Scotland v Russia

FWJ

Heading down the road in an hour or so. (Very early but going to spend a day in the Weeg, see what all the fuss is about....).

Quietly hopeful.

Anyone else going?

Edit:  Sorry if there’s another thread, didn’t see one.

Edited by FWJ

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagan

• Lovecraft

• gashauskis9

• FruitJuice

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

driving down tonight with the kids, must win game so hopefully we can do the business.

Have booked to go to Russia in October so hopefully our campaign is still alive at that point !!!!!!

Yup on way to Glesga just now!

Unfortunately to work 8 hours rather than straigh to Iron Horse like my youth!

Duno about tonight. We're capable I'm sure of that. Manager needs to have some belief in the boys and get his selection right. McTominay must play. Especially if McGinn plays which he will and probably should.

We’ve actually got some good options in midfield now.  All those players are playing first team football at a decent level.  The defence scares the shite out of me and I can’t see where our goals are coming from.  Counter attack will be key and I think Forrest and Fraser could be vital to our success.  I think we might sneak it.

Keeper (who is it these days?)

O Donnell

Cooper

Mulgrew

Robertson

McTominay

McGregor

Forrest

McGinn

Fraser

McBurnie

Christie, Snodgrass and Russell off the bench

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Feeling confident about tonight.

Russia aren't any great shakes. (I wouldn't read much into their WC form, as hosts)

Our defence worries me but we should have enough.

That big laddie up front for them Dzuyba ?

Will smash lumps out of our snowflake defence. 

Cheryshev up against O’Donnell, floating in side onto that wand of a left peg.

Having nightmares about it already! 

We_are_the_Hearts
2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

That big laddie up front for them Dzuyba ?

Will smash lumps out of our snowflake defence. 

Cheryshev up against O’Donnell, floating in side onto that wand of a left peg.

Having nightmares about it already! 

If he is floating inside onto his left peg then he will be on the right and up against Robertson

13 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

If he is floating inside onto his left peg then he will be on the right and up against Robertson

How so? You can still kick with your left coming in off the right. 🙄

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

How so? You can still kick with your left coming in off the right. 🙄

Eh? if he is coming in off the right then he will be on the right wing and therefore up against Robertson.

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

We’ve actually got some good options in midfield now.  All those players are playing first team football at a decent level.  The defence scares the shite out of me and I can’t see where our goals are coming from.  Counter attack will be key and I think Forrest and Fraser could be vital to our success.  I think we might sneak it.

O Donnell

Cooper

Mulgrew

Robertson

McTominay

McGregor

Forrest

McGinn

Fraser

McBurnie

Wasn't too excited when the squad was announced but i like the look of this team.  I would maybe find a place for Christie but other than that this looks decent.  MON

26 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Eh? if he is coming in off the right then he will be on the right wing and therefore up against Robertson.

Not necessarily. 

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

So, Max Branning (aka SN) definitely out then?  I didn’t see him in the group training clip on the news last night.

That's because he didn't train at all yesterday as Clarke confirmed. 

I feel as I always do when there is a gap in Scotland games. Positive and excited. I will be disappointed and annoyed at myself for bothering by 7.55pm. But fingers crossed. I'd go with the below.

Marshall

O Donnell

Cooper

Anyone but Mulgrew (but accept he's probably the best option)

Robertson

McGinn

McGregor

Forrest

Christie

Fraser

McBurnie

3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

O Donnell

Cooper

Mulgrew

Robertson

McTominay

McGregor

Forrest

McGinn

Fraser

McBurnie

This is the team I hope/expect to see tonight. I fancy our chances tonight, I have a good feeling about Steve Clarke

Sexton Hardcastle

1-0 win. Anything other and it’s all eyes on the playoff format.

Look forward to the usual goons claiming they don’t like Scotland and won’t watch the ‘tartan trannies’.

Oddballs.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

1-0 win. Anything other and it’s all eyes on the playoff format.

Look forward to the usual goons claiming they don’t like Scotland and won’t watch the ‘tartan trannies’.

Oddballs.

Ok, I'll bite, count me in, a lot of apathy towards Scotland, and not a lot to shake that to be honest. Hampden doesn't help either, its not a great watch on TV even 2/3 full, and its not the easiest place to get to.

Hopefully Clarke can spark the team and the collective imagination, but until he does, there will be plenty more looking to disassociate themselves with over 20 years of failure

Sexton Hardcastle
22 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Ok, I'll bite, count me in, a lot of apathy towards Scotland, and not a lot to shake that to be honest. Hampden doesn't help either, its not a great watch on TV even 2/3 full, and its not the easiest place to get to.

Hopefully Clarke can spark the team and the collective imagination, but until he does, there will be plenty more looking to disassociate themselves with over 20 years of failure

But to actively hate your national team? Weird.

All these rangers sympathisers will be back the moment we qualify which could be next spring. Usual bandwagon fans.

I’d go,

Marshall 

o’Donnell Mulgrew Cooper Robertson 

McTominay McGinn

Forrest              Christie               Fraser

McBurnie

Miss the internationals but canny bring myself to embrace this “week of football” nonsense. It’s time the associations, especially ours, told UEFA its our home game and we want an advantage. Saturday 3pm sellouts are sadly a thing of the past, but I have many great memories and hope we qualify for something soon for the loyal troops that continue to attend Hampden.

Can’t see us keeping a clean sheet tonight so could be alien tactics for Clarke to implement in this one. He’s no a manager to chase goals, is he?

Not even reached the halfway stage in the group and already facing a 'must-win' match. Sadly, I can't see Scotland winning this match - in fact I'll be surprised if we manage a goal. Head says one or two nil for Russia

Russia (h)

Belgium (h)

Russia (a)

San Marino (h)

Cyprus (a)

Kazakhstan (h)

Max 9pts from that for me. 

If Kazakhstan take 9pts from Cyprus (h & a) and San Marino, we won’t even be third.

Get all our eggs in the daft playoff basket.

6 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Russia (h)

Belgium (h)

Russia (a)

San Marino (h)

Cyprus (a)

Kazakhstan (h)

Max 9pts from that for me. 

If Kazakhstan take 9pts from Cyprus (h & a) and San Marino, we won’t even be third.

Get all our eggs in the daft playoff basket.

Wont shock any of us if its less

11 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Wont shock any of us if its less

Absolutely. I can’t see us winning in Cyprus! 

Scotland is the polar opposite of Hearts for me right now in that I think we (as in Scotland, obviously) probably have the right manager now but I have zero faith in the ability of our players. With Hearts...well, there’s plenty threads on that one!

1 minute ago, Shaggy2 said:

Absolutely. I can’t see us winning in Cyprus! 

Scotland is the polar opposite of Hearts for me right now in that I think we (as in Scotland, obviously) probably have the right manager now but I have zero faith in the ability of our players. With Hearts...well, there’s plenty threads on that one!

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’d go,

Marshall 

o’Donnell Mulgrew Cooper Robertson 

McTominay McGinn

Forrest              Christie               Fraser

McBurnie

That's what I'd pick.  

Actually quite confident we can get a result.  Russia are never great travelers and it's a pretty ordinary squad they have anyway

7 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

That's what I'd pick.  

Actually quite confident we can get a result.  Russia are never great travelers and it's a pretty ordinary squad they have anyway

I’m not confident. Yeah, they aren’t world beaters but they have some great individuals and if they play well as a team tonight, they’ll be too good for us.

That big boy Dzuyba is going to cause us a whole host of problems. He’s not just massive, he’s quick and an absolute work horse, Cooper & Mulgrew aren’t the biggest.

It’s going to be really tough. 

Captain Sausage

Absolute must win game. 

We do not do well in must win games so I’m going to go for a heart breaking draw. 

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

More importantly.  Where should I aim to park? First time driving to Hampden.

There's a lad from the Lanarkshire area who has probably asked the question enough to be an expert on that. I'd probably say get down early, park in the asda and patch the unenforceable fine that comes your way. Enjoy the game! (If you can)

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 hours ago, farin said:

Like the retro themed prog for it. 

4BD70FE3-1C70-4253-9747-A293EE748B8E.thumb.jpeg.8fdfc32d5d9a213ce72ac173dd4f9cf9.jpeg

Hopefully it isn't Scotland with the red faces at the end 😕

portobellojambo1
8 minutes ago, Sagan said:

This on the tv?

Yes, as is Wales versus Azerbaijan and Holland versus Germany, all at the same starting time.

16 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Yes, as is Wales versus Azerbaijan and Holland versus Germany, all at the same starting time.

Cheers, 

Sky Sports Football 

portobellojambo1
Just now, Sagan said:

Cheers, 

Sky Sports Football 

Yip, all three are on different Sky channels at the same time. The game in Holland looks the most appealing of the three.