Tranent & Haddington

Jamboross

Hopefully going to be buying my first place in the next couple of months and have been looking around Tranent, Haddington and a few other places in East Lothian since you get zero value for money in Edinburgh. 

I'm not really familiar with them any of these places though so can any East Lothian-ites recommend decent places to live, places to avoid etc? I don't drive so really need to be on a bus route. Went for a nose about Haddington today and it all seemed pretty decent, Tranent seems to have both good and bad but Carlaverock seems ok? 

Cheers!

Haddington is a really nice town. The coast in one direction, the Lammermuirs in the other. Some lovely historic buildings. Expanding rapidly, though, and no rail link.

Tranent is not a place I’m a fan of. Apologies to any natives of Tranent.

Dunbar maybe worth a look?

If you work or have other commitments in town they must be a pain in the chops by public transport.

Midlothian has better bus routes.

Or Scottish borders offer great value. (Galashiels has the train link)

It's all pretty well connected now with East Coast Buses running a bunch of routes out to the sticks. I had considered Penicuik, Bonnyrigg etc but I work near Meadowbank so East Lothian actually works better for transport, could get from Haddington to the office in about 35-40 mins on the X7, slightly longer on the 104 which isn't too bad. 

Had looked at Dunbar as well but the extra half hour or so on the commute is a bit off putting. 

If it's transport links you are after and want to live in East Lothian, then I suggest Wallyford, buses galore going through there, also has the train station.

heartsfc_fan

If it was me I'd be learning to drive (if possible) and that will further help your search.

I live in Midlothian and we'd struggle if we didn't have both our cars. We've got a family and a dog so kind of makes sense I guess.

I can get from Gorebridge to Meadowbank in 25 mins most mornings driving.

Harry Potter
8 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Hopefully going to be buying my first place in the next couple of months and have been looking around Tranent, Haddington and a few other places in East Lothian since you get zero value for money in Edinburgh. 

I'm not really familiar with them any of these places though so can any East Lothian-ites recommend decent places to live, places to avoid etc? I don't drive so really need to be on a bus route. Went for a nose about Haddington today and it all seemed pretty decent, Tranent seems to have both good and bad but Carlaverock seems ok? 

Cheers!

Haddington is great mate, had a great aunt that stayed there, many a trip down there loved the place .

10 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Cheers!

Not sure that's true. To be able to live in a great city that's often voted best or only second to London in the UK for a fraction of the cost of buying in London and at a comparable price to the nicer parts of the Midlands seems a great deal.

Strikes me as great value for money.

In terms of bricks and mortar, yes, you'll get less but that shouldn't be your sole motivator for buying your first property. 

Edit: that said, I do love East Lothian and will probably look to move there when I return to Scotland but choose it because you like it, not because you'll get an extra room to fill with junk

Edited by Taffin

Prestonpans has 2 relatively newly built areas and a third currently being constructed across from the Royal Musselburgh Golf Course.

124 and 26 buses and only 14 minutes from Prestonpans to Waverley on the train. A1 bypass nearby. 

All 3 new build estates are on the outskirts of the town.

East Lothian is a great place to live, but I'd only pick here if you don't really bother about being in the center of Edinburgh.  If you want a house rather than a flat it makes sense as you will pick up a house cheaper.  It might be a bit isolating during the weekends and weeknights if you didnt have a car though

There is a some places in East Lothian that are not as cheap as you'd expect - haddington being one.  Tranent is fine if you dont expect much from the high st

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Prestonpans has 2 relatively newly built areas and a third currently being constructed across from the Royal Musselburgh Golf Course.

124 and 26 buses and only 14 minutes from Prestonpans to Waverley on the train. A1 bypass nearby. 

All 3 new build estates are on the outskirts of the town.

I use pans to Edinburgh train link a lot - takes about 10 mins so well good

I used to live in Inverkeithing in Fife. 98% of trains going north stopped there plus bus service to Edinburgh is good.

Houses prices at the time were good.

I have visited East Lothian hundreds of times and North Berwick is the best. 

gashauskis9

Get down the borders chief.  Great value for money (4-5 bedroom houses for the price of 2-3 bedrooms in East Lothian) and good transport links nowadays.

10 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I can get from Gorebridge to Meadowbank in 25 mins most mornings driving.

What time of the morning are you leaving at to do that?

heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, Shrekeo said:

What time of the morning are you leaving at to do that?

8:50-8:55am

Usually in the office (Cannonmills area) by 9:30.

Cruyff Turn
3 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Get down the borders chief.  Great value for money (4-5 bedroom houses for the price of 2-3 bedrooms in East Lothian) and good transport links nowadays.

True, you could get a 6 bedroom mansion in the borders for 250k.

Unfortunately it’s an awful and backward place to live.

Goodness me. The OP asks about EastLothian, and so far people are trying to move him to Midlothian, Fife and the fecking Borders! 

22 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Goodness me. The OP asks about EastLothian, and so far people are trying to move him to Midlothian, Fife and the fecking Borders! 

😂 It's the Kickback way really, isn't it? Just glad no-one's brought Levein into it yet! 

All these other places have their merits but realistically East Lothian works best for my circumstances. 

Got a few viewings lined up in Musselburgh and Tranent so hopefully find something decent soon. 

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

:rofl:

21 hours ago, belly said:

If it's transport links you are after and want to live in East Lothian, then I suggest Wallyford, buses galore going through there, also has the train station.

Thats a really good shout.. 

I've lived in Tranent - easy to get to edinburgh.. A little bit of a trek on the way home after midnight but much better than Haddington! 

On 28/07/2019 at 19:18, Jamboross said:

Cheers!

We lived in Carlaverock. It's not as nice as it may seem. If there's a choice, I'd avoid Tranent (unless it's changed for the better in the last 10 years, which I guess is possible). There seem to have been plenty of new houses built in Musselburgh, down towards the racecourse end. My advice would be go around the areas you are interested in after it gets dark, as they can seem very very different places, before you make an offer.

1 hour ago, chubby1973 said:

If you're looking in Tranent, then avoid anywhere that has colgate in the address. 

Toothpaste?

It's Coalgate.  :thumbsup: 

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, chubby1973 said:

If you're looking in Tranent, then avoid anywhere that has colgate in the address. 

It’s like everywhere else mate there’s more good than bad. Coalgate is the ex council houses though so tends to be a bit rougher. 

I live in a decent bit in Musselburgh and caught a guy chasing the dragon in my stair the other week.

There’s vermin everywhere nowadays. 

On 29/07/2019 at 01:05, Alan_R said:

If you work or have other commitments in town they must be a pain in the chops by public transport.

Midlothian has better bus routes.

Or Scottish borders offer great value. (Galashiels has the train link)

Tranent has a very good bus service.

The Pans, Musselburgh and Wallyford have the best transport links in East Lothian though.Also Haddington Hasan extra charge for bus travel.Pretty much everywhere past Tranent ,Prestonpans and Port Seton then the fares cost more.

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s like everywhere else mate there’s more good than bad. Coalgate is the ex council houses though so tends to be a bit rougher. 

I live in a decent bit in Musselburgh and caught a guy chasing the dragon in my stair the other week.

There’s vermin everywhere nowadays. 

True.

Places get a reputation by name and it sticks The Pans is generally a great place to live now.Lovely walks great rail and bus links and new houses everywhere.Still folk think it's the wild west though and nothing could be further from the truth.

jack D and coke
Just now, vegas-voss said:

True.

Places get a reputation by name and it sticks The Pans is generally a great place to live now.Lovely walks great rail and bus links and new houses everywhere.Still folk think it's the wild west though and nothing could be further from the truth.

Pans suffers from a really poor town centre imo, it’s pretty depressing but it’s a changed place from when I was young that’s for sure. The goth is ok but I wouldn’t drink anywhere else down there which is a bit off putting for incomers I’d reckon. 

They need to build something up beside all these nice new houses, community centres and shops and whatever, feels like Livingston or something up there, just roundabouts and houses. 

Wallyford won't just be the little place buses pass by either soon.The development there it's going to be about 5 times the size it is now.Also has a brand new school built.

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Pans suffers from a really poor town centre imo, it’s pretty depressing but it’s a changed place from when I was young that’s for sure. The goth is ok but I wouldn’t drink anywhere else down there which is a bit off putting for incomers I’d reckon. 

They need to build something up beside all these nice new houses, community centres and shops and whatever, feels like Livingston or something up there, just roundabouts and houses. 

It's got the Legion and the labour club but the Railway is a no go area.

There were plans I'm sure for 5 commercial units in those newest built house across from Royal Musselburgh.Think the residents in the build before didn't want it though.The shopping is more like a village in the Pans than the town it has become I like it though I find Musselburgh far too busy.

Edited by vegas-voss

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's got the Legion and the labour club but the Railway is a no go area.

Forgot about the legion actually👍🏼

Was the Johnny Cope that was the worst. Used to be full of clowns in there. 

8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Forgot about the legion actually👍🏼

Was the Johnny Cope that was the worst. Used to be full of clowns in there. 

Aye that's gone now only the dasher left up there.I don't venture up that way much now.

Edited by vegas-voss

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Aye that's gone now only the dasher left up there.I don't venture up that way much that way though.

Worked with a guy that stayed up that way few years ago so ventured in a couple of times, safe to say I was on edge :lol: 

On 29/07/2019 at 00:18, Jamboross said:

Cheers!

If your still young, and buying by yourself, just get a flat in Edinburgh. You won’t get as much for your money but commute will be easier and the property will likely grow in value quicker. 

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Tranent has a very good bus service.

The Pans, Musselburgh and Wallyford have the best transport links in East Lothian though.Also Haddington Hasan extra charge for bus travel.Pretty much everywhere past Tranent ,Prestonpans and Port Seton then the fares cost more.

Was more thinking time.the bus routes weave all through mussel urgh and take an age.

Forgot about the train. Very good from wallyford/musselburgh but not sure there's a train route tranent /Haddington?

5 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Was more thinking time.the bus routes weave all through mussel urgh and take an age.

Forgot about the train. Very good from wallyford/musselburgh but not sure there's a train route tranent /Haddington?

Aye neither of those two have a train link.

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

It’s high time they did imo. They’re chucking up literally hundreds and hundreds of houses from pans, wallyford, strawberry corner and elsewhere and doing nothing to the infrastructure anywhere. Everybody piling onto the bypass will be great. 

Edited by jack D and coke

8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s high time they did imo. They’re chucking up literally hundreds and hundreds of houses from pans, wallyford, strawberry corner and elsewhere and doing nothing to the infrastructure anywhere. Everybody piling onto the bypass will be great. 

Then you have the brand new build village at Blindwells that I have noticed are getting ready for the first builds.Bypass will be chaos soon.

New house going up in straiton, Bonnyrigg and East Lothian all going to be piling into a bypass that was too small as soon as it was built!

Drem is on the cards

for expansion as it already has a train station.

It is a bit rural at the present time.

If a house comes up for sale and it suits grab it with both hands.

The wee town is getting by-passed and values will rocket..

Psychedelicropcircle

Thought this was an RiP thread 😱😂

yours sincerely a panner 🥴

chuck berrys hairline

My ex monster in-law stays in Tranent so give it a bye 😂 

Also if anyone frequents Gregg's in Tranent she's one of the shift bosses. I wouldn't buy she's always on fab swingers and used to be a spoon burner 🤢😷

10 hours ago, graygo said:

Toothpaste?

It's Coalgate.  :thumbsup: 

And to think my old boy & granddad were coal merchants there as well!?!  Do'h!! 

On 29/07/2019 at 00:18, Jamboross said:

Cheers!

I never understand this. You get the value for money that you would expect living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. You have a raft of fine dining, pubs, rivers, hills, a great transport service and a whole world of shit to do anytime you please. 

Tranent is s shithole, which is why its cheap. Id say theres less value buying a cheap house in Tranent than an 'expensive' one in Edinburgh. 

each to their own tho, enjoy leaving any night out by half nine. 

18 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

That doesn't really make sense as the pans, Wallyford and Strawberry Corner are all next to park and ride facilities or a railway station. Also someone mentioned the new village at Blindwells, it also will have a railway station.

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, graygo said:

That doesn't really make sense as the pans, Wallyford and Strawberry Corner are all next to park and ride facilities or a railway station. Also someone mentioned the new village at Blindwells, it also will have a railway station.

You ever been on these morning or evening trains? Seen how busy the car parks are at train station and park and rides too? They’re already over capacity as is the bypass. 

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You ever been on these morning or evening trains? Seen how busy the car parks are at train station and park and rides too? They’re already over capacity as is the bypass. 

To be fair no I haven't. Sounds shite.

34 minutes ago, The Brow said:

I never understand this. You get the value for money that you would expect living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. You have a raft of fine dining, pubs, rivers, hills, a great transport service and a whole world of shit to do anytime you please. 

Tranent is s shithole, which is why its cheap. Id say theres less value buying a cheap house in Tranent than an 'expensive' one in Edinburgh. 

each to their own tho, enjoy leaving any night out by half nine. 

Do you get banned from taking advantage of all that by moving out of the city like? I love Edinburgh, there's no where I'd rather live, but at my end of the market the vast majority of 2 bed housing is in absolute shite hole areas and the ones that aren't generally need a fair amount of work done then when the odd gem does come up the competition is fierce. 

It's a balancing act. Moving to Musselburgh, Wallyford, the Pans, Tranent etc I'm still close enough to take advantage of all the best bits of the city but can enjoy a bigger range of housing that I can actually afford with no shortage of transport links. Hell there's even night buses to Dunbar running until about 3am, not that I last that long on a night out these days anyway, so I'll not be missing much! 

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, graygo said:

To be fair no I haven't. Sounds shite.

They’re really busy mate. By the time they’ve built all these extra houses I can’t imagine it being better in a few years without some pretty decent investment in the infrastructure tbh.