***Official St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

10 minutes ago, rick witter said:

So three of that back 4 are in their wrong position. What could possibly go wrong. 

Why on earth would you not go with a back 4 of  smith halkett dikamona and Hickey if we are leaving Berra out

Hickey fine at RB as is Smith in centre.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rick witter

• pettigrewsstylist

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

Levein was going mental at Berra constantly on Wednesday night for not carrying the ball forward and hoofing it. Day are numbered sadly with souttar coming back in soon.

1 minute ago, rick witter said:

Smith Rb playing Cb 

Hickey LB playing RB 

Mulraney LW playing LB 

Is that made it better for you. What exactly are you stuck on?? 

Jesus ****

You know fine well Smith is more than capable at CB as is Hickey RB , i dont see why we wont play 3-4-1-2 or the 3-4-3 which we have been starting with in which case

hickey halkett smith

mulraney whelan damour mulraney

meshi

uche maclean

Hardly worth having a breakdown over is it

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

In many ways today's game is bigger and more important than our last two albeit against what some would say is weaker opposition.

St Mirren will be very hard to beat but all things considered this should be a game although difficult that we should be winning.

IF we don't win this then the jury is still out on whether CL has really turned the corner.

With our budget and players we should be comfortably in the top four even with a number of injuries.

This

Just now, sadj said:

Jesus ****

You know fine well Smith is more than capable at CB as is Hickey RB , i dont see why we wont play 3-4-1-2 or the 3-4-3 which we have been starting with in which case

hickey halkett smith

meshi

uche maclean

Jake gonna get tired 😀

Just now, GinRummy said:

So hickey in a 3?

Don't see why not. Would take him at lcb over mulraney playing there. 

Back there of Hickey, Halkett and Smith is the safest bet there all day long. 

Imo 

1 minute ago, rick witter said:

Smith Rb playing Cb 

Hickey LB playing RB 

Mulraney LW playing LB 

You obviously don’t pay attention to Hearts in any detail.

Hickey has played both full back positions and midfield through the ranks. Just because he has started in the first team as a LB that doesn’t mean that him playing RB is him playing out of position. He has played it a few times already this season. So Hickey can play both sides - it’s called being a modern talented footballer.

Smith has played right back, CB and midfield. When played more centrally in defence he has generally been excellent. Again - he has played there before and played well.

It's an old fashioned layout of Goalie - Pereira, Centre Half - Halkett, 2 Full backs - Smith and Hickey, 2 Half Backs - Whelan and Damour, 2 Wingers - Morrison and Mulraney,  2  Inside Forwards - Meshino and Maclean and a centre forward - Uche.  Brings back the good old days.

Just now, Blacky87 said:

Don't see why not. Would take him at lcb over mulraney playing there. 

Back there of Hickey, Halkett and Smith is the safest bet there all day long. 

Imo 

👍 just checking what you meant 

Brighton Jambo
15 minutes ago, rick witter said:

So three of that back 4 are in their wrong position. What could possibly go wrong. 

Why on earth would you not go with a back 4 of  smith halkett dikamona and Hickey if we are leaving Berra out

Given Dikamona isn’t even on bench he has clearly picked up a knock 

3 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Smith Rb playing Cb 

Hickey LB playing RB 

Mulraney LW playing LB 

I know you don't come over as the sharpest but you do know that some players have the ability to play more than 1 position or formation. To say Smith isn't a good centre back or that Hickey isn't comfortable on both sides shows startling ignorance and lack of observational skills. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Jammy T said:

Smith has played right back, CB and midfield. When played more centrally in defence he has generally been excellent. 

He has.

2 minutes ago, Blacky87 said:

Basically let's just wait until someone from the match tells us. 😂

I wouldn’t rely on that - people couldn’t get it right at the Aberdeen game 

Edited by Jammy T

1 minute ago, HoGwash said:

I know you don't come over as the sharpest but you do know that some players have the ability to play more than 1 position or formation. To say Smith isn't a good centre back or that Hickey isn't comfortable on both sides shows startling ignorance and lack of observational skills. 

There is a difference between players being able to fill in when necessary however it does not make sense to keep moving players about just because the Coach can't help tinkering.

Got a good feeling for a Hearts victory.......  The Derby game may prove a turning point not just for Craig, but getting back into top 6 before Christmas season games...    

5 minutes ago, sadj said:

Jesus ****

hickey halkett smith

meshi

uche maclean

I admire your faith in Mulraney, Sadj. You're expecting him to cover some amount of ground😎

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Given Dikamona isn’t even on bench he has clearly picked up a knock 

Assume so . Also I would assume Berra is injured/rested not , as some take delight in saying , dropped .

Can't make out all of the subs ? On phone , best bins on , but blurry 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Who is playing where in that lineup? 

Why does it always have to be an experiment!! Does my head in 

You're an enigma tbh. 

We all agree results and performances haven't been good enough and Berra has generally been a weak link. 

So, with that in mind, do we play the same formation and players or do we change things? 

I'd say we change things. 

So, We change things and you go into a rage. 

I'd only not change a winning formation and players that are playing well. 

Makes sense to change things imo if that's not the case

4 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

Hickey I agree has looked fine on both sides of the park. Given that he is a 17 year old kid I would much rather see him play in 1 settled position. 

Smith is no way on earth a better central defensive option than Berra. It makes no sense whatsoever to play him there with Berra on the bench. 

If Dikamona has been available yes drop Berra but I just don’t see why you would do it otherwise. 

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, johnthomas said:

Assume so . Also I would assume Berra is injured/rested not , as some take delight in saying , dropped .

Can't make out all of the subs ? On phone , best bins on , but blurry 

Doyle, Berra, Irving, Keena, Bozanic, White, Clare

26 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

It must be 4-4-2.

Pereira

Hickey Smith Halkett Mulraney

Morrison Whelan Damour Meshino

Ikpeazu MacLean

Can only be this. Maybe different furtger forward, more of a 4231 type thing

Big call. Berra needs rest though. As i said the otger day, i think we may see Haring at CB for a while if he's back before Souttar

3 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Hickey I agree has looked fine on both sides of the park. Given that he is a 17 year old kid I would much rather see him play in 1 settled position. 

Smith is no way on earth a better central defensive option than Berra. It makes no sense whatsoever to play him there with Berra on the bench. 

If Dikamona has been available yes drop Berra but I just don’t see why you would do it otherwise. 

Surely he's a better option than Berra if Christophe is knackered after 2 tough games in a few days. 

Edited by HoGwash

Brighton Jambo
Just now, rick witter said:

Because as another posted said Berra said himself after Aberdeen his was ****ed.  At his age and with his recent fitness and recent performances he desperately needed benched today.  I think it’s the bold and correct decision 

43 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Wins are better, draws aren't shite, especially away. 

Hopefully it's a win today, tho. 

A draw against St Mirren is shit, especially given the number of points we have already dropped.    

Bridge of Djoum

The usual trolls out in force on the thread. Good to see, I expect them to disappear once we score and ultimately win 2-0.

i think it looks like Morrison at RB,  Hickey LB. Meshi and Mullaney wide in a 4 man midfield. Could be wrong. Good attacking line up, resting Clare and Berra absolutely correct. Halkett and Smith should be solid. 

Just now, tazhearts said:

Was Berra not limping / carrying a knock on Wednesday night?

Yes he looked to get a knock in extra time. I noticed him bending his leg a few times as if it was painful.

He could probably do with a wee break.

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, Paolo said:

A draw against St Mirren is shit, especially given the number of points we have already dropped.    

No it’s not, Aberdeen lost there this season and rangers squeaked through by a single goal.  It’s not a good result but it’s not shit.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Because as another posted said Berra said himself after Aberdeen his was ****ed.  At his age and with his recent fitness and recent performances he desperately needed benched today.  I think it’s the bold and correct decision 

Fair point. 

Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

No it’s not, Aberdeen lost there this season and rangers squeaked through by a single goal.  It’s not a good result but it’s not shit.  

Then it was a very shit result for Aberdeen. 

Just because one team gets a shit result, it doesn’t mean another shit result is no longer shit.    That is a loser’s mentality. 

Anyway hopefully the team that’s been picked can go out and give a performance from the start. Wednesday was great opening 10 mins would love to see us start the same. 

Bridge of Djoum

Same folk demanding Berra be dropped are now....

Oh what’s the point. It’s the same posters every week. 

8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

A draw at St.Mirren IS a poor result.