Live flight information

Boof

Anybody using flightradat24 or similar able to spot something curious going on with an aircraft just to the west of Shetland right now?

BA7037/CFE7037 or G-LCYS left EDI just under an hour ago, headed straight north and now seems to be drawing wonky patterns.

I'm just a wee bit baffled and a wee bit curious - anyone able to shed some light?

Edit - could be heading for Scatsta but that would be unusual for this time and you'd expect it to be well below 36,000 feet by now.

Edited by Boof

Салатные палочки

Crew training probably. They're at 36000 ft so definitely not in a hold and there's no emergency squawk code. Virgin have been doing it for the past week with the A350 from Glasgow up over the Highlands and back again. Will probably return to Edinburgh in a while. 

Sexton Hardcastle

There was some story the other day about a glitch which made a flight over Scotland show as if it was over the North Pole or some such. 

so maybe another fault?

4 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Crew training probably. They're at 36000 ft so definitely not in a hold and there's no emergency squawk code. Virgin have been doing it for the past week with the A350 from Glasgow up over the Highlands and back again. Will probably return to Edinburgh in a while. 

Much better informed response than mine. How high would a hold normally be at?

Wind is nothing out of the ordinary.

Seems an expensive way to do crew training but not doubting it.

Considered a glitch in the app.

Never knew that aurora spotting flights were a thing but it is a beautiful clear night.

Салатные палочки
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Much better informed response than mine. How high would a hold normally be at?

Depends on the circumstances I suppose. At Heathrow where it is busy aircraft could be held 30 odd miles out so they would probably be about 10000ft at a guess, lower if holding closer to the airport. 

If it was weather related I would imagine they would have to hold above whatever weather is causing the delay in landing. 

The aircraft in question has had a couple of technical issues in the past week or so. There is a chance it's landed at Edinburgh and they have carried out some maintenance and the crew are testing it out. 

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

Depends on the circumstances I suppose. At Heathrow where it is busy aircraft could be held 30 odd miles out so they would probably be about 10000ft at a guess, lower if holding closer to the airport. 

If it was weather related I would imagine they would have to hold above whatever weather is causing the delay in landing. 

The aircraft in question has had a couple of technical issues in the past week or so. There is a chance it's landed at Edinburgh and they have carried out some maintenance and the crew are testing it out. 

Thanks. Check the link I posted above. @scottishguy appears to have been spot on!

3 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Nice one. I actually didn't know of these. Would be great to see them from the air, no clouds in the way. 

Indeed. I wonder what the chances are that you will see them on any given flight though? I've only ever seen them twice, both times while living in Orkney where I thought I would see them more regularly, so I thought they were fairly sporadic. The flights appears to be planned a long time ahead.

Edited by redjambo

Just nipped outside for a look to see if I could spot any flashing lights - no such luck. Too many twinkling stars to throw me off the scent!

Cloudwise it should be good but it seems to be fairly weak aurora-wise tonight.

Certainly from ground level there's not much visible in the aurora department. 

1 minute ago, Boof said:

Just nipped outside for a look to see if I could spot any flashing lights - no such luck. Too many twinkling stars to throw me off the scent!

Cloudwise it should be good but it seems to be fairly weak aurora-wise tonight.

Certainly from ground level there's not much visible in the aurora department. 

How often do you get a good aurora up there (although, as you say, a lot depends on cloud cover)?

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

How often do you get a good aurora up there (although, as you say, a lot depends on cloud cover)?

According to my Mrs, who likes to go out and take photos of them, we're currently in a spell of minimal solar activity. Things should pick up in a couple of years. 

In practical terms, I suppose we have them often enough that unless it's a really good display, I'll not delay my walk from car to house much more than half a minute or so. Also depends how cold, wet, windy it is though there are some locals who take some pretty bloody good pictures. Important to note, however, that those will be with the shutter open 10-20 seconds or so - the live view will be significantly diluted. But able to see the movement of it so swings and roundabouts. 

3 minutes ago, Boof said:

According to my Mrs, who likes to go out and take photos of them, we're currently in a spell of minimal solar activity. Things should pick up in a couple of years. 

In practical terms, I suppose we have them often enough that unless it's a really good display, I'll not delay my walk from car to house much more than half a minute or so. Also depends how cold, wet, windy it is though there are some locals who take some pretty bloody good pictures. Important to note, however, that those will be with the shutter open 10-20 seconds or so - the live view will be significantly diluted. But able to see the movement of it so swings and roundabouts. 

One of the advantages of living on Shetland. I must visit the islands some day (the closest I've ever been is North Ronaldsay), but it looks as if I should wait a couple of years until the sun gets it act together again. :)

I am obsessed by this app. Every so often when I'm bored I'll go on it and track various planes. Fascinating. I find the flight tracks really interesting too.

6 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I am obsessed by this app. Every so often when I'm bored I'll go on it and track various planes. Fascinating. I find the flight tracks really interesting too.

The marine one is good too.

8 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Ditto. Out and about and I see a flight, I just have to check where its headed

8 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Thank feck I'm not the only one who does this.

I'm on the flight path to Edinburgh Airport and I often track them flying over my house.

I can also see the North American flight route from my house, obviously away in the distance, but if it's a clear day you can see the planes & vapor trails and I'll often see where those lucky bams are off to. 

Even seen & tracked the plane one of my daughters was on, on her way from Heathrow to LA.

Often use this to determine which side to sit on the plane when going on holiday, example was a trip to Venice, sit on the left hand side all you see is land, sit on the right hand side and I got a wonderful view of the whole of Venice from a few hundred feet above and to the side of it, of course youtube is also good for seeing what there is to see when landing & taking off.

21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Thank feck I'm not the only one who does this.

I'm on the flight path to Edinburgh Airport and I often track them flying over my house.

I can also see the North American flight route from my house, obviously away in the distance, but if it's a clear day you can see the planes & vapor trails and I'll often see where those lucky bams are off to. 

Even seen & tracked the plane one of my daughters was on, on her way from Heathrow to LA.

Often use this to determine which side to sit on the plane when going on holiday, example was a trip to Venice, sit on the left hand side all you see is land, sit on the right hand side and I got a wonderful view of the whole of Venice from a few hundred feet above and to the side of it, of course youtube is also good for seeing what there is to see when landing & taking off.

Fear not, I do the same things!! Whenever a friend or family member is flying I'll track it all the way. You do see some interesting/random flight patterns, go-arounds etc. I find it interesting seeing how all the US/Canadian bound planes (of which there are a huge number) go west-bound during our day and then it reverses at night. There are also unbelievably few planes over the continent of Africa.

11 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Ditto :lol:

Anybody noticed those project Loon things over South America and West Indies? Reckon I need to scratch that curiosity itch...

Салатные палочки

I'm a full on aviation geek and occasional plane spotter :laugh2:. However, I actually didn't download FR24 until about a year ago and it has to be one of the most enjoyable apps I have. I sometimes take a wild guess at a plane in the sky if I'm with the kids and say "I reckon that's an Air France A380 going to Los Angeles, what do you think?". You can usually tell an A380 in the sky anyway. I then open the app and click on it and sometimes I'm right. They used to be impressed but now they just think I'm a sad **** :laugh2:

We stayed in the Normandy Hotel in Renfrew before our holiday last month and it was great. Sat at the window with FR24 open, the landing planes coming right past the window and a glass of wine in hand. 

So yeah, FR24 is great. 

24 minutes ago, Boof said:

Ditto :lol:

Anybody noticed those project Loon things over South America and West Indies? Reckon I need to scratch that curiosity itch...

Yep, read up on that!! Thing its to do with providing internet coverage to rural areas.

Anyone pay for the full version of FlightRadar24? Is it worth it? Was thinking of getting it but I fear that it would only fuel my addiction further 😂😂

1 minute ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Yep, read up on that!! Thing its to do with providing internet coverage to rural areas.

Fascinating.

1 minute ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Anyone pay for the full version of FlightRadar24? Is it worth it? Was thinking of getting it but I fear that it would only fuel my addiction further 😂😂

I haven't but I only noticed last night just how many features seem to be currently locked. Maybe wait for better 4G coverage so I can access it oot n aboot.

Салатные палочки
56 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Get the 7 day trial and see if you like it enough. I tried it but I only really liked the additional features of seeing the squawk code and what was on the ground at the airports. You can also see flights that are due to arrive/depart that aren't on the scheduled arrivals/departures. 

Another Saddo here.

Love sitting on my balcony when holiday in Tenerife tracking them comin in.

Same when out walking the dog, I'm constantly checkin them.

Seen an Easjet to Nottingham from Tenerife just get north of the island and turn back.

Was wondering if I was going to see an engine on fire. Most likely a drunk kicking off :lol:

I really need to get a life :lol:

6 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Get the 7 day trial and see if you like it enough. I tried it but I only really liked the additional features of seeing the squawk code and what was on the ground at the airports. You can also see flights that are due to arrive/depart that aren't on the scheduled arrivals/departures. 

Why does the squawk interest you??

Салатные палочки
27 minutes ago, dougal said:

Why does the squawk interest you??

Well it doesn't interest me as much as say, aircraft type, age, route etc, but if you see an aircraft with a squawk 7700 then you know it's an emergency. There was actually one tonight, a BA A320 that landed at Glasgow with a medical emergency. It doesn't greatly interest me but it's something out the ordinary. 

23 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Wasnt there a story during the week about a plane coming from Spain which was showing thousands of miles off course?

It appears that TK6435 flying from Istanbul to Madrid is currently somewhere around the Faroe Islands!

Edited by Boof

All roads lead to Gorgie

I tune in to this often when I see a vapour trail over head. I also like to see how far north over Greenland flights can take, some flights from say Vancouver to the Middle East can be way north of everything else. 

It is also good to see the potential route a flight you might be taking is likely to take although the position of the jetstream and weather conditions can alter that.

Great website!

All roads lead to Gorgie

A couple of Aeromexico flights, one of which passed over Scotland about an hour ago crossing the Atlantic now. Mostly cargo at this time of night though. I am really sad but it gets me away from the dreaded footie I suppose!

8 hours ago, Boof said:

It appears that TK6435 flying from Istanbul to Madrid is currently somewhere around the Faroe Islands!

And ended up in Chicago!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about aviation...but that seems a helluva diversion! :lol:

14 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Well it doesn't interest me as much as say, aircraft type, age, route etc, but if you see an aircraft with a squawk 7700 then you know it's an emergency. There was actually one tonight, a BA A320 that landed at Glasgow with a medical emergency. It doesn't greatly interest me but it's something out the ordinary. 

Was just curious that's all. I'm an air traffic controller so was just seeing what sort of information you were interested in. 

12 hours ago, Jeff said:

Off topic but I assume during 9/11 the radars wouldn't show?

Would've been a crazy website that day

Can only assume that unless someone with appropriate power got in touch with the people operating flight radar and other similar apps to shut down or stop them transmitting the data then you would've been able to follow what was going on. 

People were able to get replays on these apps when the Malaysian flight was shot down over the Ukraine which had shown that there were a couple of other aircraft which had flown the same route 15 or 20 minutes earlier, I think there was a BA flight and possibly a Lufthansa that were in the vicinity at a similar time.

24 minutes ago, dougal said:

Was just curious that's all. I'm an air traffic controller so was just seeing what sort of information you were interested in. 

:yas:

Wow, in fact Double wow, deserves a thread of it's own.

I,m lucky if I last 30 secs on Airport madness apps :lol:

44 minutes ago, dougal said:

Can only assume that unless someone with appropriate power got in touch with the people operating flight radar and other similar apps to shut down or stop them transmitting the data then you would've been able to follow what was going on. 

People were able to get replays on these apps when the Malaysian flight was shot down over the Ukraine which had shown that there were a couple of other aircraft which had flown the same route 15 or 20 minutes earlier, I think there was a BA flight and possibly a Lufthansa that were in the vicinity at a similar time.

Like the POTUS for example?

Салатные палочки
35 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

:yas:

Wow, in fact Double wow, deserves a thread of it's own.

I,m lucky if I last 30 secs on Airport madness apps :lol:

Indeed.  I get confused just watching them on the telly.