Man City target Aaron Hickey in £1.5m deal

afanderson33

10 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Why are AB/CL going to accept it? What history of low ball offers have they accepted?

Idiot comment as per.

It was just an after thought. I forget noone is allowed to criticise the board. After all everything is coming up roses with the team. Ann said so in her last statement and CL is doing a wonderful job :unsure:

Edited by Marvin

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• AJAMBO

• Spellczech

Sexton Hardcastle
Just now, Marvin said:

It was just and after thought. I forget noone is allowed to criticise the board. After all everything is coming up roses with the team. Ann said so in her last statement and CL is doing a wonderful job :unsure:

Figured you would back your absurd comment up with some facts. No surprise.

Back to writing players off after 15 minutes game time you go kid.

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

It was just and after thought. I forget noone is allowed to criticise the board. After all everything is coming up roses with the team. Ann said so in her last statement and CL is doing a wonderful job :unsure:

Answer the question .

You criticised the board for something they haven't done . 

4 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Back to writing players off after 15 minutes game time you go kid.

Who have I written off? 

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It was just an after thought. I forget noone is allowed to criticise the board. After all everything is coming up roses with the team. Ann said so in her last statement and CL is doing a wonderful job :unsure:

Sexton asked you a question.

Why don't you answer it instead of setting off with that tired old shite.

The player and the academy should take the offer as a compliment, move on, and expect an improved offer way down the track because he really is some player for his age.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Sexton asked you a question.

Why don't you answer it instead of setting off with that tired old shite.

Sexton criticised me for writing off players but I've not done that. Or if my comments on Berra who imo is finished weren't acceptable.

Ah fcuk it need to get back to work. 

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

This. 

He's a Hearts academy product. He spent about a year with celtic. He left celtic and came back to us because he felt he'd have a better chance at developing here. Anyway before his year with them he was in our academy. He made the right choice to return as he's already developing and improving as a player with us rapidly. And he's starting to atract the attention of other clubs. He got his brake with us. And he's probably going to make us a fortune. 

On the Intrest. I'm not worried at all. As with Souttar. We don't need to sell. And we won't until we're happy too. Hopefully we get a good 10 million for him. But we'll have to wait and see!

Slightly different than Souttar in two ways, he’s not under contract and there are teams who have registered an interest.

Young Hickey will have agents banging down his door , all telling he needs to move on now.... “maximise his earning potential “ .... it’s a short career etc etc

I fear he will be gone by the end of January, probably  will develop a mysterious injury at the start of September 

Edited by Jambo647

2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

The player and the academy should take the offer as a compliment, move on, and expect an improved offer way down the track because he really is some player for his age.

Agree. It's not often Man City come calling to Scotland. If it's true, then he obviously ticks a few boxes for them which is good for highlighting the quality of our young players.

The message from hearts to him should be, see, here you will play regularly and develop while being noticed by the biggest teams. Itll be great for his confidence and he should know that game time and experience at his age is what is needed, rather than a bigger salary and being lost in development leagues. Time is certainly on his side.

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Sexton criticised me for writing off players but I've not done that. Or if my comments on Berra who imo is finished weren't acceptable.

Ah fcuk it need to get back to work. 

Below is the question you were asked

Why are AB/CL going to accept it? What history of low ball offers have they accepted?

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Slightly different than Souttar in two ways, he’s not under contract and there are teams who have registered an interest.

Who isn't under contract? Hickey?

12 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Agree. It's not often Man City come calling to Scotland. If it's true, then he obviously ticks a few boxes for them which is good for highlighting the quality of our young players.

The message from hearts to him should be, see, here you will play regularly and develop while being noticed by the biggest teams. Itll be great for his confidence and he should know that game time and experience at his age is what is needed, rather than a bigger salary and being lost in development leagues. Time is certainly on his side.

Agree....The young chap has the world at his feet for someone of his age. If Man City are looking at him then the player and the club are doing everything right.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Who isn't under contract? Hickey?

Souttar has a long contract, Hickey hasn’t as far as anyone can tell.https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/squads/academy/academy-team/aaron-hickey

As it’s been said he could leave in the summer and all we would get is a development fee, if you had bothered to read the comments.

E9F04E4D-002B-42D1-ABD9-092498AB3B00.png

1 hour ago, dustybin said:

So the academy is meant to help us in the playing side rather than bump up the cash to buy more defenders of the Levein style. 

Bit of both I would say, no?

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

I think the deal would involve leaving him here for another season and then go down.

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Thats the one we are talking about. How are you not getting this? If we make money from him, then he’s proven the academy is working. 

If it was working we would have needed to sell an academy player for a million pounds every year since its inception. That is to break even. No?

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Souttar has a long contract, Hickey hasn’t as far as anyone can tell.https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/squads/academy/academy-team/aaron-hickey

As it’s been said he could leave in the summer and all we would get is a development fee, if you had bothered to read the comments.

E9F04E4D-002B-42D1-ABD9-092498AB3B00.png

"if you had bothered to read the comments" - bit dickish, no?

You said he isn't under contract, not he's on a short contract. I wouldn't have asked if you'd been accurate. 

1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

If it was working we would have needed to sell an academy player for a million pounds every year since its inception. That is to break even. No?

Are you talking about when the academy was first built at the start of Levein’s first tenure, after JJ was sacked? Or when Levein and Arnott rejigged it?

2 hours ago, dustybin said:

Aye, let's just cash in on hickey and then the sale will help Levein to buy the quality we need, then if they are exceptional they too will be sold, we are a club not looking for success but simply to be a selling club only. 

If we buy and sell players at the correct time we will be come a successful club. 

doctor jambo
6 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Not really , it provides cheap recruits for the first team. Anything else is a bonus

3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Are you talking about when the academy was first built at the start of Levein’s first tenure, after JJ was sacked? Or when Levein and Arnott rejigged it?

Lets say the last three years.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

"if you had bothered to read the comments" - bit dickish, no?

You said he isn't under contract, not he's on a short contract. I wouldn't have asked if you'd been accurate. 

I think the inference was there and most would’ve understood if they had read the thread up until that point. I didn’t say short contract.

I could be wrong but Hickey hasn’t signed his first contract as such, he’s an academy player so technically not under contract. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

No, are you talking about when since when the Academy was founded, or when it's hollow shell was rebuilt? Or both?

13 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

No, are you talking about when since when the Academy was founded, or when it's hollow shell was rebuilt? Or both?

It’s a tough one. Cochrane arrived with a bang. If we had taken a fee for him last season, we might have been up as he may not develop as we had hoped and may never be sellable. 

Patterson took a bad injury and we lost out. 

While we are not a forced selling club, the likes of £1.5m is a significant proportion of our annual turnover. If we could sell him in Jan, keep him on loan for 18 months and add a sell-on/appearances deal, that would, to a certain extent, cover us for future improvement or stalling of development/injury. Win-win. The alternative is to hope for continued development, that he agrees to decent contract extensions and avoids serious injury. We could end up with £10m. We might not. 

We definately shouldn’t jump in to accepting the first offer. 

Another potential upside to dealing with them, we may take over from the Dutch side as their preferred loan side? 

Unknown user
24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think the inference was there and most would’ve understood if they had read the thread up until that point. I didn’t say short contract.

I could be wrong but Hickey hasn’t signed his first contract as such, he’s an academy player so technically not under contract. 

I read the posts, that's why I asked. You seemed to be talking about Hickey but that didn't seem right as he's under contract, no technically about it. 

All I did was ask for clarification

24 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Fine. Hickey came to us in 2017 at 14/15 y/o. Levein and Arnott took over in May 2014. So I assume you are referring to players who have come through our academy for any length of time from one season onwards, before graduating to the first team, and being considered a first team player?

I would make that, players to graduate from the rejigged academy:

L. Smith

R. Currie

D. Zanatta

H. Cochrane

A. MacDonald

A. Irving

C. Hamilton

A. Keena

A. Hickey

M. Godinho

C. Morrison

J. Brandon

(missed a few here)

That sound about right?

Any players older than them were part of the academy pre-Levein and Arnott, when it was a neglected shell, in need of repairing and restocking at all age groups. From those players who were already in our first team who had graduated, we saw:

J. Hamilton

C. Paterson

J. McGhee

K. McHattie

J. Walker

J. Holt

D. Smith

S. Nicholson

D. Carrick

That sound about right?

So if we measure the success of the academy, you have to have clear delineation between pre and post Levein and Arnott, and a clear measure of how you judge it a success or failure. Playing umpteen games for Hearts or leaving for money, are the two criteria for success, I would say? With that in mind, I'd say it's doing a decent job, after a period of neglect, but we will need to wait and see as many of the players brought in and nurtured by Levein and Arnott are only coming of age now.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

It's all very well saying that they should get lost but the question is how long is his contract?

If he can walk away for a development fee next summer I'd take £1.5M + bonuses and a sell on clause and wish him good luck. I'm not interested in a sale and loan back if he leaves he leaves.

I've seen too many great prospects flame out with nothing to show for it. I'm not getting precious over a player with a handful of appearances. 

15 minutes ago, Niall said:

It's all very well saying that they should get lost but the question is how long is his contract?

If he can walk away for a development fee next summer I'd take £1.5M + bonuses and a sell on clause and wish him good luck. I'm not interested in a sale and loan back if he leaves he leaves.

I've seen too many great prospects flame out with nothing to show for it. I'm not getting precious over a player with a handful of appearances. 

I'm no coach or manager, but Aaron Hickey is a top player in the making. Better than Patterson, Wallace, Berra, Walker and Nicholson and any of our other players we have produced since Gordon imo.

Sadly however, I agree. We are not in a great bargaining position if he can leave next season for a development fee, and the club would have to be commended for managing to broker a deal where we actually get something decent in return. Would not be happy at losing our best prospect in a lot of years for £1.5m though. Would have to suck that one up. :(

Anyway, let's wait and see. The first I have seen a figure mentioned was yesterday in the Sun. I am hoping the quoted fee was plucked from thin air.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I read the posts, that's why I asked. You seemed to be talking about Hickey but that didn't seem right as he's under contract, no technically about it. 

All I did was ask for clarification

Ok then.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What part of he hasn’t signed a professional contract isn’t getting through to you? Do you have any evidence that he has signed a contract with us or when it runs out? 

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/squads/academy/academy-team/aaron-hickey

"Reserves manager Andy Kirk said that Aaron "is eager to make his mark and showcase his competitive edge after signing professional terms."

Pasquale for King
48 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

It’s difficult to find out how long he signed for but this at least confirms he did sign a professional contract with us last year. 

I shared that too, still no length of contract though which is concerning.

56 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Fine. Hickey came to us in 2017 at 14/15 y/o. Levein and Arnott took over in May 2014. So I assume you are referring to players who have come through our academy for any length of time from one season onwards, before graduating to the first team, and being considered a first team player?

I would make that, players to graduate from the rejigged academy:

L. Smith

R. Currie

D. Zanatta

H. Cochrane

A. MacDonald

A. Irving

C. Hamilton

A. Keena

A. Hickey

M. Godinho

C. Morrison

J. Brandon

(missed a few here)

That sound about right?

Any players older than them were part of the academy pre-Levein and Arnott, when it was a neglected shell, in need of repairing and restocking at all age groups. From those players who were already in our first team who had graduated, we saw:

J. Hamilton

C. Paterson

J. McGhee

K. McHattie

J. Walker

J. Holt

D. Smith

S. Nicholson

D. Carrick

That sound about right?

So if we measure the success of the academy, you have to have clear delineation between pre and post Levein and Arnott, and a clear measure of how you judge it a success or failure. Playing umpteen games for Hearts or leaving for money, are the two criteria for success, I would say? With that in mind, I'd say it's doing a decent job, after a period of neglect, but we will need to wait and see as many of the players brought in and nurtured by Levein and Arnott are only coming of age now.

Good work. 

Not too impressed with the number of regulars on the first list.Will they be given a chance? Will we give them time? Possibly not. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I shared that link before you did, can’t see where it says he signed a contract though?

it literally says "after signing professional terms". In the article.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

"Reserves manager Andy Kirk said that Aaron "is eager to make his mark and showcase his competitive edge after signing professional terms."

Good stuff, wonder why it didn’t say how long. Hopefully a Jim Maclean style deal.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yip, but under 18's are limited to two year contracts. (I think) 

Folk might be getting confused with that. 

Still professional, tho. 

When he's 18 we can throw him a 8 year deal. 

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What part of he hasn’t signed a professional contract isn’t getting through to you? Do you have any evidence that he has signed a contract with us or when it runs out? 

He's under contract, when you said he wasn't you were wrong.

It's no biggie, no need to get all incredible hulk about it, all I said was "Who isn't under contract? Hickey?"

Just now, jr ewing said:

Good work. 

Not too impressed with the number of regulars on the first list.Will they be given a chance? Will we give them time? Possibly not. 

Every single one of them has played first team football for us as teenagers. Some will make it at a lower level than Hearts, some will make it at a comparable level to Hearts, and a very small number will go a level or two beyond Hearts. That's how it's always been in the past. Although you would hope (and I kind of believe) that more will fall in to the last two categories now going forward.

I also missed out the King brothers from the second list, and Henderson and C. Smith from the first list.

6 hours ago, Section Q said:

It's taken us years, "literally" to find a decent left back, and £1.5m is way to cheap. 

Just for the record, the last left back we sold to Manchester City was Arthur Mann in the late sixties and was a record fee for a Scottish defender if memory serves me right.....£69,000ish....!

How much is that in today's money

Unknown user
Just now, Noah Claypole said:

Another cracking thread.

Thanks guys 😀😀😀

Apologies for my part in it, I'll never ask the humptiest man in Scotland to clarify again!

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Still professional, tho. 

Why would he accept a deal at Hearts if he could earn vast amounts elsewhere.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

He's under contract, when you said he wasn't you were wrong.

It's no biggie, no need to get all incredible hulk about it, all I said was "Who isn't under contract? Hickey?"

Yeah we’ve established all that. Not much info about the length of contract is worrying. If he does get sold hopefully he will stay with us to develop a bit longer, we finally solve the LB problem and he could be away in January. It’s hard to stop someone from making such a huge move though.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Apologies for my part in it, I'll never ask the humptiest man in Scotland to clarify again!

Glad someone’s finally given me my proper title 👍🏽

doctor jambo

Hickey is a great potential left back for anyone.

For his age he is unbelievably good, if still slight.

I also don't doubt that Man city and HMFC have a "relationship" - that much is evident- there are bonds there and they will benefit us more than them, of that I am sure.

£1.5 million for a young player is pretty good, but in a couple of years could either be much higher, or negligible depending on how he goes.

Thems the risks

14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Still professional, tho. 

A Player, who is under 18 years of age at the date of signing as a Professional Player upon the Registration

Form may only be registered for a period not exceeding 3 years. Any clause referring to a longer

duration within the relative agreement between the Player and the Club shall not be recognised and in

such circumstances, the Player’s registration shall cease after 3 years, from the date of the signing as a

Professional Player upon the Registration Form.