Arguments for and against keeping Levein on as D.o.F.

Gambo

Whilst JKB seems to be in agreement that Levein needs to be removed from the managers job, there is a split as to wether he should keep his D.o.F. role (or any role) or completely leave the club.

I will list my arguments for him leaving completely, please feel free to add to that list or give reasons for him being kept on.

Him staying in the D.o.F. role (or similar) will cause division amongst the support, something the club and a new manager does not need at this time.

No doubt some will argue about the great job he has done at the Academy, what exactly is that, do Roger Arnott and the Academy coaches not get some credit for this, will it all fall to pieces with no Levein? Is he out on the training park coaching the laddies, making them better OR does he just sign off on who the coaches rate. I'm not saying he does nothing 're the Academy, but some seem to think the Academy is him. Remember the club is in a stable position to let the Academy prosper, the same could not be said for the end of the Romanov era but players still came through. I don't think the Academy is a good enough reason for him to be kept on imo.

His role as D.o.F. when it comes to the first team has not been great either, Cathro, Levein himself taking over, 6th place finishes, 3 year deals for folk who don't play, first team coaches etc.

What is it Levein brings to the table that he gets to keep the D.o.F. role or any role at the club as I'm not reading/hearing any except he should move upstais/He is the Academy?

Fire away.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• The Treasurer

• AJAMBO

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

Any promotion from within with him as DOF is doomed unless instantly successful.

I believed his place was to continue the great work developing the academy however what if a new manager had different ideas? Should a new manager be told, “This is how the academy, colts, reserves play. This is how your first team should play”

Reckon a clean break is best for all concerned 

Must stay as DoF - any new coach will need the help, support and guidance of an experienced knowledgeable professional that knows how football works!

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

Whilst JKB seems to be in agreement that Levein needs to be removed from the managers job, there is a split as to wether he should keep his D.o.F. role (or any role) or completely leave the club.

I will list my arguments for him leaving completely, please feel free to add to that list or give reasons for him being kept on.

Him staying in the D.o.F. role (or similar) will cause division amongst the support, something the club and a new manager does not need at this time.

No doubt some will argue about the great job he has done at the Academy, what exactly is that, do Roger Arnott and the Academy coaches not get some credit for this, will it all fall to pieces with no Levein? Is he out on the training park coaching the laddies, making them better OR does he just sign off on who the coaches rate. I'm not saying he does nothing 're the Academy, but some seem to think the Academy is him. Remember the club is in a stable position to let the Academy prosper, the same could not be said for the end of the Romanov era but players still came through. I don't think the Academy is a good enough reason for him to be kept on imo.

His role as D.o.F. when it comes to the first team has not been great either, Cathro, Levein himself taking over, 6th place finishes, 3 year deals for folk who don't play, first team coaches etc.

What is it Levein brings to the table that he gets to keep the D.o.F. role or any role at the club as I'm not reading/hearing any except he should move upstais/He is the Academy?

Fire away.

When Levein is sacked i can't see how he could return to being DOF full time as he would be a man that has lost his credibility and no new manager would want him looking over his shoulder commenting on his actions within the club. When Levein moved into the managers job after Cathro he was asked at an interview that if he one day got sacked would he move back to DOF and he said no he wouldn't so he himself must know it would be the wrong thing to do.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I think we've got a really decent squad of players at the moment, and while CL isn't getting the best out of them, he deserves credit for having signed them in the first place. I'd have no problem with him returning to a DOF role. 

1 minute ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Must stay as DoF - any new coach will need the help, support and guidance of an experienced knowledgeable professional that knows how football works!

So we’re not going to appoint an experienced, knowledgable, professional new head coach then????🤔

With influence he has had at the club and with little success if being cut throat about it, then it's beyond reason for him to stay. It would have a negative effect in any new manager. 

Has to a clean break if he goes IMO. Or at least have no involvement with the first team, if he was willing to take an academy only role then fair enough.  I just don't see how we can have a manager answering to someone who has failed miserably in the role themselves.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

How about we hire a manager who is an experienced knowledgeable professional who knows how football work.

Mind blown.  

Just now, TheOak88 said:

How about we hire a manager who is an experienced knowledgeable professional who knows how football work.

Mind blown.  

Definitely. 

3 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

I think we've got a really decent squad of players at the moment, and while CL isn't getting the best out of them, he deserves credit for having signed them in the first place. I'd have no problem with him returning to a DOF role. 

Throw enough darts at a dart board and you will hit the bullseye once or twice. 

If if you look across his signing record the success rate is below 50% that is not acceptable. 

Edited by TheOak88

I would put a case forward for him to remain as DOF as most other areas of the "footballing department" appear to be performing well besides the first team.  Additionally most would surely agree that the first team squad has the personnel to be able to challenge at the top end of the league.  Both of these have been achieved under his leadership as DOF and it would seem to me a knee-jerk reaction to get rid of him completely.  Any incoming new manager should be able to bring in his own team of coaches, as I believe our current lot are a key part of the problem, but the days of a manager coming in and overhauling the entire football strategy at the club are well and truly gone aka Alex Ferguson at Man Utd.  If that were the case we'd be changing our strategy every couple of years at the most every time a manager fails and is sacked or is a success and moves on... 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

Throw enough darts at a dart board and you will hit the bullseye once or twice. 

If if you look across his signing record the success rate is below 50% that is not acceptable. 

It's a matter of opinion and there's been one or two howlers certainly but IMO more than half of his signings have been decent. The squad we've got now is pretty good I'd say. 

2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Throw enough darts a dart board and you will hit the bullseye once or twice. 

While I agree he's made some big errors in the transfer market, most of them he's got rid of quite quickly.  I think you'll find few clubs with particularly high success rates with transfers these days, part of the reason so many have large squads, increase in player loans etc

Stephen Muddie
11 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

:what:

Stupid Sexy Flanders
1 minute ago, farin said:

We managed to win trophy’s without a DoF. This experiment has failed imo & should be ripped up. No experienced  manager worth his salt will allow levein as DoF to pick the players he can put into any team.

He needs complete autonomy to bring in his own squad. You can’t have a failed manager pulling the strings behind the scenes like this. It’s a recipe for disaster, complete break with a new manager being in complete control .. 

That depends on whether you believe that's actually the case. Do you seriously believe CL was picking the team for Neilson and Cathro? I don't. What coach is going to put his own career and reputation on the line knowing that someone else is actually doing his job? None, IMO.

Clean break required.

We will end up with the same old stories that he is meddling in the team, notes getting past down to the manager etc.

Regardless of who becomes the new manager, people will blame Levein if he is still in and around the first team so due to that he has to go 100%.

Let the new manager come in and have a clean slate.

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

But just cant get it across to his coaching staff or players - shame really:unsure2:

It's simply impossible for him to be sacked as manager then still have a say on what happens with the first team, the whole situation is a complete shambles.

MarkDevriesScores4

Does anyone actually genuinely believe that Craig has done a good job with the youth set up? The reason I ask is we appear to have made zero money from any youth players in as long as I can remember and only a handful have made the first team for any length of time and of that few, a couple at best have made an impact. Not trying to be harsh but we’ve invested a lot of money into the youth set up and so far we have had little return. Happy to be told otherwise 

Adam_the_legend
17 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

It's a matter of opinion and there's been one or two howlers certainly but IMO more than half of his signings have been decent. The squad we've got now is pretty good I'd say. 

The squad that’s bottom of the league? That one?

Toxteth O'Grady
24 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

We have a lot of bang average players who don’t seem motivated and we have some good players who are past their best and injury prone. We don’t have anyone who scores regularly enough and our goalkeeping situation is a joke. It’s a shambles 

How about DOEEF.

Director of everything except football - that should keep him busy and out of the way of a new manager.:thumbsup:

No need for DOF at a club our size.I dont know his salary.Circa £150000 maybe.Money better spent elsewhere.We dont owe Craig anything.Arnott is head of academy.We have Scouts in place.We have a Loans manager.We have Rankin in charge of youths.Kirk in charge of the reserves.Medical Physio team.A new manager will have his own ideas and will almost certainly not want Levein peering over his shoulder.With good communication and goodwill things should work fine.

Of course it will cost to pay him off but I see no point in him hanging around.I dont think he would want that anyway.

He’s built the foundations and supplied a stable footing for any new person coming in. He’s been involved with the club since admin and done a great job off the field. I’d be wanting the club to explore the possibilities of recruiting a new DoF and a new manager with a fresh outlook on where the club should be heading. Levein going back to DoF changes nothing. He could realistically head up the academy if the club really didn’t want him cut from the club totally. 

If he goes, then he goes completely imo. If he stays the shadow continues to linger over everything, even if he is totally hands off from the first team, coaching, etc. Same goes for the backroom team, they have to go too.

Remember him in the stand, passing notes to Jon Daly, to then take to Cathro in the dugout, think at pittodrie.🤔

He wouldn't be able to stop himself interfering. 

He needs to go completely.imo

Francis Albert
40 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic. Wouldn't it be a good idea to appoint= a manager/head coach who is an experienced  knowledgeable professional who knows how football works.

Oh of course you are being sarcastic.

Unless Cathro or McPhee are the models.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He clearly has very good contacts, a strong reputation and bar his stubborn plan to create the boot room (filled with incompetence), the foundation he has helped to lay, and his commitment to not only the academies but the performance school, is way ahead of most other clubs in the country.

His loyalty to muppets is letting him down, bring back the *******

Francis Albert

And why the sentimental obsession with Levein. Countless bigger, more loyal and more successful Hearts men have been kicked out unceremoniously for less than Levein's failures. If the Academy is really in great shape after his five years (for me the jury is still out) than it should continue to prosper if Levein leaves, as presumably it will have to do sooner or later.

The prospects of getting the best man for the manager/head coach role will be greatly reduced if not eliminated if Levein remains in a powerful and influential position as DoF.

5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Overall the DOF role has been a shambles. Scrap it.

Correct. Plus if he does move back upstairs it proves he is untouchable under this regime.

A football club our size does not need a director of football.  

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

And why the sentimental obsession with Levein. Countless bigger, more loyal and more successful Hearts men have been kicked out unceremoniously for less than Levein's failures. If the Academy is really in great shape after his five years (for me the jury is still out) than it should continue to prosper if Levein leaves, as presumably it will have to do sooner or later.

The prospects of getting the best man for the manager/head coach role will be greatly reduced if not eliminated if Levein remains in a powerful and influential position as DoF.

+1

12 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

He’s built the foundations and supplied a stable footing for any new person coming in. He’s been involved with the club since admin and done a great job off the field. I’d be wanting the club to explore the possibilities of recruiting a new DoF and a new manager with a fresh outlook on where the club should be heading. Levein going back to DoF changes nothing. He could realistically head up the academy if the club really didn’t want him cut from the club totally. 

He'd still be a director anyway.

I'd do away with the DOF role and ask CL to stay on the board in an advisory role.

I'd push the boat out to get a top notch manager someone like O'Neil or Moyes or an up and coming manager from England or abroad.

The present coaching team would just have to take their chances to see if the new boss wants to keep them I wouldn't sack them that would be for the new boss to decide. 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

When Levein is sacked i can't see how he could return to being DOF full time as he would be a man that has lost his credibility and no new manager would want him looking over his shoulder commenting on his actions within the club. When Levein moved into the managers job after Cathro he was asked at an interview that if he one day got sacked would he move back to DOF and he said no he wouldn't so he himself must know it would be the wrong thing to do.

People move jobs within the same organisation all the time, don't see why the same can't happen at a football club

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, farin said:

We managed to win trophy’s without a DoF. This experiment has failed imo & should be ripped up. No experienced  manager worth his salt will allow levein as DoF to pick the players he can put into any team.

He needs complete autonomy to bring in his own squad. You can’t have a failed manager pulling the strings behind the scenes like this. It’s a recipe for disaster, complete break with a new manager being in complete control .. 

Your post suggests you don't have any idea about what is involved in the DoF role

9 minutes ago, luckydug said:

He'd still be a director anyway.

I'd do away with the DOF role and ask CL to stay on the board in an advisory role.

I'd push the boat out to get a top notch manager someone like O'Neil or Moyes or an up and coming manager from England or abroad.

The present coaching team would just have to take their chances to see if the new boss wants to keep them I wouldn't sack them that would be for the new boss to decide. 

Guus Hiddink did Chelsea and Russia jobs together. O'Neill could surely do both and has his assistant already there. O'Neill earns nearly a million a year so could have his pick of any assistant and has McPhee sitting beside him on the bench and is top of a group with Germany and Holland in it. McPhee clearly really respected by O'Neill (and Hertz players) and vice-versa. Chelsea and Russia a bit bigger than Hetz and Northern Ireland!

Adam_the_legend
10 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

People move jobs within the same organisation all the time, don't see why the same can't happen at a football club

People who fail at their job are then just moved to a new job? I’ve never seen that, if you’re **** at your job you get sacked. It’s that simple 

4 minutes ago, Stavropol said:

Guus Hiddink did Chelsea and Russia jobs together. O'Neill could surely do both and has his assistant already there. O'Neill earns nearly a million a year so could have his pick of any assistant and has McPhee sitting beside him on the bench and is top of a group with Germany and Holland in it. McPhee clearly really respected by O'Neill (and Hertz players) and vice-versa. Chelsea and Russia a bit bigger than Hetz and Northern Ireland!

My only issue with Austin is he’s been sitting beside CL through this dreadful run. What’s he been doing?

Im not arguing against O Neill BTW. Think he’d be decent

The Treasurer
2 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

People who fail at their job are then just moved to a new job? I’ve never seen that, if you’re **** at your job you get sacked. It’s that simple 

You've obviously never worked for the civil service :biggrin2:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Boy at my work, every time he f**ks up, he moves up the ladder, very nearly at the top now. Incredible.