So why do you support HMFC?

MCJamTart

There was an absolute open goal further up the thread. I didn’t take it because I didn’t fancy the prolonged lay off, but surely someone else fancied an easy tap in. :lol:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• BarneyBattles44

It's been really interesting to read the varied  personal and sometimes touching  stories of why JKB-ers support Hearts. 

gowestjambo

First ever football match I attended was Irvine Meadow against Kirkintilloch Rob Roy. I still to this day look out for the Medda's results. IIRC this was late 1950's early 1960's. Both my Grandad's and my Dad supported Hearts, although in those days people went to Hearts one week and Hibs the next.  All my school pals supported either Kilmarnock or Rangers, but I didn't want to follow the crowd. I was the only Hearts supporter in Irvine apart from my Dad.  We moved to Edinburgh, but since then I have been moving ever West!! A few years ago my sons asked why we supported Hearts, as they were the only Hearts supporters at Hamilton College. That was a difficult conversation, but I told them it built character, and they would stand out from the crowd! (Telling them to move their beds into the garage if they supported anyone else also helped!)

A few years later they were at a Gym in Hamilton with 3 other guys, and all 5 of them supported Hearts (I have no idea if Hamilton Jambo was involved!) To be a Hearts Supporter with our history sets you apart from the crowd, it speak volumes about you as an individual. If Etonians have an air of Casual Superiority, then so do Hearts Supporters! We have an active West of Scotland Hearts Supporters club, which is now 13 years old, and everyone one has an individual story to tell as to why they support Hearts.

So if you hear a slightly Weegie accent beside you - don't automatically think the worst........

Old Man was a Hibby (RIP), but  to be fair to him went week about to Easter Road and Tynecastle with his mates.

Three big influences - the boy next door who was a few years older than me, was a Jambo ,and I hero worshipped  him when I was young.

I hated the Hibs strip.

Most importantly my first ever game(aged 8) was Willie Bauld's testimonial match, absolutely and totally hooked thereafter.

Nearly sixty years later still here, no other club has ever been remotely considered over my beloved Jambos..

BarneyBattles44
17 hours ago, TweedbankJambo said:

🤣

40 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Old Man was a Hibby (RIP), but  to be fair to him went week about to Easter Road and Tynecastle with his mates.

Three big influences - the boy next door who was a few years older than me, was a Jambo ,and I hero worshipped  him when I was young.

I hated the Hibs strip.

Most importantly my first ever game(aged 😎 was Willie Bauld's testimonial match, absolutely and totally hooked thereafter.

Nearly sixty years later still here, no other club has ever been remotely considered over my beloved Jambos..

I wonder what the old lads would make of today's Embra football sides  the facilities players crowds etc. Really good read 

Respects to your late Father 

Thanks for your kind words Barney

I think the biggest change they would notice would be the stadiums, and the comfort and facilities available, in comparison to the days of the terraces . I think the current players would struggle to match the old favorites  in terms of their status within the clubs.

Lack of loyalty and  level of wages would astound them

Haringshairband

I didn't get into football until I moved from Oxgangs Primary to Stenhouse Primary. One of the first questions I was asked by my new classmates was "which team do you support?" So I just chose Hearts on the spot. My grandad had supported them but I didn't know that until after. So it was pretty much a 50/50 decision for me. Best gut decision ever.

N Lincs Jambo

Three things really, red was my favourite colour and maroon was my favourite shade of red; hated the colour green so Hibs obviously wasn’t an option; and thirdly my dad took me to Tynecastle as a 6-year old in 69-70 season despite him being a Celtic supporter. That was it, hooked for life.

Only 2 teams for me, Hearts and Scotland and in that order!

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

My sister is really unattractive 

Aye, but she puts loads of effort in. 

😉

4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Not directly the same but similarities but from the other side.

No one else in my family supports Hearts. Growing up as Catholic and going to a Catholic school, everyone including my family were Celtic fans. But I couldn't stand the bigoted shite that came from that, both in terms of what supporting Celtic often entailed and it's fake Irish loving shite, and also the way the other kids at different schools treated you, calling you a fenian ******* etc. It's a damming indictment on Scotland that there were primary school aged kids having verbals with each other in the mornings with one side calling the other, "Orange *******s", and the other "Fenian *******s". I detested the whole thing. The other big influence on me was my grandad, he was in the Orange Lodge, and he'd take me to Christmas parties there and summer days out to Strathclyde Park etc. I basically had quite a mixture and was exposed to both sides and that probably played a big part in why I detested the bigotry so much. I essentially was clubless for a few years around the age of 12, but loved Scottish football too much and Hearts were the closest club to where I lived and I ended up getting to know a few jambos and went to my first game about 14 and have been a season ticket holder since 15 almost continously (bar my poor student days). 

I have a wee nephew now, 3 years old, and credit to my brother, a Celtic fan, he wasn't allowing anyone to buy him Scottish football strips as he wanted him to make his own choice. Then the Hearts 3rd kit came out, and I asked the question, and to my shock he said I could buy him it. Still won't let my dad buy him a Celtic kit though. So I hope that my nephew will grow up to support us. Step one is complete, next step when he's maybe about 5 I'll try and take him to a game. I might not have been born into it but I hope if my nephew ever answers this question in decades time then I'll be his reason for being a Hearts man. 

Essentially this is what I hope for my nephew. 

Gosh! What a cocktail of influences Alphonse, glad you made your own mind up on who you support and on your outlook on life 👍

CloustonHMFC

Dad and Grandad were Hearts fans, it was never in doubt. Now I feel like Hearts are ingrained in me, moved away last year and the thing I miss most is not getting to games and having to settle with Hearts TV.

When I was younger I used to say I supported Liverpool too but as I grew up I realised I only support Hearts. I have a couple teams who I like to see do well (Liverpool, Edinburgh City, Dortmund) and look out for scores but I’m pretty indifferent if they lose so I can’t say I support them.

Edited by DarioHMFC

coatbridgejambo

I once liked AC Milan a lot always checking out their results and watching on channel 4 back in the day,but now football can rot if there is no HMFC.

coatbridgejambo

My old man had family from Edinburgh,& his uncle took him to games whenever he was through therefore I was brought up a jambo despite my older bro switching to the dark side. rankgers

4 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

There was an absolute open goal further up the thread. I didn’t take it because I didn’t fancy the prolonged lay off, but surely someone else fancied an easy tap in. :lol:

Had a good look.

Only one caught my eye.

Page 2?

39 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, but she puts loads of effort in. 

😉

Seconded.  :thumbsup:

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Morgan said:

Seconded.  :thumbsup:

Good night that. 

"high five" 

19 hours ago, Melbourne Jambo said:

Moved to Edinburgh for a working holiday in 2009 - no prior attachment to Scotland. 

Love football, and supported Melbourne Victory back here, so wanted to check out Scottish Football. First weekend Hearts were at home and the rest is history. 

It was a tough start, first three games were 0-0...... first goal I saw was Gordon Smith at Easter Road. Another 7 derbies whilst I was over there (including the cup final) and still yet to see Hearts lose to Hibs 👍 

Moved back home since but watch as often as I can and been back a couple of time, with another trip in a few weeks.

where in Melbourne are you mate ? have loads of family there

SpruceBringsteen

For me it's because I'm heavy into being part of a bunch of people who whine incessantly about **** all.

Was in hospital getting tonsils out aged about 7 when grandparents  on mothers side brought me a nice new HMFC scarf to cheer me up ,don’t think it went down to well with my dad who was a hibby brought up in leith but from that moment the famous were my team was 1982 and so the rollercoaster began 

John Findlay

My father was born in Clydebank but his tenement was bombed in the Clydebank blitz. They got evacuated to Coatbridge. My dad sold programmes at Broomfield as a laddie. One day the Hearts rolled into town with the terrible trio and my father was hooked. I was never going to support anyone else. I never would through thick and thin and much worse. Hearts are for life not just for Christmas.

When I was a wee laddie I went to a sweetie shop and asked the lady who was serving, “what would be best for me?”, she replied ........ “LOVE HEARTS” ........

TorinoJambo

All my family ( dad, grandfathers, uncles) were jambos. My maternal grandfather saw the jambos while Victoria was still on the throne. Plus I've lived in Penicuik all my life where there are hundreds of us. The said family have never lived in Edinburgh ( Loanhead,Polton, Bonnyrigg and Penicuik). My son is a jambo. I have two daughters - one son in law is a jambo but the other is from the dark side. 2 of my granddaughters are jambos but i'll have to work on my grandson and other granddaughter.

Edited by TorinoJambo

3 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

For me it's because I'm heavy into being part of a bunch of people who whine incessantly about **** all.

:lol:

Might actually watch the next season of Made in Chelsea now. Thanks for the heads up.

Governor Tarkin
On 07/08/2019 at 21:31, muldoon74 said:

My Granny stayed in Colinton Mains, one day she was walking down the road with her washing when Wullie Bauld tapped her shoulder, took her washing off her and carried it to the drying green for her. She always said right to the end (even though she had dementia by then) that you don't get gentlemen like Wullie Bauld anymore.. 

My good lady does some work in an old folks care home now and again, and sometimes she takes our wee boy in with her.

He's only 9 months and not quite walking yet, but if you hold his hands he loves to kick a wee football and chase on after it.

All the old women call him Wee Wullie Bauld.

His old great-grandad would've loved that, had he still been around to hear it.

It's his fault I'm a Hearts supporter, although an honourable mention goes to my dad for taking me along to my first game at around 8 weeks old when he couldn't get a babysitter.

I was tucked into his jacket behind the school end goals with a wee maroon bonnet on.

BarneyBattles44
7 hours ago, merrymac said:

Thanks for your kind words Barney

I think the biggest change they would notice would be the stadiums, and the comfort and facilities available, in comparison to the days of the terraces . I think the current players would struggle to match the old favorites  in terms of their status within the clubs.

Lack of loyalty and  level of wages would astound them

Hear Hear. Thrill for me.  Your Father  would of watched many excellent Hearts sides including my OG Barney jnr .44. My grandad told me how BB jnr would hit a ball so hard would scare you how it effected players is GK in training . never mind matches he was prolific. I spent many young years looking at the Team photo in my grandad's potting shed. And trying to emulate Barney in my life etc . Your old man . I'm happy he witnessed his Hibs winning with old school respect. Thanks for your reply .

I managed 36 in a season

Edited by BarneyBattles44

Melbourne Jambo
6 hours ago, cookieboy said:

where in Melbourne are you mate ? have loads of family there

Live in Ascot Vale, inner north west. 

Finlay James

It's in the genes as my whole family stretching back generations are Jambos.

Ive been going to tynie since 1983, first game was a 3-3 draw v Dunfermline.  I grew up in Peebles and i used to come through with my big brother and never missed a match home or away until I moved to England 13 years ago.  I still have my season ticket though and get up to most matches.

My wife, who is English, is now a Jambo, as are my 3 kids who are Hearts daft.

Man City were always my other team growing up and I used to go to Maine Road once a season during the 80's and 90's but they've lost their identity and I can't really say I'm a city fan anymore.  So it's just the famous for me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My maternal grandparents lived on Wardlaw Place. It was my second home when I was a kid, most of my earliest memories are from there. But the memory that endures, is seeing Hearts in the famous Maroon and White for the first time. That was me, decision made. Not really a decision, more of an epiphany..haven't regretted it for one second. Donald Ford, Bobby Prentice, Jimmy Cruikshank, Tommy Murray and the rest.Thank you. I might have ended up an Aberdeen fan like my dad. **** that for a game o sudgers..

2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

It's in the genes as my whole family stretching back generations are Jambos.

Ive been going to tynie since 1983, first game was a 3-3 draw v Dunfermline.  I grew up in Peebles and i used to come through with my big brother and never missed a match home or away until I moved to England 13 years ago.  I still have my season ticket though and get up to most matches.

My wife, who is English, is now a Jambo, as are my 3 kids who are Hearts daft.

Man City were always my other team growing up and I used to go to Maine Road once a season during the 80's and 90's but they've lost their identity and I can't really say I'm a city fan anymore.  So it's just the famous for me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Interesting point on Man City.  It just shows there is more to supporting a club than just expecting success all the time.  

The Old Tolbooth

I didn't support any Scottish club when I was growing up, although I did have a liking for Rangers, but didn't ever go to a game, I was always Kenny Dalglish mad and fell in love with Liverpool. It wasn't until I was about 14 when all my school mates were Hearts fans and I started going along with them that I got into it, and now Rangers are probably my most hated club in world football! I used to go home and away most seasons but now pick and choose my games for personal reasons. 

Entirely from my dad. My grandpa was a country boy who moved to Edinburgh as an adult and wasn't all that interested in football, so my dad decided (in the 1930s) to support the same team as his best pal. Fortunately, that was Hearts, and I was brought up on stories of Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh, of what Tynecastle was like with crowds of over 40,000, and all the other good things from the 50s.

As a boy, I went often to Easter Road, because people did that sort of thing then and many of my mates were (still are) Hibees. Hibs were much the better team, the games I saw there were generally better than what I saw at Tynecastle, but I never wavered, and was rewarded by how things turned round (or back to normal, really) from 1983 onwards.

My dad also brought me up to be firmly anti-sectarian. "That's not who we are." He was right.

Went to matches with my grandad(rip) & my brother in the late 70's, I always got lifted over the turnstiles, when I was wee.

I miss standing in the shed tho,

great times, great times! except standing in pish, when it rained, plus the smell from the brewery on the walk round from roseburn, you new you were going to tynecastle, loved it.

HHGH 

IT'S IN THE BLOOD 

Edited by rmreido

Finlay James
4 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Interesting point on Man City.  It just shows there is more to supporting a club than just expecting success all the time.  

Definitely mate.  City were  pretty hopeless and I spent years watching them in the lower leagues but they are unrecogniseable now.  The team I supported was full of young Manchester lads and the fans were always so welcoming and friendly to a couple of Scots lads coming down to watch their team.

Its soulless nowadays though and I just lost any interest in them.

Hearts since the sixties, my first game was in 1969 EOS final at ER which we lost. First visit to Tynecastle the following season. I don't know what it was but somehow, wading through pish and singing the sash hooked me and I've never looked back.

Robbo-Jambo
8 hours ago, scratchy said:

My maternal grandparents lived on Wardlaw Place. It was my second home when I was a kid, most of my earliest memories are from there. But the memory that endures, is seeing Hearts in the famous Maroon and White for the first time. That was me, decision made. Not really a decision, more of an epiphany..haven't regretted it for one second. Donald Ford, Bobby Prentice, Jimmy Cruikshank, Tommy Murray and the rest.Thank you. I might have ended up an Aberdeen fan like my dad. **** that for a game o sudgers..

Used to love wee Tommy Murray. 

Cracking player. 

I'm a first generation Jambo , my dad was a lapsed Falkirk fan had an uncle who supported Hearts and another who supported Airdrie. No family member influenced my decision to support Hearts growing up in Linlithgow the fact Donald Ford played for us May have swayed me. Both my daughters are Jambos though the younger one rarely goes to a game her big sister is going on Saturday though.

Class of 75

My dad and grandfather both Jambos. My dad took me to my first game when I was 6 and perched me onto the metal bars when we had terracing. Just felt right and Tynecastle is home. Also had the honour and pleasure to play against the veterans on the Tynecastle pitch which was and still is one of the greatest days of my life. I think we are unique and a fantastic football club. Just love the Hearts. 

Nitten Jambo

Grew up in Nitten . Brought up on stories of the 1956 Cup winning side 5 of whom had played for Nitten Star. Used to go on the Danderhall Supporters bus that picked up in Nitten Mayfield Dalkeith Danderhall and Gilmerton.

Lived in Doncaster and support Sheffield Wednesday. Live in Luton now so  go to watch Millwall and Wednesday when they play in London. Torino my Italian team . Real Madrid my  Spanish team. Anderlecht my Belgian team. Nantesvmy French team.Went to see these teams ...a long time ago ..had pen friends..who I met and went to games with. Met PSG Boulogne Boys and went to to a game with them PSG v Metz that was mental. .Great Days

My Great Grandad played for Hearts in the 1890’s. It’s been in my dads side of the family from there. 

My mum and dad actually met going to the matches as well. She’s from a Hearts family too. There was no other option ever considered. 

Stephen Muddie

It was June 2015. I was alone and slightly aroused, yet relaxed. I thought "I'm gonna support the Hearts of MidEdBoro" even though up until that point I never knew what soccer even was.

It took me a while but I finally graduated to fambo level ten: Legitimate Hearts Fan (LHF) by throwing half a pie at a match official.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

LeylandJambo

I live in a big catchment area with the likes of Liverpool, Everton, and a host of Manchester clubs less than an hour away. Don't support any of them my dad took me to Tynie when I was 3 and I've been a supporter ever since. There's just something magical about being asked by folk down here "Celtic or Rangers"? And the looks I get when I say Hearts is brilliant.