Gary Mackay latest....

Clerry Jambo

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/gary-mackay-i-don-t-want-anybody-to-lose-their-job-but-i-am-worried-about-hearts-future-1-4996754

Gary Mackay: I don’t want anybody to lose their job but I am worried about Hearts’ future

Gary Mackay
5-6 minutes

Hamilton's George Oakley scored a double in Saturday's 2-2 draw at Tynecastle, which leaves Hearts joint-bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership after four matches. Some fans have lost patience with management and are demanding that Craig Levein is sacked. Pic: SNS

Hamilton's George Oakley scored a double in Saturday's 2-2 draw at Tynecastle, which leaves Hearts joint-bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership after four matches. Some fans have lost patience with management and are demanding that Craig Levein is sacked. Pic: SNS  

If somebody is not meeting targets, then any football club has to look at an option that is going to improve the situation.

Hearts have wonderful facilities, a wonderful infrastructure, a wonderful ambassador in Gary Locke and we are perceived well by others because of what Foundation of Hearts have done. All these things become pointless if the product on the pitch isn’t bringing results.

I thought Saturday would have kickstarted our season. It didn’t. Hamilton could have beaten Hearts, just as Ross County could have. It would have been scary to see the reaction had that happened. The headline which came out of the weekend was: “I can fix it.” Now, if you’re a football man as Craig Levein is, then you look at the squad and naturally think we can do better. For me, it’s how much better. What are the margins of improvement? We need to make sure Tynecastle is a place that the Ross Countys and Hamiltons are fearful of.

Talk of fixing things goes back to the 5-0 loss at Livingston last year. A club like Hearts should not be suffering results like that. We do seem to get oursleves up for the cup games, and credit to the management and players for that, but some of the results we’ve had during this period have been nothing short of embarrassing.

Gary Locke was removed when this regime came in because the present football department didn’t want him in place. Robbie Neilson was brought in and did well. We then had Ian Cathro, who was a complete failure. At this moment in time, aside from the cup competitions, our league form has been nothing short of abysmal.

No disrespect but there isn’t a football person on the Hearts board, aside from Craig Levein. So the only people who could ask the questions are the ones in those positions. The director of football should ask why the manager isn’t getting more out of the players we have. But they are both the same person. That is an absurd situation.

That’s what happens when you put someone in a position of huge power. I don’t know if any manager in Scottish football history has the power over a football department that Craig Levein has at Hearts. Maybe he will look for an escape strategy and bring somebody else in as manager but we can’t have this just going round and round all the time like a hamster in a wheel.

Ultimately, people are now questioning Ann Budge. The last two managers were appointed by her and Craig but their league results have been well below Hearts’ expectations. I don’t like Craig Levein, however nobody wants to see anybody lose their job, like or dislike the person. I’m not fussy about how good a player Craig was for Hearts or how well he has done for the academy. I’m worried about the long-term future of Heart of Midlothian Football Club - a club supporters have been fighting in various forms to save for the last 15 years.

The Hearts squad is significantly stronger after summer business

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• Beast Boy

• Spellczech

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/gary-mackay-i-don-t-want-anybody-to-lose-their-job-but-i-am-worried-about-hearts-future-1-4996754

Gary Mackay: I don’t want anybody to lose their job but I am worried about Hearts’ future

Gary Mackay
5-6 minutes

If somebody is not meeting targets, then any football club has to look at an option that is going to improve the situation.

Hearts have wonderful facilities, a wonderful infrastructure, a wonderful ambassador in Gary Locke and we are perceived well by others because of what Foundation of Hearts have done. All these things become pointless if the product on the pitch isn’t bringing results.

I thought Saturday would have kickstarted our season. It didn’t. Hamilton could have beaten Hearts, just as Ross County could have. It would have been scary to see the reaction had that happened. The headline which came out of the weekend was: “I can fix it.” Now, if you’re a football man as Craig Levein is, then you look at the squad and naturally think we can do better. For me, it’s how much better. What are the margins of improvement? We need to make sure Tynecastle is a place that the Ross Countys and Hamiltons are fearful of.

Talk of fixing things goes back to the 5-0 loss at Livingston last year. A club like Hearts should not be suffering results like that. We do seem to get oursleves up for the cup games, and credit to the management and players for that, but some of the results we’ve had during this period have been nothing short of embarrassing.

Gary Locke was removed when this regime came in because the present football department didn’t want him in place. Robbie Neilson was brought in and did well. We then had Ian Cathro, who was a complete failure. At this moment in time, aside from the cup competitions, our league form has been nothing short of abysmal.

No disrespect but there isn’t a football person on the Hearts board, aside from Craig Levein. So the only people who could ask the questions are the ones in those positions. The director of football should ask why the manager isn’t getting more out of the players we have. But they are both the same person. That is an absurd situation.

That’s what happens when you put someone in a position of huge power. I don’t know if any manager in Scottish football history has the power over a football department that Craig Levein has at Hearts. Maybe he will look for an escape strategy and bring somebody else in as manager but we can’t have this just going round and round all the time like a hamster in a wheel.

Ultimately, people are now questioning Ann Budge. The last two managers were appointed by her and Craig but their league results have been well below Hearts’ expectations. I don’t like Craig Levein, however nobody wants to see anybody lose their job, like or dislike the person. I’m not fussy about how good a player Craig was for Hearts or how well he has done for the academy. I’m worried about the long-term future of Heart of Midlothian Football Club - a club supporters have been fighting in various forms to save for the last 15 years.

The Hearts squad is significantly stronger after summer business

Really?😄

Maroon Sailor

Something has to give

Said before Levein is answerable to nobody but himself

That can't be right

He has more power at the club than anyone

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not a terrible article but our long term future isn’t in danger. Only our short term form

Yeh I think he’s way off the mark with the long term future comment, but as for the rest of it!! Spot on.

1 minute ago, TheStig said:

Anyone tell me why Mackay and Levein have beef? Does it go back to when they played together?

Thick people rarely get on well with intelligent people.

As much as I want Craig to go, I like the guy and every time someone like Mackay or Stewart revel in their dislike for him it frustrates me even more to find myself agreeing with them.

If only he'd been a success and stuck it right up the pair of them...sadly they've probably been right all along

Bazzas right boot

Now he feels safe, he Comes out with "I don't like Craig Levein". 

Our form is a worry, that is obvious, our future direction is now a big question to be answered. 

The future of the club is great tho. 

A bit dramatic and personal, Gary is playing to the jkb rules. 

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Thick people rarely get on well with intelligent people.

Think what you want about our manager but he’s not thick ffs!!!

1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

Yeh I think he’s way off the mark with the long term future comment, but as for the rest of it!! Spot on.

He has not expanded on how he thinks the long term may be affected but would have probably run out of words in his column space.

OK we have a very good revenue stream at the moment but if, perish the thought, we get relegated at the end of this season and the present regime stay in place for another year or two after FoH have the majority shareholding.

Where will we be and in what sort of health then?    

1 minute ago, 7628mm said:

He has not expanded on how he thinks the long term may be affected but would have probably run out of words in his column space.

OK we have a very good revenue stream at the moment but if, perish the thought, we get relegated at the end of this season and the present regime stay in place for another year or two after FoH have the majority shareholding.

Where will we be and in what sort of health then?    

As much as I want Levein our and a new man in I’d be pretty confident of staying up if perish  the though Levein stayed in charge.

i know people in the past have said their team is too big to go down!!

i honestly believe we are and with our squad I’d be amazed if we were relegated.

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

As much as I want Craig to go, I like the guy and every time someone like Mackay or Stewart revel in their dislike for him it frustrates me even more to find myself agreeing with them.

If only he'd been a success and stuck it right up the pair of them...sadly they've probably been right all along

Pretty much sums up my feelings too

Another in-depth piece. He could save us all 30 seconds or so and just print an article that reads 'Hearts are shite the now and i blame Levein' and it would mean just as much as whatever he's slavering about there.

5 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Another in-depth piece. He could save us all 30 seconds or so and just print an article that reads 'Hearts are shite the now and i blame Levein' and it would mean just as much as whatever he's slavering about there.

Thanks for that mate.

Saves me reading it.

Says plenty without really saying anything.

Our long term future has never looked healthier so not too sure what he's talking about with that one.

21 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Anyone tell me why Mackay and Levein have beef? Does it go back to when they played together?

There was a story that for Dens in 86 Mackay wasnt happy with Levein for saying he was too sick to play. Not sure if there was any truth behind it thou.

GorgieRules22
1 minute ago, jambo1975 said:

There was a story that for Dens in 86 Mackay wasnt happy with Levein for saying he was too sick to play. Not sure if there was any truth behind it thou.

The amount of times we shit the bed in Glasgow he might have had a point.

12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Is Gary's son still in jail?

Were you at Ibrox at weekend and shouting at Scott Brown after the game?

Fort Vallance

Gary Mackay is a Hearts fan. He's no different from the rest of us apart from the fact he has a platform. Sometimes he's right, sometimes its bollocks. But it's always from the heart. On this occasion I can't argue with any of it.

Excellent stuff from Gary. 

He doesn't like Levein, we all know that, but there's no agenda there. Not a vestige. Just a good Hearts man who wants better for our club and who can see, like many, that Levein's vision for the present and future is a horror show. 

Well said that man. 

siegementality
12 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Says plenty without really saying anything.

Our long term future has never looked healthier so not too sure what he's talking about with that one.

If our short term future continues the way it is it will obviously affect our long term future. 

18 minutes ago, jambo1975 said:

I believe that to be bollocks, but it did start when they were in the team together. I know MacKay a bit from back in the SoH days and from what I hear about CL and witness I think they’re both to stubborn to bury the hatchet over what ever kicked it off.

As for the article let’s be honest it’s just a summary of JKB. My worry is the more stuff that comes from CLs haters Stewart MacKay etc will make him even more determined to prove them wrong and stay here until such times as the season is a complete write off!

Mackay and levein are both legends as players but there is bad blood between them. Hugh burns regularly on radio saying levein team mates respected him as a player but hated his guts. 

3 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Absolutely nothing. Just an attempt to discredit Mackay.

It’s a bit like asking is Levein still a womaniser, gambling addict and a shit manager.

A post that can't be allowed to pass without one of these:

:lol:

Anybody that says hearts long or medium term future is in jeopardy needs a swift kick in the happy sack. The infrastructure is in place to deliver long term growth BUT there needs to be a fundamental change in the first team football department. That’s what keeps the money rolling in when the fans are happy. And by ****ing Christ we are not. 

Things of note in the article.

Mentions what a wonderful person Gary Locke is on more than one occasion and that the current management basically got rid of him.

(clearly thinks he was the right man for the job or should have been allowed more time.)

States that the current management should be replaced twice in the article.

(forgets about our injury woes last season and following through to this season)

Great Academy and infrastructure yet concerned about the future.

(Takes time to reap the rewards and we seem to have a couple of starlets each season, although it could be argued no one has yet took the bull by the horns.)

Then finally trying to get people to agree with him in the last sentence.

(criticism sure, but offer a semblance of thought into what you would like to see happen.)

He is hurting as any Hearts man is, but this seems a dig, after probably reading what he thought would be acceptable to print from here.

He's worried about the future of Heart of Midlothian Football Club? A wee bit over dramatic don't you think?

We're gash, fair enough, but the football club is as healthy as it has ever been.

If he said he was worried about the future of the football department, then I'd agree with him 100%.

The first team needs some fresh ideas and a wee bit of a lift because it all seems very flat at the minute.

siegementality
1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

Anybody that says hearts long or medium term future is in jeopardy needs a swift kick in the happy sack. The infrastructure is in place to deliver long term growth BUT there needs to be a fundamental change in the first team football department. That’s what keeps the money rolling in when the fans are happy. And by ****ing Christ we are not. 

So the medium/long term future could be affected if there isn’t a fundamental change in the first team football department and the same level/increased level of money doesn’t roll in?

54 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not a terrible article but our long term future isn’t in danger. Only our short term form

Short term - we haven’t won in 11 League games!!

siegementality
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Is he? Not too good a look for him either.

Shame how far they've both fallen. 

Now you have something else that you might need you memory jogged on in the future 😉

11 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Absolutely nothing. Just an attempt to discredit Mackay.

It’s a bit like asking is Levein still a womaniser, gambling addict and a shit manager.

Plenty know that answer to your second sentence. 😏

2 minutes ago, siegementality said:

So the medium/long term future could be affected if there isn’t a fundamental change in the first team football department and the same level/increased level of money doesn’t roll in?

Thats what I insinuated yes. 

siegementality
Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

Plenty know that answer to your second sentence. 😏

And 92% know the answer to the shit manager part!

siegementality
3 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Thats what I insinuated yes. 

So no-one will be getting a swift kick in the happy sack then. 

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

They're both heavy drinkers? Gary especially, I believe? His divorce can't have helped, of course. 

Anyway...Levein out.👍🏻

Kyle Lafferty getting help for his big problem in life from Hearts management team. 

Oooft the irony. 😂😂

siegementality
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

They're both heavy drinkers? Gary especially, I believe? His divorce can't have helped, of course. 

Anyway...Levein out.👍🏻

It seems you remember more about Mackay’s personal life than Levein’s. Your memory must have ended up going for a run rather than just a jog 🏃‍♂️ 

Can’t argue with the “has too much power” bit to be honest. Pretty much has to resign or sack himself by the looks of it. Not a fan of Gary’s column in general but not much in this to take issue with, apart from the long term future bit

24 minutes ago, Barack said:

Just asking a question. :lol: Relax. Just jogged my memory was all. 

Aye right, making a smart comment. It’s you that come across as a pr**k doing that, but up to you I guess 

Another statement like the one from Naismith which just states the bleeding obvious.

It's the board which can act and it's the Board we need to hear from.

• davemclaren locked this topic