Gareth Bale

Hansel

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I do indeed sir.  Check out a man called Paul Preston, he's arguably the leading authority on it and has written loads of books.  One called The Spanish Civil War gives a good overview of the whole conflict to start off with.

George Orwell of course too, Homage to Catalonia is fantastic.

For fiction I'd recommend For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway or the one that started off my interest in the while thing, A Moment of War by Laurie Lee.

I recently read Dan Brown - Origin, and it contains a fair bit referring to Franco. It was a timely read as he was exhumed from Valle de los Caídos shortly after I finished it and this features in the book.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Stephane Grappelli

• i8hibsh

• Boab

Stephane Grappelli
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I recently read Dan Brown - Origin, and it contains a fair bit referring to Franco. It was a timely read as he was exhumed from Valle de los Caídos shortly after I finished it and this features in the book.

Cheers guv.

4 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I do indeed sir.  Check out a man called Paul Preston, he's arguably the leading authority on it and has written loads of books.  One called The Spanish Civil War gives a good overview of the whole conflict to start off with.

George Orwell of course too, Homage to Catalonia is fantastic.

For fiction I'd recommend For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway or the one that started off my interest in the while thing, A Moment of War by Laurie Lee.

Laurie Lee is, and has been for 20+ years, my favourite author.

Arturo Barea wrote a brilliant autobiographical trilogy about Spain, the years before the Civil War and the third book is during the Civil War.  The Forge, the Track and the Clash.  It can be a little hard to get into, but once you're in its great.

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Taffin said:

He absolutely blew me away that night. Incredible performance and ran the show. 

Amazing to watch players of that quality, speed of pass and thought, touch and vision. Once it got to 3 nil you couldn’t help but enjoy it. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Sydney said:

Arturo Barea wrote a brilliant autobiographical trilogy about Spain, the years before the Civil War and the third book is during the Civil War.  The Forge, the Track and the Clash.  It can be a little hard to get into, but once you're in its great.

A few more ideas.

Stephane Grappelli
22 hours ago, Sydney said:

Cheers! Bought the Arturo Barea one a wee while back but haven't got round to reading it yet. Will move it up the list!

Samuel Camazzola
On 20/11/2019 at 09:09, It should have been ten said:

Will be Mourinho’s first signing for Spurs 

Or Beckham's first big signing for the Miami side. Ronaldo and Messi possibilities too. 

On 19/11/2019 at 22:33, CostaJambo said:

Classic. GIRUY Zidane. Great player but terrible man manager.

Three European Cups says different