Mikey1874

On 27/08/2019 at 17:36, Maroon Sailor said:

So we have a Pope playing cricket. I remember a Bishop played

On 27/08/2019 at 17:53, jonnothejambo said:

Yep. West Indian fast bowler. 

Mind could be playing tricks, but hasn’t there also been a Mon(c)k?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobboM

• Mikey1874

• Sooperstar

• JWL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Boris said:

Mind could be playing tricks, but hasn’t there also been a Mon(c)k?

I seem to recall George Monks playing in the 50s.

Recall it from the Google search I just done.

46 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I seem to recall George Monks playing in the 50s.

Recall it from the Google search I just done.

Well done you! I had no idea and then felt the 35 degree Puligian heat was getting to me.

Are England now favourites to win with momentum, or does the return of Smithy tip the balance back to Australia?

What's the thinking, folks?

Edited by ri Alban

13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Ian Chappell played for the Aussies in the 70's

Along with Greg and Trevor. Adam Gilchrist's nickname was 'Church',

On 26/08/2019 at 20:19, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sorry, but as good an innings as Stokes played, he is totally talking bollocks here. Joel Wilson shat himself big time with as big a bottle job as you will ever see. It was going nowhere other than straight onto middle and leg stump. Batsmen always claim to be unaware of what they nick or miss so he is stretching belief to say that.

Anyone who claims otherwise is simply trying to cover up a totally unacceptable mistake by an umpire who would be out his depth in a paddling pool.

If it is the case, which it never was, then DRS would need to be pulled with immediate effect as it could never be trusted again. You are placing belief in an umpire who has made mistake after mistake in three test matches and disregard a computer system that has been reliable and accepted for years.

It's actually up there as one of the worst ever umpiring decisions I've witnessed. To be honest, Australia have been on the receiving end of some pretty awful decisions this series already, the 'catch' by Joe Root at Lord's (yeah right!) was a shocker and the failure by DRS to not employ the full use of the magnification system they would normally use was dubious to say the least. Of course Australia haven't helped themselves by their own poor use of DRS; however, they have been treated harshly. This one though tops the lot. He would (or should) have known that England had one review left and would have got out of jail had any LBW decision been overturned. The fact is that it was plumb and why it wasn't given, only Joel Wilson knows.

16 minutes ago, JWL said:

It's actually up there as one of the worst ever umpiring decisions I've witnessed. To be honest, Australia have been on the receiving end of some pretty awful decisions this series already, the 'catch' by Joe Root at Lord's (yeah right!) was a shocker and the failure by DRS to not employ the full use of the magnification system they would normally use was dubious to say the least. Of course Australia haven't helped themselves by their own poor use of DRS; however, they have been treated harshly. This one though tops the lot. He would (or should) have known that England had one review left and would have got out of jail had any LBW decision been overturned. The fact is that it was plumb and why it wasn't given, only Joel Wilson knows.

Good decision. Keeps the series going and It's good seeing the Aussies get beat at Cricket.

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Good decision. Keeps the series going and It's good seeing the Aussies get beat at Cricket.

It certainly keeps the series going but it was the worst decision seen in many a year, as you well know. Ironically, it was another piss poor decision back in 2005 which kept The Ashes alive when Kaprowicz was adjudged to have gloved to Jones with just 2 runs required. Shocker of a decision back then too.

The word is England will change the batting line up

1. Denly

2. Burns

3. Root

4. Roy 

And re above I make England favourites.

On 31/08/2019 at 21:59, jonnothejambo said:

I think Australia are shot and that England will win both remaining Tests. 

Shot?

Don't see that Johno, embarrassed maybe, but will be sure to make amends.

England still need at least a win and a draw.

Aussies to win 4th Test.

(Hope not, want the drama to go onto the final test)

Looks like it's to be pishing down in Manchester on Wednesday and Friday. Could be set for a final test decider at The Oval with The Aussies just needing a draw to retain the urn.

Brighton Jambo
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:59, JWL said:

Both sides have had bad decisions and is precisely why the DRS system was introduced, to allow real howlers to be overturned.  However Australia wasted their last review on a ridiculous ball that so clearly pitched outside leg stump from Cummins.  They can have absolutely no one to blame but themselves and even Glenn McGrath, the most partisan of commentators, said the same.  

On 02/09/2019 at 13:25, Brighton Jambo said:

Both sides have had bad decisions and is precisely why the DRS system was introduced, to allow real howlers to be overturned.  However Australia wasted their last review on a ridiculous ball that so clearly pitched outside leg stump from Cummins.  They can have absolutely no one to blame but themselves and even Glenn McGrath, the most partisan of commentators, said the same.  

Agree to a certain extent in that The Aussies have wasted several reviews; however, I still believe that they have been on the receiving end of the worst of the decisions. The Joe Root 'catch' and the LBW shout against Stokes being the worst of the lot. In the end the Root 'catch' never had a direct effect on the match, but it showed him up as basically a cheat as there is no way in Hell he cleanly took that catch. The decision not to give the LBW decision against Stokes was just either extremely poor umpiring, of which this guy has been guilty of all throughout the series, or just a case of not wanting Australia to win. Having said all that, the innings by Ben Stokes was ust awe inspiring and I stood and applauded along with everyone else in the bar I was watching it in.......................................in Liverpool:oTremendous banter though.

pharmaceutical01
On 31/08/2019 at 10:59, JWL said:

Absolutely no sympathy for Aussies about umpiring decisions- England would go through whole tours in Australia without getting one LBW decision and the fact that ‘Aussies’ never walk and their subsequent treatment of Broad - karma coming back on them

6 minutes ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

Absolutely no sympathy for Aussies about umpiring decisions- England would go through whole tours in Australia without getting one LBW decision and the fact that ‘Aussies’ never walk and their subsequent treatment of Broad - karma coming back on them

Maybe historically for England yeah, I'll agree, but certainly not since the early 90's when the fact is that Australia were simply far too good and didn't require the use of overtly biased umpiring decisions that we have seen in 2005 and again in this series. As for 'Aussies' never walk; quite right, if it's contentious. Stuart Broad and Joe Root are cheats, simple as that, albeit a different kind of cheat to Smith, Warner and Bancroft, but cheats all the same. Anyway, let's keep the banter up from tomorrow as it's not looking great weather wise. Could be looking at a decider at The Oval................Test Match cricket is the dogs bollocks.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Australia win toss and bat.

Difficult to see how England can pick up runs without access to the bat. Advantage Australia.

30 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Difficult to see how England can pick up runs without access to the bat. Advantage Australia.

Yeah

Fragile Aussie batting needs to deliver today. 

27 minutes ago, merrymac said:

See Jonny Bairstow must be a staunch Jambo - number 51:thumbsup:

I think there might be something in that. We could certainly point it out to him. 

Also for his Dad who was born in 1951.

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

I think there might be something in that. We could certainly point it out to him. 

Good bit of detective work there  Mikey.

12 hours ago, merrymac said:

See Jonny Bairstow must be a staunch Jambo - number 51:thumbsup:

Jofra Archer and Sam Curran too.

Nathan Lyon though.....

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

Smith has cheat codes enabled

:thumbsup:

So what now for the Poms.

what do the need to score to prevent a follow on?

can see a batting collapse tomorrow.

edit

once the team batting second to bat again straight after their original innings has finished. In test cricket, the follow on can only be enforced if the team batting first achieves a first innings lead of at least 200 runs.

yip, games a bogey for England.

Edited by Tommy Brown

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

The follow on seems the only chance Australia have of winning this. Think the forecast is for today to be quite rain interrupted again.

Very rarely do teams enforce the follow on these days; however, with the rain delays on Wednesday and more expected today, if, big if mind, Australia are in a position to do so, they will certainly stick England in again.

17 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Back to being shite then...

Depends on the weather.

Beauty of test match is that you can get battered, pisses down, still get a draw and regroup for next time.

If cricket was only played in England and Wales mind.....

New Zealand can get a bit wet too I suppose.

Edited by DETTY29

Lovely moment yesterday with smith.

it looed up off him and dropped behind the stumps, he had chased behind and flicked it away before bairstow could get to it.

bairstow was fuming :lol:

Not to forget, getting back in after being caught from an no-ball.