Man City target Aaron Hickey in £1.5m deal

afanderson33

47 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

People getting overly erect about all of this.

First of all defenders are cheaper than midfielders who are cheaper than strikers.

Second, Hickey hasn’t even got 20 first team games to his name yet.

Third, he is playing in Scotland for a team outside Glasgow.

Fourth, he is 17.

Even if we were offered £1.5m (and who knows if that includes add ons, a two year loan back etc) that sort of sum is astonishing and there is absolutely no way that any other player in the UK playing left back for 10 games for,

say a first division team in England,

would be getting bought for £10m.

Absolute rockets on here.

Hickey looks fantastic but at this stage, this very very early stage could go McMullan or Robertson. Even Robertson had to go to Hull first.

IMO pushing that up to £2m with a 2 year loan back, plus add ons depending on appearances etc and a sell on fee (Man City failures can still get £1 transfers) and a couple of top loans from Man City player would be a cracking bit of business.

We are already getting a player who would beat our biggest transfer fee in for at least a season on loan.

There is a much bigger picture in play here and fans getting indignant about a potential  £1.5m purchase for a 17 year old when we still get to keep the lad playing for us on loan is absurd.

Also remember that English teams have to pay **** all development fees for our players at end of contract.

Also - again bigger picture so may be a stretch for some - but our academy producing somebody that gets on Man City’s radar early doors will only benefit the academy in getting other top quality youngsters in.

It all seems pretty straightforward to me.

Did we not get a fee for Paterson?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• AJAMBO

• Spellczech

5 hours ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Its all just speculation at this point mate I’m far from an expert on the subject it’s interesting to hear other opinions on it 

Very true

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

It has been touted on here that Hickey could  play RB in place of Smith this weekend as he is two footed.  Indeed someone (you?) suggested that CL should have moved him there on Sunday with White coming on at LB.  The fact that he can play on both sides will surely enhance his worth.

Hickey can play right / left back . inside left and right. Center mid attacking mid. Is also good in goals .

8 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

He'll be loaned back to us, I heard.

Who told you that . you've been reading posts here . Noones even bid yet ya trumpet

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Did we not get a fee for Paterson?

“**** all” was meant relatively. They pay less than a Scottish club would pay.

It’s how Celtic got Dembele for a few 100k rather than the £ms that would have been required to be paid by an English team.

9 hours ago, JackLadd said:

I just find it hard to believe this. Hardly been able to evaluate the kid myself so no idea how some dick at Man City has. 

Are you a professional scout for one of the largest and richest clubs in the world?

Edited by Lovecraft

Captain Sausage

Hickey seems like he's got his head screwed on right. Came back to us instead of staying in the Celtic machine to chase game time. He's got a pretty strong claim to our left back spot at the moment and a couple of years in a good Hearts team (please God) will really develop him.

If he has the opportunity to sign for Man City, it'll be hard to turn it down. But if he looks at Robertson and how he made it, maybe staying with us where he can pick himself each week and building some experience before going off to a top Championship/ lower Premiership side and taking it from there, is the way to go.

I'd expect Hearts to offer him a big deal with lots of time and a decent wage to tempt him to stay, but it's completely understandable if we decides against it. I'm looking at it through maroon tinted glasses, but I see Hearts as the perfect place for Aaron over the next 2/3 years.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, Captain Sausage said:

Hickey seems like he's got his head screwed on right. Came back to us instead of staying in the Celtic machine to chase game time. He's got a pretty strong claim to our left back spot at the moment and a couple of years in a good Hearts team (please God) will really develop him.

If he has the opportunity to sign for Man City, it'll be hard to turn it down. But if he looks at Robertson and how he made it, maybe staying with us where he can pick himself each week and building some experience before going off to a top Championship/ lower Premiership side and taking it from there, is the way to go.

I'd expect Hearts to offer him a big deal with lots of time and a decent wage to tempt him to stay, but it's completely understandable if we decides against it. I'm looking at it through maroon tinted glasses, but I see Hearts as the perfect place for Aaron over the next 2/3 years.

Man City can map that playing route out for him as his owners.

Man city can buy Hickey - he gets 10 times his salary straightaway - 5 year contract. 

Man City can then loan him back to us for 18 months. 

They can then then check his development and decide whether to loan him to a lower EPL club or Champs club.

I still think getting close to £2m up front for Hickey (with potential add ons) say in January with an 18 month loan back, a young Japanese player pushing to become an internationalist that we couldn’t ourselves afford for a year, and the start of a working relationship with Man City, would be fantastic business.

2 minutes ago, maroon said:

Anyone know How much  city paid for Meshino 

Nearly 1 million according to transfermarkt 

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Man city can buy Hickey - he gets 10 times his salary straightaway - 5 year contract. 

They can then then check his development and decide whether to loan him to a lower EPL club or Champs club.

I still think getting close to £2m up front for Hickey (with potential add ons) say in January with an 18 month loan back, a young Japanese player pushing to become an internationalist that we couldn’t ourselves afford for a year, and the start of a working relationship with Man City, would be fantastic business.

Hard to disagree. 

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hard to disagree. 

Maybe through in a glamour friendly? 

57 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

“**** all” was meant relatively. They pay less than a Scottish club would pay.

It’s how Celtic got Dembele for a few 100k rather than the £ms that would have been required to be paid by an English team.

With respect I think you are wrong.

Hearts didn't get a decent fee because CP wouldn't sign a contract we offered as he wanted to go to English football.  I also believe we got a better deal (add-ons etc) only because the player insisted upon it.

YouLetYourClubDie
On 27/08/2019 at 10:13, Jambof3tornado said:

What will we be due at the end of his deal?

No idea if we get a devlopment fee because he has been at Celtic as well. 

Dallas Green
20 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

No idea if we get a devlopment fee because he has been at Celtic as well. 

We would.

11 hours ago, JackLadd said:

I just find it hard to believe this. Hardly been able to evaluate the kid myself so no idea how some dick at Man City has. 

After reading this post Man City have withdrawn the bid until you confirm your evaluation.....because what you think really matters to them.

Jambof3tornado
26 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Anyone actually know what his contract situation is. He's 17 but does that mean he can't sign professionally?

Think its a naximum length of contract thats the issue given his age.

Dallas Green
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Anyone actually know what his contract situation is. He's 17 but does that mean he can't sign professionally?

He has signed professionally. 

That was in May 2018.

His deal runs out in May 2020 or May 2021, that's the bit there seems to be no info on. Three years is the maximum contract duration he could have been offered at his age.

Tynecastlesmychurch
On 27/08/2019 at 13:48, Pasquale for King said:

Slightly different than Souttar in two ways, he’s not under contract and there are teams who have registered an interest.

What I mean is I'm not worried about the situation.

16 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Surely though, you realise that the people who are paid to do these things as professionals, will have a lot more knowledge and insight than you or I? Honestly though, even in my limited knowledge that I have from watching football over the years; it’s really obvious how good Hickey is. He is already a good player, and he could become a top player.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Isn’t hickey more naturally right footed? He’s taken his penalty(ies?) for us with his right hasn't he? 

No he’s naturally  left footed according to the interview he gave.

If we have a quality youngster like Hickey, we won’t be able to keep them until they are 21+ years old. Big clubs want them young, they want to develop them further in their own academics, so it’s unlikely we’ll ever max out on a fee for a more “complete” youngster.

I’d take £2.5-3million for Hickey, obviously with a huge sell on percentage and probably add on’s which would come into play if he reaches the first team, probably adding up to £6million plus. 

I’m pretty confident we will continue to produce more lads of his ability over the next few years and decades, so as long as we get a great deal, I’d happily see our lads being sold on so they can become better players. 

upgotheheads
5 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Think its a naximum length of contract thats the issue given his age.

4 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

He has signed professionally. 

That was in May 2018.

His deal runs out in May 2020 or May 2021, that's the bit there seems to be no info on. Three years is the maximum contract duration he could have been offered at his age.

Ta. We do have some leverage then, at least for this season. 

1 hour ago, RobNox said:

A lot of sense in that.  Would love to see this youngster Mackenzie develop to the point where he can start to feature in the 1st team.  He appears to know where the opposition goal is and to actually score frequently.

What a novelty.

CloustonHMFC
On 28/08/2019 at 00:47, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

People getting overly erect about all of this.

First of all defenders are cheaper than midfielders who are cheaper than strikers.

Second, Hickey hasn’t even got 20 first team games to his name yet.

Third, he is playing in Scotland for a team outside Glasgow.

Fourth, he is 17.

Even if we were offered £1.5m (and who knows if that includes add ons, a two year loan back etc) that sort of sum is astonishing and there is absolutely no way that any other player in the UK playing left back for 10 games for,

say a first division team in England,

would be getting bought for £10m.

Absolute rockets on here.

Hickey looks fantastic but at this stage, this very very early stage could go McMullan or Robertson. Even Robertson had to go to Hull first.

IMO pushing that up to £2m with a 2 year loan back, plus add ons depending on appearances etc and a sell on fee (Man City failures can still get £1 transfers) and a couple of top loans from Man City player would be a cracking bit of business.

We are already getting a player who would beat our biggest transfer fee in for at least a season on loan.

There is a much bigger picture in play here and fans getting indignant about a potential  £1.5m purchase for a 17 year old when we still get to keep the lad playing for us on loan is absurd.

Also remember that English teams have to pay **** all development fees for our players at end of contract.

Also - again bigger picture so may be a stretch for some - but our academy producing somebody that gets on Man City’s radar early doors will only benefit the academy in getting other top quality youngsters in.

It all seems pretty straightforward to me.

14 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

These two posts sum up my view on the matter.

Hickey is class for his age but a close relationship with one with of the best teams in the world, a decent up front fee with sell on and add ons plus a loan back is a top deal. Hopefully we can negotiate the upfront fee to around £2.5mil though. 

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Man City are getting enough already..... 😂

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If we have a quality youngster like Hickey, we won’t be able to keep them until they are 21+ years old. Big clubs want them young, they want to develop them further in their own academics, so it’s unlikely we’ll ever max out on a fee for a more “complete” youngster.

I’d take £2.5-3million for Hickey, obviously with a huge sell on percentage and probably add on’s which would come into play if he reaches the first team, probably adding up to £6million plus. 

I’m pretty confident we will continue to produce more lads of his ability over the next few years and decades, so as long as we get a great deal, I’d happily see our lads being sold on so they can become better players. 

Also the home grown/ trained thing for Europe. 

Also a reason why young players are picked up so early. 

I see no sense for Man City I loaning Hickey back to us beyond the end of this season. They will want to develop him in their own way, playing in their style  

Otherwise they may as well as pay a sum to have first option on him when he turns 19. 

kingantti1874
On 28/08/2019 at 01:07, JackLadd said:

you can see after about 2 minutes of watching him he’s top class, 2 feet, great balance, moves like a great player. There was a run in the 2nd half v Motherwell where he moved like a young Gareth bale

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I see no sense for Man City I loaning Hickey back to us beyond the end of this season. They will want to develop him in their own way, playing in their style  

Otherwise they may as well as pay a sum to have first option on him when he turns 19. 

Why loan him to us at all then?

They must see something in our training and on the pitch to warrant even discussing some sort of relationship.

Its a shame Man City can see something our own fans can’t - but not surprising reading the comments on here.

Id take the judgement of one of the top world clubs over a few punters that watch the game after 5 pints at the Tynie Arms lol.

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Why loan him to us at all then?

They must see something in our training and on the pitch to warrant even discussing some sort of relationship.

Its a shame Man City can see something our own fans can’t - but not surprising reading the comments on here.

Id take the judgement of one of the top world clubs over a few punters that watch the game after 5 pints at the Tynie Arms lol.

To the end of the season would allow him to get some game time, but i just think they would then want to introduce him to their way of playing from an early age.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

To the end of the season would allow him to get some game time, but i just think they would then want to introduce him to their way of playing from an early age.

Maybe he already he does - hence their interest

On 27/08/2019 at 15:55, Noah Claypole said:

Another cracking thread.

Thanks guys 😀😀😀

reality of the situation is wed sell for under a million

Afternoon just apologising for my incorrect assumptions earlier in the week. It is a message board after all. It does seem I was out of order so to those who responded I deserved the criticism.   

On 29/08/2019 at 12:32, Masonic said:

Doubt it

More likely we would try to persuade Hickey to stay

Though then it is more likely he didn't progress and he ends up at Cowdenbeath. Which on balance is why accepting a bid may be most sensible. Always a bit of a gamble. Though he does look a good player. 

On 29/08/2019 at 12:32, Masonic said:

Is that a fact or just a guess?

There may be some quantification of loan deals involved in the fee eg they could pay us £1m for Hickey, loan him back for the season and also be paying the majority/all of Meshino's wages.

What I am suggesting is that maybe we should not simply look at the headline figure as reported as there may be other strands to any deal.

Edited by JamboAl

From what I believe Hearts are looking for more but for a laddie who has played, what 6 first games 1.5 mill is unbelievable. I would like to keep him and see what happens at the end of the season, and what we can get but something is still telling me that Hearts will be getting a lot more done Han we know out of this. 

kingantti1874
23 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

From what I believe Hearts are looking for more but for a laddie who has played, what 6 first games 1.5 mill is unbelievable. I would like to keep him and see what happens at the end of the season, and what we can get but something is still telling me that Hearts will be getting a lot more done Han we know out of this. 

It’s not really unbelievable, Man Utd pay Alexis Sanchez £1.5 million every 3 weeks..

it’s chump change for English clubs.. not even noticeable.

Guest ToqueJambo

Luke Shaw broke into Southhampton's team at 16 and played 60 games over 3 seasons or so then went for 30m. The key thing there was they got him on a 5 year contract the year before he went to Man U. Left sided players are very in demand. I'd hope for a lot more than 1.5m for Hickey on evidence so far.

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s not really unbelievable, Man Utd pay Alexis Sanchez £1.5 million every 3 weeks..

it’s chump change for English clubs.. not even noticeable.

Yes but they obviously believe this lad is going to be the bomb 🤔 I did post on the thread 2/3 weeks ago that Man City were going to put an offer in, and they have it’s just not enough I think for Hearts to agree unless there is hidden incentives which will all come apparent 👍🏻

Edited by tynietigers