Gareth Bale

Hansel

Just now, i8hibsh said:

All I said was they irritate me and I find them annoying.  There will not be one poster on here who does not have a mirrored irrational feeling about a certain group of people.  They may post on here that they don’t but they would be lying.  There was a thread in the shed a while back along the lines of what nationalities do you hate or something.  Was a good thread.

Not what I was replying to, I8.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Stephane Grappelli

• i8hibsh

• Boab

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I’m racist as ****

But quite like the Welsh. 

Go figure 🤷‍♂️

They're nowhere near the top of my enemies-of-the-master-race list either.

I may warm to them at some stage. As a much younger man I truly despised all things Irish. Now, I like the Irish a lot and have had several trips over to the Emerald Isle recently and plan to see more in the future.

Stephane Grappelli
3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Nope, definitely Real Madrid. Their stadiums named after another fascist, Franco’s pal, Santiago Bernabéu. 

Also incorrect to say he was a fascist but you crack on.

Stephane Grappelli
11 hours ago, smiler said:

Ha I knew that one would rile you.

Out of mild interest, why have you got a lob on for Real Madrid again?

Because I'm a plastic glory seeker of course! Silly question.

27 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Also incorrect to say he was a fascist but you crack on.

How was he not a fascist? He was a Captain in General Franco’s 150th Army ffs :rofl:

Stephane Grappelli
2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

How was he not a fascist? He was a Captain in General Franco’s 150th Army ffs :rofl:

Such ignorance.  Not everyone who fought on Franco's side was a fascist.  There were other political reasons, familial, religious...

Not that I'm agreeing with anyone who fought on his side and wish they'd lost the war but it's not as black and white as you seem to think.

Stephane Grappelli
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Cheers.  Interesting articles and the first two at least give a bit of balance.  The last one not so much.

Part of the problem and one of the articles mentions it is how the myth has been perpetuated by Barcelona because it suits their ends and people believe it.  As we know from Celtic, constantly playing the victim card and painting yourselves as the victim plays very well internationally.  Every defeat a conspiracy, every victory a triumph against the odds.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

My views on the Welsh could be seen as racist if you do not understand racism.

I think it’s you that’s confused, go look it up.

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

All I said was they irritate me and I find them annoying.  There will not be one poster on here who does not have a mirrored irrational feeling about a certain group of people.  They may post on here that they don’t but they would be lying.  There was a thread in the shed a while back along the lines of what nationalities do you hate or something.  Was a good thread.

I find them irritating and annoying at times as well.My wife is from Whitchurch in Cardiff same neck of the woods as Gareth Bale.They love him down there .A superstar who never ducks out of playing for his small footballing nation.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Cheers.  Interesting articles and the first two at least give a bit of balance.  The last one not so much.

Part of the problem and one of the articles mentions it is how the myth has been perpetuated by Barcelona because it suits their ends and people believe it.  As we know from Celtic, constantly playing the victim card and painting yourselves as the victim plays very well internationally.  Every defeat a conspiracy, every victory a triumph against the odds.

I think what’s happening in Barcelona just now is certainly fascism, politicians imprisoned for Sedition, a leftover from the days of Franco that’s not even a crime in the real world anymore. 
I suppose the comparison with Celtic can be made, the difference being they are in another country on a different island where no terrorism has taken place for century’s. 
Bale and Madrid are a match made in heaven to be honest.

1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Such ignorance.  Not everyone who fought on Franco's side was a fascist.  There were other political reasons, familial, religious...

Not that I'm agreeing with anyone who fought on his side and wish they'd lost the war but it's not as black and white as you seem to think.

He was a right wing fanatic who signed up to join Franco’s nationalist Army and wasn’t just a run of the mill soldier but an officer. 

It really is that black and white. 

Stephane Grappelli
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think what’s happening in Barcelona just now is certainly fascism, politicians imprisoned for Sedition, a leftover from the days of Franco that’s not even a crime in the real world anymore. 
I suppose the comparison with Celtic can be made, the difference being they are in another country on a different island where no terrorism has taken place for century’s. 
Bale and Madrid are a match made in heaven to be honest.

What's happening in Barcelona now has nothing to do with Real Madrid or them supposedly being Franco's team.

Not quite sure what your point is re terrorism and centuries. Ireland, the UK and Spain have experienced terrorism far more recently than that.

The comparison with Barcelona and Celtic is in terms of propaganda, they are both excellent at it.  Constantly putting forward their side of things however contradictory and hypocritical it may be.  Anything which doesn't corroborate their story of victimhood is conveniently  left out.

Stephane Grappelli
2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He was a right wing fanatic who signed up to join Franco’s nationalist Army and wasn’t just a run of the mill soldier but an officer. 

It really is that black and white. 

I admire your confidence despite your blatant lack of knowledge.

The fascist party (the Falange) was only part of Franco's war machine and a relatively small one at that. It was only once the civil war ended that it came to such prominence and ended up being the party of government.  

Bernabéu had many bust ups with Franco's ministers, even chucking them out of the stadium.

Just now, Stephane Grappelli said:

What's happening in Barcelona now has nothing to do with Real Madrid or them supposedly being Franco's team.

Not quite sure what your point is re terrorism and centuries. Ireland, the UK and Spain have experienced terrorism far more recently than that.

The comparison with Barcelona and Celtic is in terms of propaganda, they are both excellent at it.  Constantly putting forward their side of things however contradictory and hypocritical it may be.  Anything which doesn't corroborate their story of victimhood is conveniently  left out.

I don’t think imprisoning politicians for sedition is victimhood !

If it is not fascist in name, what would you call it ?

Sedition ? In 2019 ?

Stephane Grappelli
Just now, Boab said:

I don’t think imprisoning politicians for sedition is victimhood !

If it is not fascist in name, what would you call it ?

Sedition ? In 2019 ?

I think you're getting yourself a wee bit mixed up here pal.

I'm talking about FC Barcelona playing the victim card for decades.  My argument has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening in Catalonia just now, it's other people who are bringing that into it.

I'll let you off this time but try and pay a bit more attention in future.

I think you're getting yourself a wee bit mixed up here pal.

I'm talking about FC Barcelona playing the victim card for decades.  My argument has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening in Catalonia just now, it's other people who are bringing that into it.

I'll let you off this time but try and pay a bit more attention in future.

They are bringing it into it because they are inextricably linked, whether you like it or not.

Even moving games because of the potential for unrest.

So it has a lot to do with your argument.

Condescending last sentence there. 
Always illuminating !

Stephane Grappelli
3 minutes ago, Boab said:

They are bringing it into it because they are inextricably linked, whether you like it or not.

Even moving games because of the potential for unrest.

So it has a lot to do with your argument.

Condescending last sentence there. 
Always illuminating !

Och it was a wee Joker!

If they are linked it's because the Catalan people have been force fed this idea that Real Madrid and Franco and the government of the day are the same thing.  They're not, but Barça legend Xavi himself even admitted that kids in Catalonia are brought up to hate Real Madrid so what chance have they got?

The game was moved because the protesters were going to target it and the Catalan authorities couldn't guarantee the safety of the Real Madrid players, fans etc.  No doubt that is Real Madrid's fault too.

Jesus wept...

Och it was a wee Joker!

If they are linked it's because the Catalan people have been force fed this idea that Real Madrid and Franco and the government of the day are the same thing.  They're not, but Barça legend Xavi himself even admitted that kids in Catalonia are brought up to hate Real Madrid so what chance have they got?

The game was moved because the protesters were going to target it and the Catalan authorities couldn't guarantee the safety of the Real Madrid players, fans etc.  No doubt that is Real Madrid's fault too.

Jesus wept...

I’m for a wee joke anytime !

We’ll let that go.

So, we’re agreeing there is a link then, regardless of who’s at fault. Frankly( as bad a pun as you’ll see today ! ), there are no good guys, bad guys in this, I’m sure we can also agree on that !

Edited by Boab

Stephane Grappelli
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

I’m for a wee joke anytime !

We’ll let that go.

So, we’re agreeing there is a link then, regardless of who’s at fault. Frankly( as bad a pun as you’ll see today ! ), there are no good guys, bad guys in this, I’m sure we can also agree on that !

I don't really think there is a link, no.  My point is that people lazily trot out the Real Madrid are fascists/Franco's team stuff without really knowing what they are talking about.

The problems in Catalonia just now are nothing to do with Real Madrid, let alone whether it is or isn't a fascist club.

Agree with your last part though!

I don't really think there is a link, no.  My point is that people lazily trot out the Real Madrid are fascists/Franco's team stuff without really knowing what they are talking about.

The problems in Catalonia just now are nothing to do with Real Madrid, let alone whether it is or isn't a fascist club.

Agree with your last part though!

I agree. Using football as a link to constitutional problems is there though, we’ve spoke about the game being targeted. Also the perception of certain teams, which, I agree, is quite wrong.

No taking any side here.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Welsh is not a race.

See you just don’t get it, are the English a race, no. Can you be racist to an English person, yes. 
Here’s an article about White English people racially abusing other white English people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-racism-hate-crime-figures-rise-white-british-being-attacked-a7360836.html

Slating Bale and the Welsh as a whole is racist, by the law of the land in 2019.

Pasquale for King

I’m talking about Scotland, the UK is not a country.

If it has nothing to do with Real Madrid why was the El Clasico postponed? The upsurge in Spanish flags has been noticeable the last two years at games. 
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4589844/catalonia-referendum-barcelona-real-madrid-spanish-flags/

been here before
22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

See you just don’t get it, are the English a race, no. Can you be racist to an English person, yes. 
Here’s an article about White English people racially abusing other white English people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-racism-hate-crime-figures-rise-white-british-being-attacked-a7360836.html

Slating Bale and the Welsh as a whole is racist, by the law of the land in 2019.

Imagine being so reprehensible that people on a messageboard cant decide if you're a racist or a bigot.

Some life.

40 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Finding the Welsh irritating is not racist. If finding a particular group of people irritating there are 8 billion racist people on this planet.

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Finding the Welsh irritating is not racist. If finding a particular group of people irritating there are 8 billion racist people on this planet.

When you actually go into detail why you hate them then it crosses into racism in my opinion, would you ever call Sturgeon an English hating racist for example? 
I wonder if Bale would ever see the criticism he receives in Spain as racism 🤔?

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, been here before said:

Imagine being so reprehensible that people on a messageboard cant decide if you're a racist or a bigot.

Some life.

I think I’ve made my decision, not that it matters in the grand scale of things.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

When you actually go into detail why you hate them then it crosses into racism in my opinion, would you ever call Sturgeon an English hating racist for example? 
I wonder if Bale would ever see the criticism he receives in Spain as racism 🤔?

You seem so driven to find racism. Racism is there, all over the world, it exists. I have had many a racist thought in my time and in the privacy of my private circle I have said racist things. It happens and if we are all honest I am sure we all have. I am certainly no racist, skin colour etc is as important to me as what an ant has for dinner. Saying the Welsh irritate me is as much racist as me saying I hate weegies. The definition of racism in 10 years will be to call someone a dick. It is getting ridiclous and quite frankly it is now getting devalued by this crap. And it should never be devalued. Racism is bad, racism is wrong. And yes I think Sturgeon has a problem with the English and she is many horrible things to me but I do not see her as racist.

Stephane Grappelli
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m talking about Scotland, the UK is not a country.

If it has nothing to do with Real Madrid why was the El Clasico postponed? The upsurge in Spanish flags has been noticeable the last two years at games. 
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4589844/catalonia-referendum-barcelona-real-madrid-spanish-flags/

You're quoting the Sun now?

The protests are to do with Catalan politicians being put in prison.  What does that have to do with Real Madrid?

The game was postponed because the protesters in Barcelona were going to target it and the safety of the Madrid players, fans etc couldn't be guaranteed.  Are you blaming Real Madrid for that?

Were the terrorist attacks in Glasgow Airport not in Scotland then?

You're all over the place laddie!

Edited by Stephane Grappelli

Stephane Grappelli
2 hours ago, Boab said:

I agree. Using football as a link to constitutional problems is there though, we’ve spoke about the game being targeted. Also the perception of certain teams, which, I agree, is quite wrong.

No taking any side here.

Cheers sir.  Not saying Real Madrid is whiter than white, pardon the pun, but a lot of people just believe and repeat the old fascist stuff without really knowing much about it.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Of course you can, but only if it's based on their race, not their nationality. "I hate Welsh people" isn't necessarily racist, "I hate Welsh people because of their race/something specific to their race" is racist regardless of whether you are the same race or not. The first one is more than likely xenophobia and lazy stereotyping.

I've found Welsh rugby fans fairly annoying too similar to i8 but it's not specific to just Welsh fans nor is it applicable to Welsh people in general. I'm anti-annoying rugby knobs who sometimes happen to be Welsh, sometimes English and heavens forbid...sometimes Scottish. Incidentally, all 3 of those are the same race, is what I've said racist? 

I should add that I totally agree with @been here before in that arguing you aren't racist and instead are xenophobic is somewhat a moot point as you're still being a tit. 'you' as in one, not you personally obviously

Edited by Taffin

Cheers sir.  Not saying Real Madrid is whiter than white, pardon the pun, but a lot of people just believe and repeat the old fascist stuff without really knowing much about it.

Indeed. The Spanish Civil War has some awful atrocities on both sides. That, of course, is for another thread.

Cheers for the chinwag.

👍

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

You seem so driven to find racism. Racism is there, all over the world, it exists. I have had many a racist thought in my time and in the privacy of my private circle I have said racist things. It happens and if we are all honest I am sure we all have. I am certainly no racist, skin colour etc is as important to me as what an ant has for dinner. Saying the Welsh irritate me is as much racist as me saying I hate weegies. The definition of racism in 10 years will be to call someone a dick. It is getting ridiclous and quite frankly it is now getting devalued by this crap. And it should never be devalued. Racism is bad, racism is wrong. And yes I think Sturgeon has a problem with the English and she is many horrible things to me but I do not see her as racist.

I’m just trying to explain to you what racism means in this day and age, I’ve given you proof that skin colour is only part of it. 
Im not that enamoured with weegies either, I have also used all racist terms in my youth and now realise I was wrong. I enjoy trips through to Glasgow now for political meetings etc, I realised I hated getting beat through there. 
I also don’t really like Bale but just because he’s a bit of a thicko who refuses to learn Spanish.

Pasquale for King

You're quoting the Sun now?

The protests are to do with Catalan politicians being put in prison.  What does that have to do with Real Madrid?

The game was postponed because the protesters in Barcelona were going to target it and the safety of the Madrid players, fans etc couldn't be guaranteed.  Are you blaming Real Madrid for that?

Were the terrorist attacks in Glasgow Airport not in Scotland then?

You're all over the place laddie!

Terrorist attacks, plural? Two deranged loonies with a gas bottle in a car isn’t equatable to Spain and Ireland. Once in three hundred years.
Real Madrid have had links with Franco, they’re viewed as the establishment club in much the same way as Rangers are. Have they ever tried to distance themselves from the fascist dictator in the 40 years since he died?

All over the place, possibly in that we are in the wrong area talking about politics and the Mods might reprimand us.

I don’t like RM, or Bale or their other players.

Apologies for the Sun but it was the first I came to.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Of course you can, but only if it's based on their race, not their nationality. "I hate Welsh people" isn't necessarily racist, "I hate Welsh people because of their race/something specific to their race" is racist regardless of whether you are the same race or not. The first one is more than likely xenophobia and lazy stereotyping.

I've found Welsh rugby fans fairly annoying too similar to i8 but it's not specific to just Welsh fans nor is it applicable to Welsh people in general. I'm anti-annoying rugby knobs who sometimes happen to be Welsh, sometimes English and heavens forbid...sometimes Scottish. Incidentally, all 3 of those are the same race, is what I've said racist? 

I should add that I totally agree with @been here before in that arguing you aren't racist and instead are xenophobic is somewhat a moot point as you're still being a tit. 'you' as in one, not you personally obviously

He did specify it was because they are look at me I’m Welsh, and that it was part of their character. Not that Bale is like that though.

The Hogfather
11 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

You are some piece of work.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He did specify it was because they are look at me I’m Welsh, and that it was part of their character. Not that Bale is like that though.

Something being part of the Welsh character isn't racism as it isn't a race, regardless of what race you are. It's xenophobia...unless he meant it's part of the character of Welsh people's race which I doubt he did but accept I don't know that.

Anyway it's off topic and I don't disagree with your sentiments 👍👍

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Something being part of the Welsh character isn't racism as it isn't a race, regardless of what race you are. It's xenophobia...unless he meant it's part of the character of Welsh people's race which I doubt he did but accept I don't know that.

Anyway it's off topic and I don't disagree with your sentiments 👍👍

It’s a minefield no doubt about that.

Has someone started a thread about Saturday yet ffs 🙈😆.

Stephane Grappelli
4 hours ago, Boab said:

Indeed. The Spanish Civil War has some awful atrocities on both sides. That, of course, is for another thread.

Cheers for the chinwag.

👍

It did.  I'm fascinated by it and it's scary to think it wasn't that long ago.

Same to you chief. 

Same to you chief. 

I’m a self confessed Italophile so their influence in Spanish affairs fascinates me also. A war that had greater influence than commonly thought. We’ll talk again, mate.

On topic...ahem....Bale was probably near the best I’ve seen at Tynecastle, glad I seen it. 

Edited by Boab

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Boab said:

I’m a self confessed Italophile so their influence in Spanish affairs fascinates me also. A war that had greater influence than commonly thought. We’ll talk again, mate.

On topic...ahem....Bale was probably near the best I’ve seen at Tynecastle, glad I seen it. 

WWII fascinates me, the part all the countries played in it before and after, you could spend your whole life studying it and barely scratch the surface. Both my parents lived through it and had some amazing stories to tell. Powdered eggs, can’t even imagine it. The UK and Spain perfected the Firestorm in partnership, it was used in Dresden to devastating effect.

I thought Van De Vaart was the best player on the pitch, quite frankly a joy to watch such a great team. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Same to you chief. 

Do you have any recommendations on books to read about it, I would like to know more? 

Stephane Grappelli
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do you have any recommendations on books to read about it, I would like to know more? 

I do indeed sir.  Check out a man called Paul Preston, he's arguably the leading authority on it and has written loads of books.  One called The Spanish Civil War gives a good overview of the whole conflict to start off with.

George Orwell of course too, Homage to Catalonia is fantastic.

For fiction I'd recommend For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway or the one that started off my interest in the while thing, A Moment of War by Laurie Lee.

Stephane Grappelli
6 hours ago, Boab said:

Look forward to it chief.

Aye, he and Spurs were brilliant that night.  Just on another level from us.

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

WWII fascinates me, the part all the countries played in it before and after, you could spend your whole life studying it and barely scratch the surface. Both my parents lived through it and had some amazing stories to tell. Powdered eggs, can’t even imagine it. The UK and Spain perfected the Firestorm in partnership, it was used in Dresden to devastating effect.

I thought Van De Vaart was the best player on the pitch, quite frankly a joy to watch such a great team. 

He absolutely blew me away that night. Incredible performance and ran the show. 

45 minutes ago, Taffin said:

He absolutely blew me away that night. Incredible performance and ran the show. 

Still adamant it was handball in the lead up to the first goal! 

16 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Still adamant it was handball in the lead up to the first goal! 

In all honesty I can't remember it. I just remember thinking he was incredible.