Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

AlphonseCapone
22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Two years ago the flu jab was next to useless, WHO picked the wrong strains to put into the jab and the strain that hit wasn't in the jab, lots of people died as a result.

Exactly. Barely a word said, and I'd imagine most of the posters currently building underground bunkers in their gardens didn't even notice. 

19 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Yeah mate ‘piss my pants’ worrying about something that could impact my kids.  You clearly don’t have young children. 

and yes I do worry about all those other things listed above when it comes to my children,  all responsible parents do.  This is now something else to add to the list. Not instead of, in addition to.  

Stop making assumptions man. That's what has you worrying in the first place. It's natural you worry for your kids, I'm not having a go about that. All people are trying to explain to you is that your worry about coronavirus is currently misplaced versus the numerous other things that are more likely to kill you or a loved one. Just relax. Unless you've been to one of the hotpots your chances are crazily remote of picking it up, assuming you're here in the UK. And even if you or your kids pick it up, you're still significantly more likely to live than die. Like 98 out of 100 times without considering other factors like your age and health. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Exactly. Barely a word said, and I'd imagine most of the posters currently building underground bunkers in their gardens didn't even notice. 

Stop making assumptions man. That's what has you worrying in the first place. It's natural you worry for your kids, I'm not having a go about that. All people are trying to explain to you is that your worry about coronavirus is currently misplaced versus the numerous other things that are more likely to kill you or a loved one. Just relax. Unless you've been to one of the hotpots you're chances are crazily remote of picking it up, assuming you're here in the UK. And even if you or your kids pick it up, you're still significantly more likely to live than die. Like 98 out of 100 times without considering other factors like your age and health. 

Fair enough mate, apologies I’m just tired and it’s making me paranoid.  Not helped by the fact I am supposed to be going to China for work in four weeks!  And I’m not joking!! 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

27 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Two years ago the flu jab was next to useless, WHO picked the wrong strains to put into the jab and the strain that hit wasn't in the jab, lots of people died as a result.

Thats bullshit. WHO make an educated guess on what might evolve from the then known virus. To say its a "wrong" decision is plain wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Fair enough mate, apologies I’m just tired and it’s making me paranoid.  Not helped by the fact I am supposed to be going to China for work in four weeks!  And I’m not joking!! 

Out here in N Italy no one is panicing. Public gatherings are pretty much binned but I've just been speaking to an English  couple here on business. They are going home because the business fairs they came for are cancelled ie Milan & Parma .  There is no panic here just common sense. 

This is an nightmare of epic proportions I returned from that area last week thankfully I think everything is ok

What really pisses me off is this doctor who new what the consequence would be decides to to go on holiday and doesn't give a shit about anybody, hopefully nobody dies but if it happens this guy is taken to task.

Walter Bishop

Anyone believe the man made biological weapon rumours? Apparently was originally intended for crowd controlling protestors. 

Edited by Walter Bishop

Jambo, Goodbye
1 hour ago, Cade said:

A few selected Risk of death stats:

Infection: 1 in 709  - 0.14%

Lung Cancer: 1 in 42 - 2.38%

Alcohol abuse: 1 in 124 - 0.81%

Heart disease: 1 in 33 - 3.03%

Appendicitis/Pancreatitis: 1 in 548 - 0.18%

Accidental injury: 1 in 51 - 1.96%

Transport accident: 1 in 422 - 0.24%

Suicide: 1 in 140 - 0.71%

Worry about those.

Except that none of these are contagious. So it's a completely pointless list. 

The flu is contagious but has a very very low death rate so nobody under an OAP age really worries about it. This new virus has a pretty high death rate in comparison. 

It's not that difficult to understand why some will be worried. I don't get the urge to show them up as panic stricken drama queens 🤷‍♂️

People simply don't want this to become as common as the flu is,  for very obvious reasons. 

8 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

No one is laughing it off. But there is nothing to deflect from. People are rightly pointing out that you should be more concerned about the normal flu than this. At this particular moment. 

I'm fecked with the flu as I speak. And it still hasn't hit properly. It's the shaking and the unbearable cough, where you think your lungs are going to explode, while bringing up concrete flem.

Working outside in this weather isn't helping either.

I'm gubbing smarty tubes of tablets in all varieties, from painkillers to anti biotics. It's gonnae cost me money, as I think I'm gonnae have to take time aff.

Anyway as you say, the flu is what we should be mindful of. 600 people in the UK died of it last year. 600!!! Dying from the FLU!!! I was shocked when I heard that.

Anyway, again!, take care of yourselves everyone!

Looks like the Olympic games may realistically be under threat. Or is it? may be realistically. (Or even Maybe or might) Bloody flu! 

Edited by ri Alban

54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm fecked with the flu as I speak. And it still hasn't hit properly. It's the shaking and the unbearable cough, where you think your lungs are going to explode, while bringing up concrete flem.

I'm gubbing smarty tubes of tablets in all varieties, from painkillers to anti biotics. It's gonnae cost me money, as I think I'm gonnae have to take time aff.

Anyway as you say, the flu is what we should be mindful of. 600 people in the UK died of it last year. 600!!! Dying from the FLU!!! I was shocked when I heard that.

Sounds like you have a cold. No chance you'd be making it to work with influenza. 

10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Sounds like you have a cold. No chance you'd be making it to work with influenza. 

I know the difference and it's no cold, as my Doctor has already confirmed.

But some folk need to work come hell or high water and some people are made of chocolate. I'll be in the day for about 3 hours, then I'm going home for the rest of the week( Need to finish covering a roof with felt nd battens) to munch medicine and drink bevvy in a big hot bath. 

But thanks for your cyber diagnosis 👍

Edited by ri Alban

Салатные палочки
8 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Anyone believe the man made biological weapon rumours? Apparently was originally intended for crowd controlling protestors. 

Careful. They'll be accusing you of wearing a ton foil hat. They don't like the old conspiracy theories on here. 

4 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Careful. They'll be accusing you of wearing a ton foil hat. They don't like the old conspiracy theories on here. 

8 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Anything is possible. But I'll go with the being passed from Animals theory. 

Салатные палочки
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Anything is possible. But I'll go with the being passed from Animals theory. 

I'll be honest that my first thought was it is a man made virus although used to keep the population under control. 

4 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I'll be honest that my first thought was it is a man made virus although used to keep the population under control. 

Was there unrest in Wuhan etc...? 

Салатные палочки
11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Was there unrest in Wuhan etc...? 

Not that I'm aware of. I should have said to keep the population down. 

10 hours ago, jamborich said:

This is an nightmare of epic proportions I returned from that area last week thankfully I think everything is ok

What really pisses me off is this doctor who new what the consequence would be decides to to go on holiday and doesn't give a shit about anybody, hopefully nobody dies but if it happens this guy is taken to task.

Your assuming that he was ill before he left Italy to go on holiday.

From the news reports yesterday, it said that he was on day 6 of a 7 day holiday and had been unwell for a couple of days prior to seeking medical attention on day 6, meaning that he took ill whilst in Tenerife and not before.

If he had been ill before leaving to go on holiday, then that is a different story, but that's not the way it seems.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why are you taking anti-biotics for the flu, won't do the slightest bit of good as the flu is a virus, more to the point how did you get/who handed out anti-biotics for the flu, I thought they were limiting the use of anti-biotics nowadays.

Салатные палочки
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Your assuming that he was ill before he left Italy to go on holiday.

From the news reports yesterday, it said that he was on day 6 of a 7 day holiday and had been unwell for a couple of days prior to seeking medical attention on day 6, meaning that he took ill whilst in Tenerife and not before.

If he had been ill before leaving to go on holiday, then that is a different story, but that's not the way it seems.

Surely there is an incubation period though.  

33 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Surely there is an incubation period though.  

Yes there is, but during that period your asymptomatic.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I know the difference and it's no cold, as my Doctor has already confirmed.

But some folk need to work come hell or high water and some people are made of chocolate. I'll be in the day for about 3 hours, then I'm going home for the rest of the week( Need to finish covering a roof with felt nd battens) to munch medicine and drink bevvy in a big hot bath. 

But thanks for your cyber diagnosis 👍

I don’t know what you do for work but if you work beside people and you say you have the flu do you think it’s right to go into work and pass it on to everyone? 

Салатные палочки
28 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes there is, but during that period your asymptomatic.

Yip, apologies.  I read your post wrong.  I thought you had said he might have caught it in Tenerife.  

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Looks like the Olympic games may realistically be under threat. Or is it? may be realistically. (Or even Maybe or might) Bloody flu! 

IOC have confirmed they are planning as normal. Japan football fixtures and some other sports are postponed until Mid-March but they intent to go ahead as normal after this point. Just trying to limit the spread, even though it hasn't been that bad in Japan (most are on that ship) - maybe because people are healthy and have decent healthcare?

I optimistically think this time next month, we'll be seeing just about the end of it's spread in most places and focus will be on recovery. I see some stores and restaurants are re-opening in some of the affected places in China as more recover and return to 'normal' living.

I certainly hope so anyway, I've planned 4 football matches, 2 gigs and a Sumo tournament for my trip to Japan in April! But if I need to sit in a pub for the three weeks, so be it!

Shanks said no
19 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

A 2.6% death rate (if accurate) would give you a 1-in-39 chance of kicking the bucket. Not even comparable to the bloody flu!

Though I do agree that the media are doing their best to stir things up for a good headline. 

Meanwhile in Raccoon City (Daegu) I'm stuck indoors until March 9th 😒

Here's my email below,

20200225_231750.thumb.jpg.611a939344a411083d87c4d81f03f694.jpg

Hope you are well

mind me asking why you are stuck indoors? The advice you attached relates to someone who has been in contact with a diagnosed infectee. Are you being instructed to do this?

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Why are you taking anti-biotics for the flu, won't do the slightest bit of good as the flu is a virus, more to the point how did you get/who handed out anti-biotics for the flu, I thought they were limiting the use of anti-biotics nowadays.

I've a lump on my back that's became a cyst. It's infected and was the reason I went to doctors. Only to told I'm fecked with the flu and I need to go for the prostate cancer camera thingy anaw.  Which I bottled out of over a year ago.

Edited by ri Alban

35 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I've a lump on my back that's became a cyst. It's infected and was the reason I went to doctors. Only to told I'm fecked with the flu and I need to go for the prostate cancer camera thingy anaw.  Which I bottled out of over a year ago.

That explains it then, because I know they are trying to cut back on the use of anti-biotics.

Jambo, Goodbye
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hope you are well

mind me asking why you are stuck indoors? The advice you attached relates to someone who has been in contact with a diagnosed infectee. Are you being instructed to do this?

Cheers man,  I'm all good here. Not one to join into a mass panic but not being complacent either. 

Yeah I'm being instructed to follow these guidelines until March 9th. I'm not sure if it's only English teachers in Daegu or if it's all Korean Government employees (also me). 

These kind of instructions are being sent to every single citizen in the city by text message. We're also receiving endless updates which list all known locations to avoid. All known locations where infected people being treated have been leading up to their diagnosis, and plenty reminders to wear masks if out in public. 

Businesses won't even allow you to enter unless you have a mask on your face. 

Loads of businesses closed altogether this week and the few that are open are looking very empty indeed. 

Jambo, Goodbye
3 hours ago, Cade said:

:conspiracy:

And with that, this thread dies on it's arse.

I hope it keeps going,  for once I feel genuinely ITK 😂

Nicholas Brody

We've had folk at our work sent home as they had just returned from Hong Kong and other high risk areas.  I see that there is folk in London who went into work showing symptoms after being in these areas. Surely, you just wouldn't go in? Some common sense is invaluable at time like this.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I had something similar last year. The infection wouldn't shift after a course of anti-biotics so I ended up in the western getting it cut out. Not gonna lie, it was horrific. Just like popping a massive spot with a scalpel. That's after the injections to numb it. Then your left with a hole in your neck that they stuff with bandage as they cant let it heal over the top as you'll just be left with a cavity that believe it or not, is at risk to infection! After that its trips to the GP so they can replace the bandage that's stuffed into your neck until the hole has filled up enough.

Really hope the tablets work :thumbsup:

Walter Bishop

What's the point of quarantine and why 14 days? Surely everyone is going to come into contact with it, similar to flu or cold. And how many times do you quarantine yourself? 

I think they are placing on their hopes on it being seasonal and that the warmer weather kills it. 

Edited by Walter Bishop

25 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

What's the point of quarantine and why 14 days? Surely everyone is going to come into contact with it, similar to flu or cold. And how many times do you quarantine yourself? 

I think they are placing on their hopes on it being seasonal and that the warmer weather kills it. 

They believe that 14 days is the maximum incubation period, that is why people are being quarantined for that period.

Because it's a new virus we have no immunity to it, unlike the cold or the flu which we have had many years of exposure to in our lifetime and therefore have built up some immunity towards it, even babies because they gain the anti-bodies from the mother, Covid-19 on the otherhand, no immunity.

The warmer weather won't kill it, but as with normal colds & flu the infection rates drastically fall during the better warmer weather, they don't disappear or go away during the summer, just the infection rate goes down, in part to people being outside more.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They believe that 14 days is the maximum incubation period, that is why people are being quarantined for that period.

Because it's a new virus we have no immunity to it, unlike the cold or the flu which we have had many years of exposure to in our lifetime and therefore have built up some immunity towards it, even babies because they gain the anti-bodies from the mother, Covid-19 on the otherhand, no immunity.

The warmer weather won't kill it, but as with normal colds & flu the infection rates drastically fall during the better warmer weather, they don't disappear or go away during the summer, just the infection rate goes down, in part to people being outside more.

Strangely, children seem to have dealt with the virus very well. From reading some medical sites, very few are being infected and the ones that have been infected, have experienced little or no negative effects.

11 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Strangely, children seem to have dealt with the virus very well. From reading some medical sites, very few are being infected and the ones that have been infected, have experienced little or no negative effects.

Yeh I read an American article saying the same and they didn't have a clue as to why kids don't seem to have fallen ill in the numbers they would have expected, yet another of the unknowns about this virus.

Remember the Spainish flu outbreak in 1918 predominantly targeted young fit people, it left the very young & the old relatively untouched in comparison, guess it comes down to the make-up of the bug.

1 hour ago, Nicholas Brody said:

We've had folk at our work sent home as they had just returned from Hong Kong and other high risk areas.  I see that there is folk in London who went into work showing symptoms after being in these areas. Surely, you just wouldn't go in? Some common sense is invaluable at time like this.

I had something similar last year. The infection wouldn't shift after a course of anti-biotics so I ended up in the western getting it cut out. Not gonna lie, it was horrific. Just like popping a massive spot with a scalpel. That's after the injections to numb it. Then your left with a hole in your neck that they stuff with bandage as they cant let it heal over the top as you'll just be left with a cavity that believe it or not, is at risk to infection! After that its trips to the GP so they can replace the bandage that's stuffed into your neck until the hole has filled up enough.

Really hope the tablets work :thumbsup:

Yip, this is my second, the first was a hospital job, as you say, by a student Doctor. Took a while to heal. I was down to see the nurse having the packing and dressing changed quite a few times. Scarred for life. :D

Brighton Jambo
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Someone said they were worried about their children. 

But children don't seem to be affected badly. 

More on why here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/why-kids-missing-coronavirus-cases.html

That was me!  Thanks for posting that link, genuinely has eased my concerns significantly.

much appreciated! 

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh I read an American article saying the same and they didn't have a clue as to why kids don't seem to have fallen ill in the numbers they would have expected, yet another of the unknowns about this virus.

Remember the Spainish flu outbreak in 1918 predominantly targeted young fit people, it left the very young & the old relatively untouched in comparison, guess it comes down to the make-up of the bug.

I do find this virus fascinating. Look at Singapore, not a single fatality (yet) from the 93 cases and have already discharged 62.

You see quite a few countries with zero deaths and around 40-50 infections. There doesn't seem to be any corresponding factor you can link to them all. Maybe air quality? As Northern Italy, China and (a bit of a guess) Iran are more industrial areas, so maybe more polluted? Just a complete guess mind.

From the stats below, it's either run its course and less fatal than initially thought. Or it's in the slow process of spreading more and we'll see deaths increase. I'm not so sure about the latter, as Asian countries have been dealing with this now almost 2 months and most are still only double figures for infections. Considering the populations of Tawian for example, 24 million people and only 32 infections after 2 months seems like something not worth worrying about at all!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

17 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

I’ve had a cold, sometimes feverish, and shortness of breath for the past 2 weeks. 

I’m doomed I tell you! 

before you perish can you go and watch hamilton and st mirren train, maybe roll about with the players. and if you can still face it have a meeting with CL and AM

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

before you perish can you go and watch hamilton and st mirren train, maybe roll about with the players. and if you can still face it have a meeting with CL and AM

😂😂😂

Edited by Swanny17

1919 Spanish Flu didn't target young and healthy people.

It infected everybody it could.

That particular pathogen caused healthy immune systems to go into overdrive and produce too many white blood cells and the body went into an autoimmune state and attacked itself.

That's why most of the dead were young, fit and healthy. A quirk of the virus.

People with weaker immune systems actually did better as their weaker system was able to fight off the Spanish flu without going bonkers and attacking their own body.

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

:gok: 

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

1919 Spanish Flu didn't target young and healthy people.

It infected everybody it could.

That particular pathogen caused healthy immune systems to go into overdrive and produce too many white blood cells and the body went into an autoimmune state and attacked itself.

That's why most of the dead were young, fit and healthy. A quirk of the virus.

People with weaker immune systems actually did better as their weaker system was able to fight off the Spanish flu without going bonkers and attacking their own body.

I stand corrected, cheers.

29 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I do find this virus fascinating. Look at Singapore, not a single fatality (yet) from the 93 cases and have already discharged 62.

You see quite a few countries with zero deaths and around 40-50 infections. There doesn't seem to be any corresponding factor you can link to them all. Maybe air quality? As Northern Italy, China and (a bit of a guess) Iran are more industrial areas, so maybe more polluted? Just a complete guess mind.

From the stats below, it's either run its course and less fatal than initially thought. Or it's in the slow process of spreading more and we'll see deaths increase. I'm not so sure about the latter, as Asian countries have been dealing with this now almost 2 months and most are still only double figures for infections. Considering the populations of Tawian for example, 24 million people and only 32 infections after 2 months seems like something not worth worrying about at all!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I heard an off the cuff remark made by one expert last week or so, I think he was just speculating but what he said could have had some truth in it, again only in time when a full analysis of all the data will show if there was any substance in what this doctor said.

He said that the data he had seen from China indicated that most of the dead in China were amongst elderly men and he speculated that as China has a very large proportion of smokers who happen to mostly be men could there be a link, he admitted more data is needed.

You mentioned air quality & air pollution, maybe that does play a part, maybe also being a smoker increases your chances of dying from the viral pneumonia which this virus often infects patients with.

Again it's unknown if there is a link with xyz or indeed abc with Covid-19, in time we'll know everything about it, but until then, it's if buts & maybes.

Jambo, Goodbye
2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Slowing it down until we know more about it?

i think it takes time to manifest itself too, and until we have a vaccine.

I'm guessing if few people catch it and it's contained, it could be eradicated. 

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic