Arguments for and against keeping Levein on as D.o.F.

Gambo

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• The Treasurer

• AJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

He’s done **** all down there that he couldn’t have done up here, and ultimately he’ll struggle to get the game time he needs to kick on. Much like McGhee and King, he’s trying to pretend reserve and junior football down south is comparable to top flight up here. That aim afraid is total pish, and when he heads back up the road in a few seasons, there’ll be nowhere else to hide from that reality. Terrible move by the kid. Shame.

Fair enough. 

You obviously have a crystal ball telling you he is going to fail down there. 

I know one of the youth players and I can tell you Leonard is not the only one to have that opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Fair enough. 

I know one of the youth players and I can tell you Leonard is not the only one to have that opinion. 

But he’s right. If Leonard has stayed he would probably be in the first team and playing at a much higher level than where he is now. 

Clubs like Brighton hoover up these kids by the dozen, and then spit them out when they have served their purpose as squad filler. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

But he’s right. If Leonard has stayed he would probably be in the first team and playing at a much higher level than where he is now. 

Clubs like Brighton hoover up these kids by the dozen, and then spit them out when they have served their purpose as squad filler. 

“Clubs like Brighton.”

They are a superb club and a model of true progression.

11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

“Clubs like Brighton.”

Clubs like Brighton that have huge wealth and hoover up kids to fill their squads. 

And what does a “model of true progression” actually mean??

1 hour ago, 7628mm said:

This is in todays Evening news and seems to suggest that we do not play the same type of football from top to bottom as we were told the new philosophy was to do exactly that. Apologies if the formatting and fonts have gone haywire.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-style-didn-t-suit-me-marc-leonard-lifts-lid-on-tynecastle-exit-1-4997419?fbclid=IwAR1MBMk93eVZSvCNEfD37lu5nmAC950TzlPgyFgasi4IXUgVHxOSFfk7H8Q

Former Hearts youth player Marc Leonard has revealed he wanted out of Riccarton because of the style of play.

The 17-year-old midfielder left for Brighton and Hove Albion last year, less than 12 months after signing his first professional contract with Hearts.

Manager Craig Levein admitted he did not agree with the decision but Leonard has explained his reasons after earning his first Scotland Under-19 call-up.

"I really liked Craig Levein. He was director of football and was fantastic with all of us. We all respected him," said Leonard. "As soon as I made the step up it was more about results and the style of play changed. I'm not sure the style suited me.

"As a midfielder, it wasn't what I wanted my game based around. I just didn't feel I was involved as much as I could have been within that style of play at Hearts.

"The level at Brighton is also so much higher in every age-group. Coming down, I had to improve on my physical attributes and I had to catch up with the guys who had always done it.

"It took a while to settle into the new environment and routine, but now I feel in the best place I could be. I'm bigger, stronger and faster, so it's all coming together now."

Leonard is living away from home but his father and grandfather regularly make the gruelling 18-hour round trip to England's south coast to see him play

"After leaving Hearts I had six months staying at home waking up to mum and dad. Then I was down there," he told The Sun. "You'd be doing what you love but little things like walking past your family and so on were no longer there. Now I have fitted in here and the club is so friendly.

"It's about becoming a better human as well as a better footballer. Dad does the nine-hour drive to Brighton with my Papa. They'll stay the night then head back. Dad goes everywhere to watch me.

"I'm really grateful. It helps seeing your family on the sidelines and gives you a boost."

Scotland Under-19s are heading to Spain to play two friendlies against Japan. "I was buzzing when I got the call-up. I just can't wait for the games," said Leonard.

Recall that there was a rumour going about his dad was apparently really unhappy with him not getting into the first team alongside Cochrane and McDonald. There was a never ending thread on it? But sure Marc, blame Levein. Tbh, I think the club should defend itself. At the end of the day, if we're trying to be youthcentric and a former academy player is publicly slating our DOF and his vision, I don't think that should go unanswered. The entire youth set up is modelled on Leveins ideals. Its a core foundation to the clubs future. 

Will concede that the physicality point he mentions is worrying. Its the one area of football we can actually compete with ANY club in the world on because you don't need to be real madrid to follow a PT's advice. It really pisses me off that Levein isn't laying down the law with the youngsters on diet and their physical development. It seems to the one constant when we compare ourselves to clubs down south. To me, its basic professionalism. You're a professional athlete, eat right and exercise. Keeping yourself in the best possible condition is how you get your move and succeed. Look at Paterson!!

Really pisses me off.   

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Clubs like Brighton that have huge wealth and hoover up kids to fill their squads. 

And what does a “model of true progression” actually mean??

Are you kidding me? They had no proper ground 10 years ago. They were floating in the lower leagues 10 years ago. They’ve built themselves up to have a quality stadium, state of the art training ground, Premier League football and a proper plan.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Are you kidding me? They had no proper ground 10 years ago. They were floating in the lower leagues 10 years ago. They’ve built themselves up to have a quality stadium, state of the art training ground, Premier League football and a proper plan.

Ah right, I don’t know if that is progressive, rather than just a great story. 

I just assumed you meant off the field initiatives etc

43 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

He’s a good DoF imo. I want him to stay and finish his work.

In what way is he a good DoF ?

Finish his work ?

Craig Levein is not bigger than the club.

Do you know what's the biggest concern for me?

Usually, If the club were acting, someone itk on here would have something to share. 

" Heard from someone inside Tynie that Levein is looking at bringing someone in so he can go back upstairs" 

"Budge has said that he has til x date to start getting results" 

But there's, to my knowledge, literally nothing. 

I know it's a rather high school esque post, and I may have missed some info shared on here, but to me, there's literally no acknowledgement from the club other than levein saying we're working on defending. 

What about the injuries, let's investigate that? 

The lack of fitness? 

Why aren't the players gelling together? 

The renewed goalkeeper situation? 

The lack of effin goals? 

I was a defender of Levein for so long but we need answers! 

All IMO of course. 

SomethingAboutObua
3 minutes ago, Blacky87 said:

Usually, If the club were acting, someone itk on here would have something to share. 

" Heard from someone inside Tynie that Levein is looking at bringing someone in so he can go back upstairs" 

I know it's a rather high school esque post, and I may have missed some info shared on here, but to me, there's literally no acknowledgement from the club other than levein saying we're working on defending. 

The lack of fitness? 

The lack of effin goals? 

All IMO of course. 

Agree, where were folk getting that he’d resigned after the Accies match from? Flurry of that stuff and now silent on anything coming out from Tynecastle rumours or serious. 

Only stuff I’ve seen is people reminding others he’s reviewed every 4 weeks by Budge, and I’ve not seen anything further on what she’s had to say about the recent on-field results. 

Edited by SomethingAboutObua

1 minute ago, Blacky87 said:

The lack of fitness? 

The lack of effin goals? 

All IMO of course. 

We?

Why not go to Riccarton and ask all the question's above instead of here. Pure frying My brain.

42 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Fair enough. 

Sound. I particularly liked the part where he said he wasn’t capable of building up his physical strength at Oriam, but can down there. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

We?

Why not go to Riccarton and ask all the question's above instead of here. Pure frying My brain.

Cause I'm in Poland mate... 

51 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

He’s done **** all down there that he couldn’t have done up here, and ultimately he’ll struggle to get the game time he needs to kick on. Much like McGhee and King, he’s trying to pretend reserve and junior football down south is comparable to top flight up here. That aim afraid is total pish, and when he heads back up the road in a few seasons, there’ll be nowhere else to hide from that reality. Terrible move by the kid. Shame.

What terrible about the move ?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
19 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Ah right, I don’t know if that is progressive, rather than just a great story. 

I just assumed you meant off the field initiatives etc

No tbf to them they have planned and worked for all of it. They’re probably as good a model of how to run a club as anyone. Although their owner Tony Bloom (lifelong fan) is loaded, which helps :lol:

1 hour ago, AJAMBO said:

Craig isn't going anywhere as he has work to Finnish. This is his time to show he has the know how to place the current squad on a higher level in  the SPL. A lot of work has been put into the foundations towards building the  squad this season he intends to see it through. Whether you are for or against his tenure he is staying. I'm not sure how it's going to pan out can only hope the side overcomes issues and get points.

I would like him to retire now but he wont till next summer when he becomes chairman of the club. 

Welcome back how was wee rest?

1 minute ago, 7628mm said:

2 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

Was torture first 24 hrs. Thanks for asking

Guest ToqueJambo
46 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

“Clubs like Brighton.”

😂 Just shows what you can do with £107,712,470 (ONE season's TV and league placement money, not even including ticket revenue, merchandise, etc)

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

😂 Just shows what you can do with £107,712,470 (ONE season's TV and league placement money, not even including ticket revenue, merchandise, etc)

No seriously, dig a bit harder than that

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

No seriously, dig a bit harder than that

Not sure I follow. Imagine what we could do with that money.

2 minutes ago, Blacky87 said:

Unfortunately I'm rather useless with a paintbrush,... But I'll try! 

I was a bit rude to you so I take it back. What I ll say on your questions is Hearts are working hard to resolve issues within the training grounds. The dedication of the staff within treatment therapy and rehabilitation is to be recommended they are up to their necks in wounded and recovering players. The leaders in the squad are putting in the graft at as high a standard as possible some are below target of fitness others are working on a different defence in between injuries. There are positives is Washington Whelan Naismith Hickey and Ryo who are excellent trainers. Ryo is very different from how i had imagined he has tremendous drive and possesses a tonne of goodies in his magic box a wizard can put the dangerous balls into the center of the box just perfect on the right foot in swinger. Our goals will come as they are also now able to put 2 up top with Meshino on board. I hope that helps a little

Captain Canada

Arguments for keeping him as DoF:

He knows the club

He has a good relationship with Budge 

Arguments against: 

Hired Cathro

Has overseen the signing of some awful players 

No decent manager will work under him and with his choice of coaching staff

Keeps saying better times are coming 

Takes a lot of credit for the academy when others are running it 

We've gone backwards football-wise since he let Neilson go 

We need a clean break and a fresh perspective right across the club. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not sure I follow. Imagine what we could do with that money.

They were nowhere a decade ago. They didn’t get PL money by chance.

4 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

I was a bit rude to you so I take it back. What I ll say on your questions is Hearts are working hard to resolve issues within the training grounds. The dedication of the staff within treatment therapy and rehabilitation is to be recommended they are up to their necks in wounded and recovering players. The leaders in the squad are putting in the graft at as high a standard as possible some are below target of fitness others are working on a different defence in between injuries. There are positives is Washington Whelan Naismith Hickey and Ryo who are excellent trainers. Ryo is very different from how i had imagined he has tremendous drive and possesses a tonne of goodies in his magic box a wizard can put the dangerous balls into the center of the box just perfect on the right foot in swinger. Our goals will come as they are also now able to put 2 up top with Meshino on board. I hope that helps a little

Is that meshino position as part of a front 2? Looking forward to seeing him more up to speed with training and integrated

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They were nowhere a decade ago. They didn’t get PL money by chance.

What exactly was progressive about how they got there? It's a classic story of rich person takes over English club and gambles on getting access to PL riches.

Taking into account fan ownership and our approach to the community and women's football, and even our approach to the coaching set-up (at least on paper) Hearts is a much more progressive club.

Two clubs I admire in England are Southamption for their focus on developing youth while still being quite competitive and Bournemouth for putting their faith in a local lad turned good as manager, even though he failed elsewhere.

But let's not pretend that the Championship and even League One these days isn't just a bunch of clubs gambling on reaching that pot of gold.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Is that meshino position as part of a front 2? Looking forward to seeing him more up to speed with training and integrated

Yes he was seen as a penalty box artist he is such a devil with and without the ball. As we miss Walker Ryo will play industrial mortare and bricks hes going to be tough to get close to he is very small but can easily handle most thugs in the Uk and pick their pockets. Hearts 4-2-3-1 6 of them are defensive so its a 6-2-2

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

What exactly was progressive about how they got there? It's a classic story of rich person takes over English club and gambles on getting access to PL riches.

Taking into account fan ownership and our approach to the community and women's football, and even our approach to the coaching set-up (at least on paper) Hearts is a much more progressive club.

Two clubs I admire in England are Southamption for their focus on developing youth while still being quite competitive and Bournemouth for putting their faith in a local lad turned good as manager, even though he failed elsewhere.

But let's not pretend that the Championship and even League One these days isn't just a bunch of clubs gambling on reaching that pot of gold.

Where did Eddie Howe fail?

oh, and Bournemouth have spent a mint since the Russian bought in.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Where did Eddie Howe fail?

oh, and Bournemouth have spent a mint since the Russian bought in.

He left and went back. Yeah I know but it's more the fact they've stuck with Howe I like rather than anything about the way they've been financed. That is very progressive by English standards. Managers don't last long down there.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Holyrood_Hearts

If he kept his role at a Director I wouldn’t mind that, but in terms of the football side he shouldn’t be DoF or manager. 

29 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

Trust me deep down I want Levein to prove everyone on here wrong, but a part of me now feels the support has turned and he'll just not get an easy time. 

I caught the last few years of his playing career as a child, loved him first time round as manager and was so happy when Budge and Levein came in to sort us right out. 

I do understand that the players and club will be as frustrated as the fans, but I just feel there's something missing. 

I said this in another thread but there seems to be a lack of anger or tenacity about the club. You know that gut anger Levein used to have, again fully aware of Heart attack. 

None of the players have came out and said "aye we got a bollocking", at best they've had it out with each other. 

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated btw. I'm angry with the situation so I'm probably rambling in my posts lol. 

I'm literally relying on KB and what ever Google throws at me for Hearts news at the moment. 😊

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

There might have a bit of truth to it. He sounds as if he is particularly proud of himself for leaving home but thousands of teenagers do it at age 17 when they go to university. A 17 year old professional athlete, paid to go to the gym, talking of bulking up as if they don't all have to do it...

2 minutes ago, Blacky87 said:

Trust me deep down I want Levein to prove everyone on here wrong, but a part of me now feels the support has turned and he'll just not get an easy time. 

I caught the last few years of his playing career as a child, loved him first time round as manager and was so happy when Budge and Levein came in to sort us right out. 

I do understand that the players and club will be as frustrated as the fans, but I just feel there's something missing. 

I said this in another thread but there seems to be a lack of anger or tenacity about the club. You know that gut anger Levein used to have, again fully aware of Heart attack. 

None of the players have came out and said "aye we got a bollocking", at best they've had it out with each other. 

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated btw. I'm angry with the situation so I'm probably rambling in my posts lol. 

I'm literally relying on KB and what ever Google throws at me for Hearts news at the moment. 😊

The issues relate to the inability to play first pick match day side due to injuries of near a full team would start every week. Point 2, well that's easy yet hard to say as the saying goes . What do points make ? Its a result business the fans back the side no matter what there are many feel they deserve to know everything right now or else. We live in a super fast society where today's treasures become tomorrow's trash. Fickle freckled kittens easily offended do all the talking online . takes all sorts

34 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I understand that view. Interestingly both these seaside clubs are one-city clubs. I always wonder if having a local rival is a distraction ie it puts the focus on the parochial...Southampton always seemed to be distracted by rivalry with Portsmouth and their last bad spell was when Portsmouth were doing ok. Then when Portsmouth imploded, Southampton were on the resurgence...

14 minutes ago, Blacky87 said:

There's a lot of proud tough men in our squad need to train gel and socialie together its going to be 3-4 weeks of steady comebacks. As far as I know there's been numerous confrontations accusations between players. The Coaching staff at first team level need punted their to nice and offer the meekest power. Certain players take control and lead the way 

24 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

A 17 year old professional athlete, paid to go to the gym, talking of bulking up as if they don't all have to do it...

Thats the bit that made me laugh out loud. Still... I believe his agent is his Dad, so he must be in the best possible hands and it’s nice that the agent’s fee will be staying in the family. :lol: 

4 hours ago, 7628mm said:

This is in todays Evening news and seems to suggest that we do not play the same type of football from top to bottom as we were told the new philosophy was to do exactly that. Apologies if the formatting and fonts have gone haywire.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-style-didn-t-suit-me-marc-leonard-lifts-lid-on-tynecastle-exit-1-4997419?fbclid=IwAR1MBMk93eVZSvCNEfD37lu5nmAC950TzlPgyFgasi4IXUgVHxOSFfk7H8Q

Former Hearts youth player Marc Leonard has revealed he wanted out of Riccarton because of the style of play.

The 17-year-old midfielder left for Brighton and Hove Albion last year, less than 12 months after signing his first professional contract with Hearts.

Manager Craig Levein admitted he did not agree with the decision but Leonard has explained his reasons after earning his first Scotland Under-19 call-up.

"I really liked Craig Levein. He was director of football and was fantastic with all of us. We all respected him," said Leonard. "As soon as I made the step up it was more about results and the style of play changed. I'm not sure the style suited me.

"As a midfielder, it wasn't what I wanted my game based around. I just didn't feel I was involved as much as I could have been within that style of play at Hearts.

"The level at Brighton is also so much higher in every age-group. Coming down, I had to improve on my physical attributes and I had to catch up with the guys who had always done it.

"It took a while to settle into the new environment and routine, but now I feel in the best place I could be. I'm bigger, stronger and faster, so it's all coming together now."

Leonard is living away from home but his father and grandfather regularly make the gruelling 18-hour round trip to England's south coast to see him play

"After leaving Hearts I had six months staying at home waking up to mum and dad. Then I was down there," he told The Sun. "You'd be doing what you love but little things like walking past your family and so on were no longer there. Now I have fitted in here and the club is so friendly.

"It's about becoming a better human as well as a better footballer. Dad does the nine-hour drive to Brighton with my Papa. They'll stay the night then head back. Dad goes everywhere to watch me.

"I'm really grateful. It helps seeing your family on the sidelines and gives you a boost."

Scotland Under-19s are heading to Spain to play two friendlies against Japan. "I was buzzing when I got the call-up. I just can't wait for the games," said Leonard.

It says it all to me but Craig is right his style is the way to play the game 

So happy to have Craig as the manager 😢

14 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

It says it all to me but Craig is right his style is the way to play the game 

So happy to have Craig as the manager 😢

What does it say to you? :lol: 

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

He would have been in the first team for a couple of games then bombed out for one of the many signings each and every window.  Look how it’s worked out recently.  

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Thats the bit that made me laugh out loud. Still... I believe his agent is his Dad, so he must be in the best possible hands and it’s nice that the agent’s fee will be staying in the family. :lol: 

Yes, let’s rip to shreds and discredit any ex player that has a lot more knowledge than yourself what goes on at youth level because it’s not a Levein love in.

Guaranteed if he was interviewed saying it was amazing up here and everything was perfect but wanted to move to England you would be wishing him all the best and laughing and questioning **** all. 

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He would have been in the first team for a couple of games then bombed out for one of the many signings each and every window.  Look how it’s worked out recently.  

Do you not understand why that is done? It is to give them a taste of first team action. Sink or swim. Either to recognise their shortcomings and renew their energy, effort and dedication to succeed, or they perform well and get further games...

10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Yes, let’s rip to shreds and discredit any ex player that has a lot more knowledge than yourself what goes on at youth level because it’s not a Levein love in.

Guaranteed if he was interviewed saying it was amazing up here and everything was perfect but wanted to move to England you would be wishing him all the best and laughing and questioning **** all. 

Ooft, sorry mate. Forgot you only liked slagging Hearts employees. :( 

11 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Do you not understand why that is done? It is to give them a taste of first team action. Sink or swim. Either to recognise their shortcomings and renew their energy, effort and dedication to succeed, or they perform well and get further games...

No it’s done in games like derbies to take the heat off if we lose.  What’s the point in having an amazing academy when instead of going with the youngsters we bomb them out?

i thought the grand plan was to have the academy producing youngsters sell them on and then replace? Not a few wee games then bring in 40 players in the same position. 

5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

No it’s done in games like derbies to take the heat off if we lose.  What’s the point in having an amazing academy when instead of going with the youngsters we bomb them out?

i thought the grand plan was to have the academy producing youngsters sell them on and then replace? Not a few wee games then bring in 40 players in the same position. 

Not all games are against second division teams in fact very few are. The better ones may get their chance against Premiership teams - plus injuries sometimes make putting youngsters into big matches necessary. Hickey made his debut against Aberdeen then played in a cup final in his third game. Did that annoy you?

Personally I am happy to see the youngsters playing whenever. You seem to have a more cynical and jaded view which sounds a bit like something from a Netflix conspiracy documentary...

Not really the correct thread for this, sorry

Interesting later in the article regarding Periera injury.

Suffered a slight thigh strain kicking the ball late in the game with Celtic. I suppose it is all a bit new to him having to kick the ball 60+ yards all the time rather than throw/pass it to a defender within 20 yards.

“He’s gone from playing reserve football at Man United to being thrown into first-team training and matches in quick succession so he’s just got a little bit of a thigh strain from kicking so I’m hopeful that will settle down and he’ll be ready for Motherwell.

Pardon me for not believing CL with his assessment on his loan goalie.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/bobby-zlamal-ready-fight-place-16863570?fbclid=IwAR3cMMm4KbqHEMjTut4ZDqyxtLv-0kJw7w0Pqj4vsio8cZvaGP4ppdaR7Gc

Edited by 7628mm

The Treasurer
13 hours ago, farin said:

I believe Levein will have too much say in recruiting players than any new manager, remains to be seen if I’m correct on this of course but I feel he’ll have an unhealthy influence. 

“We managed to win trophy’s without a DoF. This experiment has failed imo & should be ripped up. No experienced  manager worth his salt will allow levein as DoF to pick the players he can put into any team.

He needs complete autonomy to bring in his own squad. You can’t have a failed manager pulling the strings behind the scenes like this. It’s a recipe for disaster, complete break with a new manager being in complete control” 

nowhere in my post have have I said levein would influence the tactics of the new manger. But he’d be pulling the strings re recruitment too much imo. All conjecture of course until the new guy comes in.  

As you say, it's all conjecture, but I genuinely believe the DoF/HC system can work with Levein as DoF, provided we get the right person in as HC.

As for your point about "we managed to win trophies without a DoF", you could say "we managed to win trophies by having the players run up and down sand dunes and calling the manager Sir,"

Times move on