Live flight information

Boof

5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Like the POTUS for example?

Yeah or the PM/President etc of any country where there's an ongoing incident affecting aircraft. A lot of the information that is shown on these apps is already out there. You can purchase navigational equipment for private light aircraft that can give the pilot's (of the light aircraft) information obtained from ADS-B satellites, so I presume the only way to really stop the information being available on these apps would be for the operator of the apps to stop them running/working.

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

An RAF Globemaster circling over Edinburgh/The Forth at the moment.

IMG-20210114-WA0024.jpg

I downloaded the app and picked this up. And then managed to time stepping out my front door just in time to see it doing it’s final approach as I can see all the flights going down the Forth as they are coming in to land. It’s a big bugger. 

It's the scrambling of jets to intercept russian bombers that i'm interested in. 

It's a monthly occurrence. 

Couldn't give a monkeys about council planes. 

Ok that’s strange. Definitely did an approach to Edinburgh and was at about 600ft on it’s way down. Now it’s showing as being over the borders at 10,000ft.  Almost like it was doing a practice approach in case they ever have to land in Edinburgh. 

20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ok that’s strange. Definitely did an approach to Edinburgh and was at about 600ft on it’s way down. Now it’s showing as being over the borders at 10,000ft.  Almost like it was doing a practice approach in case they ever have to land in Edinburgh. 

Seems to have also been up Aberdeen way too. Not sure if it landed up there or done the same.

There were 3 RAF planes doing training flights over Edinburgh last week.

Салатные палочки
10 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Seems to have also been up Aberdeen way too. Not sure if it landed up there or done the same.

There were 3 RAF planes doing training flights over Edinburgh last week.

Looks like a touch and go up there also. If it stopped there the wee trail would disappear off the screen. 

We get RAF planes & helicopters fairly regulary on day & night flights, they follow the path of the Tweed and fly just a couple of hundred feet off the ground, C-130's, Chinooks, Apache helicopters and then there's the fighters, Typhoons nowadays although they fly a bit higher, maybe 1000 ft or so.

Used to be great when RAF Leuchars was still operating as we were on the flight path between Leuchars & Otterburn, we also used to get regular exercises with US planes as well, F-15 & F-16's & in those days Tornado's.

54 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I downloaded the app and picked this up. And then managed to time stepping out my front door just in time to see it doing it’s final approach as I can see all the flights going down the Forth as they are coming in to land. It’s a big bugger. 

I see all the planes coming to land over the forth too rather live with them approaching than taking off . My work is at newbridge and it’s a pain in the arse nearly crashed few weeks back RAF fighter jet took off was over me got a fright looking for it in sky it appears going towards Queensferry in seconds 😂

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Been quite a lot of RAF planes, particularly the C-17, flying up and around Edinburgh over the past few months. I guess they're just utilising the quieter than usual airspace to do some training.

By no means am I an aviation buff or the likes, but I do find Flightradar24 very interesting. During lockdown, I've found myself sitting watching it on the laptop quite a lot. My girlfriend loves it too. The marine was is quite interesting as well.

19 minutes ago, Locky said:

Been quite a lot of RAF planes, particularly the C-17, flying up and around Edinburgh over the past few months. I guess they're just utilising the quieter than usual airspace to do some training.

By no means am I an aviation buff or the likes, but I do find Flightradar24 very interesting. During lockdown, I've found myself sitting watching it on the laptop quite a lot. My girlfriend loves it too. The marine was is quite interesting as well.

I'm on the approach to Edinburgh so get (in normal times) a lot of planes flying over my house (usually at 6000-9000 ft) and often use Flightradar24 to see who it is.  If I know when Miss JJ is working I'll often follow her flight.  When we go on holiday I always sit at a window seat and weather permitting and if there is anything interesting I'll take lots of photos, then when I come back I can replay the flight route and see exactly where it was that we flew over and match that photo to that city or mountain or feature.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm on the approach to Edinburgh so get (in normal times) a lot of planes flying over my house (usually at 6000-9000 ft) and often use Flightradar24 to see who it is.  If I know when Miss JJ is working I'll often follow her flight.  When we go on holiday I always sit at a window seat and weather permitting and if there is anything interesting I'll take lots of photos, then when I come back I can replay the flight route and see exactly where it was that we flew over and match that photo to that city or mountain or feature.

I'm definitely going to study the flight path for when I can actually fly to places again. I love sitting at the window but seem to have awful luck as to what side I actually sit on. :lol:

Seen a few football stadiums from up above. Usually ones in the city in which I'm landing, but seen Sunderland's on the way back into Edinburgh once.

30 minutes ago, Locky said:

I'm definitely going to study the flight path for when I can actually fly to places again. I love sitting at the window but seem to have awful luck as to what side I actually sit on. :lol:

Seen a few football stadiums from up above. Usually ones in the city in which I'm landing, but seen Sunderland's on the way back into Edinburgh once.

Fly from Edinburgh to Gatwick fly over Liverpool right over Anfield and Goodison can see it on a clear day . 

2 hours ago, Locky said:

I’ve used the marine one also alway wonder where the boats actually come from and how long they have traveled when see them coming up the forth. 

35 minutes ago, Locky said:

Youtube is your friend, especially for take-off & landings.

been here before
11 minutes ago, Gone said:

Circling around Edinburgh and the Forth again

Aye theres a Hercules been low over mines a few times now. Oddly satisfying watching it travel around on an app then following it over your own head.

Download Freedar.Uk if you want to track military aircraft. Used it last year while on furlough, loads of military stuff using the airports as they were so quiet.

Follow the RAF on twitter and they normally tell what's flying around.