Man City target Aaron Hickey in £1.5m deal

afanderson33

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Luke Shaw broke into Southhampton's team at 16 and played 60 games over 3 seasons or so then went for 30m. The key thing there was they got him on a 5 year contract the year before he went to Man U. Left sided players are very in demand. I'd hope for a lot more than 1.5m for Hickey on evidence so far.

The difference here is England v Scotland ☹️ And if Hickey was down their his price would be a lot higher 👍🏻

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• AJAMBO

• Spellczech

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, tynietigers said:

The difference here is England v Scotland ☹️ And if Hickey was down their his price would be a lot higher 👍🏻

The Tierney fee suggests things could change. We're well within our rights to counter with 5m or something based on that if Man City really do rate him highly.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The Tierney fee suggests things could change. We're well within our rights to counter with 5m or something based on that if Man City really do rate him highly.

I think Tierney is very overrated, but unfortunately the two players are not comparable. Tierney has played at a far higher level. That’s what the buying team would cite. There’s also the wages argument, although I don’t advocate that shit personally.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I think Tierney is very overrated, but unfortunately the two players are not comparable. Tierney has played at a far higher level. That’s what the buying team would cite. There’s also the wages argument, although I don’t advocate that shit personally.

That's why it's 5m vs 25m. We've seen fees like that for teenagers with a handful of games. It's really how highly a club like Man City rate someone like Hickey and how brave we are at sticking to a higher valuation.

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

Yes but they obviously believe this lad is going to be the bomb 🤔 I did post on the thread 2/3 weeks ago that Man City were going to put an offer in, and they have it’s just not enough I think for Hearts to agree unless there is hidden incentives which will all come apparent 👍🏻

Its nowhere near enough IMO, most talented young players I’ve ever seen at hearts.. sticks out like a sore thumb.. he’s going to get to a very high level.. hope you are correct on incentives

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The Tierney fee isn't that big when you consider that Sheffield Utd paid £20 million for Mcburnie. An English Championship team would have probably got more.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That's why it's 5m vs 25m. We've seen fees like that for teenagers with a handful of games. It's really how highly a club like Man City rate someone like Hickey and how brave we are at sticking to a higher valuation.

I agree with you to be honest. I hate the phrase, but... ‘anyone who can’t see how good a player Hickey is, doesn’t know... ‘ etc.

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

One it’s Celtic and you double/triple when you go their 🙄 even get noticed by Scotland 🤪 and playing in Champions league adds value.

Another thing to consider here, is in some cases, English clubs just don’t take Scottish Clubs outside the OF seriously enough. I can’t remember the exact details, but I half remember a story where an English manager approached the Rangers or Celtic manager to ask about a player from another Scottish club. 😄

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I agree with you to be honest. I hate the phrase, but... ‘anyone who can’t see how good a player Hickey is, doesn’t know... ‘ etc.

A lot to be excited about with our youth system right now.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

One it’s Celtic and you double/triple when you go their 🙄 even get noticed by Scotland 🤪 and playing in Champions league adds value.

The Celtic thing is only important because clubs know they can afford to turndown lower bids. If HIckey is that good, a club will pay to be the one that gets him though.

7 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Ironically enough (or not) he never stood out in the reserves as being a future star in the immediate future. 

Maybe that's just the 'curse' of the fullback playing behind Anthony Macd/Cal M or beside Chris Hamilton etc, and is maybe a bad reflection on the quality of the opposition right wingers/midfielders.

10 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

The Tierney fee isn't that big when you consider that Sheffield Utd paid £20 million for Mcburnie. An English Championship team would have probably got more.

I thought £25m was pretty low in today’s market as well. 

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

A lot to be excited about with our youth system right now.

Too right. I just hope we get the most out of it; both in terms of players playing well for us over a number of seasons, and transfer fees later on. (A) large transfer fee/s of £5-10m would allow us to absolutely transform our squad, now that most of the large capital infrastructure jobs are complete.

2 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Ironically enough (or not) he never stood out in the reserves as being a future star in the immediate future. 

Maybe that's just the 'curse' of the fullback playing behind Anthony Macd/Cal M or beside Chris Hamilton etc, and is maybe a bad reflection on the quality of the opposition right wingers/midfielders.

Don’t see enough reserve football to comment, mate. I’ve seen the majority of his first team minutes though, and he is an absolute standout.

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Don’t see enough reserve football to comment, mate. I’ve seen the majority of his first team minutes though, and he is an absolute standout.

No arguments on that front,  he's certainly stepped up and looks very comfortable in the first team.

I'm delighted for him.  😀

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Too right. I just hope we get the most out of it; both in terms of players playing well for us over a number of seasons, and transfer fees later on. (A) large transfer fee/s of £5-10m would allow us to absolutely transform our squad, now that most of the large capital infrastructure jobs are complete.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility, again assuming Hicky is as good as we hope. If we've got a good rapport with the likes of Man City and Man Utd, we can give them first dibs if they come up with the money instead of them risking losing him in a free for all.

It’s a difficult one: what would they offer for a kid who has played 7 games for an English Championship side (a comparable level to Hearts imo)? 

We can see Hickeys ability is top notch but  it is still way too early to see him as a dead cert for stardom. 

Loose change for Man City, and it bolsters their UK-born contingent, but I doubt they will pay over what they consider a fair price - they will move onto someone else. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Everyone is playing fantasy football here. Luke Shaw’s 5 year contract at Southampton would have been for something like £50k a week.

It is not like for like

Tierney isn’t like for like

Shaw isn’t like for like.

We are not in the EPL and Hickey will not get Champs League experience.

People need to screw the nut before the obvious happens - and I can see the set up already.

“How did Hearts **** up so much and only get £1.5m for Hickey? Budge knows nothing about football and Levein is a twat.”

For a club like Hearta to get 7 figures for BARELY a 17 year old with less than 25 games to his name (say by Xmas) would be astonishing business - particularly if it sets up a friends with benefits type relationship with Man City.

People really need to calm down here.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug
30 minutes ago, savage said:

1.5 million would be excellent business for us if there are add on expenses such as first team appearances or sell on fees

Spot on:

Sell on %

First team start payment

50 games played payment.

In named EPL squad that wins League bonus

In Champs League squad that wins CL bonus

All these sorts of things have been in contracts before and could be with Hickey.

I don't think I'd be interested in selling him for £1.5m. It's not a game changing amount and wouldn't have a tangible impact on our squad. If he continues playing as he is he will be worth double by end of the season. Show some resolve, this is small change to city, we might not get an asset like this again for a long time. It's a chance to make a marked difference on our club (paying transfer fees etc), not get lost in the day to day. 

The worry would be his contract runs down and we get minimal amounts. Decent fee for someone so young and a good relationship with the best team in the uk

Tom Hardy’s Dug
15 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

The worry would be his contract runs down and we get minimal amounts. Decent fee for someone so young and a good relationship with the best team in the uk

Or he goes off the boil and/or gets injured like Cochrane. Who I seem to recall was our last “not less than £3m” teenager....

Stephen Muddie

Sterling effort here Tom Hardy's Dug, but I'd be horrified to sell for 1.5 and would rather keep a player of his quality for as long as possible in order to have the best chance of on-field profit, er, I mean success.