Mikey1874

The Ashes

ri Alban
1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Reckon Anderson would've been the difference. An attack of him, Broad and Archer would've been quite something.

Jimmy was a big miss. Fantastic bowler.

RobboM
2 hours ago, JWL said:

It just rankles that as much as Warner, Smith and Bancroft did cheat, they paid for their respective misdemeanours and Smith in particular has come back stronger than ever.

What gets me is the fact that Joe Root blatantly cheated in claiming the catch of Marnus in the drawn test at Lord's and hasn't for one second been called out for it. Only Michael Holding in the studio at the time called it as a non catch, Nasser and Athers were both so reluctant to convey the same message.

Not a fact
Did not cheat
Given out by the umpire
Upheld by 3rd umpire
Absolutely **** all to see here

JWL
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Not a fact
Did not cheat
Given out by the umpire
Upheld by 3rd umpire
Absolutely **** all to see here

You are joking right?

Given out as a soft signal on field because Root held up the finger advising he had caught the ball; this was the only reason for the soft out signal.

Upheld by the 3rd umpire because somehow the officials miraculously couldn't access the magnification view that has never failed prior to this event.

Michael Holding called it right away; when the full on shot was showed, it clearly shows, even minus the magnification view, that there is absolutely no way that Root had both hands under the ball before it hit the deck. 

Joe Root cheated, it's as simple as that and it was pretty obvious at the time that Athers and Nasser knew the same and just wanted to move on from the situation. Big fan of those 2 but was disappointed in this case.

RobboM
34 minutes ago, JWL said:

You are joking right?

Given out as a soft signal on field because Root held up the finger advising he had caught the ball; this was the only reason for the soft out signal.

Upheld by the 3rd umpire because somehow the officials miraculously couldn't access the magnification view that has never failed prior to this event.

Michael Holding called it right away; when the full on shot was showed, it clearly shows, even minus the magnification view, that there is absolutely no way that Root had both hands under the ball before it hit the deck. 

Joe Root cheated, it's as simple as that and it was pretty obvious at the time that Athers and Nasser knew the same and just wanted to move on from the situation. Big fan of those 2 but was disappointed in this case.

No, not joking.
Only the umpire can give the player out NOT Root whether he claimed it or not. The umpire's angle PLUS the side on angle of the square leg umpire both agreed it was out. Both sides will make 100s of appeals that they know full well are not out, and a few that they genuinely think are out, that's cricket. It's an absolute nothing of a complaint against Root as far as I can see.

Tommy Brown
4 minutes ago, RobboM said:

No, not joking.
Only the umpire can give the player out NOT Root whether he claimed it or not. The umpire's angle PLUS the side on angle of the square leg umpire both agreed it was out. Both sides will make 100s of appeals that they know full well are not out, and a few that they genuinely think are out, that's cricket. It's an absolute nothing of a complaint against Root as far as I can see.

That's not cricket

Famous old English saying, go figure.

Disappointing, even more so by an England captain.

JWL
7 minutes ago, RobboM said:

No, not joking.

Sorry, not having any of that. Joe Root claimed a catch that was clearly never taken. It's happened before and will no doubt happen again but it is still cheating and Joe Root cheated. It was clear for all to see but because it was England's golden child, who I may add I had a shed load of respect for prior to this incident, it has been conveniently swept under the carpet.

RobboM
6 minutes ago, JWL said:

Sorry, not having any of that. Joe Root claimed a catch that was clearly never taken. It's happened before and will no doubt happen again but it is still cheating and Joe Root cheated. It was clear for all to see but because it was England's golden child, who I may add I had a shed load of respect for prior to this incident, it has been conveniently swept under the carpet.

Clearly it wasn't .... unless the umpires were cheating too.

Anyway, an incident that rates about 0.1 on the Richter Scale of the series. Check the book, he's out 🙂

Maybe we should both just ....

image.png.68d2c20d13accc35e91ca4fc4d5a4ce1.png

JWL
1 minute ago, RobboM said:

Clearly it wasn't .... unless the umpires were cheating too.

Anyway, an incident that rates about 0.1 on the Richter Scale of the series. Check the book, he's out 🙂

Maybe we should both just ....

image.png.68d2c20d13accc35e91ca4fc4d5a4ce1.png

Made me laugh.................hoping for 3-1 now though.

RobboM
8 minutes ago, JWL said:

Made me laugh.................hoping for 3-1 now though.

👍
Will probably get it too! Aussies on a high and England played poorly enough when there was still a glimmer of hope.
I'll be keeping a close eye on the Somerset score this week. Just a chance of lifting their first ever County Championship

redjambo

Definitely a good catch.

Joe-Root-catch.jpeg?fit=700,365&ssl=1

JWL
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Definitely a good catch.

Joe-Root-catch.jpeg?fit=700,365&ssl=1

Think his pinky is under the ball. Desperation stuff from Root and to raise his finger to call it as out is just simply cheating.

Mikey1874

Chris Woakes and Sam Curran replace Jason Roy and Craig Overton. Ben Stokes will bat only. 

Lee_Mellon
On 10/09/2019 at 21:09, RobboM said:

👍
Will probably get it too! Aussies on a high and England played poorly enough when there was still a glimmer of hope.
I'll be keeping a close eye on the Somerset score this week. Just a chance of lifting their first ever County Championship

Looks like Somerset having the best of the current matches. As a long time Essex fan I’m distraught!

RobboM
8 hours ago, Lee_Mellon said:

Looks like Somerset having the best of the current matches. As a long time Essex fan I’m distraught!

I was following both matches yesterday and it swung hugely towards Somerset. It's all bubbling up nicely and the final match of the season is Somerset v Essex at Taunton!

JWL

Australia win the toss and surprisingly are having a bowl. Thought it was a day for batting but Tim Paine clearly wants early wickets to put some pressure on.

Mikey1874

Mitchell Starc who is dropped has had a bit of a rough deal. But maybe a factor has been the World Cup where he was top wicket taker. Another success at World Cup David Warner has struggled too. I think the World Cup is a factor for England too. Notably Mark Wood and Adil Rashid got injured. But not conclusive I think. Aussies still deserved it. 

RobboM
34 minutes ago, JWL said:

Australia win the toss and surprisingly are having a bowl. Thought it was a day for batting but Tim Paine clearly wants early wickets to put some pressure on.

So far in this over the cheating Aussies have appealed for a catch which CLEARLY came off the thigh and Labuschagne refused to signal a 4 which CLEARLY reached the boundary 😉

RobboM

Not a bad morning's cricket, 86-1. England helped hugely by 2 uncharacteristic drops. Rory Burns has been the pick of the openers from either side in a series which has shredded a few reputations.

JWL
3 hours ago, RobboM said:

So far in this over the cheating Aussies have appealed for a catch which CLEARLY came off the thigh and Labuschagne refused to signal a 4 which CLEARLY reached the boundary 😉

Chuckle............have to take your word for it as I'm following this on TMS as at work. Nothing wrong with appealing though;)

RobboM
3 minutes ago, JWL said:

Chuckle............have to take your word for it as I'm following this on TMS as at work. Nothing wrong with appealing though;)

Mostly true 😉

I've got the Sky coverage on .... just the distraction of Brexit keeping me away from it 😂
Root now dropped 3 times on his way to 40*, very scratchy so far

JWL

Stokes though...............

RobboM

Meanwhile down in Taunton Somerset have Yorkshire 8 down and one absent ill needing another 300 runs and Essex are still in their 1st Innings chasing a mammoth 517

Mon the Cidermen :food-smiley-004:

Mikey1874
5 hours ago, RobboM said:

Meanwhile down in Taunton Somerset have Yorkshire 8 down and one absent ill needing another 300 runs and Essex are still in their 1st Innings chasing a mammoth 517

Mon the Cidermen :food-smiley-004:

I would be pleased for Somerset finally winning the Championship.

They do get stick over their pitch but you have to play away too. 

Another good finish in store. Championship gets slagged but seems okay. 

RobboM
15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I would be pleased for Somerset finally winning the Championship.

They do get stick over their pitch but you have to play away too. 

Another good finish in store. Championship gets slagged but seems okay. 

They've come close, runners up 4 times in the 2010s.

The day when the Pope was last in town in 2010 I was working in the city centre. I knew it would be a busy commute and coincidently Somerset were playing Durham at Chester le Street so I avoided the Pope's visit and headed down for what was the last day and Somerset needing a win to secure the title ... they fell just short.

I've had the last game of the season (sep 23-26) pencilled in for a while but it's looking unlikely now with the Hibs game on the Sunday 22nd before it and the Aberdeen qtr final on the 3rd day 25th.

Mikey1874

No hard feelings.

IMG_20190912_225233.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

AW1

Nothing and I mean nothing in sport can compare to the England test match batting collapse. Growing up in the 90s I thought ah its just this generation........ Oh no....... Every generation of England squad manage to collapse In spectacular style, its like its a module to master in the private schools in England, like a fine art. 

Aussies to win this again for me, fair play to them, weakest test side in years on paper, they're bowling has been spot on and Steve Smith will be in the future remembered as one of the greatest of all time. No hard feelings from me whatsoever 

Mikey1874
7 hours ago, AW1 said:

Nothing and I mean nothing in sport can compare to the England test match batting collapse. Growing up in the 90s I thought ah its just this generation........ Oh no....... Every generation of England squad manage to collapse In spectacular style, its like its a module to master in the private schools in England, like a fine art. 

Aussies to win this again for me, fair play to them, weakest test side in years on paper, they're bowling has been spot on and Steve Smith will be in the future remembered as one of the greatest of all time. No hard feelings from me whatsoever 

Yes

But I would also say that is part of the reason England games are entertaining. Win a game after getting bowled out for 67? Epic. 

Ever since Duncan Fletcher was coach from 2000, England games generally have been good watches. Not necessarily for England supporters though. 

RobboM

Warner out dirt cheap again

image.png.1533495569e2cbb321215a0cb1bfbcb6.png

Mikey1874

It's funny. You look at the Australia side and it's full of weaknesss. But Smith and Cummins with some support have been good enough on their own. 

Cummins is now 1 wicket short of equalling the world record for wickets in a series. 

RobboM
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's funny. You look at the Australia side and it's full of weaknesss. But Smith and Cummins with some support have been good enough on their own. 

Cummins is now 1 wicket short of equalling the world record for wickets in a series. 

Record is most wickets without taking a 5 wicket haul. Bit niche! 😉

DETTY29

I'm not really convinced Warner's bat touched the ball.  Is it possible to swipe at fresh air so hard, it makes the nick tracker, or whatever it is called, move?  Ah well, them's the breaks.

But the one with Wade just now, clear inside edge onto pad and the officials still managed to get as far as ball tracker for the lbw decision.

RobboM
7 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I'm not really convinced Warner's bat touched the ball.  Is it possible to swipe at fresh air so hard, it makes the nick tracker, or whatever it is called, move?  Ah well, them's the breaks.

But the one with Wade just now, clear inside edge onto pad and the officials still managed to get as far as ball tracker for the lbw decision.

Agree on the Wade one, the 3rd umpire seemed in a real hurry, I thought the no ball possibility needed a closer look, definitely felt like an inside edge. Just as well ball tracking called it right!

Warner was out, the spike came when the bat and ball are the only things in play and I'm pretty sure he knew it too. Interresting though they missed an edge from Labuschagne early on that looked well worth an appeal.

Boris

118-4

Smith still in, obvs.

DETTY29
1 minute ago, Boris said:

118-4

Smith still in, obvs.

Stay in for 15 runs, Steve will add 20-25.

And repeat.

And again.

RobboM

Apologies for the Brexit crossover but it made me chuckle (from Twitter)

“Why don’t England’s batsmen just refuse to obey the laws, and stay at the crease? The convention is that we let the Australians board a plane home. But it’s not actually in the constitution.”

Mikey1874

Smith has now scored ten 50s in a row against England (obviously a lot ended up as 100s). 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It's as if Steve Smith is actually too good for the sport. It almost undermines the contest. Guys barely human. 

RobboM
2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

It's as if Steve Smith is actually too good for the sport. It almost undermines the contest. Guys barely human. 

Ya think?
😁

You are incredibly unlucky with your timiing there Eldar 😉

Edited by RobboM

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Ya think?
😁

You are incredibly unlucky with your timiing there Eldar 😉

Hahaha. I'll try it again in the second innings. 

RobboM

Both teams have batted and it's advantage England.

The decision to put England in might come back to haunt the Aussies. Interesting to see the analysis on Smith's dismissal in that it followed 3-4 near identical balls and the dismissal bounced much lower. Expect the pitch to deteriorate through the remaining days and batting last to be awkward.

Justin Z

Just need England to put up a 60 or something again and Oz'll be fiiiiiine

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I think he is a great example and role model (having served his punishment too). He has found his own way to play. Not necessarily the most naturally talented. Written off by lots of 'experts' and ex players when he was a bit part bowler (similar actually to Kevin Pietersen). 

But he's found a technique and his eye for the ball is unmatched. Find your own way. A great example. Great to watch. 

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Both teams have batted and it's advantage England.

The decision to put England in might come back to haunt the Aussies. Interesting to see the analysis on Smith's dismissal in that it followed 3-4 near identical balls and the dismissal bounced much lower. Expect the pitch to deteriorate through the remaining days and batting last to be awkward.

Woakes has got him out lbw twice previously in other series. 

England bowled very well today. And young Sam Curran will be as good as Botham. By the way he is a batsman first. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Mikey1874
4 hours ago, RobboM said:

Agree on the Wade one, the 3rd umpire seemed in a real hurry, I thought the no ball possibility needed a closer look, definitely felt like an inside edge. Just as well ball tracking called it right!

Warner was out, the spike came when the bat and ball are the only things in play and I'm pretty sure he knew it too. Interresting though they missed an edge from Labuschagne early on that looked well worth an appeal.

Warner didn't hit the ball. It was a strange decision. They are meant to use their eyes and not just be slaves to the technology. They need to review the sound system especially how it might pick out other sounds.

Labuschagne was out. Clearly hit the ball even if the sound spike was minimal. Fielders can miss them too. 

Mikey1874

Edited by Mikey1874

RobboM
52 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

England bowled very well today. And young Sam Curran will be as good as Botham. By the way he is a batsman first. 

Sam Curran's bowling gives Root a real alternative. Even without Stokes' bowling the attack feels quite balanced. 5 distinct options and throw in Stokes and Root on top if needed.

132goals1958
15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Without doubt an extremely promising talent but that is a fairly sweeping assertion.

RobboM

How bad have the opening partnerships been (on both sides)
233 runs in ALL opening partnerships averaging 12.26
Today's is the first 50 opening partnership of the series.
Good bowling? Poor batting? Both?

Tommy Brown
On 05/09/2019 at 16:16, Jeff said:

Just seen the highlights.

A couple of bad non-review decisions by Paine.

I really hope Smith pulls out an astonishing innings to outdo Stokes' one.

Boof

What think you about the Aussies bowling to use up overs but NOT take wickets and pressure Root into making the declaration?

Batting 4th chasing the thick end of 400 as it currently stands could be tricky to win but could stifle England to a draw depending how long they have. Especially with Warner's form currently sunning itself on a beach somewhere.