So why do you support HMFC?

MCJamTart

I was discussing this with some colleagues at work recently.

Why do you support the team? Would you give up and support a more successful team?

Do you have a favourite

English/Spanish/Italian team?

I started at Edinburgh Uni in 1985/86 season..and realised a wee team in Gorgie were on an incredible run...what a wonderful team that was!

Sadly it ended badly in Dundee but that was me a Jambo. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Beast Boy

• Jambo-Fox

• TweedbankJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Inherited them from my Dad. 

Do not and will never support another club.

No English Spanish or Italian teams.

Been to see many other teams when visiting friends and family in England, Germany and Greece. Enjoyed a good laugh and a drink with them. Don’t support them though.

86 was my first season too.

i wish jj was my dad

My Uncle Bob. And his insistence that I accompanied him to watch us lose just about every week. 

Konrad von Carstein

Dad, Grandad...Brought up in 9/1 Hutchison House, could practically see Tynecastle from the balcony...on match days given bottles of coke an packs of crisps in the BMC while dad and his cronies were having a few pints pre game, liftovers...floodlights ...Tyncastle High School...heck, I really had no other choice...Thank ****! :)

Byyy The Light

My mum and dad both born and raised in Dalry. There wasn’t ever a conscious decision, it wasn’t spoken about, it’s just the way it was.

Don’t support any other teams, don’t understand how anyone can.

Edited by Byyy The Light

Cruyff Turn

Because my Grandad did and my Dad does. Never had a choice in the matter. 

Only support Hearts and Scotland.

Don’t support anyone else.

Because the alternative is absolutely horrendous and would of been child cruelty.

inherited my love for Hearts from my grandad RIP.  Love him to the moon and back for it.

23 minutes ago, ZvonimirBoban said:

The manager.

You’re really boring.

Potentially a good thread, and up you pop with your Levein shite.

Roxy Hearts

Grandad and my Dad(plaque on the wall of remembrance). Thanks to them I support the famous Heart of Midlothian FC. I'm a Grandad myself and now my grandson supports us. 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

My grandad and my dad let me know early doors that there was/is ‘only one team in Edinburgh’.

Oh, and Mr Busby, Mr Robertson and Mr Skacel helped a wee bitty.

Born into it. Like my father, my grandad and my great grandad. Just the way it is, and the way it’ll always be. 

Worth reading this thread from the classics. I started it and without sounding like a twat, it’s a crackin read, in a similar vein to this thread...

4 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Satan told me to. 

It’s Santa. You’re dyslexic .

He’s a good guy in a nearly maroon suit 

I’m 4th generation Hearts fan - my son is a Hearts fan and my grandson is a Hearts fan.

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Red is just bright maroon anyway. The three primary colours of maroon, blue and yellow make up every other colour in the light spectrum. Pink for example is light maroon, and brown is dark maroon.

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Red is just bright maroon anyway. The three primary colours of maroon, blue and yellow make up every other colour in the light spectrum. Pink for example is light maroon, and brown is dark maroon.

:thumbsup:

Thank you, Mr Claus.

My (maternal) Grandad was born on Wardlaw Street, he married my granny who, along with my Great Uncle Davy (who I never met) was a founder member of the Merchiston Hearts Club. 

My Granny stayed in Colinton Mains, one day she was walking down the road with her washing when Wullie Bauld tapped her shoulder, took her washing off her and carried it to the drying green for her. She always said right to the end (even though she had dementia by then) that you don't get gentlemen like Wullie Bauld anymore.. 

When we lived in Whitburn between postings from Canada and Germany, we used to have to get the bus to Edinburgh to visit. The bus went through Gorgie and the highlight was looking left between the church and the bank and seeing the big old wooden frontage of the Tynecastle turnstiles. First game taken to by my uncle Dougie, some time in 1983, Hearts 1, Celtic 1. Think it was a cup game. 

Further to the other questions.. I follow Liverpool (support is probably too strong a word) because, admittedly, in the mid 80's I done it as a glory hunt. I also really always liked their strips. I also follow/support Borussia Dortmund. We stayed 10 minutes walk from the Westfalen Stadia in 80-82 (Solberweg, Barop). My dad was attached to 19 fld regt RA based in either Napier or Ubique barracks , Dortmund. makes me laugh and cringe when Celtic fans I know try to say that these two clubs have an affinity with them... 

However, Hearst are the only team I genuinely get pissed off when we lose. The only team I go to see. The only team that I've cried over as an adult (cup wins, losses). The only team that puts me in a genuinly bad mood over a bad result so much that I have to walk the dog to hide it. The only team I kiss the badge of. The only team I get superstitious over. (badge kissing, not putting scarf on till I've gone through the gates, not wearing anything green  on match day if I'm going, has to be 80/. pre match if I'm not driving)…. I could go on.. 

My dad was never into football really but his brother was a jambo.. He moved to the borders near Dumfries and now they're all huns. ****ing traitors. 

Grandfather's sister taught at tynecastle and lived in ardmillan, persuaded my  grandfather to buy shares the first time around which got my dad supporting and that was that. Could have been dodgy as my grandfather was headmaster at the school beside the bridge of doom, now long gone.

William H. Bonney
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Satan/Santa/dad. 

They’re all the same person. 

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Im too good looking to follow Hibs.

So, your eyebrows aren’t joined, you are not cross eyed, you’ve no freckles, your hair isn’t red and you only possess 10 digits on your hands?

Perfect!

Just now, TweedbankJambo said:

I just knew that was the sexiest badge in football. You can't deny its a beautiful thing. Fact! 

9E637847-C210-44C9-95B3-B185885995F9.jpeg

TweedbankJambo
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

So, your eyebrows aren’t joined, you are not cross eyed, you’ve no freckles, your hair isn’t red and you only possess 10 digits on your hands?

Perfect!

😂 

Local team living at Harri Park

Dad hated footie, big bro was a Tim. My twin and I supported the famous.

My 3 kids support them thanks to me and my 2 boys are huge Jambos 

been here before
9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Perfect!

Well that along with my spoons are pristine and I dont have a sister.

Just now, Kiwidoug said:

Many reasons but detesting Hibs was a key one.

Goes without saying, Douglas.

:fth:

Grandad used to take us to football every Saturday. Depending on who was playing at home we’d go to Hearts, Hibs or Meadowbank thistle. Usually Meadowbank as it was cheaper but I’d always loved the atmosphere in Tynecastle. The minute I could afford it I became a season ticket holder and never looked back. 

4forDevries

HMFC since 1974 and no other club. First time I heard our European song... there could never be any other club for me.

Born 1953 in Simpsons, lived in Fountainbridge, Tollcross Primary, Mum's family lived in Rosebank Cottages, Christened in Fountainbridge C.O.S. Grandad was in the FWW Royal Scots. Now what else was I going to be but a Jambo. 

6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Born 1953 in Simpsons, lived in Fountainbridge, Tollcross Primary, Mum's family lived in Rosebank Cottages, Christened in Fountainbridge C.O.S. Grandad was in the FWW Royal Scots. Now what else was I going to be but a Jambo. 

You may know my stepdad. He grew up in Fountainbridge in the 40/50s. You might be just a bit too young though.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Bazzas right boot

Family/ born in Edinburgh. 

*******s, why couldn't they be Spanish and have lived in Barcelona. 

Getting the home Admiral shirt for my birthday as a young lad, then dreaming of playing alongside Robbo and Henry! 👋Only Jambo out of all my mates. Proud. 

Hearts and Scotland. Not interested in anyone else. 

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Born into it. Like my father, my grandad and my great grandad. Just the way it is, and the way it’ll always be. 

Worth reading this thread from the classics. I started it and without sounding like a twat, it’s a crackin read, in a similar vein to this thread...

I remember there being some cracking stories on that thread Mr S, some even enough to leave a lump in the throat.

1 hour ago, MCJamTart said:

I was discussing this with some colleagues at work recently.

Why do you support the team? Would you give up and support a more successful team?

Do you have a favourite

English/Spanish/Italian team?

I started at Edinburgh Uni in 1985/86 season..and realised a wee team in Gorgie were on an incredible run...what a wonderful team that was!

Sadly it ended badly in Dundee but that was me a Jambo. 

1. They're my local team. 

2. One does not simply switch teams. 

3. Arsenal, Atletico and Inter if I had to pick but I don't really give a #### about them. 

TweedbankJambo
53 minutes ago, been here before said:

Well that along with my spoons are pristine and I dont have a sister.

🤣