• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

1700 die every day in the UK

But on average about 55 a day are dying of or more precisely with Covid. The other 1645 are of no account. Some of them will be dying or will die as a result of an 18 week backlog in hospital treatment for cancer and other potentially life saving treatments.  The BBC news just now did not ask why that backlog has been allowed to grow over a three month period when hospitals have been emptier than that have been for a long time maybe ever since the NHS was set up.Instead we got the usual propaganda about how the NHS is facing up to a combination of the flu season not yet begun and the surge of Covid admissions which is still a small fraction of the rate back in April. And a complaint that doctors and nurses are suffering mental anguish because the relatives of Covid victims are not being given the opportunity to.observe what a great job they are doing! This is apparently traumatic for these health service professionals.

Edited by Francis Albert

coconut doug
22 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yet we should still listen to them?? I'm glad you think that calling out catastrophic govt decisions that resulted in 2500 deaths in care homes constitutes a  "manufactured grievance". Again,  allowing students to return to their accomodation has resulted in thousands of cases and the possible destruction of large parts of the hospitality industry and huge disruption to millions of people. Allow me to not give a flying **** about students "peer group interaction" or "mental health", a term which nowadays is used more commonly to refer to one or two of the problems or bumps in the road that all of us face. Being responsible for finding your own way around these issues is part of life. It also does no favours to those who genuinely suffer from mental illness.

You are misrepresenting what is happening to support your own agenda. Mental health issues have been cited as a major problem in this pandemic. I assume that applies whether you have existing conditions or not or whether you are a student or not. Have you not done so yourself?

What is the catastrophic government decision that resulted in 2500 deaths? You are claiming that the government aided by their scientists willfully placed covid positive patients in care homes causing 2500 deaths. That is just not true. For one thing the private care homes were not compelled to take anybody. If you know that the government made this or similar happen then show us your evidence.

Its interesting that you have so much concern for the hospitality industry much of which will recover after this is all over apart from some who were going under anyway. You seem to have none for the university sector which is much more important as it provides our society with highly skilled people and leading edge technology. They also play a significant part in educating people and preparing them for productive lives. Whilst i don't want to see anybody lose their job i'm not massively convinced that very many hospitality venues will suffer all that much in the long run if they have a decent product to sell. I actually don't care that much about the "huge disruption" to "millions of people" because i don't really know what it is. Perhaps you could explain.

25 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

You are misrepresenting what is happening to support your own agenda. Mental health issues have been cited as a major problem in this pandemic. I assume that applies whether you have existing conditions or not or whether you are a student or not. Have you not done so yourself?

What is the catastrophic government decision that resulted in 2500 deaths? You are claiming that the government aided by their scientists willfully placed covid positive patients in care homes causing 2500 deaths. That is just not true. For one thing the private care homes were not compelled to take anybody. If you know that the government made this or similar happen then show us your evidence.

Its interesting that you have so much concern for the hospitality industry much of which will recover after this is all over apart from some who were going under anyway. You seem to have none for the university sector which is much more important as it provides our society with highly skilled people and leading edge technology. They also play a significant part in educating people and preparing them for productive lives. Whilst i don't want to see anybody lose their job i'm not massively convinced that very many hospitality venues will suffer all that much in the long run if they have a decent product to sell. I actually don't care that much about the "huge disruption" to "millions of people" because i don't really know what it is. Perhaps you could explain.

They never deliberately placed positive patients In care homes but they put them there none the less and they praised Malcolm Wright Director of Social care,
this was in a letter from Jeane Freeman. Stating that 57% freeing of hospital beds had been achieved now that to me Was a Government Admission  and you can find the letter online If you care to look 

33 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But on average about 55 a day are dying of or more precisely with Covid. The other 1645 are of no account. Some of them will be dying or will die as a result of an 18 week backlog in hospital treatment for cancer and other potentially life saving treatments.  The BBC news just now did not ask why that backlog has been allowed to grow over a three month period when hospitals have been emptier than that have been for a long time maybe ever since the NHS was set up.Instead we got the usual propaganda about how the NHS is facing up to a combination of the flu season not yet begun and the surge of Covid admissions which is still a small fraction of the rate back in April. And a complaint that doctors and nurses are suffering mental anguish because the relatives of Covid victims are not being given the opportunity to.observe what a great job they are doing! This is apparently traumatic for these health service professionals.

And that is the nub of the matter. Focussing solely on Covid is missing the bigger picture. Put any one of various diseases in the spotlight and highlight the stats daily, the public will be brainwashed into thinking it's the only show in town. The BBC are complicit in this scaremongering campaign.  Prioritising Covid cases and "lives" ahead of other equally and more serious illnesses, denying them life saving treatment in the process, is callous.

26 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I'm not claiming they deliberately did it but they took the decision and it was catastrophic,  resulting in 2500 deaths. A future judge led inquiry will no doubt apportion blame. Relying on the false scientific modelling was the catalyst for that decision. 

Regarding the rest of your points, I really don't where to start...so better just leave it at that.

3fingersreid
39 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I’m not sure if you’re trying to just get a bite on that, if you were you’ve succeeded  , but given the thousands of job loses already and the very very many about to come ,I think, and this is just my opinion , that’s a bit crass ,cruel and uncalled for . Worldwide normal everyday people will have their lives turned upside down . 

coconut doug
48 minutes ago, samgolden said:

They never deliberately placed positive patients In care homes but they put them there none the less and they praised Malcolm Wright Director of Social care,
this was in a letter from Jeane Freeman. Stating that 57% freeing of hospital beds had been achieved now that to me Was a Government Admission  and you can find the letter online If you care to look 

There was a policy to remove people from hospital tothe community. There always was it's just that Covid actually made it happen. That's not what Enzo is saying.

coconut doug
33 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m not sure if you’re trying to just get a bite on that, if you were you’ve succeeded  , but given the thousands of job loses already and the very very many about to come ,I think, and this is just my opinion , that’s a bit crass ,cruel and uncalled for . Worldwide normal everyday people will have their lives turned upside down . 

You missed the bit where i said i don't want anybody to lose their job. I still don't know what this huge disruption is though because as yet nobody has told me. It was Enzo's claim and he should provide the detail.

SectionFJambo

I'm not a fan of the latest rules however the stats do to me seem to be starting to justify this. Yes the death figures aren't particularly high day to day so far but we have gone from a consistent and regular zero to five a day. Based on the way the disease reacts it's generally accepted that those dying now are probably about 21-28 days into this. 

When you take the positive tests, ICU admissions which generally are escalating quickly if the deaths do similar then in 2-3 weeks time those deaths may well be a figure people start to note again. It probably says a lot for lockdown fatigue that it's going to take hundreds of deaths a day before people accept the necessity of some of the steps. When you look at the patterns it does seem to be coming sadly.

On the other side the latest measures are a bit of a farce. fair enough do a lockdown of sort, close things but at least make sense. People can't see families at home but are ok to meet same people in a pub or cafe in some areas. it's time to focus on enforcement. The arseholes who think a house party is a good idea or just completely ignore masks etc. These are the people spreading it and not the people who are doing everything right but want to go and see their elderly parents who are also doing everything right.

Old firm day should be interesting. Will Police Scotland actually go out and deal with those ignoring the rules.....

3fingersreid
2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

You missed the bit where i said i don't want anybody to lose their job. I still don't know what this huge disruption is though because as yet nobody has told me. It was Enzo's claim and he should provide the detail.

I think the huge disruption will be and is people losing their jobs . Until you’ve experienced it ( you personally might’ve , I have) it’s a hell of a place to be in . 

SectionFJambo

One further observation would be that this is clearly a disease that can kill anyone like many things such as strokes, aneurysm's etc. We need to balance fear against probability.  I've absolutely no doubt a small number of people under 60 have died of Covid who didn't have underlying health conditions however we all see the stories of perfectly healthy 40 year old's dropping dead too. 

It seems those who have most to worry about are potentially 65 plus and with serious underlying conditions - a minor case of Asthma or such isn't that. 

If this does go on long term then it may well need to be that some sort of targeted herd immunity is tried with those at most risk shielding to rough out the worst of it. I've no doubt that won't be good for peoples mental health however it does appear to me that if the vaccine isn't hear in the next 6 months at some point we will need this to be fought head on to prevent far worse outcomes from keeping up as is. 

The health figures for this time next year dare I say may look pretty horrific with deaths from of the more moderate cancers and such like which have been allowed to go untreated and many people who could have survived it will be indirect covid victims.

coconut doug
7 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I think the huge disruption will be and is people losing their jobs . Until you’ve experienced it ( you personally might’ve , I have) it’s a hell of a place to be in . 

Why not just say that then. I said clearly i didn't want anybody to lose their job, like almost everybody else i know how that feels. I wouldn't describe losing my job as "massive disruption" though. A devastating blow or a kick in the teeth seem more appropriate to me in any case he is talking about millions of people so i think he means people not getting access to the pub. He can speak for himself though.

coconut doug
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm not claiming they deliberately did it but they took the decision and it was catastrophic,  resulting in 2500 deaths. A future judge led inquiry will no doubt apportion blame. Relying on the false scientific modelling was the catalyst for that decision. 

Regarding the rest of your points, I really don't where to start...so better just leave it at that.

Are you now telling us that you don't think it was deliberate to discharge patients from hospital. So no culpability then. Who makes the decision to discharge do you think? Is it the clinicians and hospital managers or is it the politicians?

You think 2500 people died as a result of this and that it can be blamed or attributed to the politicians nonetheless. Is that correct?

Don't you think that the care homes themselves had some responsibility to look after their residents? Why did they not have adequate PPE for their staff in some homes? Is it not the case that staff shortages meant agency staff brought Covid into care homes as well. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/31/uk-care-home-staff-at-breaking-point-as-coronavirus-cases-rise

Is this not yet another example of the private sector failing to deliver on its core purpose?

coconut doug
58 minutes ago, jonesy said:

If you don't, then at worst you are probably a sociopath. At best, you are a Jambo in, oh, I don't know, let's pick at a typical town in Scotland... Hamilton.

Straight in with the personal insult. What's the second bit about, is it some sort of attempt to label me? You sound like a bully looking for a victim.

JudyJudyJudy

Like a few others I think the SG will

eventually  go down the herd immunity route , after “ exhausting “ various permutations of lockdowns , which have all ultimately failed .They won’t explicitly say it’s that policy .  They will advise older adults and the vulnerable to shield if they so wish . They will also be honest that we need to accept , sadly there will be deaths but will try keep it low as possible . They will claim it’s all for the good of the economy ( correct ) 

8 hours ago, luckydug said:

Where is this magical place in the world that is operating normally at the moment.?

You actually think the government are deliberately killing people 😂

?

Unknown user
11 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My wee sister caught that swine flu a few years ago. Oh how we laughed. Said she'd had worse colds.

I had the human version of foot and mouth disease as a kid.

One of my favourite diseases, 2 full weeks off school and I felt great. 8/10, would recommend.

joondalupjambo

Believe it or not, and I know it has all been said previously on here but I cannot find the exact page and quote.  It was quoted that pubs outside the restricted areas could only sell alcoholic drinks outside between 6.00pm and 10.00pm, that was the last I read about it but is that right?  Can they not sell it outside from their opening times until 10.00pm?  

Reason I ask is that when playing golf yesterday there were near fights between two of my mates over this, both having differing views and so it left me thinking what I actually thought might be the case is not now.  A quick clarification would be appreciated.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

One of my favourite diseases, 2 full weeks off school and I felt great. 8/10, would recommend.

Nice one, Schmit. There was an outbreak of that at a resort I was on Holiday at last year. Looked grim but the kids seemed neither up nor down. 👍

Unknown user
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Nice one, Schmit. There was an outbreak of that at a resort I was on Holiday at last year. Looked grim but the kids seemed neither up nor down. 👍

Literally just these spot things on the hands, feet and in the mouth and Bang! Bananaman and Lucozade all day for 2 weeks while my pals did sums. Superb. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Literally just these spot things on the hands, feet and in the mouth and Bang! Bananaman and Lucozade all day for 2 weeks while my pals did sums. Superb. 

The very defenition of winning, Schmit.

What a wonderfully heart-warming tale of indirect good fortune to wake up to on a Friday morning. Thanks.

Have a great day, mate. You deserve it.

👍

jack D and coke
7 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And that is the nub of the matter. Focussing solely on Covid is missing the bigger picture. Put any one of various diseases in the spotlight and highlight the stats daily, the public will be brainwashed into thinking it's the only show in town. The BBC are complicit in this scaremongering campaign.  Prioritising Covid cases and "lives" ahead of other equally and more serious illnesses, denying them life saving treatment in the process, is callous.

Heard on radio yesterday in England and Wales there was a waiting list of about 12k people for

operations. That’s now grown to over 120k due to Covid. 1m women have also missed screening due to Covid meaning that by law of averages 8.5k of them now have breast cancer they don’t know about.
The madness just seems to keep piling up where this is concerned. I’m sure they’ll be talking about a third wave very soon too. 

17 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Believe it or not, and I know it has all been said previously on here but I cannot find the exact page and quote.  It was quoted that pubs outside the restricted areas could only sell alcoholic drinks outside between 6.00pm and 10.00pm, that was the last I read about it but is that right?  Can they not sell it outside from their opening times until 10.00pm?  

Reason I ask is that when playing golf yesterday there were near fights between two of my mates over this, both having differing views and so it left me thinking what I actually thought might be the case is not now.  A quick clarification would be appreciated.

Anytime outdoors until 10pm.

In other parts of the country, pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes will be able to open indoors until 18:00 - but only to serve food and non-alcoholic drinks.

However, they will be able to serve alcohol in outdoor settings such as beer gardens until 22:00, with the current rules on no more than six people from two households remaining in place.

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, coconut doug said:

You certainly know how to manufacture a grievance though.

Coming from a staunch cultist that's rich. Hilarious in fact. :rofl:

Seymour M Hersh
37 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Going by some of your posts it appears you still have it. ::troll::

Unknown user
34 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The very defenition of winning, Schmit.

What a wonderfully heart-warming tale of indirect good fortune to wake up to on a Friday morning. Thanks.

Have a great day, mate. You deserve it.

👍

To you and yours old chap 

7 hours ago, SectionFJambo said:

I'm not a fan of the latest rules however the stats do to me seem to be starting to justify this. Yes the death figures aren't particularly high day to day so far but we have gone from a consistent and regular zero to five a day. Based on the way the disease reacts it's generally accepted that those dying now are probably about 21-28 days into this. 

When you take the positive tests, ICU admissions which generally are escalating quickly if the deaths do similar then in 2-3 weeks time those deaths may well be a figure people start to note again. It probably says a lot for lockdown fatigue that it's going to take hundreds of deaths a day before people accept the necessity of some of the steps. When you look at the patterns it does seem to be coming sadly.

On the other side the latest measures are a bit of a farce. fair enough do a lockdown of sort, close things but at least make sense. People can't see families at home but are ok to meet same people in a pub or cafe in some areas. it's time to focus on enforcement. The arseholes who think a house party is a good idea or just completely ignore masks etc. These are the people spreading it and not the people who are doing everything right but want to go and see their elderly parents who are also doing everything right.

Old firm day should be interesting. Will Police Scotland actually go out and deal with those ignoring the rules.....

:spoton:

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any place for your reasoned, sensible and can-see-both-sides post on this thread...

Governor Tarkin
35 minutes ago, FWJ said:

:spoton:

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any place for your reasoned, sensible and can-see-both-sides post on this thread...

Conversely, I think S-F-J's reasoned, sensible, and can-see-both sides post is exactly what most people on this thread are actually thinking.

It doesn't make good box-office though, and many inevitably want to make this yet another spin-off of the 550 page Scottish independence and devolution superthread. For some almost everything seems necessarily viewed through this lens.

It's a shame, as a few of the more cerebral posters seem to have abandoned their one-time amiable and reasoned posting style and imported their indy/b*astard Tory debate bitterness and wummery into almost everything they post.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s being reported that, vulnerable in England are going to be advised to shield. It seems the requirement may be part of the new 3 tier restrictions.

It looks likely the instruction in the North of England could be given very soon. 

Report in times. 

No great surprise - an imperfect solution but probably a necessary evil leading to a lesser shielding light as time goes on - no easy answers

necessary why? Well because some of the balance of the 1700 deaths that FA rightly keeps reminding us of will soon make it on to the telly

and the excess deaths to follow

plus the jobs carnage

all on a telly near you soon

3fingersreid
8 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Why not just say that then. I said clearly i didn't want anybody to lose their job, like almost everybody else i know how that feels. I wouldn't describe losing my job as "massive disruption" though. A devastating blow or a kick in the teeth seem more appropriate to me in any case he is talking about millions of people so i think he means people not getting access to the pub. He can speak for himself though.

Firstly I’m not defending or siding with anyone , I’m merely pointing out that your choice of wording could be better? 

I’m referring to the part that you said , “ I actually don’t care that much “. 
I don’t believe that for a minute because there will no doubt someone you know affected by this pandemic and you will be concerned for them surely? 

30 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Conversely, I think S-F-J's reasoned, sensible, and can-see-both sides post is exactly what most people on this thread are actually thinking.

It doesn't make good box-office though, and many inevitably want to make this yet another spin-off of the 550 page Scottish independence and devolution superthread. For some almost everything seems necessarily viewed through this lens.

It's a shame, as a few of the more cerebral posters seem to have abandoned their one-time amiable and reasoned posting style and imported their indy/b*astard Tory debate bitterness and wummery into almost everything they post.

I wish they would post more often and dilute the hyperbole.

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Unfortunately all these types of thread end up in a political bun fight. 

On a more positive note I'm up and ready for a big breakfast and ready for a noon start swally. No time to waste.

🍺🍺🍺

Hope all is well at home.

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Heard on radio yesterday in England and Wales there was a waiting list of about 12k people for

operations. That’s now grown to over 120k due to Covid. 1m women have also missed screening due to Covid meaning that by law of averages 8.5k of them now have breast cancer they don’t know about.
The madness just seems to keep piling up where this is concerned. I’m sure they’ll be talking about a third wave very soon too. 

A boy on the telly yesterday mentioned a third wave!! I think eventually the government will need to come to the realisation that it’s here and we will have to live with it.

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Even those close to Nicky aren’t believing her anymore 

D06A3B9A-2902-44CE-8676-E367334BC83B.jpeg

🤣. Just reflects what the Scottish people are doing at home, well the 5% who actually watch the daily repeats

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

A boy on the telly yesterday mentioned a third wave!! I think eventually the government will need to come to the realisation that it’s here and we will have to live with it.

With a bit of luck we can open up again, and hopefully re-infect China

Governor Tarkin
18 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

On a more positive note I'm up and ready for a big breakfast and ready for a noon start swally. No time to waste.

🍺🍺🍺

All is well TRM, thanks.

No sign of new the arrival yet so No1 Son is getting punted off to his Auntie's down in the borders this afternoon for some essential childcare while the Mrs and I have a table booked down Morningside mid-afternoon for a late-lunch/early dinner. I'll limit myself to a couple of slow drinks and the Mrs might even treat herself to a small glass of wine with her meal - or a half pint of that disgusting domestic cooking lager she favours.

Enjoy your day and be sure to make the most of it while we still can. 🙂 🍻 👍

Ok so someone is lying as Chris Whitty has said 30% of virus spread is happening in pubs and restaurants but I have read on here it is a tiny amount.Not pointing fingers at anyone just that the data must be very different from each source.

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

All is well TRM, thanks.

No sign of new the arrival yet so No1 Son is getting punted off to his Auntie's down in the borders this afternoon for some essential childcare while the Mrs and I have a table booked down Morningside mid-afternoon for a late-lunch/early dinner. I'll limit myself to a couple of slow drinks and the Mrs might even treat herself to a small glass of wine with her meal - or a half pint of that disgusting domestic cooking lager she favours.

Enjoy your day and be sure to make the most of it while we still can. 🙂 🍻 👍

You enjoy the rest of the day.

Take care.

🍷🍺

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

🍺🍺🍺

Enjoy 

19 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

If he's a doctor then I'm a nuclear physicist with a million in the bank and  a 12 incher.

you have a pm

N Lincs Jambo
33 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Ok so someone is lying as Chris Whitty has said 30% of virus spread is happening in pubs and restaurants but I have read on here it is a tiny amount.Not pointing fingers at anyone just that the data must be very different from each source.

My money would be on Chris Whitty lying. £38 Million research grant from the B&M G foundation and a nice wee number lined up at the WHO.....  Oh and Vallance with his £600K shareholding in GSK. No conflict of interests there...

24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Where's the other 70% being transmitted? (not being wide, genuinely interested!).

The vast majority of cases are being spread in people's homes.

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Ray Gin said:

The vast majority of cases are being spread in people's homes.

It should stop spreading in a few months then as being homeless will be a reality for many if this continues.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic