Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagan

• Lovecraft

• iantjambo

• FruitJuice

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

At youth football we STILL focus on winning games by selecting the biggest strongest fastest players.. the ironically we get to senior level and churn out a team of dwarves..

time the football people stood aside and let some people with intelligence into the system. 

35 years of dross. 

It’s the Scottish way. Compare it with senior teams - no one is allowed to grow and develop. We don’t have a mentality that let’s us build and mature, it’s all about today 

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

At youth football we STILL focus on winning games by selecting the biggest strongest fastest players.. the ironically we get to senior level and churn out a team of dwarves..

time the football people stood aside and let some people with intelligence into the system. 

35 years of dross. 

Couldn't agree more, genuinely the teams in my sons age group are full of big hoofers, if the thick ***** running half the teams realised the little lads will by pass them in 5 or 6 years. 

We've actually had idiot parents complain that we are not playing our strongest team lol. 

chester copperpot
8 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Have been wondering the same thing. I genuinely don't think players are that bothered about representing Scotland these days. We might be better off just starting 11 guys that would die for the jersey and see what happens. 

I think the thing we have lost that we were good at was the battling qualities. We were always wanting things more than the opposition up till about 10/15yrs ago.

With the mentality nowadays with international teams, they are all proud to wear the Jersey and fight for everything.

Other teams have caught up with us and even overtaken us in fight and spirit. We have still stayed behind with our technical ability though so have got a massive chasm of ability now.

Teams like Croatia are fine examples. Always have had bags of ability and flair, but when we used to play them we would try and bully them. Now they bully us but also play us off the park.

The fight and effort part is easy to replicate, the technical part will never be changed until we have a total overhaul of how we do things.

I doubt this will change in my lifetime, which kills me as I have spoken about this in depth to folk I work with!

Edited by chester copperpot

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Scotland were very good for 28 minutes, then we, for whatever reason, took our foot off the gas, sat too deep, gave them too much time and just started watching them move us side to side.

Lapses in concentration like that will always be taken advantage off at International level. Simply not good enough, I hope Steve boots them up the erse at half time for that.

We’ve let the Ruski’s grow and become more confident. We need to assert ourselves early doors or they’ll come out and score, then shut up shop. 2-1 or 3-1 Russia is on the cards at the moment.

How perceptive was that.  Here's how the weekend has started for me.  Scotland rubbish in Glasgow.  Hearts rubbish in Ireland.   England rubbish in Manchester.

Starting to wonder if it's my fault.

We'd be as well just playing the younger players now to blood them for the next World Cup campaign but Clarke will hang his hat on a vague hope of qualifying via this stupid Nations League play-off thing and keep playing people like Mulgrew.

23 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

The papers will no doubt start questioning the appointment soon enough.

Exactly. At some point we need to admit that somewhere along the line we’ve completely lost the plot when it comes to developing football players and work out how, as one nation, we can put a program in place that will change things. It could take 20 years however! 

6 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Poor international level players are not going to do much more regardless of the coach involved, mind when folk thought it was all big ecks fault. 

Big Eck is a ****ing shite manager.

3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I think the thing we have lost that we were good at was the battling qualities. We were always wanting things more than the opposition up till about 10/15yrs ago.

With the mentality nowadays with international teams, they are all proud to wear the Jersey and fight for everything.

Other teams have caught up with us and even overtaken us in fight and spirit. We have still stayed behind with our technical ability though so have got a massive chasm of ability now.

Teams like Croatia are fine examples. Always have had bags of ability and flair, but when we used to play them we would try and bully them. Now they bully us but also play us off the park.

The fight and effort part is easy to replicate, the technical part will never be changed until we have a total overhaul of how we do things.

I doubt this will change in my lifetime, which kills me as I have spoken about this in depth to folk I work with!

3 of the starters were English.

Can't see them fighting for national pride.  Can you?

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Russia can actually play a bit and have a stronger side, just how it is. 

I thought it was a really poor Russian team. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Couldn't agree more, genuinely the teams in my sons age group are full of big hoofers, if the thick ***** running half the teams realised the little lads will by pass them in 5 or 6 years. 

We've actually had idiot parents complain that we are not playing our strongest team lol. 

Yeah and sadly  the wee guys with talent get lost to the game. Something like 75% of pro footballer are born in the first quarter of the year!! Because at 6/7 year ol d and extra year of life is massive physically, so they can’t hold the ball.. 

it’s so obvious..

hearts are just as bad at these age groups

1 minute ago, Coburg Hearts said:

You don't need a reason to put the boot into anything Hearts. 

I think you'll find that i just hate my team being absolutely shite while having all the resources to be up the top end of the table.

I also hate the loser mentality on here. 

8 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Russia can actually play a bit and have a stronger side, just how it is. 

They also have around 150 Million to choose from.

8 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Genuine question mate as I know you work in the game - how can we develop a "Scottish way" when all our players are so widespread and we lose players to English clubs e.g. Adam King and Marc Leonard (and that's just us!) at such a young age?

Sexton Hardcastle
7 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

We'd be as well just playing the younger players now to blood them for the next World Cup campaign but Clarke will hang his hat on a vague hope of qualifying via this stupid Nations League play-off thing and keep playing people like Mulgrew.

March vs Norway/Serbia/Finland. Got to get ready for that. Get the dross out and get some younger guys comfortable as a group. 

It wont happen. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see us sneak a win vs Belgium but then lose a crucial game in Cyprus . It’s too predictable.

19 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I know what you mean but probably a poor example. croatia have always had that robust fiery quality. Loved Boban for his industrious style for examle. Even stood up to police and got involved when they got heavy handed with the fans due to political leanings at the time.

Prosneski, Bilic, kovac, srna all pretty robust. Their 1998 squad was cracking so thats the last 20+ years covered

(JUst googled it, i'll give you that we have beat them twice in recent years. Forget that and suprised!)

Edited by Alan_R

portobellojambo1
9 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

The most surprising thing about tonight was Kris Boyd sounding like an excellent pundit.

His summary was actually quite good. Tonight Scotland did start brightly, and pinned them back for the first 20-25 minutes of the game, by running at them getting the ball wide and McGregor, McGinn and McTominay were all playing on the front foot. We scored and it looked as if the decision was it was game over, sat off them, all the offensive players suddenly looked horrific when forced into defensive roles and the game was lost. Sometimes, no in fact often, I think coaches over complicate things. It doesn't matter whether it is international, club or local Sunday league football. Every game is won in the same way, by scoring more goals than the opposition and the best way to lose is by just scoring and then adopting defensive tactics which don't suit your better, more attacking players. Let players do what they do best, don't try to restrict or even destroy them with tactics.

Edited by portobellojambo1

portobellojambo1
29 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Hairist?

Possibly, as someone who is as bald as a coot it isn't a subject I'm familiar with :)

chester copperpot
4 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Genuine question mate as I know you work in the game - how can we develop a "Scottish way" when all our players are so widespread and we lose players to English clubs e.g. Adam King and Marc Leonard (and that's just us!) at such a young age?

The thing is, the scottish way was always to harry and harass the opposition into making mistakes.

I honestly dont know the answer as if I did, I'd probably be more than a primary school development officer. 

There is something inherently wrong with our game though, as poorer countries (Croatia and Uruguay) for example, have similar populations but have a much higher success rate than we do.

The stuff I do is based around being better at moving and thinking, however I get so much resistance to it that I dont know if it will ever take off.

My boss who invented the concept (sorry, friday night and had a few beers watching the game so my description might be a bit poor) tried to sell his concept to the SFA many years ago. He was laughed out of Hampden despite him telling people that what we were doing in Scotland was 20/30 years behind the Germans and Dutch.

The stuff I do is a concept that we have worked with, with a German company called Life Kinetics. Klopp has used them which promotes harbouring a players executive functions which should not only help a player be better at decision making, but also make them smarter in the classroom if, god forbid, they dont make it as a footballer.

There is a wee guy in Scotland called Andy Dalziell who has worked with all the top clubs in Europe (he is now a doctorate) and he can do wonders with not only players but kids who have mobility issues. The boy is a genius but the SFA dont touch him. There are some parts of BMT (my area of expertise) that have been taken on at level 1 football coaching but no further.

It's a shame though as I feel we almost coach the creativity and quick thinking out of a player these days. Sorry, bit of a long winded answer but that's my thoughts. As I said though, I will never run a team of any note, so what the hell do I know. I'd most probably be worse than Cathro given a job as big as Hearts. 

chester copperpot
14 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I know what you mean but probably a poor example. croatia have always had that robust fiery quality. Loved Boban for his industrious style for examle. Even stood up to police and got involved when they got heavy handed with the fans due to political leanings at the time.

Prosneski, Bilic, kovac, srna all pretty robust. Their 1998 squad was cracking so thats the last 20+ years covered

(JUst googled it, i'll give you that we have beat them twice in recent years. Forget that and suprised!)

Mate, it was purely for an example, wasnt trying to point score. Apologies 

36 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

McBurnie scoring 22 goals in the Championship says more about how pish the Championship is, than how good McBurnie is.

Does it? Pukki, McGinn and Abraham all seem to be managing the step up to EPL.

Coburg Hearts
22 minutes ago, Sagan said:

I think you'll find that i just hate my team being absolutely shite while having all the resources to be up the top end of the table.

I also hate the loser mentality on here. 

You're no more a Hearts supporter than Green Ginger, how you've not been launched is beyond me. Anyway, I'm done with you and your nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Does it? Pukki, McGinn and Abraham all seem to be managing the step up to EPL.

So that's 2.

Surely that says more about their quality than the Championship?

They made the step up.

3 sorry.  Never seen McGinn

Edited by Lovecraft

2 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

You're no more a Hearts supporter than Green Ginger, how you've not been launched is beyond me. Anyway, I'm done with you and your nonsense.

:spoton:

Riddley Walker
32 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

3 of the starters were English.

Can't see them fighting for national pride.  Can you?

How is someone with a Scottish dad 'English'?

4 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Watch out!

His ‘new’ buddy is just desperate to back him up.  

The Tag Team.

Coburg Hearts
2 minutes ago, Homme said:

Realise this is probably my ignorance but I seen Cooper play tonight and I have absolutely no idea who the **** he is. 

I had to google him when I saw the team.

Coburg Hearts
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Watch out!

His ‘new’ buddy is just desperate to back him up.  

The Tag Team.

I await with interest. haha

We’re absolutely murder and without a complete overhaul from grassroots up there won’t be any change in that coming soon.

Time to move all the dead weight to the side and start picking kids, they’ll show more grit and determination than half these jokers.

Well, there goes another tournament !

You youngsters...you have my sympathy !

Watching Scotland qualify for 5 World Cups on the bounce, then a Euro.....stuff of fantasy now eh !

It was great. Sorry !

7 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

How is someone with a Scottish dad 'English'?

Eh, because they were born in England and brought up in England.

It's actually quite a simple concept.

Ricardo Shillyshally

For those of you wanting an comp!rte overhaul of coaching, do you remember Ernie's Think Tank? Must by 30  years ago now

55 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

McBurnie scoring 22 goals in the Championship says more about how pish the Championship is, than how good McBurnie is.

Yes because he had plenty of assistance all night right enough hoof hoof hoof.  People actually think a Souttar is good enough also? I would rather have Haulket.  Russia are a top nation.

People fall over themselves to say they aren’t interested in the the national team, Naismith should bolt from the squad etc but have plenty to say on the topic when they lose.  Did the people not interested not sit and watch Holland pump Germany instead or the egg chasing? 

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Well, there goes another tournament !

You youngsters...you have my sympathy !

Watching Scotland qualify for 5 World Cups on the bounce, then a Euro.....stuff of fantasy now eh !

It was great. Sorry !

Not so fast Boab. Remember UEFA have given us an extra route to failure through the Nations League. 

2 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

For those of you wanting an comp!rte overhaul of coaching, do you remember Ernie's Think Tank? Must by 30  years ago now

Just when things started to slip !

Mmmmm...!

6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Eh, because they were born in England and brought up in England.

It's actually quite a simple concept.

Unless your name is Aiden McGeady or that ginger wank who played for Hamilton. 

Just now, Smack said:

Not so fast Boab. Remember UEFA have given us an extra route to failure through the Nations League. 

They will want us to qualify too which hopefully ensures dodgy refs and a home final. 

Just now, Smack said:

Ah, you’re right.

Forgot about that angle.

Back on the horse !

Scotland mean not a lot anymore to me which is hard to say. 

In the seventies and eighties couldn't wait for the internationals. 

Didn't even watch the second half tonight. 

Hampden is a soulless place whereas even good teams used to fear going there. 

3 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Yes because he had plenty of assistance all night right enough hoof hoof hoof.  People actually think a Souttar is good enough also? I would rather have Haulket.  Russia are a top nation.

People fall over themselves to say they aren’t interested in the the national team, Naismith should bolt from the squad etc but have plenty to say on the topic when they lose.  Did the people not interested not sit and watch Holland pump Germany instead or the egg chasing? 

He never had support, but he still looks pish for Scotland.

For Scotland.

I'm guessing (Hoping) Naismith will get his 50th cap then leave.

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

He never had support, but he still looks pish for Scotland.

For Scotland.

I'm guessing (Hoping) Naismith will get his 50th cap then leave.

Games build confidence, he didn’t fit into the hoof way of thinking and Russia had him for toast.

Same, he won’t though, I think Scotland is a high priority of Naismith.