Scottish Cup draw - Airdrie (H)

Smoked-Glass

30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The original game at Hampden in 92 John Robertson scored a good goal not given. 

Fine margins. 

And hitting the post in the replay 

Edited by Satsumo

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kiwidoug

• davemclaren

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mikey1874

23 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They are horrible first footers as well

1 January 1981

Scottish Premier Division

Hearts 2 – 3 Airdireonians

Tynecastle Stadium

Willie Gibson  58' Paul O'Brien  65'

Jim Rodger  70' Willie McCulloch  85'

Willie McCulloch  86'

Attendance: 8,086

Anyone remember a wee terrier at the school end. My mate and I were going to the match and he was going to leave Spud in the car.

So I said let’s take him and we did. And boy he did well with some fans buying Spud pies & crisps. I even bought Spud a 25p Hearts draw ticket and he won a £1. 

Edited by mitch41

24 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1 January 1981

Tynecastle Stadium

Willie McCulloch  86'

Absolutely one of the worst games ever. Too young to drink and trying to get home with the new year bus service after watching that!

28 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Some older posters can remember......

Texaco Cup - Airdrie 0 HMFC 5 with Donald Ford scoring 4 under the floodlights at Broomfield:thumbsup:

Great night that.  Motherwell even better.

36 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Texaco Cup - Airdrie 0 HMFC 5 with Donald Ford scoring 4 under the floodlights at Broomfield:thumbsup:

I seemed to remember Drew Young having  a great game on the right wing. Didn’t do much after that 

20 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Great night that.  Motherwell even better.

Yeah, Fir Park was rammed that night.

HMFC injury time equaliser & Donald Ford winner in ET.

Then the usual Final let down vs Wolves:thumbsdown:, only had to wait another circa 20 years to see my 1st trophy victory (16/05/98)

Started supporting HMFC in January 1964, the youth of today are spoiled with success :lol:.

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Extra security required for this tie

They will bring a decent support I'm sure

yup. some very serious crowd trouble when they played Celtic away last season

33 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Yeah, Fir Park was rammed that night.

HMFC injury time equaliser & Donald Ford winner in ET.

Then the usual Final let down vs Wolves:thumbsdown:, only had to wait another circa 20 years to see my 1st trophy victory (16/05/98)

Started supporting HMFC in January 1964, the youth of today are spoiled with success :lol:.

A group of us were in a pub in Motherwell that night about 15 minutes walk from the ground.  At around 6.30 a barman told us he'd been told that the ground was filling up quickly and there were massive queues.  He was right.  By the time we got in, the place was pretty much packed and there were still massive queues.

Best Hearts support I was ever part of at an away game.

Justice will be done when we meet Airdrie.  Wish it was another semi though. That's where justice really needs to be done.

Ficks sake that's all we need .

Will take a guess now... 1-1 then a replay and then 2-1 defeat after a late equaliser for us !

12 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

A group of us were in a pub in Motherwell that night about 15 minutes walk from the ground.  At around 6.30 a barman told us he'd been told that the ground was filling up quickly and there were massive queues.  He was right.  By the time we got in, the place was pretty much packed and there were still massive queues.

Justice will be done when we meet Airdrie.  Wish it was another semi though. That's where justice really needs to be done.

think there was 26,000 there that night with at least half them jambos. thought we were doomed until that late late equaliser. magic

1 hour ago, 2205ian said:

I was there. Every window of our bus got tanned in on the way out! 🙈

5 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

think there was 26,000 there that night with at least half them jambos. thought we were doomed until that late late equaliser. magic

Georgie Fleming. 👍

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

White boots.

:verysmug:

Another cracking wee player we let go to DU! 🙈

Looking forward to this one as a prospective son in law plays for them. Going well at the moment under Ian Murray and several ex Jambos in the team. Should be good.

3 hours ago, kila said:

Dundee United v Hibs

'mon Neilson :D

chance for revenge Robbie

5 hours ago, Barack said:

And this boy will enjoy returning...

:sweeet:

DC deserves a great reception, injuries ruined it for him at a good level.

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I seem to remember being in the stand that night at Motherwell. It must have happened but I'm totally clueless as to how. Was at Airdrie and down at Molineux. Was that the year we also beat Burnley? Was there tae.

'Twas all so "fresh". :rolleyes:

J.T.F.Robertson
26 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

correct. And a Robbo goal that was over the line. Shite semis

I have a mate, and a bigger Hearts' fan never walked, who gave it all up after that second semi against them.

He got into coaching and found it a lot more rewarding than having your baws metaphorically booted on a regular basis.

See him regularly when I'm hame though and he still has a softie for the JT's.

millerjames398
5 hours ago, been here before said:

I wonder if John The Scab Martin will turn up on the back of the Daily Record dressed in a Tutu for the game.

And obligatory big foam hands😂

millerjames398
5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The original game at Hampden in 92 John Robertson scored a good goal not given. 

Fine margins. 

Im sure big Dave macpherson scored a perfectly good header as well, that was a brutal day, and managed to get worse a few days later in the replay...

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Georgie Fleming. 👍

The highlights used to be easily found on YouTube, but recently seen to have gone.

A great night. Huge Hearts support. Drama and joy. Then the bus windows put in.
School the next day after getting home around 1am.

43 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Im sure big Dave macpherson scored a perfectly good header as well, that was a brutal day, and managed to get worse a few days later in the replay...

god (and the ref) only knows why that goal was disallowed!!

1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I seem to remember being in the stand that night at Motherwell. It must have happened but I'm totally clueless as to how. Was at Airdrie and down at Molineux. Was that the year we also beat Burnley? Was there tae.

'Twas all so "fresh". :rolleyes:

Beat a top Burnley side 4-1 at Tynecastle

millerjames398
9 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

god (and the ref) only knows why that goal was disallowed!!

It was days like that, that made me think id never see us get to a final, never mind win one!

9 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Beat a top Burnley side 4-1 at Tynecastle

Great night!

Was at the Burnley 3-1 loss as well.

KH the new Denis Law after that night in the 4-1 game.  Whatever happened to him?

9 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

You will never convince me that the ref wasn't giving Hearts a "doing" that day.  It was so blatantly awful.

14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1 January 1981

Tynecastle Stadium

Willie McCulloch  86'

God, I was so depressed after that game. Stinking hangover, two goals up with 25 minutes to go then lose by the odd goal. Just about summed up Hearts then. 

millerjames398
1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

You will never convince me that the ref wasn't giving Hearts a "doing" that day.  It was so blatantly awful.

He certainly never covered himself in glory, thats for sure, horrible day, and a brilliant 25/6 thousand in the hearts end, before the game i genuinely thought we couldn't lose this today...

13 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Another cracking wee player we let go to DU! 🙈

Indeed, for about tuppence ha’penny too!

16 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I've learned not to celebrate any cup draw v Airdrie. 

Not saying anything else. 

You don't need to. ☹️

Horror memories against them at Hampden. 

12 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

He did indeed.  We didn't play all that well but the ref was shocking.  I remember reading somewhere that he subsequently became a director at Airdrie.  Could be a myth.

Emotional time for me.  I was back for my dad's funeral.  Was heading back when the replay was on and cheered with the thought that I would learn on arrival that we would be in the final.

Absolute shock to learn otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

He did indeed.  We didn't play all that well but the ref was shocking.  I remember reading somewhere that he subsequently became a director at Airdrie.  Could be a myth.

Emotional time for me.  I was back for my dad's funeral.  Was heading back when the replay was on and cheered with the thought that I would learn on arrival that we would be in the final.

Absolute shock to learn otherwise.

There’s every chance. The ref that day was Jim McCluskey, iirc and I also recall reading about the fact he took up refereeing when injury curtailed his career in his late teens. The club he was registered to at the time of his injury, or at least his last professional club, was Airdrie. You really couldn’t make the SFA appointments up and it’s still happening. Mind you, we had a shocker of a ref who was a Hearts man and perhaps cost us a league title. 

I remember celebrating like a daftie and my mates and didn’t know Dave McPherson’s header had been chalked off until a few minutes later. Still don’t know why and blatant cheating is the only feasible explanation. 😡

Sorry to read that Airdrie matches remind you of a sad time. Perspective, eh? 👍

alwaysthereinspirit
15 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

chance for revenge Robbie

Must at the very least be looking for a bumper money making replay. 

The Apprentice

As well as Dale Carrick they've got Scott Gallacher, Adam Eckersley, and Ally Roy currently playing there.  Colin Cameron is Ian Murray's assistant too.

Edited by The Apprentice

Maroon Sailor
25 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

As well as Dale Carrick they've got Scott Gallacher, Adam Eckersley, and Ally Roy currently playing there.  Colin Cameron is Ian Murray's assistant too.

What is it with that club and ex Hearts players ?

That might have been part of our downfall against them in the early 90's

Edited by Maroon Sailor

46 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

You're making me nervous.  

Seriously.

Remember that this is Clydebank and not Airdrieonians as we know them. I do not recall having any history against the Bankies.  

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Marvin said:

I'm still having nightmares :(

No just that, they regularly humped us in the league as well when they were about. 

5 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

You're making me nervous.  

Seriously.