• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• ...a bit disco

• Unknown user

• Coburg Hearts

SectionDJambo

He spoke very well in defending himself, and Hearts, from the no mark bully boys on Sportsound. Interesting, also, that he said he had had supportive messages from other managers regarding the treatment given to him by those idiots.

They really showed themselves up with the way they behaved. Preston, in particular, should remember that he was far from popular as a player by Hearts fans. An absolutely incredibly stupid  decision to move on Scott Crabbe, a real Hearts man and far superior player, to get Preston. 

Looking forward to listening to the tears & snotters from Biscuits & Co tomorrow en route to Rugby Park:biggrin:.

Well said Austin & good luck in the interim.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Only disappointment was that he didn't get stuck in to Willie Miller.  Maybe he felt Michael O'Neill had already done that for him.

For those who haven't heard it he said that Preston clearly had an agenda against him and had told four lies at the very start of Sportsound two weeks ago.  He then explained in detail which each of the four statements Preston had made were inaccurate.

Other notable comments - no one from Hearts has spoken to him about being SD.

He is clearly his own man and wants the top job.

Fair play to him.

12 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Only disappointment was that he didn't get stuck in to Willie Miller.  Maybe he felt Michael O'Neill had already done that for him.

For those who haven't heard it he said that Preston clearly had an agenda against him and had told four lies at the very start of Sportsound two weeks ago.  He then explained in detail which each of the four statements Preston had made were inaccurate.

Other notable comments - no one from Hearts has spoken to him about being SD.

He is clearly his own man and wants the top job.

he also said there were other lies but he did not have time to go into them. the fact he stayed calm and did not raise his voice was really good

Always comes across well and like that he sticks up for the club. I’d like him as sporting director, but tbh I’d prefer him to a lot of the names mentioned. Especially if we win tomorrow.

Superb from Austin,  remained calm and composed while tearing the BBC and Preston a new one.

Speaks well, sounds assured and his confidence in what he wants on the park can only be a good thing.

If the result tomorrow equates to this victory over Preston, we will win 10-0.

Surely Preston should be relieved of his duties.

45 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Brilliant! Very impressive, he has utterly slaughtered Preston and spoken VERY well.

New manager?

He's looking after his own position in the managerial race

He's saying on the whole the right things publicly (and some others in the public eye could have taken a lesson from him) 

His manner has been positive and bright and he has tried to distance himself from the previous managers position knowing that is a weakness for him.

It is difficult to do that without throwing the previous manager under the bus especially when he is still around.

I like what I hear but results will also determine his success or otherwise...a win tomorrow and he will be a major candidate.

However we have to decide if we risk our immediate future on an untried manager (even with backroom experience at club and international level)

I find it difficult to decide as I'm sure will the owner and we will hope that due diligence is being done....indeed I'm sure it has been and will be . Without being involved in the interviews for example our view is from a less than 100% position. There may have been some excellent discussions with other candidates which we know nothing about.

In his place wins will see him move higher up the managerial candidates ladder and if we are winning he is right to point to success on the pitch as well.

I hope stays in some capacity and remember this is a man who was interviewed for the Scottish Football performance director role so with even more experience in a more hands on role has advantages over other candidates in either role we have available.

It really is though a decision (re manager) as to whether we move forward with an inexperienced number one or look for the experience that was being sought at the start of the process.

I have my own choices neither of which would seem to have been considered so I admit to being split re appointing him as manager and part of that is because we do not really know who else is a true candidate and how they went through the interview process.

This is a difficult decision and I'm glad a bit of time is being taken

I wish him well in his footballing future and it might be he'll be around for a while after 4 years with us

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

He's looking after his own position in the managerial race

He's saying on the whole the right things publicly (and some others in the public eye could have taken a lesson from him) 

His manner has been positive and bright and he has tried to distance himself from the previous managers position knowing that is a weakness for him.

It is difficult to do that without throwing the previous manager under the bus especially when he is still around.

I like what I hear but results will also determine his success or otherwise...a win tomorrow and he will be a major candidate.

However we have to decide if we risk our immediate future on an untried manager (even with backroom experience at club and international level)

I find it difficult to decide as I'm sure will the owner and we will hope that due diligence is being done....indeed I'm sure it has been and will be . Without being involved in the interviews for example our view is from a less than 100% position. There may have been some excellent discussions with other candidates which we know nothing about.

In his place wins will see him move higher up the managerial candidates ladder and if we are winning he is right to point to success on the pitch as well.

I hope stays in some capacity and remember this is a man who was interviewed for the Scottish Football performance director role so with even more experience in a more hands on role has advantages over other candidates in either role we have available.

It really is though a decision (re manager) as to whether we move forward with an inexperienced number one or look for the experience that was being sought at the start of the process.

I have my own choices neither of which would seem to have been considered so I admit to being split re appointing him as manager and part of that is because we do not really know who else is a true candidate and how they went through the interview process.

This is a difficult decision and I'm glad a bit of time is being taken

I wish him well in his footballing future and it might be he'll be around for a while after 4 years with us

In my view, in the absence of an outstanding candidate (despite the clamour for the fairly inexperienced Stendel), it is fairly low risk to give MacPhee the rest of the season to prove himself. If he can back up the result and performance against St Mirren with similar in the next few games, it's hard to see how someone else coming in completely new to the club would actually do any better. So far everything he has said and done as interim manager is exactly what I want from our manager. Still early days but he's doing well. And it would be unfortunate if he didn't get the chance because the board are nervous about not repeating the mistake of the last appointment ie the best man for the job is already here. Maybe he is this time.

1 minute ago, gnasher75 said:

In my view, in the absence of an outstanding candidate (despite the clamour for the fairly inexperienced Stendel), it is fairly low risk to give MacPhee the rest of the season to prove himself. If he can back up the result and performance against St Mirren with similar in the next few games, it's hard to see how someone else coming in completely new to the club would actually do any better. So far everything he has said and done as interim manager is exactly what I want from our manager. Still early days but he's doing well. And it would be unfortunate if he didn't get the chance because the board are nervous about not repeating the mistake of the last appointment ie the best man for the job is already here. Maybe he is this time.

That's a good point re not judging him because of a previous mistake.

Maybe that's why I'm hesitant and maybe I should take that on board

9 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

What if the club really want him as SD?

3 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

Will it be discussed on sportsound tonight. I wait with baited breath. 

Our manager position just been discussed on Talksport

Talking about Terry moving to Scotland

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What if the club really want him as SD?

My personal view is that that would be a waste of his talents. I hope we appoint the best person for the SD job and don't just give it to MacPhee out of a sense of loyalty. Yes he might be able to do it but we would lose his input to the first team which is what O'Neill says he excels at. And listening to him he sounds like a guy with the drive and ambition to be a manager not a SD.

8 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I made a similar point on another thread and I hope we see a big improvement in the run up to the winter break during which MacPhee gets an opportunity to stake his claim. Rightly or wrongly I get the impression he is desperate stamp his own authority on the team. He made a very valid point that the success he has had with NI was generally not attributable to him so similarly without a free rein he has been restricted under the two previous incumbents.

5 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

My personal view is that that would be a waste of his talents. I hope we appoint the best person for the SD job and don't just give it to MacPhee out of a sense of loyalty. Yes he might be able to do it but we would lose his input to the first team which is what O'Neill says he excels at. And listening to him he sounds like a guy with the drive and ambition to be a manager not a SD.

I don't think loyalty comes into it, I think he'd be an excellent SD given his business background and work at the club.

Toxteth O'Grady
40 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

New manager?

I was of the opinion he should have been emptied but now I’m not so sure. A good win away at Killie will do his chances no harm.

Alan Preston you’re a bleep, a bleep!

Preston just been trashed and exposed as a fabricator of lies. Over to you Alan.

8DF4868C-DE4E-4583-9627-E4DBAA358A2B.gif.a62b2dad6bfa6b47e52bd65d78ff016a.gif

Edited by Dannie Boy

6 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

I made a similar point on another thread and I hope we see a big improvement in the run up to the winter break during which MacPhee gets an opportunity to stake his claim. Rightly or wrongly I get the impression he is desperate stamp his own authority on the team. He made a very valid point that the success he has had with NI was generally not attributable to him so similarly without a free rein he has been restricted under the two previous incumbents.

the bit about stamping his authority on the team was noticeable as he said more than once things like how he wanted HIS TEAM to play

Just now, milky_26 said:

the bit about stamping his authority on the team was noticeable as he said more than once things like how he wanted HIS TEAM to play

Noticed that as well.

7 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

If we play with the venom Austin showed there tomorrow am happy for Austin to get the gig. Very impressive interview. 

Would be interesting to see what sort of result MacPhee would get at Ibrox, if this continues beyond next weekend

6 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Aye, but he's got long hair likes eh?!

Going grey now! Pressure getting to him, not! That was a take no prisoners presser, Preston and the BBC left without a name. Very enjoyable indeed.

Brick Tamland

Great interview, Austin came across exceptionally well. It's great to see a Hearts man stick up for Hearts and slaughter the BBC in such a measured way. Preston exposed for the arsehole he is and as others have mentioned it would have been great if he ripped into Willie Miller too. The BBC boys are not going to take this well, getting a skelping from someone with long hair and who isn't in the circle of clique.  I hope the beaks at the BBC take notice and get rid of the ridiculous old boys network that stops the football in our country moving forwards.

Hope Austin has a place at Hearts for a long time to come.

Edited by Brick Tamland
update

26 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

A message to other clubs if he does not get a Hearts post.

Said it when Levein was removed. If he's turned the team around and has us in the top six by Christmas, give him until the end of the season. If he has us in a European spot or a Cup Final, give him a one year deal. 

From the names being banded about to take the job so far, I'd rather have McPhee than most of them. I'd take Warnock or Stendel but the other names mentioned are all very much meh. 

SomethingAboutObua

Came across really well, made it pretty clear he wasn’t the decision maker in Cathro or Levein’s tactics and the cheeky nod that no one brings up how he’s had a part to play as assistant to a successful NI team in the same way. 

Slaughtered Preston wow, good to have him clear up involvement with Martin vs likes of Lafferty and Isma

Obviously wants the job but he did say he expects the next appointment to be based on the future of the club so I assume that means no quick fixes (Warnock?) and no guys that will be here for 18 months until League One/Championship come calling (few folk on here think Stendel would do that) 

Edited by SomethingAboutObua

1 minute ago, The Comedian said:

They called me biscuits cos I used to eat a whole packet of biscuits hehehehe.

Hahahaha.

Etc.

more likely because he crumbles under any sort of pressure

Represented the club well and himself as above give him until the end of the season and see how he does. It’s a low risk and inexpensive move to make that could work out.