Man City target Aaron Hickey in £1.5m deal

afanderson33

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

Hickey is a great potential left back for anyone.

For his age he is unbelievably good, if still slight.

I also don't doubt that Man city and HMFC have a "relationship" - that much is evident- there are bonds there and they will benefit us more than them, of that I am sure.

£1.5 million for a young player is pretty good, but in a couple of years could either be much higher, or negligible depending on how he goes.

Thems the risks

Pretty much what we got for Naysmith 20 years ago, if he was English or Spanish he would be worth ten times that but he’s not. Not many City graduates break through but LB is not a strong position for them I suppose, not just us then.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• AJAMBO

• Spellczech

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Pretty much what we got for Naysmith 20 years ago, if he was English or Spanish he would be worth ten times that but he’s not. Not many City graduates break through but LB is not a strong position for them I suppose, not just us then.

We were also racked with debt back then, and had to sell for whatever was offered most of the time, inflation since then has been pretty vast. On the flip side of that though, Naysmith had more experience at a higher level.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

A Player, who is under 18 years of age at the date of signing as a Professional Player upon the Registration

Form may only be registered for a period not exceeding 3 years. Any clause referring to a longer

duration within the relative agreement between the Player and the Club shall not be recognised and in

such circumstances, the Player’s registration shall cease after 3 years, from the date of the signing as a

Professional Player upon the Registration Form.

So at best he will be signed until 2022 if he signed it recently and it was a three year deal. At worst a two year deal running out in 2020 if signed May 2018.

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

though if he does sign for Man city I expect they will have signed some super star to address their "weakness"

Hickey of course faces the prospect of being behind Robertson ( value £80million + I would imagine) and Tierney (£25 million) for years

Pasquale for King
Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

We were also racked with debt back then, and had to sell for whatever was offered most of the time, inflation since then has been pretty vast. On the flip side of that though, Naysmith had more experience at a higher level.

I think that’s why they wanted to loan him back, hopefully until 2021 if it goes ahead.

So at best he will be signed until 2022 if he signed it recently and it was a three year deal. At worst a two year deal running out in 2020 if signed May 2018.

Yes.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

though if he does sign for Man city I expect they will have signed some super star to address their "weakness"

Hickey of course faces the prospect of being behind Robertson ( value £80million + I would imagine) and Tierney (£25 million) for years

We all forget he can play right back too, he could play there no problem for us in Smiths absence on Saturday.

Yes Pep does like splashing out on fullbacks, still got Zincenko and the often injured Mendy playing there though.

Edited by Pasquale for King

I think that’s why they wanted to loan him back, hopefully until 2021 if it goes ahead.

That, along with a loan deal for their new Japanese player, and a transfer fee in excess of a development compo amount, I would class as us making the absolute best we can out of a bad situation. I think this boy is going to be a real star. the club would have to be commended for brokering a deal like that, where we could have lost him for a few hundred grand and nothing else next season.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

That, along with a loan deal for their new Japanese player, and a transfer fee in excess of a development compo amount, I would class as us making the absolute best we can out of a bad situation. I think this boy is going to be a real star. the club would have to be commended for brokering a deal like that, where we could have lost him for a few hundred grand and nothing else next season.

Let’s hope we get what we are due for him, a link up with City can do us no harm either. He still has a lot to learn obviously but hopefully he will go to the top, and earn us a lovely sell on fee along the way.

The Meshino signed for Man City for just under a million £s. They claim to of had Hickey in their sight's from SCF v Celtic. Hickey is on the verge of a fantastic career he has only started first team football it's in His and Hearts best interest to continue building and playing at least a full reason in the SPL. If he continues on his path then we may see him leave with Ryotaro to Man City next summer who are a already building a future side. The boy will be a year older wiser and maybe have a winners medal with Hearts ( League Cup please ) to add to his life  achievements. I wouldn't sell him for the amount mentioned but the Meshino fee tells the story as to the ammount of money Man City are paying on the cheap. 

2 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

The Meshino signed for Man City for just under a million £s. They claim to of had Hickey in their sight's from SCF v Celtic. Hickey is on the verge of a fantastic career he has only started first team football it's in His and Hearts best interest to continue building and playing at least a full reason in the SPL. If he continues on his path then we may see him leave with Ryotaro to Man City next summer who are a already building a future side. The boy will be a year older wiser and maybe have a winners medal with Hearts ( League Cup please ) to add to his life  achievements. I wouldn't sell him for the amount mentioned but the Meshino fee tells the story as to the ammount of money Man City are paying on the cheap. 

Or a lot of money for a prospect who has not played a dozen games yet.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Let’s hope we get what we are due for him, a link up with City can do us no harm either. He still has a lot to learn obviously but hopefully he will go to the top, and earn us a lovely sell on fee along the way.

Tht's all it would be though, wouldn't it? Hope. Players get injured and sometimes sell-on fees get you **** all. The only thing guaranteed in that deal as per the Sun, is the money. For that reason, I'm hoping he's guessing at the fee involved. I'd want more than that.

1 minute ago, benny said:

Honest question for you, mate. Do you think Aaron Hickey's career is going to stall? I think he is (ironically given his stature) head and shoulders above anything we have produced in years. The guy is fast, skilful, tenacious and two footed.

12 minutes ago, benny said:

Theirs no way we're growling for money we have benefactors who back us. We are his career. Money isn't everything when your testing and using your product. If you sell and it's a dud then said contact thinks you ripped them off and all potents deals go with them. Saying no for 1-3 seasons sends a message to the sqaud the fans and other clubs you don't need to sell at them prices and you are raising players the correct caring way. Suiters will be in a bidding war and its Hearts as his carer who will decide his fate. Let it build £20M is a good price to put on his head. If he does everything he's asked to by us his Baby club.

Edited by AJAMBO

Just now, AJAMBO said:

Theirs no way we're growling for money we have benefactors who back us. We are his career. Money isn't everything when your testing and using your product. If you sell and it's a did then said contact thinks you ripped them off and all potents deals go with them. Saying no for 1-3 seasons sends a message to the sqaud the fans and other clubs you don't need to sell at them prices and you are raising players the correct caring way. Suiters will be in a bidding war and its Hearts as his carer who will decide his fate. Let it build £20 is a good price to put on his head. If he does everything he's asked to by us his Baby club.

Sadly, if he wants to go, we would be cutting off our nose to spite our face, if we rejected their offer. As irritating as that is.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Tht's all it would be though, wouldn't it? Hope. Players get injured and sometimes sell-on fees get you **** all. The only thing guaranteed in that deal as per the Sun, is the money. For that reason, I'm hoping he's guessing at the fee involved. I'd want more than that.

Just a bit rubbish that teams like Hibs, Celtic and Rangers have prospered with sell on fees and we haven’t. Aberdeen fans are a bit peeved that Ryan Fraser hasn’t been bought yet for the same reason. Paterson is our best hope just now but was injured again, hope he has a good season for Cardiff now he’s fit.

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just a bit rubbish that teams like Hibs, Celtic and Rangers have prospered with sell on fees and we haven’t. Aberdeen fans are a bit peeved that Ryan Fraser hasn’t been bought yet for the same reason. Paterson is our best hope just now but was injured again, hope he has a good season for Cardiff now he’s fit.

Yes, I agree. We have not done as well out of transfer fees as we could have in recent years, and it’s annoying. Now when we actually produce a player who looks absolutely outstanding, we face the prospect of losing him for not much more than we got for an Osman Sow that was held together with sticky back plastic and PVA glue, and in the last few months of his contract. Yes there are add ins involved and they help soften the blow, but I’d rather have the hard cash personally. If we can sell a player for five or six million in the next few seasons, we could totally transform our entire first team squad. Sell a couple of players for those sort of fees, and we move up a level. Sell a player for the sort of fees being quoted for McKenna, and we are suddenly looking at potential access to further increases in revenue by making progress in the Europa. Finally producing a player as good as Hickey is, and only making £1.5m would feel like an almighty boot in the nuts to me. 

And yes, before everyone piles in with I don’t ant to sell players, I don’t care about the money. Yes, I don’t want to either, but unfortunately it’s a business now, and the only way we will ever start competing at a slightly higher level than we are currently at, will be through having more money to build a better squad.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

8 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Sadly, if he wants to go, we would be cutting off our nose to spite our face, if we rejected their offer. As irritating as that is.

Aaron is brighter than his years and peers he knows Hearts inside out and is a first choice on match day and in all our predictions here. Why would he go to a new club to play in their second side as he watches a potential City colleague loaned to his current side. For money status at his age experience. That's just wrong a bad deal especially adding the potential loan back. Its all done without Hickey budging we get cash and two players . While were building a side who does that ?

Hibs that's who. Thankfully we rate him higher than what's quoted how much has it cost us to reer Hickey. ?

5 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

At this ‘stage’ £2m + a sell on fee/loaned back would be a very good deal tbh. Bit silly to pretend otherwise. 

Ive got complete confidence Hickey could go on to play at a really high level but realistically we’re talking about a kid that’s played half a dozen games for a team badly out of form in a poor league and he’s only just got into the national u19 squad.

Given we’ve been burned in the past with Driver, Walker, Paterson etc either getting crocked or left for pennies it’d be a bit daft to do the same again so quickly.

For the record Im not saying ‘sell him’, only that I could understand us considering it.

Good post, it would be an excellent deal especially if we get Hickey back in loan for 6-18 months and it builds on the relationship with City whereby we get players on loan every season. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yes, I agree. We have not done as well out of transfer fees as we could have in recent years, and it’s annoying. Now when we actually produce a player who looks absolutely outstanding, we face the prospect of losing him for not much more than we got for an Osman Sow that was held together with sticky back plastic and PVA glue, and in the last few months of his contract. Yes there are add ins involved and they help soften the blow, but I’d rather have the hard cash personally. If we can sell a player for five or six million in the next few seasons, we could totally transform our entire first team squad. Sell a couple of players for those sort of fees, and we move up a level. Sell a player for the sort of fees being quoted for McKenna, and we are suddenly looking at potential access to further increases in revenue by making progress in the Europa. Finally producing a player as good as Hickey is, and only making £1.5m would feel like an almighty boot in the nuts to me. 

And yes, before everyone piles in with I don’t ant to sell players, I don’t care about the money. Yes, I don’t want to either, but unfortunately it’s a business now, and the only way we will ever start competing at a slightly higher level than we are currently at, will be through having more money to build a better squad.

Definitely, getting top dollar for players would help us enormously going forward. 

5 hours ago, I.T.K said:

The problem is after a season or two he could leave on free/development cost which is bad for Hearts. 

If Aaron wants to extend his contract that would be best for us. But if City and Celtic are sniffing about I doubt we could compete with wages and it might be worth cashing in.    

Wages are probably £600 per week versus £6,000 per week. Hard for him, or his parents, to turn that down. 

7 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

Aaron is brighter than his years and peers he knows Hearts inside out and is a first choice on match day and in all our predictions here. Why would he go to a new club to play in their second side as he watches a potential City colleague loaned to his current side. For money status at his age experience. That's just wrong a bad deal especially adding the potential loan back. Its all done without Hickey budging we get cash and two players . While were building a side who does that ?

Hibs that's who. Thankfully we rate him higher than what's quoted how much has it cost us to reer Hickey. ?

I hope you are right. I’d love to see him stay and leave for more money in a couple of years. I just seriously doubt that’s what he will choose to do. Would love to be wrong about that however. You speak as though you know him, so that would make you far better places to judge. I’d be shocked if he didn’t want to move on though. Pleasantly shocked, but shocked nonetheless. 👍

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Every single one of them has played first team football for us as teenagers. Some will make it at a lower level than Hearts, some will make it at a comparable level to Hearts, and a very small number will go a level or two beyond Hearts. That's how it's always been in the past. Although you would hope (and I kind of believe) that more will fall in to the last two categories now going forward.

I also missed out the King brothers from the second list, and Henderson and C. Smith from the first list.

Only Paterson comes to mind who possibly plays regularly for a better or even comparable level to Hearts. Otherwise Hickey may or may not. In all those years there is not one player that we have developed that I wish had remained at the club or come back to hurt us.

28 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Hibs that's who. Thankfully we rate him higher than what's quoted how much has it cost us to reer Hickey. ? Add the potential loan back plus players loaned to us chat is If. Its not a silly option that deal is hearsay chat. How much has it cost to get Hickey up to the level of a M+ player. Since when were City or anyone ruling the roost on a players value when they are clearly looking to sign top academy present and past stars on the cheap in many countries. Its legal but sneaky Pete money. Hickey's advisors Hearts and his parents will know Aaron is 3 years younger than Ryotaro who is being loaned to us with a cheap market value. If he was my son he would be doing the dishes cutting the grass and taking the dog a walk while he learns life skills gets out his bed and studies. When the right deal happens they will know its time to let him go. selling him for a few swallys and a leaving party on a Saturday night isn't worth it.

1 minute ago, AJAMBO said:

Hibs that's who. Thankfully we rate him higher than what's quoted how much has it cost us to reer Hickey. ? Add the potential loan back plus players loaned to us chat is If. Its not a silly option that deal is hearsay chat. How much has it cost to get Hickey up to the level of a M+ player. Since when were City or anyone ruling the roost on a players value when they are clearly looking to sign top academy present and past stars on the cheap in many countries. Its legal but sneaky Pete money. Hickey's advisors Hearts and his parents will know Aaron is 3 years younger than Ryotaro who is being loaned to us with a cheap market value. If he was my son he would be doing the dishes cutting the grass and taking the dog a walk while he learns life skills gets out his bed and studies. When the right deal happens they will know its time to let him go. selling him for a few swallys and a leaving party on a Saturday night isn't worth it.

Replied to your first post above. I would love you to be correct. 

Hickey might not want to leave for a few seasons yet .

Lets get him signed on a 6 year deal and is he continues to progress he will go for serious money .

Bazzas right boot

A Player, who is under 18 years of age at the date of signing as a Professional Player upon the Registration

Form may only be registered for a period not exceeding 3 years. Any clause referring to a longer

duration within the relative agreement between the Player and the Club shall not be recognised and in

such circumstances, the Player’s registration shall cease after 3 years, from the date of the signing as a

Professional Player upon the Registration Form.

Cheers. 

2 years 11 month contract on the table for the young man! 

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

It was just an after thought. I forget noone is allowed to criticise the board. After all everything is coming up roses with the team. Ann said so in her last statement and CL is doing a wonderful job :unsure:

Criticise the board when it's warranted. 

However you are jumping to the conclusion that the board would accept a low ball offer for a young player.

Why do you think we would jump at this low offer ?

Does the club have history for this ?

NaturalOrder74

I’d say them buying him then loaning him back to us is better value than developing him then the old firm unsettle him and put in a low bid, he runs out the contract and heads off to glasgow or ends up like walker and we have to sell him for a low price just to keep the old firm away 

4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Replied to your first post above. I would love you to be ccorrec

I edited it. Thanks for the headf k withe cash plus two players loaned chat. It's bonkers m8 not impossible its highly probable . its not official though is it and I'm sure a contract till 2022 confirms it. Aaron is ours to shape into an outstanding Hearts player like his fellow age group. He is the start of the new breed of world football idols in years to come his footie card will be in the world top ten players FIFA greats. If he is sold and he steps into a top club  Real Madrid Torino Dortmund Ajax Man City / UTD  Liverpool first team I'm going to burst for the boy what a player I see him in the future more free role attack midfielder

Jason Dufner

Sort of player we should be signing on a 4 or 5 year deal and expecting serious cash for in a year or two. 

If the boy Turnball is worth £3 million Hickey will be worth a lot more in a couple years time

25 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

I’d say them buying him then loaning him back to us is better value than developing him then the old firm unsettle him and put in a low bid, he runs out the contract and heads off to glasgow or ends up like walker and we have to sell him for a low price just to keep the old firm away 

Theres a massive difference in the size of the clubs interest it wasn't an official bid it was a chit chat in the Orium with agent Man City. The start of a potential partnership keeps Gary Naismith in his new job as loans manager Ryotaro being first in the door with 2 more to come in. A contract till 2022 gives us plenty power on who pays if we decide its to Aaron's betterment we are in control us legal until we sell and no ones even made a proper bid yet so I ll shut it.

Honest question for you, mate. Do you think Aaron Hickey's career is going to stall? I think he is (ironically given his stature) head and shoulders above anything we have produced in years. The guy is fast, skilful, tenacious and two footed.

Hope not but we have seen it all before.

A huge gamble for us to turn down 1.5 million.

A huge gamble for the lad to turn down a massive increase in his wages.

I would imagine when the best team in the premiership comes calling it would be hard for Hearts to turn it down.

Then the lad has another decision to make.

Might end up best for all take the money.A season long loan and a sell on clause.

FarmerTweedy
8 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Academy has produced how many regular first team players exactly? And costs just under a million a year to run. 

It's quite staggering that there are still people clueless enough to think an academy that we only started to rebuild from scratch five years ago should have already produced a bunch of established first team regulars. 

Are Man City going to walk away from dealing with us going forward if we knock back selling them Hickey?

Because thats not any sort of partnership or positive relationship. 

Anyway, I'm of this view:

We don't need the money. If Hickey keeps going he could be worth double, triple that in the next couple of years. I don't think its worth losing him now for just £1.5m. We should not take the first offer we get just because it has million in it. Guaranteed if Man City are looking at him, every single EPL club will be too. Lets give it at least to the end of the season and see who's keen. Also worth considering the lad left Celtic because he wanted to play first team football. If he has confidence in his ability he might think give it a year or two are reevaluate. 

The development fee factor also plays into opportunity cost. If he's such a special talent we should get a decent bit if he was to walk on the development fee cost and we'd at least have that which by the time that moment rolls round (IF) would be somewhere around £500k. Honestly, i'd trade £1m for cup runs, 3rd place and a crack at Europe over the next 3 seasons. We'd make that back and then some. 

FarmerTweedy
7 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

If he was a success at City he wouldn't be leaving so having a sell on clause matters not a jot.

These days, plenty of players that aren't successes at the big English clubs get sold for fees way into the millions! So a sizeable sell on clause could bring in a very significant sum even if he was to move on from them having not established himself there as a first team regular.

I'd still rather we turned down the reported deal though!

RenfrewHearts
7 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Just over heard the office hooped demon talking on the phone.

Quote "I see Man City are offering £1.5m for that wee skinny guy that plays LB for the Hearts, we should match that as we're a much bigger club and he'd obviously want to come to us ahead of them (citeh)"

Talk about deluded

:lol::lol::lol: 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We all forget he can play right back too, he could play there no problem for us in Smiths absence on Saturday.

Yes Pep does like splashing out on fullbacks, still got Zincenko and the often injured Mendy playing there though.

It has been touted on here that Hickey could  play RB in place of Smith this weekend as he is two footed.  Indeed someone (you?) suggested that CL should have moved him there on Sunday with White coming on at LB.  The fact that he can play on both sides will surely enhance his worth.

NaturalOrder74
56 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

Theres a massive difference in the size of the clubs interest it wasn't an official bid it was a chit chat in the Orium with agent Man City. The start of a potential partnership keeps Gary Naismith in his new job as loans manager Ryotaro being first in the door with 2 more to come in. A contract till 2022 gives us plenty power on who pays if we decide its to Aaron's betterment we are in control us legal until we sell and no ones even made a proper bid yet so I ll shut it.

Its all just speculation at this point mate I’m far from an expert on the subject it’s interesting to hear other opinions on it 

avhudtheteeshirt

Can players not sign a new contract when still in an old contract????

If so, the more he plays, and the better he gets, the more his sell on fee goes up!!!!

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Circa £1.5 mill for an 18 years old in basically his first season is pretty decent stuff tbf . 

It he excels in the next few months.  With Soton and possibly other clubs looking in there's a good chance that could rise . With a sell on clause and performance add ons I wouldn't say we would be getting  shafted . Far from it imo . 

8 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Circa £1.5 mill for an 18 years old in basically his first season is pretty decent stuff tbf . 

It he excels in the next few months.  With Soton and possibly other clubs looking in there's a good chance that could rise . With a sell on clause and performance add ons I wouldn't say we would be getting  shafted . Far from it imo . 

FarmerTweedy
9 hours ago, dustybin said:

Can't we ever just tell a club NOT FOR SALE! 

Maybe in whatever fantasy world you spend most of your time in, but not in the real world. 

7 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

If this happens he will be loaned back out 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

It has been touted on here that Hickey could  play RB in place of Smith this weekend as he is two footed.  Indeed someone (you?) suggested that CL should have moved him there on Sunday with White coming on at LB.  The fact that he can play on both sides will surely enhance his worth.

It wasn’t me that said that but it wouldn’t surprise a few then if he played there on Saturday if Smith is unavailable. Being able to play both sides would surely definitely make him worth more and he might end up playing for Scotland there. I’m not sure moving him there on Sunday would’ve changed much as they were attacking both sides with long diagonals and got all three goals from them.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Not sure if anyone has said on the thread, but why don't we include a buy back price in case it doesn't work out for him at all down south AND a sell on if it does, yet just doesn't make it at City but then moves to another "big" team?

Edited by Lovecraft

Tom Hardy’s Dug

People getting overly erect about all of this.

First of all defenders are cheaper than midfielders who are cheaper than strikers.

Second, Hickey hasn’t even got 20 first team games to his name yet.

Third, he is playing in Scotland for a team outside Glasgow.

Fourth, he is 17.

Even if we were offered £1.5m (and who knows if that includes add ons, a two year loan back etc) that sort of sum is astonishing and there is absolutely no way that any other player in the UK playing left back for 10 games for,

say a first division team in England,

would be getting bought for £10m.

Absolute rockets on here.

Hickey looks fantastic but at this stage, this very very early stage could go McMullan or Robertson. Even Robertson had to go to Hull first.

IMO pushing that up to £2m with a 2 year loan back, plus add ons depending on appearances etc and a sell on fee (Man City failures can still get £1 transfers) and a couple of top loans from Man City player would be a cracking bit of business.

We are already getting a player who would beat our biggest transfer fee in for at least a season on loan.

There is a much bigger picture in play here and fans getting indignant about a potential  £1.5m purchase for a 17 year old when we still get to keep the lad playing for us on loan is absurd.

Also remember that English teams have to pay **** all development fees for our players at end of contract.

Also - again bigger picture so may be a stretch for some - but our academy producing somebody that gets on Man City’s radar early doors will only benefit the academy in getting other top quality youngsters in.

It all seems pretty straightforward to me.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug