Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Dont you remember when our Govt tried to take us into Iraq and Afghanistan. A million marched against it and the Govt backed down. It’s a British tradition, just ask Red. 

There were a few articles in media over weekend, nearly all Sunday broadsheets carried one, where 'experts' and civil liberty campaigners spoke out against the lockdown and advocated just getting back to normal and letting the virus run its course.

Saw one from John Humphries where he basically stated old people should just ignore any warnings and carry on as usual because they were old and had earned the right to do as they wanted. He seems to be willing to take the chance if he catches infection, then that is a risk worth taking. What it doesn't state is what his reaction would be if he caught and passed it on to his son, or grandchildren. Very selfish attitude to have, but it does seem to be more prevalent than I would have thought.

As time goes by, and if the current lockdown works to reduce numbers, then we can expect to see more articles and publicity given to these people as they will say that 'look, not as serious as everyone thought, why do we need this to continue, let's get back to normal asap'.

I guess you need to acknowledge the opposite is true and if virus really isn't as serious as believed and rates aren't as high, then people will claim current policies saved lives when that cant be proven.

Very difficult to know who is correct as hindsight not available at the moment.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...a bit disco
6 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Not looking good for the mother in law. Kidneys are failing and chances of survival have dropped considerably. It sadly doesn’t look like there’s going to be a happy ending to this :(

Thoughts with you and yours mate.

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Shit mate sorry to hear that. Maybe the Mafia thread is an ideal place to take your mind off it for now. Hope you are ok.

Just doing my best to be there for the wife mate. 

Just now, ...a bit disco said:

Thoughts with you and yours mate.

Cheers mate.

Malinga the Swinga
10 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Not looking good for the mother in law. Kidneys are failing and chances of survival have dropped considerably. It sadly doesn’t look like there’s going to be a happy ending to this :(

Keep the faith and don't give up. My own mum died a few years back from kidney failure and the only consolation I can offer, and it is slight, is that the event itself happened peacefully and with no pain. 

Doesnt make it easier for family, but a blessing none the less.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Well, the police should be dealing with that. Or Boris should have been more specific. 

Can't blame the public for simply going by the rules set out. Boris said nothing about not being able to drive to your destination of exercise. 

We'll just have to go like Ireland.

You are only allowed a max of 2km from your home as part of your daily exercise, which is pretty much walking.

Outside that radius for food, medicine, essential working only.

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, ...a bit disco said:

Could be a minor miracle that the NHS badly needs.

And looks like normal ventilator production ramping up as well.  I have worked for a couple of the companies mentioned and worked with the others via the UK productivity forum.  BAE, Airbus, Siemens, Rolls Royce, Thales are exactly the companies we would want involved in this, they are serious players with huge engineering and production resources, the fact that are working with an existing design is hugely reassuring.  this combined with the F1 news (hats off to them) is the best news I have heard in weeks.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cityam.com/uk-coronavirus-smiths-bolsters-production-to-deliver-10000-ventilators/amp/

Edited by Brighton Jambo

13 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I'm crying as I think it's only a matter of time I'm dead, or I'll lose a family member 😭😭

SEC in Glasgow been transformed into a hospital with a few hundred beds.

Thrown in the ventilator production progress from larger critical ones to smaller ones like the F1 lot, PPE becoming more available and hopefully Scotland will be able to withstand the peak over the next few weeks.

Just switched over and caught the tail end of the CMO talking during the Scottish governments daily update.

Did she say mammograms and smear tests have been postponed?

Cancer developing in some women that could have been detected in ‘normal’ circumstances. Awful.

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Keep the faith and don't give up. My own mum died a few years back from kidney failure and the only consolation I can offer, and it is slight, is that the event itself happened peacefully and with no pain. 

Doesnt make it easier for family, but a blessing none the less.

Cheers mate. At least it sounds like she’s comfortable which is a small blessing.

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I'm crying as I think it's only a matter of time I'm dead, or I'll lose a family member 😭😭

It’s difficult mate but try and stay positive.

People below us had a house party Saturday night started at 11 pm police at there door by 1am guy started shouting. F****ing grassing bas****s after the cops left

Edited by j1964m

Just now, iantjambo said:

It’s difficult mate but try and stay positive.

I'm cracking up, i feel so mentally drained and messed in the head.

I'm praying we can find a miracle from somewhere to change this. 

Please god please help us. 

2 minutes ago, j1964m said:

People below us had a house party Saturday night started at 11 pm police at there door by 1am guy started shouting. F****ing grassing bas****s after the cops left

****ing arse holes that they are, so ****ing selfish. 

I feel like I've had it but I've also been in contact with family members. 

The next few weeks im dreading this, it would kill me to see one of them go down with it, times like this show you how much family, really means to you. 

I really hope my mum is safe from it and doesn't catch it, I love her so much. 

30 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

This situation is going to need a blanket driving ban. Except  essential users or to and from a supermarket obviously. Boy racer in our main road last night up and down the street for 10 minutes before folk went out and chased him off. What an utter bunch of melts some sections of society are ! 

Is there much risk in being out in your car? Seems a perfect extension of isolation.

On the other hand, a women just went passed my house on a horse. How can you justify that FFS? 😂😂

44 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Dont you remember when our Govt tried to take us into Iraq and Afghanistan. A million marched against it and the Govt backed down. It’s a British tradition, just ask Red. 

We were discussing the public's reaction to curtailment of their liberties or, if extended, laws that negatively affect their lifestyle. Apples and pears. Perhaps the reaction against the Poll Tax would have been more apposite.

Nice wee dig though, not even to my face as well. :smile:

22 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Just switched over and caught the tail end of the CMO talking during the Scottish governments daily update.

Did she say mammograms and smear tests have been postponed?

Cancer developing in some women that could have been detected in ‘normal’ circumstances. Awful.

Unfortunately Mrs Homme is one of these people. She has a lump in her breast, we were waiting an appointment and should have had one about 3 weeks ago now but have heard nothing and not sure if we are expecting to. 

On top of this to worry about, she is still working front line and so the risk of catching covid is increasing by the day. 

Really, really stressful times for us. Of course her moreso than me. 

Edited by Homme

Just now, Homme said:

Unfortunately Mrs Homme is one of these people. She has a lump in her breast, we were waiting an appointment and should have had one about 3 weeks ago now but have heard nothing and not sure if we are expecting to. 

I can only imagine the mental torture. Sincerely hope it all works out for you both ❤️

doctor jambo
11 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

image.png.d5afc162426a53a9a27343ce83598e74.png

that is all well and good, but the masks the frontline staff are issued are utterly useless.

Wrong type, not fitted, gape at the sides and cheap as chips.

my PPE is more suited to working at a deli counter than with covid patients

39 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

So sad to hear this, Ian.

After the wee improvement, too.  :sad: 

22 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The number of deaths is still very small compared to the population size. Unless you're going out and mingling with folk, your chances of catching the virus are minimal and of dying even less.

Just do what you can to prevent transmission, keep yourself healthy and sane, and the odds will be heavily in your favour.

41 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

So sorry to hear that.

5 minutes ago, Homme said:

On top of this to worry about, she is still working front line and so the risk of catching covid is increasing by the day. 

Really sorry to hear this, Homme. I would suggest trying to contact the NHS about the appointment - it might be better at least knowing what the situation is rather than everything being up in the air.

Stay strong, the both of you.

30 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Cheers mate. At least it sounds like she’s comfortable which is a small blessing.

You take care, Ian.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Really sorry to hear this, Homme. I would suggest trying to contact the NHS about the appointment - it might be better at least knowing what the situation is rather than everything being up in the air.

Stay strong, the both of you.

Thanks Red. And Roller too. 

The kids are keeping us busy and leaving us with little time to think straight. Probably a welcome distraction even if it doesn't feel like it at the minute. 

We phoned last week and they couldn't give us an answer. Will definitely be calling back this week though. 

18 minutes ago, Homme said:

I’m really sorry to hear that mate. Hope it all works out well.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Boris fecked up when he said that the populace could go outside for exercise.

All that has resulted in is people ripping the pish in large numbers and going out for day trips all over the shop under the pretence of "we're only exercising, Boris said we could".

The general population are thick as feck and stubborn as a mule. 

It really is staggering just how many selfish fools are out there.

58 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Really sorry to hear this Ian 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️❤️❤️

40 minutes ago, j1964m said:

And it’s all you others in the block that are in the wrong :facepalm:

23 minutes ago, Homme said:

Sorry to hear this Homme, I thank your wife for everything she is doing to help others throughout this sorry mess, a true hero. Take care of her mate🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️❤️❤️

20 minutes ago, Homme said:

I know your wife is already in the system, and they said at the press conference that anyone who was concerned about a lump should go to their GP. I took from this that they were suspending screening not treatment. Hope it works out for you.

26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The number of deaths is still very small compared to the population size. Unless you're going out and mingling with folk, your chances of catching the virus are minimal and of dying even less.

Just do what you can to prevent transmission, keep yourself healthy and sane, and the odds will be heavily in your favour.

Hard times mate. 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

All due respect mate but you need to log off here and find a phone number for someone you can talk to, whether thats a mate or a relative or an organisation. Dont take this as criticism and Ive got every sympathy with your position but when youve reached a stage where your posting pictures on a football forum of your blood in the sink you seriously need to ask a real person for help.

Edited by JimmyCant

45 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

image.png.d5afc162426a53a9a27343ce83598e74.png

I think the issue is that there not enough masks for frontline workers without everybody else having them.

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Hard times mate. 

I know. It's tough going, there's no denying that. I personally am just taking each day as it comes, trying to keep my parents out of harm's way, and distracting myself as much as I can.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Boris fecked up when he said that the populace could go outside for exercise.

All that has resulted in is people ripping the pish in large numbers and going out for day trips all over the shop under the pretence of "we're only exercising, Boris said we could".

The general population are thick as feck and stubborn as a mule. 

It’s incredible. I drove down to my sister in laws yesterday to get her some formula for her baby as she can’t get out. The amount of people that were out walking about with their families was astounding. Plenty ways to exercise at home or in the garden. These ***** are just taking the piss and the reason why the lockdown will go on longer than is required.

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Seems to me folk drove to a location for a walk. As long as they all didn't get out the cars at the same time and spat at each other what is the problem here?

People getting far to to involved in each others business and getting to high and mighty for my liking here. 

Adding to the problem.

Hundreds all descending on a local spot for a walk is just nuts. Its not "High & Mighty", people are getting seriously ill, passing it on and some unlucky folks are losing their life.

Add in the strain the NHS is in with all of this and their normal activities and you can see why people are being labelled as "tards". 

9 minutes ago, Homme said:

Cheers all. She is a hero no doubt. Don't know how she does it! 

She is that bud. In every sense of the word.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

I think the issue is that there not enough masks for frontline workers without everybody else having them.

Yes that's my understanding which is fair enough, but it would be nice if they were honest with us. 

What I've read is that the virus under certain conditions, probably very rare,  something to do with heat and humidity, can become suspended in air for some time (aerosol). Anything that prevents aerosolised(?) Covid 19 being transmitted, like masks must be a good thing.  Priority of course going to health workers.

wentworth jambo

@Homme and @iantjambo - don't know you guys, have never met  you and have no link to you other than we share the love of a certain team....all of which pales into insignificance in the current climate and my thoughts are with both of you ad you're families. 

Ehllhayapeh
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Sorry to hear that Ian. Goes without saying I hope she defies the odds and pulls through.

annushorribilis III
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Seems to me folk drove to a location for a walk. As long as they all didn't get out the cars at the same time and spat at each other what is the problem here?

People getting far to to involved in each others business and getting to high and mighty for my liking here. 

Stupidest post I've seen on here for a while. 

11 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

Yes that's my understanding which is fair enough, but it would be nice if they were honest with us. 

What I've read is that the virus under certain conditions, probably very rare,  something to do with heat and humidity, can become suspended in air for some time (aerosol). Anything that prevents aerosolised(?) Covid 19 being transmitted, like masks must be a good thing.  Priority of course going to health workers.

There was a bit about it in an earlier post that had an interview with a South Korean expert where he said that an infected person shouting can cause aerosoling which from memory is particles under 5 microns in size. He was of the opinion that everyone should be wearing a mask.

I see that Austria are now insisting everyone outdoors wears one and if shopping.

6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Neil Ferguson saying now that the early signs are that the infection is slowing now in the UK

100% nonsense for him to come out with that kind of pish.

We're not testing anywhere near enough people to be making statements like that.

All he will achieve with this is encouraging more people to flout the rules.

Yes it would be possible to see a small slowing of new infections.    This will essentially be derived from the heightened awareness in the lead up to the official measures.    Any slowing is too soon to be as a result of lockdown.    We should see that continue and improve again.     

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

We were discussing the public's reaction to curtailment of their liberties or, if extended, laws that negatively affect their lifestyle. Apples and pears. Perhaps the reaction against the Poll Tax would have been more apposite.

Nice wee dig though, not even to my face as well. :smile:

I agree we were discussing the curtailing of people’s liberties (fair point). The Poll Tax didn’t curtail anyone’s liberties so it’s just as useless an example as Iraq war. 

As for your last sentence, don’t take it all so seriously, it’s an internet Forum for discussion, debate, ribbing etc. The “say it to my face” patter, come on, the internet hardman stuff? You are better than this. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic