Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

57 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there seems to be a slew of teens that have ended up in hospital after attending a coronavirus lockdown party.

The most tragic part about this, when things get bad in hospitals, these same people will be given priority over some 40 or 50 something year old asthmatic that more or less stuck to the advice we were given.

Story is from Belgium. Still shocking though.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Did people really think it was only old people who got this?

If they did then they're fools.

Yes , plenty of fitness people were being absolute wallopers because they are fit so it wont affect them... Thats just the fitnessy ones nevermind the thousands of others who were going out partying or to pubs/clubs cause they were young so they are safe 

Deliberately coughing or sneezing at someone will be charged as common assault and if used to assault a member of the emergency services could carry a jail term of 2 years.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

North Yorkshire Police are to set up checkpoints to stop drivers and ask where they are going and if the journey is really necessary.

Driving somewhere to take the dog a walk is not allowed either.

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

In Gp land it’s moved over the last week from the worried well to the really ill phase.

a real change in what we are dealing with.

its getting worse daily as are the patients 

You've got to wonder why the hell folk are going to their GP with Covid-19 symptoms.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

3.3million people in the USA file for unemployment benefit.

500,000 people in the UK apply for universal credit.

You don't have to be unemployed to qualify for Universal Credit.

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

Deliberately coughing or sneezing at someone will be charged as common assault and if used to assault a member of the emergency services could carry a jail term of 2 years.

Again makes sense , someone posted the link for the three males who did this down south to old folk

1 minute ago, graygo said:

You've got to wonder why the hell folk are going to their GP with Covid-19 symptoms.

One of the local pharmacy'sup here had to close and deep clean (rural area) as someone went in with symptoms. How thick or ignorant do you have to be....

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Makes sense I guess , im very luck the woods are 100 yards away n theres a huge park there where you coukd do 6km eady without seeing a soul

Very brief story on the radio news this morning. Our districts first reported case of the virus. Person who flew in from Manila, claims was not told about self isolation. Went to their low rental apartment then to shop at Walmart. Has now been diagnosed. No times reported so no idea how soon or long ago this all happened. No flight here from Manila so probably went through immigration customs etc in Vancouver, must have been given some small clue about necessary precautions, Commuter flight to here, probably some more advice on local restrictions. It really astounds me the number of people this individual has to have been in contact with, long flight from Manila, people at airports, short flight to here, people in Walmart. If all as reported this individual could be responsible for their own Pandemic.

Jambo-Jimbo
21 minutes ago, graygo said:

Didn't know that, mind I don't have a dog so wouldn't know what the rules were concerning dogs.

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Dummy Dikes said:

Very brief story on the radio news this morning. Our districts first reported case of the virus. Person who flew in from Manila, claims was not told about self isolation. Went to their low rental apartment then to shop at Walmart. Has now been diagnosed. No times reported so no idea how soon or long ago this all happened. No flight here from Manila so probably went through immigration customs etc in Vancouver, must have been given some small clue about necessary precautions, Commuter flight to here, probably some more advice on local restrictions. It really astounds me the number of people this individual has to have been in contact with, long flight from Manila, people at airports, short flight to here, people in Walmart. If all as reported this individual could be responsible for their own Pandemic.

That is one of the biggest fears over this, the sheer number of potential infections that could take place before patient zero becomes ill themselves, if indeed they become ill at all.

The Old Tolbooth
41 minutes ago, kila said:

And he still continues to put his own politics before peoples lives, what an absolute prick of a man!

38 minutes ago, sadj said:

Yes , plenty of fitness people were being absolute wallopers because they are fit so it wont affect them... Thats just the fitnessy ones nevermind the thousands of others who were going out partying or to pubs/clubs cause they were young so they are safe 

Yeh I know lots didn't think it would cause them an issue, but I don't think many thought they wouldn't/couldn't catch it, just that if they did it would be like a bad cold and nothing more.

manaliveits105
17 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Seems really weird that people look forward with such anticipation to numbers of dead people being announced. Even weirder that excitement grows because numbers are released a wee while later than the day before.

Just picture you guys calling the family down so you can all sit round the tv together shouting ' Hurry kids, the death number from Spain is coming on'. 

Good post seems to have stopped the farting in church 

Walter Bishop

Professor Neil Ferguson, the guy who said there could be up to 500,000 deaths now predicts less than 20,000 with most probably dieing this year anyway? Also thinks the NHS will now cope! So why HMS Nightingale? 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

Edited by Walter Bishop

6 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Professor Neil Ferguson, the guy who said there could be up to 500,000 deaths now predicts less than 20,000 with most probably dieing this year anyway? Also thinks the NHS will cope! So why HMS Nightingale? 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

He says we should cope with our new approach. If we hadn't change course with the new enforced social distancing, we'd have been ****ed. I also don't see any claim from him that the 20,000 would have died this year anyway. 

Edited by Normthebarman

2 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

He says we should cope with our new approach. If we hadn't change course with the new enforced social distancing, we'd have been ****ed. 

See USA for evidence

6 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Professor Neil Ferguson, the guy who said there could be up to 500,000 deaths now predicts less than 20,000 with most probably dieing this year anyway? Also thinks the NHS will cope! So why HMS Nightingale? 

It’s going to be way worse in London and sooner I would think. 

Tommy Brown
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Surprised there's not a sweep.

Everybody calm down, it's only some dark humour in these crap times.

has crossed my mind Ri

a world Cup Knock out

put all the counties in a hat for a knock-out draw,  knowing Scotland's luck we would get Italy in first round.

Walter Bishop
3 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

He says we should cope with our new approach. If we hadn't change course with the new enforced social distancing, we'd have been ****ed. 

Apologies, should have said now cope. 

12 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Professor Neil Ferguson, the guy who said there could be up to 500,000 deaths now predicts less than 20,000 with most probably dieing this year anyway? Also thinks the NHS will now cope! So why HMS Nightingale? 

Sure I read more from yesterday he also expects hotspots throughout the country that won't cope like London that's why Nightingale is needed.

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Sure I read more from yesterday he also expects hotspots throughout the country that won't cope like London that's why Nightingale is needed.

Yup. We shouldn't see a nationwide problem with every region over ran, but there will be areas that will struggle to cope with the numbers. 

dobmisterdobster

Dyson are manufacturing the ventilators.

Journalists are just squeezing out one more Brexit story before that topic finally disappears into the sea of irrelevance.

Pasquale for King
16 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The new cases for the last 4 days are below that of the peak number. It could be that they aren't doing as much testing meaning they get fewer positives, however the numbers do appear to be flattening, rather than "bottoming".  If they have reached a peak, then it is reasonable to infer that the lock down has been effective, but the the down side of the curve will take a similar time, e.g. 4 more weeks before they get down to "manageable" numbers (double/single figures?) and restrictions can start to be eased.

The UK however, is still on the upward part of the curve, so I'd guess that it will be another six weeks or so before we should be looking at easing some restrictions.

I was watching Sky news yesterday and they had the Mayor of Bergamo on, he said that if anyone died without being tested they weren’t included in the figures.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

Journalists are just squeezing out one more Brexit story before that topic finally disappears into the sea of irrelevance.

Dyson and G-Tech 

It's a real wartime effort my wives uncle's work are making the control panels for them as well.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Sirudi said:

Dysons 10,000 new ventilators.

Last week Boris was urged by the EU the join the EU ventilator procurement scheme to pull resources with the other EU countries to obtain supplies of tried and tested ventilators ASAP.  This was seen as a test of whether Boris would stick to his Brexit philosophy or put the countries needs first.

Instead he has only now ordered 10,000 ventilators from Dyson. These ventilators require design approval before they can be built. Not only do they have to be built from scratch, they then have to be tried and tested and approved for use before they can be given to the NHS. With the peak of infection forecast to be 2-3 weeks away,  they won’t be available.

Mr Dyson is a Boris fan and a Brexiteer. Coincidence ?

The guy has no shame.

Let’s get Coronavirus done !

Disgusting, not a surprise though. Like PPE the preparations for this have been abysmal, but no doubt their friends and donors will prosper.

11 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Yep, that will probably take months to get medically approved. Good ol’ Blighty. 

20 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Asked why he wouldn’t take ventilators that are available immediately as part of the EU ventilator procurement scheme, which we are allowed to be part off, his reply was “because we are not now in the EU”.

Absolutely shameful. Putting his politics before lives.

Not really a case of squeezing out a brexit story.

18 hours ago, Cade said:

Again, keeping track of day to day death tolls is really meaningless.

As previously stated, we have no idea of the age, viral load or underlying health issues of those that died each day.

We also don't know how many patients are in critical condition and expected to die tomorrow.

You can't read anything into day by day statistics.

Statistics only matter when looked at as a long term pattern.

Even then how many people died of Covid-19 but went undiagnosed and therefor not included in the figures?

55 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

has crossed my mind Ri

a world Cup Knock out

put all the counties in a hat for a knock-out draw,  knowing Scotland's luck we would get Italy in first round.

:D Probably

So according to Newsnight the existing firms that make ventilators reached out to the government but they never responded. Instead they've given Dyson a contract to make 10,000 - a brand new product that needs to be thoroughly tested.

Hmmm.

4 minutes ago, kila said:

So according to Newsnight the existing firms that make ventilators reached out to the government but they never responded. Instead they've given Dyson a contract to make 10,000 - a brand new product that needs to be thoroughly tested.

Hmmm.

Not dodgy at all. 🥺

Ainsley Harriott
17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hopefully a sign that the inforeced social distancing is beginning to work. The number will rise for a while but hopefully we can curb the speed of the increase.

Toxteth O'Grady
15 minutes ago, kila said:

Hmmm.

Its all a bit like giving a contract to  Ferry company with no Ferries

Jambo-Jimbo
48 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was watching Sky news yesterday and they had the Mayor of Bergamo on, he said that if anyone died without being tested they weren’t included in the figures.

Last week it was also reported that if you die at home or in a care home they weren't included in the official figures either.

The death figures for Italy that you see everyday are only those who have died in hospital, meaning the real true figure is probably many times higher than the official 7,500+, could well possibly be at least double that of the official figure.

Same with Germany, it's real death figure is also probably much higher than what it's been announced, It's something to do with the way that the German's record their dead, it doesn't give a true figure seemingly, I don't know what it is they do differently but I've heard it mentioned several times from various sources now.

41 minutes ago, Sirudi said:

Asked why he wouldn’t take ventilators that are available immediately as part of the EU ventilator procurement scheme, which we are allowed to be part off, his reply was “because we are not now in the EU”.

Absolutely shameful. Putting his politics before lives.

Not really a case of squeezing out a brexit story.

Rather die British than survive European.....

:( :)

Edited by DETTY29

On 23/03/2020 at 12:26, iantjambo said:

Just heard the news that Mrs tjambos mum has tested positive. 

Not looking good. 
She’s been moved to the ICU and put into an induced coma.

Interesting on my walk today.

Good news in how empty city was.  More and more shops having queuing systems.

A few but not many in groups of 3 or 4 clearly not family members.  I'd say about 3 quarters of people you pass like me do appear to take steps to the side.

Thats still a quarter 'this is my walking line, so Ill not be moving' although naturally the odd person will just have forgotten.

2  families decided the whole pavement was theirs.

A retired Canadian General who served on active service has suggested to doctors with the the increase in patients, lack of needed equipment and resources there may come a time when decisions that may contradict their ethics and oath may arise and some very serious and sad calls having to be mad. He I think was relating to similar calls having to be made by military leaders in a war where lives had to be sacrificed to gain an advantage. 

My wife and I have discussed this, and we feel we have had a fair shot at life, if the decision had to be made between us and a young person with the hope of many years such as we have had then the decision is simple.

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Not looking good. 
She’s been moved to the ICU and put into an induced coma.

:(  Hopefully she pulls through as treatment increases

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic