Arguments for and against keeping Levein on as D.o.F.

Gambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

He didn’t need to be under pressure though. He made a poor appointment in Cathro but every club does that and all he had to do was deal with the situation and advertise and appoint a new man. 

As a business leader, surely alarm bells should have rung in Ann’s mind when her trusted employee could not recruit a new Head Coach. And she surely should have foreseen that it would always lead to a situation where Levein had to give up the Head Coach role...and how that would affect his DoF role (and his position on the Board). 

I genuinely think his contract status is the real problem here. We are not just considering his role as Head Coach, so much of the club goes through him that it is a mess to untangle him, not to mention his Board role.

I suspect Ann and Craig are desperately trying to find a way to keep him as DoF and Director without losing face. And Levein will not walk away as this is his last job in football (imo)

Yeah. That rings true for me.

Naive by her standards to potentially marginalize her football confidant. 

Now she has to find another,  or has she been smart?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• The Treasurer

• AJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Yeah. That rings true for me.

Naive by her standards to potentially marginalize her football confidant. 

Now she has to find another,  or has she been smart?

Who knows?

Tune in next week for another exciting instalment!

Personally when he goes as manager I think wether he stays on as a DOF depends on how exactly it ends.

I really hope it’s not a terrible ending with protests and all sorts and it’s done some sort of respected way (from both sides). If it is and it’s not drawn out until there’s bonfires then I’d have no issue with him staying on as a DOF.

Its a few days since Saturday and I’m absolutely still of the opinion that he should no longer be manager. If he wins the next 3 games then that may change. I’d be astounded if we do though given our 2019 record

Byyy The Light
20 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Right so go and get a director of football at their level then. It's all well and good having a director of football but it's no use if he's hopeless.

If you read my other posts I’ve already said I’m not saying it has to be Levein. My post was in response to someone saying we’ve managed ok without a Director of football for our history and the role is not needed.

He has a point but there’s probably a decent reason every successful club at the  top of the game uses that model.

Scottish football is an absolute backwater. I’d like for my club to try new things and try to replicate the success other clubs have had.

Has to go all together cant just waltz back upstairs, and if he did stay as DOF he surely couldnt have any say in  who would get the gig when he was no good at it himself 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Who knows?

Tune in next week for another exciting instalment!

:isee:

I dont think levein should move up stairs its time for him to move on, we needed someone like him stabilise our club when we came out of administration,  but remember what he done to lockie and other player when he first came in, it was jobs for the boys ie Daly Foxy Neilson Crawford & Ross these where very                      in experience coaching staff, who then moved on very quickly apart from Daly & Foxy  then he brings in  cathro, another Dundee utd colleague with No  experience  then macphee who was with st mirren and cowdenbeath who was an analyst/ sports psychologist now part of the coaching staff, have we really moved forward on the pitch in the last 3 years our league position in the past few years doesn't say so.

We need a whole new management team just like Burley who coached his own player the way he wanted them to play,  he never stood at the side of the training ground asking                        in experienced coaches to coach his team and thats the difference!!!  thats why Hearts will fail under levein,  he has no motivation no direction and hes probably the only manager that would turn an attacking player in to a defender and the football has been piss poor a lot of the times, 1 up front no width.. defenders and the keeper touching the ball more times than any other player on the park we are in a rutt and we need a fresh approach. 

What does a DOF do Mon - Fri then?

Why does a club our size need one?

What does he do our academy manager doesn't?

What does he do our head coach doesn't?

What does he do our owner doesn't?

What exactly is 'infrastructure' which is mentioned frequently?

Why does it require a DOF to exist or continue?

Does the DOF report to the head coach or the other way around?

There's a discussion to be had on whether we should have a DOF at all, let alone who it should be.

Why would we want someone Budge has described as disorganised as Director of Football?

As for Levein retaining responsibility for the youth academy - can anyone say we have had a good return on the £4m he's spent so far?

Maybe he's even worse at being a Director of Football than he is at being a manager.

7 hours ago, Gambo said:

Whilst JKB seems to be in agreement that Levein needs to be removed from the managers job, there is a split as to wether he should keep his D.o.F. role (or any role) or completely leave the club.

I will list my arguments for him leaving completely, please feel free to add to that list or give reasons for him being kept on.

Him staying in the D.o.F. role (or similar) will cause division amongst the support, something the club and a new manager does not need at this time.

No doubt some will argue about the great job he has done at the Academy, what exactly is that, do Roger Arnott and the Academy coaches not get some credit for this, will it all fall to pieces with no Levein? Is he out on the training park coaching the laddies, making them better OR does he just sign off on who the coaches rate. I'm not saying he does nothing 're the Academy, but some seem to think the Academy is him. Remember the club is in a stable position to let the Academy prosper, the same could not be said for the end of the Romanov era but players still came through. I don't think the Academy is a good enough reason for him to be kept on imo.

His role as D.o.F. when it comes to the first team has not been great either, Cathro, Levein himself taking over, 6th place finishes, 3 year deals for folk who don't play, first team coaches etc.

What is it Levein brings to the table that he gets to keep the D.o.F. role or any role at the club as I'm not reading/hearing any except he should move upstais/He is the Academy?

Fire away.

To add to above, he is disorganised (from Budge) and he would 1/2 our applicants, we have.... he has signed good players and he is experienced as the counter arguments.

Not looking good for Levein on what used to be a pro Levein forum.

"Directir at Fitba.  Whit's that? A'm the Director ay Fitba". More or less a quote from Sir Alex and I agree with him.

No problem with having an assistant who deals with agents etc.

Guest ToqueJambo

For: Can spot a coach - Neilson, Ross, Cathro (at D Utd at least); has great contacts for recruitment; his recruitment has been better than he's given credit for; his work with young players; really wants to do the DoF role (more than he wants to be a manager, which was my main concern when he first took the manager job)

Against: Some fans just won't accept him having anything to do with Hearts and will constantly be moaning about it when things inevitably go wrong, the question is how big is that group. I suspect not very big, just loud.

So I am for, but if we went for someone like Takis Fyssis or Thomas Flogal or maybe Austin McPhee as DoF, and in future get someone like Steven Naismith then eventually Michael O'Neill as manager I won't be distraught.

Edited by ToqueJambo

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

Who would all of these people report to and who would hire/fire these rolls if we got rid of the DOF role?

"Sometime Ill ask Craig who a particular individual reports to.The  answer is always the same "Me I suppose"

We are getting bigger so we need more conventional practises in place "

"Craig isnt the most organised when it comes to planning"

So said Ann Budge a few weeks ago .

The football department was not working smoothly before and the most obvious outcome  is seen in the performance of the first team

A football savvy chief exec working with a good manager can cover what the DOF was supposed to do.No need to pay a DOF salary.There has been too much of our money wasted over the years.I       

Stephen Muddie

At the moment, not many for keeping him at all. Crucial period coming up for the football club, forgetting him, which is maybe shit for those who've understandably had enough. I think if it wasn't a crunch wee spell of Must win Home + Derby + Cup, his position would be shakier. These games will show (100% of) us which way we are headed IMO.

SomethingAboutObua

Does he have to be DoF? It seems as DoF he’s doing the American sports idea of a GM, he signs the players makes the deals and decisions and hires a coaching staff who make the training and on field decisions with what’ve they’ve got. If that’s his role as DoF absolutely not.  

If he’s DoF as in he helps instill and install a footballing philosophy in the youth academy up to whatever level’s below the reserve team, offers advice to the 1st team manager if they want it, and is a big scary ******* for the manager upon performance reviews, then yes great. But he can’t have anything to do with the first team or reserves aside from extremes like having to sack a manager etc. Not because I necessarily think he’s a bad manager, but no good experienced manager (which is what we need right now) is going to work directly under him. Not because he failed, but we honestly just need to hire someone who’s been more successful in their career already than Levein, and no one wants to take orders from someone who’s very publicly not as good at their own job.  

Ideally, he would’ve taken over after Cathro for a year, got the players fitness and confidence in Hearts as a club back up over the season, fans accept the Cathro thing was a cock up and we would have had a new manager in place at the start of last season ready to go with a fit and happy squad. 

I want someone who has total responsibility for this first team.  Answerable only to the Board  of which he is not a member but has a very good and close relationship.  He is responsible for all players coming in and has assistants with whom he also has good relationships and who do his bidding.

As I understand it, levein currently has at least 3 roles and currently answers to himself.

Ridiculous and Ann Budge has erred here and has to fix it, one way or another.

J.T.F.Robertson

There are no arguments "for", seriously. He's had years in one role or another and the only direction he's taken us is sideways or backwards, a bit like the "style" of play he employs.

I've followed Hearts long enough not to expect a league win every year, but really, so far as he is concerned, enough is enough.

I cannot believe we have fans on here still giving him the benefit of a doubt.that was lost to me a long time ago.

Don't bring your lunch with you tomorrow Craig.  The more I think about you the more frustrated I become.  You've let us down far to often for far too long.  A couple of encouraging performances each season but abject rubbish most of the time.

You must know that.

fabienleclerq
13 hours ago, rmreido said:

Remember him in the stand, passing notes to Jon Daly, to then take to Cathro in the dugout, think at pittodrie.🤔

He wouldn't be able to stop himself interfering. 

He needs to go completely.imo

I still don't see the problem with that, sometimes you see things from the stand you wouldn't pitchside. 

Here's what Levein thought were the arguments for having a Director of Football. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13160351.the-levein-blueprint-10-years-in-the-making/

Hasn't worked.  And never could have.  What gave Budge the idea that this man who never won anything was the best choice to be the puppeteer?

It also ignores the cathartic improvement that a fresh start can bring.  If and when Levein and MacPhee leave the new manager can try to clear out their wholly unsuccessful plans.  

3 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

I still don't see the problem with that, sometimes you see things from the stand you wouldn't pitchside. 

Does anyone pass notes to Levein?

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Here's what Levein thought were the arguments for having a Director of Football. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13160351.the-levein-blueprint-10-years-in-the-making/

Hasn't worked.  And never could have.  What gave Budge the idea that this man who never won anything was the best choice to be the puppeteer?

It also ignores the cathartic improvement that a fresh start can bring.  If and when Levein and MacPhee leave the new manager can try to clear out their wholly unsuccessful plans.  

Couldn't agree more. We were a blank slate and we handed the keys to someone whose never won anything and is renowned for negative crap football. 

The Treasurer
14 hours ago, sadj said:

@The Treasurer and yourself are the only two who seem to have a grip on it. Been reading the thread and all that jumps out is that and if we had a Mark Allen etc who wasn’t a large personality a lot of people wouldn’t have an argument as they would forget the DoF exists. In saying that when he stayed out the limelight as DoF people were pissed he wasn’t voicing opinions in public. British managers certainly older ones don’t like a DoF as its not something they have been brought through with. That is changing and lots of teams have them. There is nothing wrong with that model but you need the right fit of people. A question that never gets answered is why should we change our structure back to an older structure just because people like Billy Davies thinks the DoF model doesn’t work.

Good post

The Treasurer
12 hours ago, farin said:

Tell me what part of my post is wrong ? 

Suggesting that the DoF has more say over the which players are recruited and the way the team plays than the Head Coach/Manager

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Suggesting that the DoF has more say over the which players are recruited and the way the team plays than the Head Coach/Manager

The DoF has a voice in those decisions. 

If he sees the Head Coach recruiting dross then he will step in. If he sees the Head Coach recruiting players that contradict the way the DoF wants the club to play, he will step in. 

Of course, the DoF will have recruited the Head Coach and will have appointed someone who fits his ideas and philosophies , therefore such opposing philosophies are not going to happen. 

My feeling is that the Director of Football role is necessary in modern football. Manchester United are a total mess for failing to recruit one since Alex Ferguson's departure, their recruitment record is poor and their squad is imbalanced (7 senior centre halves for two positions and 2 senior strikers).

Of Levein, I don't think that he can credibly go back into a role which essentially holds the head coach to account for their performance, when his own performance has been so poor in that role for some time now. Further his recruitment record as evidenced by the annual churn of players, has been consistently bad.

In short, if he is to go, I think that he should be completely removed from the club.

Being objective, we have a good squad on paper.  Our youth academy is in good shape with Hickey, Irving, Smith, Cochran and McDonald all looking like shining lights in recent times and I have to say look technically very well coached. I don’t think we need to tear up this aspect of the club. Sixth-placed finishes are not a good season for Hearts, but we’re not a million miles away from where we need to be.

I do just think we need a new Head Coach with new ideas to take the current squad of players forward. We have two centre-backs who are international standard, an international right-back, rising star left-back, two international centre-forwards. The infrastructure has been put in place by Levein - in his capacity as DoF - to make the first-team successful. Just allow a new Head Coach the opportunity to work with the squad to do so, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water and return to ground zero.

8 minutes ago, GarryJ-o-s said:

Being objective, we have a good squad on paper.  

The infrastructure has been put in place by Levein - in his capacity as DoF - to make the first-team successful. 

And yet we have failed for the last 3 seasons. 3 season in which we have brought in loads of players.

The Treasurer
23 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The DoF has a voice in those decisions. 

The DoF will have input but the final decision on player recruitment lies with the HC.

If he sees the Head Coach recruiting dross then he will step in. If he sees the Head Coach recruiting players that contradict the way the DoF wants the club to play, he will step in. 

The HC has full control over how the team is set up/plays. The success (or otherwise) of that system would determine whether the DoF would take action.

Of course, the DoF will have recruited the Head Coach and will have appointed someone who fits his ideas and philosophies , therefore such opposing philosophies are not going to happen. 

It makes sense to hire someone who shares the same vision for the club, they may have differing views of how that is achieved

12 minutes ago, Gambo said:

And yet we have failed for the last 3 seasons. 3 season in which we have brought in loads of players.

I agree, there should be a new Head Coach.

Edit: According to Transfermarkt, since the beginning of 17/18 we have brought in 30 players on permanent deals (so 10 per season). The league average is 10.53 per team per season. So we’re actually pretty usual in that department since CL took to the dugout again.

Edited by GarryJ-o-s

2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I don’t think you are disagreeing 👍🏻

Its not a YES/NO discussion between the HC and DoF and I suppose it depends on their relationship and how much they value each other’s input. The HC will be the one getting the stick if it fails so he needs to have that final say. 

15 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

My feeling is that the Director of Football role is necessary in modern football. Manchester United are a total mess for failing to recruit one since Alex Ferguson's departure, their recruitment record is poor and their squad is imbalanced (7 senior centre halves for two positions and 2 senior strikers).

Of Levein, I don't think that he can credibly go back into a role which essentially holds the head coach to account for their performance, when his own performance has been so poor in that role for some time now. Further his recruitment record as evidenced by the annual churn of players, has been consistently bad.

In short, if he is to go, I think that he should be completely removed from the club.

Having said that, even I could see their squad was unbalanced! 

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don’t think you are disagreeing 👍🏻

Its not a YES/NO discussion between the HC and DoF and I suppose it depends on their relationship and how much they value each other’s input. The HC will be the one getting the stick if it fails so he needs to have that final say. 

For the DoF/HC model to work you have to have mutual respect and trust between them and, crucially, the DoF has to allow the HC to do his job without interference and have clear lines as to what both roles are.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Having said that, even I could see their squad was unbalanced! 

The DoF / Head Coach dynamic is ultimately based on how the clubs see the scope of both roles. Some clubs put the DoF in sole charge of contract negotiation and recruitment, others involve the head coach in recruitment by specifying requirements for the Head Coach to address, further in other clubs, the Head Coach identifies the players and the DoF has the role of procuring them.

I think it's impossible and pointless to do both jobs at the same time. Ultimately you need that degree of separation for it to work.

15 minutes ago, GarryJ-o-s said:

I agree, there should be a new Head Coach.

Edit: According to Transfermarkt, since the beginning of 17/18 we have brought in 30 players on permanent deals (so 10 per season). The league average is 10.53 per team per season. So we’re actually pretty usual in that department since CL took to the dugout again.

So the new head coach will report to the failed head coach?

fabienleclerq
4 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Does anyone pass notes to Levein?

I see the director of football doing it all the time😂

17 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Would you keep McPhee, Fox and Daly?

God no, they are as culpable for the state of affairs as CL. They take the training, they report to the manager, they set the tactics which are clearly not working. I still struggle to understand why a 21yr old loanee who we know nothing about is going to be better than a player CL says is the closest the club has to Walker. Why do we keep pushing our young players away from the 1st team. Look at Mikey Johnstone at Celtic, has  a manager who believes in him and sticks by him and they are reaping rewards, he did the same with Forrest. We have some of the best young talent in the country but we bring in journeymen players, players form other countries who we know nothing about, like Vancek and now the new Japanese boy. Invariably these players cost nothing....why, if they were free did nobody else want them....

CL does a good job with academies, Dundee Utd reaped rewards after he left, that is a skill but tactically he is poor, his backroom team are poor as well. We have 2 strikers who cant score goals and we have a striker on the coaching staff, defenders who cant defend and an ex defender as manager, a midfield devoid of creativity\movement\energy and we have a midfielder on the coaching staff.....what do they do...do they work on the players individually or is it just a one size fits all approach...certainly how it looks.

Best coach at the club is Andy Kirk, probably the best player out of all of them as well. Get him in as 1st team coach, let him work with them. His reserve teams play good football, he gets the ball to the creative players and lets them play, not rocket science really just good coaching. They score goals, create chances, control games...

I wouldn't be adverse to Neil McCann. I know he is disliked but he wont take any crap, he will weed out the pasengers and with Andy Kirk beside him the one thing you would get is effort, a game plan and a team that plays...think I will go and get my tin hat on now for the incoming!!!

18Jambo_dave74

i cannot see any reason why Levein should be allowed to return as DOF. There may be a role for him within the academy although I'm not sure how that would sit with Roger Arnott. 

First of all I don't think you can effectively sack a manager and then put him in charge of all first team football matters and have a new manager report to him. 

Secondly I think as well as failing as a manager, Levein has not performed very well as DOF with regards to first team affairs. I remember Levein explaining the role of the DOF and he stated that it would help ensure continuity. Any new manager would buy in to the club's philosophy and would not need to bring in a raft of new players or coaches as the DOF had ensured that this was always maintained and that there would be "principles of play". This would also help any youngsters coming in to the first team as they would already be playing the same way at youth level.

There is no way that the above is what has since transpired. Cathro was appointed on 5 Dec 2016 and by the end of the Jan transfer window he had signed 7 new players and moved on 4 players to new clubs which meant a pretty big transition during the season. Levein is then appointed as manager and states that Malaury Martin is not his kind of player which is a farcical situation given his position of DOF. We have also seen in Levein's spell as manager a huge overhaul in players and the style of play is so far removed from what we saw in the Championship season. 

Here is a link to a Kickback Q&A with Levein from 2016 where, in response to question 2, he outlines our principles of play that he helped to develop. I certainly don't recognise much of what is described in Levein's style of football whilst in charge. Some of his answers to the other questions are quite interesting - particularly question 12. 

The process of hiring and firing both Cathro and Levein has been a shambles IMO. Cathro was identified and appointed by Levein and it was recognised that his time in charge majorly set us back. After defeat at Easter Road, Cathro stated that we would never perform that poorly again - roll on away to Partick Thisltle later that week and we saw an even worse performance. It was absolutely clear that we were going in one direction under his leadership yet he was bizarrely given the next summer only to be sacked after 4 league cup games. We then take 4 weeks to decide that the next manager is someone who was already at the club. We are then in a situation whereby we have been embarrassingly knocked out the cup and have appointed a new manager with the transfer window almost shut. 

Fast forward a couple of years and we have made the exact same mistake with Levein. It was absolutely clear that he should have been removed after the cup final but here we are again having started the new season and the manager's failure has been allowed to continue. It just feels like we are wasting our time persisting with this and Budge's comments about him not being bulletproof and that she would not have to sack him as he would be the first to admit when things aren't going well look more ridiculous with each passing match. 

Edited by 18Jambo_dave74

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

i cannot see any reason why Levein should be allowed to return as DOF. There may be a role for him within the academy although I'm not sure how that would sit with Roger Arnott. 

First of all I don't think you can effectively sack a manager and then put him in charge of all first team football matters and have a new manager report to him. 

Secondly I think as well as failing as a manager, Levein has not performed very well as DOF with regards to first team affairs. I remember Levein explaining the role of the DOF and he stated that it would help ensure continuity. Any new manager would buy in to the club's philosophy and would not need to bring in a raft of new players or coaches as the DOF had ensured that this was always maintained and that there would be "principles of play". This would also help any youngsters coming in to the first team as they would already be playing the same way at youth level.

There is no way that the above is what has since transpired. Cathro was appointed on 5 Dec 2016 and by the end of the Jan transfer window he had signed 7 new players and moved on 4 players to new clubs which meant a pretty big transition during the season. Levein is then appointed as manager and states that Malaury Martin is not his kind of player which is a farcical situation given his position of DOF. We have also seen in Levein's spell as manager a huge overhaul in players and the style of play is so far removed from what we saw in the Championship season. 

Here is a link to a Kickback Q&A with Levein from 2016 where, in response to question 2, he outlines our principles of play that he helped to develop. I certainly don't recognise much of what is described in Levein's style of football whilst in charge. Some of his answers to the other questions are quite interesting - particularly question 12. 

The process of hiring and firing both Cathro and Levein has been a shambles IMO. Cathro was identified and appointed by Levein and it was recognised that his time in charge majorly set us back. After defeat at Easter Road, Cathro stated that we would never perform that poorly again - roll on away to Partick Thisltle later that week and we saw an even worse performance. It was absolutely clear that we were going in one direction under his leadership yet he was bizarrely given the next summer only to be sacked after 4 league cup games. We then take 4 weeks to decide that the next manager is someone who was already at the club. We are then in a situation whereby we have been embarrassingly knocked out the cup and have appointed a new manager with the transfer window almost shut. 

Fast forward a couple of years and we have made the exact same mistake with Levein. It was absolutely clear that he should have been removed after the cup final but here we are again having started the new season and the manager's failure has been allowed to continue. It just feels like we are wasting our time persisting with this and Budge's comments about him not being bulletproof and that she would not have to sack him as he would be the first to admit when things aren't going well look more ridiculous with each passing match. 

Great post 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, GarryJ-o-s said:

Being objective, we have a good squad on paper.  Our youth academy is in good shape with Hickey, Irving, Smith, Cochran and McDonald all looking like shining lights in recent times and I have to say look technically very well coached. I don’t think we need to tear up this aspect of the club. Sixth-placed finishes are not a good season for Hearts, but we’re not a million miles away from where we need to be.

I do just think we need a new Head Coach with new ideas to take the current squad of players forward. We have two centre-backs who are international standard, an international right-back, rising star left-back, two international centre-forwards. The infrastructure has been put in place by Levein - in his capacity as DoF - to make the first-team successful. Just allow a new Head Coach the opportunity to work with the squad to do so, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water and return to ground zero.

Good post, being an international doesn’t necessarily mean they’re good enough for our team though.

Zlamal, Doyle,Hughes, Alvonitis, Struna,Oshiniwa, Bozanic, Kitchen,Watt, Godhino and probably a few others have proved that.

10 hours ago, Coco said:

This is in todays Evening news and seems to suggest that we do not play the same type of football from top to bottom as we were told the new philosophy was to do exactly that. Apologies if the formatting and fonts have gone haywire.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-style-didn-t-suit-me-marc-leonard-lifts-lid-on-tynecastle-exit-1-4997419?fbclid=IwAR1MBMk93eVZSvCNEfD37lu5nmAC950TzlPgyFgasi4IXUgVHxOSFfk7H8Q

Former Hearts youth player Marc Leonard has revealed he wanted out of Riccarton because of the style of play.

The 17-year-old midfielder left for Brighton and Hove Albion last year, less than 12 months after signing his first professional contract with Hearts.

Manager Craig Levein admitted he did not agree with the decision but Leonard has explained his reasons after earning his first Scotland Under-19 call-up.

"I really liked Craig Levein. He was director of football and was fantastic with all of us. We all respected him," said Leonard. "As soon as I made the step up it was more about results and the style of play changed. I'm not sure the style suited me.

"As a midfielder, it wasn't what I wanted my game based around. I just didn't feel I was involved as much as I could have been within that style of play at Hearts.

"The level at Brighton is also so much higher in every age-group. Coming down, I had to improve on my physical attributes and I had to catch up with the guys who had always done it.

"It took a while to settle into the new environment and routine, but now I feel in the best place I could be. I'm bigger, stronger and faster, so it's all coming together now."

Leonard is living away from home but his father and grandfather regularly make the gruelling 18-hour round trip to England's south coast to see him play

"After leaving Hearts I had six months staying at home waking up to mum and dad. Then I was down there," he told The Sun. "You'd be doing what you love but little things like walking past your family and so on were no longer there. Now I have fitted in here and the club is so friendly.

"It's about becoming a better human as well as a better footballer. Dad does the nine-hour drive to Brighton with my Papa. They'll stay the night then head back. Dad goes everywhere to watch me.

"I'm really grateful. It helps seeing your family on the sidelines and gives you a boost."

Scotland Under-19s are heading to Spain to play two friendlies against Japan. "I was buzzing when I got the call-up. I just can't wait for the games," said Leonard.

29 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

This is in todays Evening news and seems to suggest that we do not play the same type of football from top to bottom as we were told the new philosophy was to do exactly that. Apologies if the formatting and fonts have gone haywire.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-style-didn-t-suit-me-marc-leonard-lifts-lid-on-tynecastle-exit-1-4997419?fbclid=IwAR1MBMk93eVZSvCNEfD37lu5nmAC950TzlPgyFgasi4IXUgVHxOSFfk7H8Q

Former Hearts youth player Marc Leonard has revealed he wanted out of Riccarton because of the style of play.

The 17-year-old midfielder left for Brighton and Hove Albion last year, less than 12 months after signing his first professional contract with Hearts.

Manager Craig Levein admitted he did not agree with the decision but Leonard has explained his reasons after earning his first Scotland Under-19 call-up.

"I really liked Craig Levein. He was director of football and was fantastic with all of us. We all respected him," said Leonard. "As soon as I made the step up it was more about results and the style of play changed. I'm not sure the style suited me.

"As a midfielder, it wasn't what I wanted my game based around. I just didn't feel I was involved as much as I could have been within that style of play at Hearts.

"The level at Brighton is also so much higher in every age-group. Coming down, I had to improve on my physical attributes and I had to catch up with the guys who had always done it.

"It took a while to settle into the new environment and routine, but now I feel in the best place I could be. I'm bigger, stronger and faster, so it's all coming together now."

Leonard is living away from home but his father and grandfather regularly make the gruelling 18-hour round trip to England's south coast to see him play

"After leaving Hearts I had six months staying at home waking up to mum and dad. Then I was down there," he told The Sun. "You'd be doing what you love but little things like walking past your family and so on were no longer there. Now I have fitted in here and the club is so friendly.

"It's about becoming a better human as well as a better footballer. Dad does the nine-hour drive to Brighton with my Papa. They'll stay the night then head back. Dad goes everywhere to watch me.

"I'm really grateful. It helps seeing your family on the sidelines and gives you a boost."

Scotland Under-19s are heading to Spain to play two friendlies against Japan. "I was buzzing when I got the call-up. I just can't wait for the games," said Leonard.

Even a 17 year old can see through him when it would have been obviously easier to stay at home with his family. 

18 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Even a 17 year old can see through him when it would have been obviously easier to stay at home with his family. 

Craig isn't going anywhere as he has work to Finnish. This is his time to show he has the know how to place the current squad on a higher level in  the SPL. A lot of work has been put into the foundations towards building the  squad this season he intends to see it through. Whether you are for or against his tenure he is staying. I'm not sure how it's going to pan out can only hope the side overcomes issues and get points.

I would like him to retire now but he wont till next summer when he becomes chairman of the club. 

39 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He’s done **** all down there that he couldn’t have done up here, and ultimately he’ll struggle to get the game time he needs to kick on. Much like McGhee and King, he’s trying to pretend reserve and junior football down south is comparable to top flight up here. That aim afraid is total pish, and when he heads back up the road in a few seasons, there’ll be nowhere else to hide from that reality. Terrible move by the kid. Shame.