    I would have thought all the hotel space will be for all other NHS traffic and not for c19.

True.

What about airports instead? They're all empty now, use one of Heathrow's terminals as an ICU unit for London's crisis.

Edited by kila

4 minutes ago, kila said:

True.

What about airports instead? They're all empty now, use one of Heathrow's terminals as an ICU unit for London's crisis.

There should be more than enough hotel space to virtually relocate the entire NHS (minus c19).    Hospitals could be fully turned over to it.

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I understand perfectly, but mass infection at anytime won't create less brutality. It's just delaying the inevitable. Maybe all governments should have had more ICU in the first place instead of mismanagement of billions. 

More nonsense.   Delay allows the NHS a chance to treat people.   Yoh flatten out the peak to give people a chance to be treated.    Less (hopefully zero) need to triage old people for no treatment.    You buy time for advances in treatments.

You understand nothing.   Why bother pretending you do.

The Internet
22 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Since when did it start killing 200 a day in the UK? Serious question BTW. Have we been at that death rate for long?

My mistake, genuinely don't know how 'a day' got in there. Bloody autocorrect. Shows how misinformation can spread eh :ninja:

Brighton Jambo
21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That’s the first bit of generously positive news I’ve heard today.  What an effort

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Do folk think that?

Clearly you don't. But certainly early on the main thing people were going on about to deal with the virus was a vaccine. 

A vaccine as you say will help. Later. 

13 minutes ago, kila said:

formula 1 factories are trying to produce ventilators as well as if they can get parts that can be 3D printed they have massive capacity and are used to having to do things quickly

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

More nonsense.   Delay allows the NHS a chance to treat people.   Yoh flatten out the peak to give people a chance to be treated.    Less (hopefully zero) need to triage old people for no treatment.    You buy time for advances in treatments.

You understand nothing.   Why bother pretending you do.

To a point, it does, but hey keep up your 'I know everything, tho you don't' persona.

You know the square root of feck all, just like everything, or you'd be up front with Boris.

Edited by ri Alban

27 minutes ago, Victorian said:

To avoid having to just let people die because you don't have the ventilators etc to treat them. What has been said has happened sadly in Italy.

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

My mistake, genuinely don't know how 'a day' got in there. Bloody autocorrect. Shows how misinformation can spread eh :ninja:

Ah, no problem. Yeah things can grow arms and legs. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

To avoid having to just let people die because you don't have the ventilators etc to treat them. What has been said has happened sadly in Italy.

Correct.   Easy to understand... you'd think.

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Time & Cost management mate - at the last flu crisis when they ran out of beds there were whole wings of hospitals mothballed at the time...It costs to re-open them and at that time they didn't have the ventilators or staff to service them either. I get that managing the NHS is a big job, but it does appear that someone (read: loads of people) was sitting drinking coffee from Jan-Mar...Also doesn't help the way that NHS managers handle budgets - blowing spare cash on agency staff or machines they have no technician to work rather than hand it back, as if they hand it back then their budget is reduced the next year...

Салатные палочки

OAnyone else see those fuds on the news working out in the park? One woman said "the government said we can go out and exercise" whilst standing about 12 inches away from the face of another person. 

kingantti1874
33 minutes ago, Victorian said:

summed up perfectly.

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

OAnyone else see those fuds on the news working out in the park? One woman said "the government said we can go out and exercise" whilst standing about 12 inches away from the face of another person. 

Yeah. I suspect the Chinese would've just shot her and asked "anyone else got something stupid to say?"

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

only if you graduated primary school 

Yeah the 20,000 dead a day in the UK figure makes a lot of sense. You defo didn’t just pluck it out of thin air. 

Almost no point having thousands of ventilators etc and no staff to work them.   

They don't work themselves.

Isolate isolate isolate.  To quote the last leg  Don't be a d!ck.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic