So why do you support HMFC?

MCJamTart

Melbourne Jambo

Moved to Edinburgh for a working holiday in 2009 - no prior attachment to Scotland. 

Love football, and supported Melbourne Victory back here, so wanted to check out Scottish Football. First weekend Hearts were at home and the rest is history. 

It was a tough start, first three games were 0-0...... first goal I saw was Gordon Smith at Easter Road. Another 7 derbies whilst I was over there (including the cup final) and still yet to see Hearts lose to Hibs 👍 

Moved back home since but watch as often as I can and been back a couple of time, with another trip in a few weeks.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• BarneyBattles44

My dad, god bless him. Took me from the mid to late 70s and then you start to go with your mates in the 80s. I'm from the east of Edinburgh and went to Holy Rood so it was pretty tricky at times, 3 Hearts fans in my year! 22 in a row certainly helped but going to school the Monday after Dens is among the low points of my childhood. 

Had a golden 3/4 years when I went with my dad and my son before he passed. From McGlynn to Cathro, difficult seasons other than the joy of the Championship season but they will always be the most special for me forever. I go with my son now and we both think about him every game. 

Football is the one thread you carry through your whole life, Hearts are an integral part of my family. I love the club and us saving it is for me incredibly significant. 

Edited by Jodami

When I was at primary school and just getting interested in football, my older brothers (twins) were Rangers supporters and hated thier attitude towards some of my pals in the estate where we lived who happened to go to St Francis, so when asked what team I supported at school, I said Hearts, the Hearts team of the sixties, as we all know, was quite successful so I used my paper round pay to get the train through to watch the famous, I should add I had started high school by then😅

Dad - knew I would get to games following Hearts.

Brother chose Rangers and auld man was never taking him to Ibrox

Racing White Daring Molenbeek 

Brussels Boys

I don't actually know why i just did. Mum use to buy me Rangers tops then when i was about 5 or 6 i just decided nah im not rangers i want to be Hearts.

Family tradition. My Dad was Hearts man as was my grandfather and my great grandfather. Both my sons support the club. There was never any doubt as to where my affiliations would lie.

Punks No Deid

Thanks to my Uncle Bob, Uncle Gordon & Uncle Jim. Fair to say that I curse all 3 on a regular basis

Edited by Punks No Deid

Brought up in Granton, Grandad, Dad and Uncle were all Hearts fans so always had somebody that would take me to games when I was young.

No longer active

Lived on Westfield Road in 1978, went to Tynecastle High, my Grandad used to take me to the games, then the season St Johnstone pipped us to Div 1 title I started going with Pals from School. Attending matches became a habit until 1994 when work took me away. Live in Lincolnshire now only attend 2 or 3 matches per season. Stopped buying a season ticket in 2011 as I only managed 4 or 5 games with work committments. Moving back next year so I guess I'll be renewing my ST

Because Hearts play in the same colours as my local team, Arniston Rangers!

As a kid I followed a team in each country (well the countries whose results were in the pink paper on a Saturday) so I still follow/take a passing interest in but don’t support Newcastle, Monaco, Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, PSV and Parma

My Mum was buying me my first football strip when I was about 5.  She asked me what i wanted, Hearts or Hibs?  To her credit she kept the options local.  I said I don't know, who do you think?  She replied her Dad had been a Hearts supporter.  And that was it.  My life choice made there and then.  I wake up screaming during the night thinking TF he wasn't a Hibby!!

Салатные палочки

My primary school mate

Mike Galloway

The Novafone shirt

Back from the Brink

St Mirren 0 - 0 Hearts

That's just a few of the reasons I became a Hearts fan. 

Rabbie_Burns
10 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Born into it. Like my father, my grandad and my great grandad. Just the way it is, and the way it’ll always be. 

Worth reading this thread from the classics. I started it and without sounding like a twat, it’s a crackin read, in a similar vein to this thread...

Top thread Mr Sifter, great to read over it again and helped my nightshift go on a lot quicker 👍

The colour maroon caught my young eye around 68/69. 70/71 my first full season. As to why I just dont know but I did and despite the ups n downs I feel I love the club as much now as way back then, its just gets into your blood.

My dad was a Hearts fan, his dad was a Hearts fan, not sure how far back it went but probably quite a bit. Lived my first six months in Dalry, Dads auntie's place  in Downfield Place. My mum and dad then moved to Portobello which presented some challenges but there were enough of us for it to be sustainable :flag1:

Started watching games the year after we lost league  to Kilmarnock on last day of season. Kept up till Saturday football got in the way but attended when I could. Moved to Swindon with work and watched Swindon Town occasionally (Got free tickets for a few years as my son played in their Youth Team) I wanted them to win but if they lost there was no emotional reaction. Still managed to take in a few Hearts games when visiting family or if work trips involved a Scottish dimension. Always get in Glory Hunting mode if we get to a final, hospitality has been good to me.

My grandad lived in the banana flats along Gorgie road and my dad was born there and brought up there. He was regularly  lifted over the turnstiles back in the day to watch the hearts so when I came along there was never really any doubt about who I would be brought up supporting. Had some cracking times in my 34 years supporting hearts and some grim but thankfully young enough to have avoided the really grim times by the sound of it. 

An uncle took me to my first Hearts game, which would have been in the mid 70s when we were playing in Division 1.   Being from a West Lothian town (grew up in Whitburn), the vast majority of my schoolmates were Rangers/Celtic.  I liked not being part of those herds.

No real interest in any other teams; when I was a wee lad I used to like Liverpool because of thei big Scottish contingent.

Edited by Haken

The Treasurer

4th generation.

It has just never occurred to me to support anyone else.

I look out for the results of a couple of English teams (due to family connections) but you can only truly SUPPORT one team, and thanks to my dad that team is Heart of Midlothian

3fingersreid

Because my family was in from the start , don’t see the need to fix anything that ain’t broke and my family will never deviate from that , anyone does they’ll be oot on their arses .

Robbo-Jambo

It runs in the family and then it runs in your blood. 

Massive part of my life and always will be. 

100% Hearts supporting family on both sides.

Born and brought up in Abbeyhill in the days when we couldn't win derbies, most of my mates were Hibs, but I didn't care. 

Always knew I was right and they were wrong. 

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

So, your eyebrows aren’t joined, you are not cross eyed, you’ve no freckles, your hair isn’t red and you only possess 10 digits on your hands?

Perfect!

I don't have webbed fingers and toes. 

My Dad brought me up right.

Hating Hibs was drummed into me from an early age.

Incest doesn't appeal to me.

Tynecastle is my church.

andythejambo

Dad and Grandad were both Hearts supporters, even though they lived just off Easter Road. However, in those days, they used to go Hibs matches as well, so my first game was Hibs v Motherwell, which the Steelmen won 5-2. Second match was a night game at Tynecastle. Remember getting the 31 to Roseburn, and seeing the glow in sky, as we walked along Russell Road. Hearts thumped Hamilton Accies that night. From that night in the early 60's, I was hooked. I was heartbroken when we sold Willie Wallace, and was in tears when Dad explained we had lost the League on goal average. By the end of the 60's I was old enough to go to games, on my own. After years of disappointment, the next time I was in tears was 16th May 1998. Enjoyed the Romanov rollercoaster, while it lasted, however, realised it nearly killed my beloved club. Now looking forward to the FOH years. The club name, the colours, the Tynecastle atmosphere,  the history, I could never imagine supporting any other team apart from Heart of Midlothian. I look out for the results of Manchester United (Denis Law was one of my boyhood heroes), Eintracht Frankfurt (worked there, attended midweek games) and Barcelona (from the Cruyff days). 

However, there's only one team I support, HMFC  the team for me !!

🇱🇻🇱🇻🏆🏆🇱🇻🇱🇻

Edited by andythejambo
More info

hmfc_liam06

My uncle takes the blame. I kinda bounced around a bit when I was young, got taken to see various teams on a semi-regular basis by various relatives or family friends (my dad wasn't into football). I eventually stuck on Hearts in my mid-teens which was Craig Levein's first spell as manager.

I definitely wouldn't support anyone else.

In terms of other teams, I don't "support" anyone from any other country. I just don't get folk who do. I like or have liked certain teams in the past because of certain players, managers or style of football. Even teams who I've managed on Football Manager but I would never class myself as a supporter.

Truthfully? I don't really know. My Dad was a Jambo, and obviously wanted me to be one too. He never forced it on me though, but still, I don't think there was a defining moment really, I just knew I was one because that's what my Dad said. 

Growing up, I also liked Man United. That wore off through my teenage years though. That was also influenced by my Dad although he considers himself a West Ham fan these days. I think in hindsight, we just like Sir Alex. The minute he stepped down, it almost felt like the magic wore off and I've never had much interest since. Admin put everything into perspective for me. At this point I realised, a club like Manchester United don't need me. I've been to OT since with my Girlfriend because she's a United fan, and there's no real personal touch. No real community sense that I can compare with Hearts.

As some on here know, more recently I've grown very fond of Schalke too. This has came through friendship, and my fondness has grown through similarities to Hearts within the club albeit on an even bigger scale. All the fundamental principles of supporting Schalke are akin to those of supporting the Gorgie.

Looking back to my younger days though, despite liking the likes of Manchester United too, I now know nothing could ever compare to Heart of Midlothian. Watching David Beckham, Zidane and Ronaldo on TV was great, but unwrapping Steven Boyack in a packet of stickers was truly exciting. Watching a virtual representation of us on FIFA and the likes made me feel proud that our wee club were famous,hearing us mentioned on TV led to me getting excited and telling my Dad that I heard our name. Even going out for a kickabout pulling on the famous jersey made me feel pride. And of course, nothing beat putting my scarf on, and going off to the game with my old man. Even if it was a nothing match vs Dundee or the likes, I felt like I was going to a cup final, just buzzing to see the team. Hearts made me feel emotions that a child doesn't know how to handle. Even now, Hearts seems to be my only real emotional outlet.

I have respect and admiration for many clubs, even fondness for some. But for reasons I really can't explain, I ****ing love this football club more than anything else.

12 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

You may know my stepdad. He grew up in Fountainbridge in the 40/50s. You might be just a bit too young though.

I left Fountainbridg in 1961 when we got a palace in Clermiston . Living room, separate kitchen, my own bedroom, and a inside toilet with a bath yes a real bathroom. We also had a front and back garden wow. Clery was a mixture of Hearts and Hibs fans.

My nearest club was Dumbarton but summers were spent with an aunt in Corstorphine.

What would you do?

Edit:  Makes me a glory seeker I suppose......

Edited by FWJ

Shanks said no

Family

There just weren’t any other teams supported in my dads family. My dads uncle Leslie was the jambo in chief who took my dad and then me to our first games. I suppose I now have that role. Between the 1880’s and 1960’s most branches of the family lived in the Gorgie area. 

Both my Dad and Grandad were Hearts fans and they took me to my first game, sitting in the "family enclosure" at the start of the 87/88 season (I think !). I'm sure it was a 4-2 win versus Falkirk but sure someone can confirm who was a bit older at the time.

Went to various games with my Dad growing up but never too regularly as he had fallen out of it a bit by then. My Grandad took me to the second leg in Munich in March '89 when I was 8. I had the same tracksuit on for about 6 days.

Started going with mates when I was 14 at the start of the 95/96 season - awesome time to be a regular , teenage  Hearts fan with the cup finals and win that happened soon after.

Had a season ticket until about 2009 .... fell away a bit myself for various reasons. Been doing walk ups for a few years now and this will be my first year for some time with a season ticket.

Looking forward to it !

Doctor FinnBarr

Cos all my pals supported Hearts when we moved to my old mans present house in Blackburn.

I go over to Brussels a few times a season to watch Molenbeek (always good for a piss-up) and if I holiday in Tenerife I'll go along if they have a home game whilst I'm there ( got 2 in October).

No one can ever call me a glory hunter.

My late father was born in Newton Grange but always favoured Aniston Rangers he moved to Lochend with his family when he was still a boy and followed Hearts every week He started taking me in the early sixties and I was hooked right away Willie Hamilton was and still is one of the greatest footballers I had the pleasure to see I am a devoted fan.

My Great Grandad was a Hearts fan.

My Grandad was a Hearts fan.

My Dad is a Hearts fan.

I am a Hearts fan.

My Son is a Hearts fan.

My future Grandchild will be a Hearts fan.

1 hour ago, Snorri1 said:

Both my Dad and Grandad were Hearts fans and they took me to my first game, sitting in the "family enclosure" at the start of the 87/88 season (I think !). I'm sure it was a 4-2 win versus Falkirk but sure someone can confirm who was a bit older at the time.

Went to various games with my Dad growing up but never too regularly as he had fallen out of it a bit by then. My Grandad took me to the second leg in Munich in March '89 when I was 8. I had the same tracksuit on for about 6 days.

Started going with mates when I was 14 at the start of the 95/96 season - awesome time to be a regular , teenage  Hearts fan with the cup finals and win that happened soon after.

Had a season ticket until about 2009 .... fell away a bit myself for various reasons. Been doing walk ups for a few years now and this will be my first year for some time with a season ticket.

Looking forward to it !

It was. 

Always liked the name Hearts when I was a kid in the 70s. Few family members supported them so probably always on the cards I would. However, I had this mad uncle who was Rangers daft, every Christmas i'd get something connected with that club. Neighbour across the road also supported Rangers and my first ever game in 1982 was at Easter Rd, Hibs v Rangers. I remember it being a boring spectacle as I stood there in their old stand's enclosure where all I could see was the shin-pads of Davie Cooper rippin the pish out of either Jackie McNamara or Arthur Duncan (can't remember). Ended up a 0-0 bore. Following week (or two) later I was asked if I wanted to go to Ibrox, old man said no chance and if I wanted to go to a game, Hearts were at home, asked the neighbour if he wanted to go there instead, which he did, we were in the first division at the time, went along and we hammered a team in black and white 5-0 (can't remember who it was, possibly Ayr Utd). It was then it felt right and felt at home. Went home, handed any Rangers stuff I could find in the house and gave it all to someone. The rest as they say, is history. Barely missed a match at Tynie since. 

AlphonseCapone
7 hours ago, jamboozy said:

When I was at primary school and just getting interested in football, my older brothers (twins) were Rangers supporters and hated thier attitude towards some of my pals in the estate where we lived who happened to go to St Francis, so when asked what team I supported at school, I said Hearts, the Hearts team of the sixties, as we all know, was quite successful so I used my paper round pay to get the train through to watch the famous, I should add I had started high school by then😅

Not directly the same but similarities but from the other side.

No one else in my family supports Hearts. Growing up as Catholic and going to a Catholic school, everyone including my family were Celtic fans. But I couldn't stand the bigoted shite that came from that, both in terms of what supporting Celtic often entailed and it's fake Irish loving shite, and also the way the other kids at different schools treated you, calling you a fenian ******* etc. It's a damming indictment on Scotland that there were primary school aged kids having verbals with each other in the mornings with one side calling the other, "Orange *******s", and the other "Fenian *******s". I detested the whole thing. The other big influence on me was my grandad, he was in the Orange Lodge, and he'd take me to Christmas parties there and summer days out to Strathclyde Park etc. I basically had quite a mixture and was exposed to both sides and that probably played a big part in why I detested the bigotry so much. I essentially was clubless for a few years around the age of 12, but loved Scottish football too much and Hearts were the closest club to where I lived and I ended up getting to know a few jambos and went to my first game about 14 and have been a season ticket holder since 15 almost continously (bar my poor student days). 

I have a wee nephew now, 3 years old, and credit to my brother, a Celtic fan, he wasn't allowing anyone to buy him Scottish football strips as he wanted him to make his own choice. Then the Hearts 3rd kit came out, and I asked the question, and to my shock he said I could buy him it. Still won't let my dad buy him a Celtic kit though. So I hope that my nephew will grow up to support us. Step one is complete, next step when he's maybe about 5 I'll try and take him to a game. I might not have been born into it but I hope if my nephew ever answers this question in decades time then I'll be his reason for being a Hearts man. 

3 hours ago, Schevchenko said:

My uncle took me, an I also loved that silver away strip when I was wee.

Essentially this is what I hope for my nephew.